Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Our dwindling supply of author's
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

althen artren
Senior Scribe

USA
780 Posts

Posted - 19 Nov 2008 :  18:57:38  Show Profile Send althen artren a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
So, have we complained and slandered enough that some of the
authors of our forums are no longer visiting Candlekeep?
Eric Boyd hasn't posted in his thread for over a year, and
Rich Baker has come by as well.

Fearless leaders, have we been blacklisted? Do we know anything?
Are they too busy for us? I understand if they were insulted, I
just wanted to know facts.

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3738 Posts

Posted - 19 Nov 2008 :  19:22:34  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-Rich Baker answers queries asked of him at WotC, daily/weekly/somewhere thereabouts, as does Paul Kemp. Eytan Bernstein makes cameo appearances every now and then, as well.

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerūn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerūn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Fillow
Master of Realmslore

France
1608 Posts

Posted - 19 Nov 2008 :  19:27:18  Show Profile  Visit Fillow's Homepage Send Fillow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
if Authors are part of our greatest scribes, they have no duty within the Keep. They came to the Keep for our pleasure but I think we're not allowed to... "reproch" them for anything.
It depends on their schedule, their work, their desire to write about the Realms, to defend what they wrote about Realms,...
There is no contract between the Keep and the Authors/Designers.
We have the honor to read them directly (except from Ed ) and we should not ask more from them.

But that's just my opinion.

EDIT : I do not know a French forum where French original designers come and discuss with their fans. There always (almost) are "middle-persons". I think we are very lucky to be able to discuss with Elaine, Jaleigh, Lisa, Brian, George, Steven, Erik, Sean, James, Paul, Thomas, Bruce, Richard, Eric, Edward, Eytan,...
I just want to thank them for that

"Today is a good day to smile",
Fillow Big'n'Book Mahlemiut 'Lead-dog', Son of Garl, Wanderer of the Masked Leaf and Namer of Oghma.

- Fight in the arena and have fun ! :
La brute.com
- Feel free to take part to these projects : Post-Spellplague bibliography ; 4E index project ; Taverns and inns of the Realms ; Dogs of the Realms ; Descriptions of places in the novels ; forums, RPG, FR Abbreviations and Acronyms
- Come and have a look at the already asked questions from the Forgotten Realms Trivia Challenge

I am a French FR fan, so please forgive my lapses in English language and do not hesitate to correct me. Thanks a lot.

Edited by - Fillow on 19 Nov 2008 19:29:08
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend
Forgotten Realms Designer & Author

USA
1707 Posts

Posted - 19 Nov 2008 :  19:42:08  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by althen artren

So, have we complained and slandered enough that some of the
authors of our forums are no longer visiting Candlekeep?

Fearless leaders, have we been blacklisted? Do we know anything?
Are they too busy for us? I understand if they were insulted, I
just wanted to know facts.

Eric's just been too busy the past year (as a technology executive) to post here regularly. What little time he has to spare goes to his kids, as is proper.

No blacklists. No shunning. Just a matter of time. Some of us have more time to give or have more interest in participating in the discussions (or, like Ed, make it a priority, despite how much he has on his plate).

Most here will attest that I'll go away for long periods and then come back if/when there's activity on topics of interest to me or if I've got a novel coming out or I've just got a lighter schedule and I'm trolling for entertainment.

I come here because it's a great forum and a good bunch of folks. If I don't show up for a week or a month, it's never due to any one thing or person or issue. 98% of the time, it's simply time to spare that's the problem.

Steven

For current projects and general natter, see www.steveneschend.com
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 19 Nov 2008 :  19:54:52  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I too have a limited amount of time, but I do genuinely enjoy spending it on CK. I tend to be more active when I've got a book coming out, as well--and a surefire way of getting a discussion going with me (at least a brief one) is to post in my author's scroll (which has the awesome subscription emails that get sent to me).

Also, honestly, sometimes the negativity about 4e FR kinda throws me. I'm a little biased, I guess--I mean, I love the Realms regardless of edition, and obviously I want to keep writing in it, so I tend to be fairly optimistic about changes. But seeing people blast the setting I love--or blast each other--just depresses me and makes me less likely to want to post on the boards.

That doesn't mean you shouldn't have your own opinion and stick to it--but I'm just being honest when I say it can be a real downer to read ad nauseum posts about how upset you are with the changes (so don't use 'em!) or how you're never going to pick up another FR book, site-unseen, 'cuz it's just not the same (no pick me? ).

And again honestly, it's sometimes a little hard to justify spending my time interacting with readers who pan all my future novels before they're even written--even if I don't take that personally. I really like you guys, but I have to set priorities. I hope you understand!

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 19 Nov 2008 :  20:06:00  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Actually, Erik, I found a work-around for that...

You see, I made a list of all the FR novels I really would like to read, but absolutely refuse to buy for personal convictions, and then I just so happen to leave copies of the list around where family members can find it just before Christmas.

I can stick to my guns, and still read what I want... ain't I the worst?

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 19 Nov 2008 :  20:08:17  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

You see, I made a list of all the FR novels I really would like to read, but absolutely refuse to buy for personal convictions, and then I just so happen to leave copies of the list around where family members can find it just before Christmas.

You sir, are a genius.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

althen artren
Senior Scribe

USA
780 Posts

Posted - 19 Nov 2008 :  21:25:21  Show Profile Send althen artren a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks be to Friend Steven and Friend Erik:

I was only curious. I could see some people get so
angry at our comments and arguments that they would
just get out of Dodge. I'd like to think I could
take all that professionally, but like Erik I'd
most get down as well.

And we do enjoy having all you here. I think its
wonderful to have discussions with the writers and
get unfiltered info, as just too much info gets thrown to
the cutting room floor and we all have interests that
take us in different directions in gaming.

Edited by - althen artren on 19 Nov 2008 21:27:19
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 19 Nov 2008 :  21:45:45  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by althen artren

Eric Boyd had cut back his presence before the whole 4E thing really blew up, and I honestly can't think of anyone having hurled any negativity towards him.

Rich Baker was never as active over here as he was over on the WotC forums. With the fact that he limited himself to over there, and requested that his comments not be shared, I'm inclined to think that he was instructed to limit his online presence. Right or wrong, his very public stance has generated a lot of flack, and many people see him as a target for everything they dislike. Limiting his online presence could have been a maneuver on his part or on WotC's part to limit the negativity, or it could have been a maneuver to drive more traffic to the WotC forums.

Or it could be that he lacks the time to spread himself out online too much. I know I've kept myself down to just two forums, and I've only recently added a third (Steven Schend's forums). And the two forums I spend the most time on are each dedicated to a specific fandom, but neither of them are the main forum for that fandom.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

BARDOBARBAROS
Senior Scribe

Greece
581 Posts

Posted - 19 Nov 2008 :  21:59:29  Show Profile  Visit BARDOBARBAROS's Homepage Send BARDOBARBAROS a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I believe that they are enough busy...

BARDOBARBAROS DOES NOT KILL.
HE DECAPITATES!!!

"The city changes, but the fools within it remain always the same" (Edwin Odesseiron- Baldur's gate 2)

Edited by - BARDOBARBAROS on 19 Nov 2008 21:59:53
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 19 Nov 2008 :  23:28:26  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Eric Boyd had cut back his presence before the whole 4E thing really blew up, and I honestly can't think of anyone having hurled any negativity towards him.

Rich Baker was never as active over here as he was over on the WotC forums. With the fact that he limited himself to over there, and requested that his comments not be shared, I'm inclined to think that he was instructed to limit his online presence. Right or wrong, his very public stance has generated a lot of flack, and many people see him as a target for everything they dislike. Limiting his online presence could have been a maneuver on his part or on WotC's part to limit the negativity, or it could have been a maneuver to drive more traffic to the WotC forums.
I've been contacted by a few of our less-frequently visiting designer/author-scribes, who've told me that although they aren't posting, they do semi-regularly stop by to read particular scrolls and such.

So, just because they're not "active" -- in terms of posting -- doesn't mean they aren't here.
quote:
Or it could be that he lacks the time to spread himself out online too much. I know I've kept myself down to just two forums, and I've only recently added a third (Steven Schend's forums). And the two forums I spend the most time on are each dedicated to a specific fandom, but neither of them are the main forum for that fandom.
Indeed. I've had to cut down my online presence significantly over the last few months due to work and other related reasons. Candlekeep is one of my primary forums, so I often tend to spend a great deal of my online time here, but I also stretch myself over three other main forums that are also dedicated to a particular fandom, as Wooly stated above.

And Steven Schend has now unveiled his curiously remarkable creation, which will likely devour more of my online time.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 20 Nov 2008 :  11:20:29  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am so thankful that even some of the authors post here. It's not something ot be taken for granted.

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 20 Nov 2008 :  14:15:46  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Steven Schend
No blacklists. No shunning. Just a matter of time. Some of us have more time to give or have more interest in participating in the discussions (or, like Ed, make it a priority, despite how much he has on his plate).

That's about what I suspected--I didn't think there was anything "personal" going on.

No one has more than 24 hours a day, and we need a lot of it to work, sleep, and take care of families, etc.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)

Edited by - Rinonalyrna Fathomlin on 20 Nov 2008 14:19:14
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 20 Nov 2008 :  14:29:43  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alisttair

I am so thankful that even some of the authors post here. It's not something ot be taken for granted.

That is very true. I've been here for years now, and I still sometimes marvel at the fact that there's at least four authors/designers I can email directly, or that I could discuss things with them and other authors/designers here on the forums.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 20 Nov 2008 :  15:19:18  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by Alisttair

That is very true. I've been here for years now, and I still sometimes marvel at the fact that there's at least four authors/designers I can email directly, or that I could discuss things with them and other authors/designers here on the forums.

Indeed. And I must say, my campaigns have only been greatly enriched by their collective presence, thanks largely to both my public and private interactions with Ed and a few of the other designers/authors who regularly visit here at Candlekeep.

Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6651 Posts

Posted - 20 Nov 2008 :  22:24:46  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I agree that the ability to tap into published authors like Ed, Steven, Eric, Eytan and the "Young Dragons" is fantastic. We are very lucky here at Candlekeep.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

althen artren
Senior Scribe

USA
780 Posts

Posted - 21 Nov 2008 :  23:12:48  Show Profile Send althen artren a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Agreed. Very lucky.

Well, besides the WOTC forum, is there anyplace else to get
unfiltered Realms lore? I prefer my stirred and not shaken.
I done lots of Internet searches on various topics, but I
keep running into the stupid video game websites, and I don't
need that.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 21 Nov 2008 :  23:33:52  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You'll find occasional bits from designers/authors on the REALMS-L. Though most have been copied and included in the various "compiled reply files" archived here at Candlekeep.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000