Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 cultural differences between Kozakura and Wa?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Sian
Senior Scribe

Denmark
596 Posts

Posted - 26 Nov 2008 :  16:36:13  Show Profile  Visit Sian's Homepage Send Sian a Private Message  Reply with Quote
also ... it should be noted that at least in RW the females in the Sarumai families is trained in Polearm and Knife use for defense of their estate while the men are off on missions, so it is reasonable to think that when the men are out of town the female part of the population sercetly gather in places with each other for training with their weapons of choice maybe even actually being better than men (maybe even from time to time meeting for training casually lying about it to be training in Tea ceremonies :p)

what happened to the queen? she's much more hysterical than usual
She's a women, it happens once a month
Go to Top of Page

Lemernis
Senior Scribe

378 Posts

Posted - 26 Nov 2008 :  20:08:45  Show Profile  Visit Lemernis's Homepage Send Lemernis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmm, that's an interesting detail that women in a real life samurai family were trained in martial combat skills. No mention of that in the source book, I don't think. Just how much to borrow directly from real world historical Japan is pretty open-ended I guess. But I like the idea that women in those families can commonly be trained as fighters.

Edited by - Lemernis on 26 Nov 2008 20:09:18
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3738 Posts

Posted - 26 Nov 2008 :  23:50:36  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-A plausible way to make the above-mentioned seppuku situation work: The child, believing itself to be a drain on the family, and thus, dishonoring the family, kills itself. Or, the child, being the recipient of "dishonor" by it's own family, will not suffer such dishonor, and kills itself in an honorable fashion.

-Taking some definitions to the extremes and such, but...

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerūn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerūn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Sian
Senior Scribe

Denmark
596 Posts

Posted - 27 Nov 2008 :  05:54:41  Show Profile  Visit Sian's Homepage Send Sian a Private Message  Reply with Quote
well Lemernis ... while the fact that they trained for defense is true it could easily be taken another step and saying that they did more training than they actually was demanded/needed to do and had another layer of secretcy with a Samurai group within and hidden from a known Samurai group :P

Go to Top of Page

see
Learned Scribe

235 Posts

Posted - 27 Nov 2008 :  07:24:11  Show Profile Send see a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lemernis

I'm trying to decide how much of the cultural information presented in the section on Wa may be assumed to apply also to Kozakura. What do you all think?

1e Oriental Adventures has "An Overview of Kara-Tur" on pages 136-137. It says:

Kozakura ("Little Cherry Blossom") is inhabited by the same race of people as found on Wa and shares virtually the same customs and traditions.

So, almost everything should apply.

quote:
Originally posted by Lemernis

Doesn't Kozakura seem almost superfluous? Maybe felt they they had too much material to fit into one land?

Kara-Tur was originally created by a single author for the 1e Oriental Adventures hardback as a sample setting. The paired empires of Shou Lung and T'u Lung, Wa and Kozakura, were specifically created to allow play in united/disunited China/Japan, all in the same brief setting. The Kara-Tur boxed set came several years later, and inherited the design decisions originally made for a briefly sketched sample setting.
Go to Top of Page

Lemernis
Senior Scribe

378 Posts

Posted - 27 Nov 2008 :  11:10:31  Show Profile  Visit Lemernis's Homepage Send Lemernis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by see

1e Oriental Adventures has "An Overview of Kara-Tur" on pages 136-137. It says:

Kozakura ("Little Cherry Blossom") is inhabited by the same race of people as found on Wa and shares virtually the same customs and traditions.

So, almost everything should apply.

Perfect, just the sort of clarification in canon I was seeking, thanks!
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 27 Nov 2008 :  14:21:17  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sian

well Lemernis ... while the fact that they trained for defense is true it could easily be taken another step and saying that they did more training than they actually was demanded/needed to do and had another layer of secretcy with a Samurai group within and hidden from a known Samurai group :P
This is interesting enough to be developed more.

I like the idea of 'silly women' meeting for Tea-cup training - little did those Samurai know they are using +3 tea cups!

And even though that was a joke, many weapons from the Orient (and the west as well) were developed from simple, common items, mostly farm implements, but not always. One of interesting note were the Kanzashi - Hair pins - worn by women. Female Ninjas were trained in their use as weapons of assination (while posing as Geisha), so it wouldn't be too great a leap to see other Oriental women doing something similar with things at hand.

Fans, combs... even the Tea cup (remember Riddick?) could all become deadly weapons in the right hands.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 29 Nov 2008 14:46:50
Go to Top of Page

Sian
Senior Scribe

Denmark
596 Posts

Posted - 27 Nov 2008 :  15:00:10  Show Profile  Visit Sian's Homepage Send Sian a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mithril Fans and combs ... lethal when sharpened :p

Go to Top of Page

Pandora
Learned Scribe

Germany
305 Posts

Posted - 27 Nov 2008 :  15:08:53  Show Profile  Visit Pandora's Homepage Send Pandora a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay
I like the idea of 'silly women' meeting for Tea-cup training - little did those Samurai know they are using +3 tea ups!

I have seen a japanese cook cut up a medium sized fish to be served without touching it. He used two "knives" which looked like swords (knife = 1 edge, sword = 2 edges at the blade). The whole thing was ritualized and looked very nice ...

If you cant say what youre meaning,
you can never mean what youre saying.

- Centauri Minister of Intelligence, Babylon 5

Edited by - Pandora on 27 Nov 2008 15:09:39
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page