Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Non-Realms Realms Novels
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Fillow
Master of Realmslore

France
1608 Posts

Posted - 26 Nov 2008 :  19:38:49  Show Profile  Visit Fillow's Homepage Send Fillow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kajehase

Well, Brooks did change the characters' names, used a sword instead of a ring, and, you know, used goblins instead of orcs

I read the French version of the Shannarah cycle years ago but I disagree with that Kaje'.

On the one hand, I did not feel it when I read the both books.
On the other hand, if the story could seem quite the same, the styles of writers made the both become very different stories.

Just my humble opinion through the translated versions of the books.

"Today is a good day to smile",
Fillow Big'n'Book Mahlemiut 'Lead-dog', Son of Garl, Wanderer of the Masked Leaf and Namer of Oghma.

- Fight in the arena and have fun ! :
La brute.com
- Feel free to take part to these projects : Post-Spellplague bibliography ; 4E index project ; Taverns and inns of the Realms ; Dogs of the Realms ; Descriptions of places in the novels ; forums, RPG, FR Abbreviations and Acronyms
- Come and have a look at the already asked questions from the Forgotten Realms Trivia Challenge

I am a French FR fan, so please forgive my lapses in English language and do not hesitate to correct me. Thanks a lot.
Go to Top of Page

Brynweir
Senior Scribe

USA
436 Posts

Posted - 28 Nov 2008 :  20:41:44  Show Profile Send Brynweir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Arion Elenim

Thieves' World: http://www.thievesworld.info/

Good stuff.

I second that one - Thieves World could definitely fit right into the Realms. I love Hanse "The Cat"

I also recommend The Rift Wars, but I really LOVE the Wars of Light and Shadow by Janny Wurts and the Cold Fire Trilogy by C.S. Freidman.

I like both of these series because they not only have really great descriptions that bring the characters to life, but they're very insightful about human nature and the thin line between good and evil. In some cases, it's all a matter of perspective and preferences. I think this idea fits in great with the pantheistic nature of the Realms. With no one all powerful figure declaring just what IS right and what is wrong, the line is much easier to blur. I love the idea that we as readers can see the mistakes being made and the flaws in logic, but the characters themselves can't see them - they really make me think... and the plots aren't half bad either

Anyone who likes to read something that's really dark and gritty and completely awesome ought to read The Night Angel Trilogy by Brent Weeks. You can check out a little taste at www.BrentWeeks.com I should probably warn you, though, that it is definitely not PG-13 :-D

He also started a new Trilogy with Black Prism, which may even surpass the Night Angel Trilogy in its awesomeness.

Go to Top of Page

Baldwin Stonewood
Acolyte

34 Posts

Posted - 02 Dec 2008 :  17:18:19  Show Profile  Visit Baldwin Stonewood's Homepage Send Baldwin Stonewood a Private Message  Reply with Quote
David Gemmel is one of my favorites.
His Drenai Series was his cornerstone before his untimely passing. Ranked in order of publication. Waylander was probably my favorite.
1. Legend (1984)
aka Against the Horde
2. The King Beyond the Gate (1985)
3. Waylander (1986)
4. Quest for Lost Heroes (1990)
5. In the Realm of the Wolf (1992)
6. The First Chronicles of Druss the Legend (1993)
7. The Legend of Deathwalker: Chronicles of Druss the Axeman (1996)
8. Winter Warriors (1993)
9. Hero in the Shadows (2000)

Go to Top of Page

Thielan
Acolyte

Australia
25 Posts

Posted - 10 Dec 2008 :  08:58:53  Show Profile  Visit Thielan's Homepage Send Thielan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Wars of Light and Shadow were definitely good, however it's a fairly long read though, and the writing keeps you on edge the entire time, there's lots of little climaxes throughout the each book.
The Cycle of Fire trilogy was quite good too.

The Shannara books: The Sword of Shannara, I will admit, is very like LOTR, you can definitely match characters up against LOTR characters. Howerver, Terry Brooks got into his own style of writing more after that one, and they're definitely different past that point.

Favourites would probably be (other than FR books):
Riftwar Books (Feist)
Farseer and Tawny Man Trilogies (Hobb)
Go to Top of Page

ranger_of_the_unicorn_run
Learned Scribe

USA
292 Posts

Posted - 10 Dec 2008 :  11:34:54  Show Profile Send ranger_of_the_unicorn_run a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's by a Realms author, but not set in the Realms or published by TSR, but I really liked R.A. Salvatore's Echoes of the Fourth Magic. I haven't been able to find books two and three yet, so I can't tell you how those are.
Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 10 Dec 2008 :  19:10:36  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Echoes of the Fourth Magic, The Witch's Daughter, and Bastion of Darkness. I enjoy this trilogy and RAS's non-Realms novels, but I did not think that this trilogy really had a Realms feel.
I also really enjoyed the Cold Fire Trilogy, and need to read it again. It has been too long since I first read it to decide if it has a Realms feel or not.

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)
Go to Top of Page

Brynweir
Senior Scribe

USA
436 Posts

Posted - 10 Dec 2008 :  19:49:08  Show Profile Send Brynweir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Um... I can't really say that the Coldfire Trilogy had a Realms feel. Heh, I just sort of slipped that one in there because I like it so much .

Anyone who likes to read something that's really dark and gritty and completely awesome ought to read The Night Angel Trilogy by Brent Weeks. You can check out a little taste at www.BrentWeeks.com I should probably warn you, though, that it is definitely not PG-13 :-D

He also started a new Trilogy with Black Prism, which may even surpass the Night Angel Trilogy in its awesomeness.

Go to Top of Page

Brynweir
Senior Scribe

USA
436 Posts

Posted - 23 Dec 2008 :  19:41:53  Show Profile Send Brynweir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Anybody read The Night Angel Trilogy by Brent Weeks? I've just started the first book- I'm hooked BTW - but I can totally picture it in the realms.

Go to Top of Page

Braveheart
Learned Scribe

Austria
159 Posts

Posted - 23 Dec 2008 :  20:56:37  Show Profile  Visit Braveheart's Homepage Send Braveheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by MerrikCale

quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

I believe Michael Stackpole's ONCE A HERO book might well have been a Realms novel, if he and the then-head of TSR's Books Department could have reached agreement on the terms of publishing it.
love to all,
THO

well, thats an interesting tidbit. I kind of like his Star wars stuff

I first discovered Stackpole thru his BattleTech stuff, and his books remain my faves from the series -- there are some other fave BT novels, but the majority are the ones he wrote.

I've only read one of his Star Wars novels, but I very much enjoyed it. One of these days I'll have to track down the Rogue Squadron stuff.

Wooly's right on that one, also because BattleTech is a fairly detailed universe that compares to the Realms on a certain level - if you're not too picky about it having to be a fantasy setting

P.S.: R.A. Salvatore's Crimson Shadow trilogy was quite good as well...

Jarlaxle: "Do keep ever present in your thoughts, my friend, that an illusion can kill you if you believe in it."
Entreri: "And the real thing can kill you whether you believe in it or not."

Edited by - Braveheart on 23 Dec 2008 20:58:52
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 23 Dec 2008 :  22:32:47  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Braveheart

Wooly's right on that one, also because BattleTech is a fairly detailed universe that compares to the Realms on a certain level - if you're not too picky about it having to be a fantasy setting
Aye. And it's been an "officially published" setting just a little longer than the Realms, starting in 1984 with the BattleDroids game. Support for the setting is still very strong, with some exciting events planned to celebrate its 25th anniversary next year.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 24 Dec 2008 :  04:59:28  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

And an unfortunate similarity is that both settings were blown up, had a timejump, and wound up splitting their fanbases.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 24 Dec 2008 :  05:38:47  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

And an unfortunate similarity is that both settings were blown up, had a timejump, and wound up splitting their fanbases.

Yes, but the CBT universe, as evidenced through the MechWarrior: Dark Age novels, has pretty much returned to the state it was before the Jihad -- just with a few new aspects added here and there.

The Spellplague, I think, has had more impact and established longer-lasting effects on the FR setting as a whole, when compared to the similarly-styled "setting-shattering-event" in the CBT universe.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

yargarth
Seeker

USA
58 Posts

Posted - 25 Dec 2008 :  08:29:27  Show Profile  Visit yargarth's Homepage Send yargarth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
One of my favorite series is the Obsidian Trilogy by Mercedes Lackey and James Mallory. I also enjoyed the King Raven Trilogy by Stephen R. Lawhead. The Coyote series by Allen Steele IMO was superb.

"You take a step, then another. That's the journey. But to take a step with your eyes open is not a journey at all, it's a remaking of your own mind."

-Orson Scott Card
Ender in Exile
Go to Top of Page

Braveheart
Learned Scribe

Austria
159 Posts

Posted - 26 Dec 2008 :  17:51:19  Show Profile  Visit Braveheart's Homepage Send Braveheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Well Wooly, that's exactly the discussion we shouldn't have here, but as Sage points out, the nations are still the same, the Clans (ok, kill off all those useless Homeworld Clans ), etc, even added some new flavours (Outworld Alliance and Clan Raven join forces - exciting! ). The Jihad added a new chapter, the Spellplague adds a new world and makes a lot of the old stuff irrelevant, because the realms no longer exist.

PM me if you want to discuss this in detail or lets set up a science group in some Off-Topic Thread

Jarlaxle: "Do keep ever present in your thoughts, my friend, that an illusion can kill you if you believe in it."
Entreri: "And the real thing can kill you whether you believe in it or not."
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 29 Dec 2008 :  07:59:16  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Apart from Ed's other work, and his direct influences like Guy Kay (a much more interesting writer, I think, than Jordan or Martin), I'd like to mention Ian Mortimer's non-fiction Time-Traveller's Guide to Medieval England. It's the kind of daily-life information I love reading about historical and imaginary places, a useful one-book reference for a world that readily informs the Realms, and an interesting model for what a Life in the Dales or Life in Cormyr sourcebook could be.

As for D&D, Gary Gygax published several novels after splitting with TSR. Other than those, major D&D influence in fiction tends to be something I avoid, though I suppose it's relatively benign in China Miéville.
Go to Top of Page

MerrikCale
Senior Scribe

USA
947 Posts

Posted - 29 Dec 2008 :  13:12:29  Show Profile  Visit MerrikCale's Homepage Send MerrikCale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Faraer

Apart from Ed's other work, and his direct influences like Guy Kay (a much more interesting writer, I think, than Jordan or Martin), I'd like to mention Ian Mortimer's non-fiction Time-Traveller's Guide to Medieval England.

that sounds interesting

When hinges creak in doorless chambers and strange and frightening sounds echo through the halls, whenever candlelights flicker where the air is deathly still, that is the time when ghosts are present, practicing their terror with ghoulish delight.
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 31 Dec 2008 :  07:15:33  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's both immersive and by all accounts reliable in terms of scholarship.
quote:
1 The Landscape
2 The People
3 The Medieval Character
4 Basic Essentials
5 What to Wear
6 Travelling
7 Where to Stay
8 Where to Eat and Drink
9 Health and Hygiene
10 The Law
11 What to Do
Go to Top of Page

Andvari Tyrael
Acolyte

1 Posts

Posted - 01 Jan 2009 :  03:36:26  Show Profile  Visit Andvari Tyrael's Homepage Send Andvari Tyrael a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hero and the Crown and The Blue Sword by Robin Mckinley.

They have a nice realms flavour with out being set in the realms. I always laughed about the principal country being named Damar.
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 01 Jan 2009 :  17:39:44  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes! Superb books, beloved by Ed and me. Deservedly classics!
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000