Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 D&D Core Products
 Sign of things to come?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 11 Nov 2008 :  03:57:11  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Topps closing WizKids' doors

Heroclix, Horrorclix, Star Wars Pocket Model, Mechwarrior: Dark Age, Shadowrun Duels. All have stopped production immediately.

Catalyst Games has been in contact with WizKids and have stated that it should not affect their Classic Battletech or Shadowrun lines. Any speculation on how the closing of what some consider the leaders of the collectible miniatures game will affect the industry as a whole?

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs

Edited by - Ashe Ravenheart on 11 Nov 2008 03:59:17

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 11 Nov 2008 :  04:02:58  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've already been virtually smacked down for offering my opinion on this over on the CBT boards.

So I think I'll just stay out of this discussion for the time being.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 11 Nov 2008 04:03:55
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 11 Nov 2008 :  06:34:16  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's certainly not a good sign for D&D Minis.

On the other hand, the demise of ClickyTech is something I would regard with great joy, if it wasn't for the fact that any game company taking that kind of hit isn't good for the industry as a whole.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 11 Nov 2008 16:16:14
Go to Top of Page

GRYPHON
Senior Scribe

USA
527 Posts

Posted - 11 Nov 2008 :  09:19:30  Show Profile Send GRYPHON a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not a good sign at all...
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 11 Nov 2008 :  13:46:37  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Especially since it's a game company owned by a larger, more generic company. You can bet that Topps isn't cutting back on their collectible cards, so they've decided to trim back on 'extraneous' sub-companies that have a 'niche' market.

That's what really worries/excites me. Worries me because I don't like to see anything I love in financial dire straights (Yeah, long-time FASA fan, so...), but I can see possibilities of WotC being cut loose from Hasbro, which is something I think I would like. Because the biggest problem with D&D has almost always occurred when they've been more interested with the 'bottom line' than the product.

quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

I've already been virtually smacked down for offering my opinion on this over on the CBT boards.

What was that opinion, Sage? I have the feeling we might have the same one...

Ashe's Character Sheet

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 11 Nov 2008 :  16:35:56  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ashe Ravenheart

Especially since it's a game company owned by a larger, more generic company. You can bet that Topps isn't cutting back on their collectible cards, so they've decided to trim back on 'extraneous' sub-companies that have a 'niche' market.

That's what really worries/excites me. Worries me because I don't like to see anything I love in financial dire straights (Yeah, long-time FASA fan, so...), but I can see possibilities of WotC being cut loose from Hasbro, which is something I think I would like. Because the biggest problem with D&D has almost always occurred when they've been more interested with the 'bottom line' than the product.

quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

What was that opinion, Sage? I have the feeling we might have the same one...

Well, as far as BattleTech is concerned, WizKids was only doing ClickyTech -- Catalyst Games says they still have big plans for BattleTech and Shadowrun.

It could be good to see WotC spun back off -- but only if it winds up run by someone who respects the various IPs for what they are, and doesn't regard them as nothing more than another potential stream of revenue.

I'm a bit curious about Sage's opinion, too. I know there's a few BT fans here, but Sage is the one I know best -- even if he is a fan of the Cappies.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 11 Nov 2008 :  16:51:52  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The difficulty, I believe (and please correct me if I'm mistaken), is that WizKids 'owns' Battletech and licenses it to Catalyst for Classic Battletech. I'm not so sure on the relationship between Shadowrun and Shadowrun: Duels.

The interesting thought I'm having is that Topps drops WizKids and Catalyst buys the complete BattleTech license from them. Do they go ahead with a retcon and erase all the "Dark Age" stuff that's been out for the last few years? CBT has been inching closer, but I don't think they are that far along that they can't take a few steps back to just after the FedCom civil war.

And, now, I'm hopelessly not talking about the Realms or D&D...

Ashe's Character Sheet

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000