Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 D&D Core Products
 What will you buy of the 4th Ed.?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2008 :  10:48:46  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Poll Question:
Leading onto from my first poll question: Will you buy the 4th Ed.? - now the follow-up question:

What will you buy of the 4th Ed.?

I encourrage all of you to explain your answers with a post.
Answering this question makes sense only if you answered the previous poll question ("Will you buy the 4th Ed.?") affirmative - that is with a yes.

Choices:

everything
only the core books (DMG, PHB, MM)
only the FRCS
the core books & the FRCS
personally selected books only
other

(Anonymous Vote)

"Das Gras weht im Wind, wenn der Wind weht."

Edited by - Ergdusch on 02 Jun 2008 11:01:10

Victor_ograygor
Master of Realmslore

Denmark
1072 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2008 :  12:48:18  Show Profile  Visit Victor_ograygor's Homepage Send Victor_ograygor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The only thing I will buy concerning the 4 edition is the third book of Richard Lee Byers Haunted Lands, book 3.

Victor Ograygor The Assassin and Candel keeps cellar master

Everything I need to know about life I learned from killing smart people.

Links related to Forgotten Realms
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9571

Adventuring / Mercenary Companies / Orders / The chosen from official sources
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=11047

Priests in Forgotten Realms.
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9609&whichpage=1
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2008 :  13:16:16  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Victor_ograygor

The only thing I will buy concerning the 4 edition is the third book of Richard Lee Byers Haunted Lands, book 3.

Right! Novels - I forgot to mention that I wanted to leave those out of the scope of this particular poll but it seems only fair to vote 'other'.

Thanks for your answer, Vic.

Edited by - Ergdusch on 02 Jun 2008 13:28:14
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2008 :  13:44:38  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The core books to play at work and the FRCS just cause even though I'm not happy about the spellplague. And the cores only because my library is full of never used 3.5E books.

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

Quale
Master of Realmslore

1757 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2008 :  14:33:14  Show Profile Send Quale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
maybe some novels, like the Blackstaff Tower

FRCS, only if it's full with quality lore

I doubt that

Go to Top of Page

GRYPHON
Senior Scribe

USA
527 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2008 :  14:58:19  Show Profile Send GRYPHON a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nothing...

'Everyone dies...I only choose the time and place for a few.' --Eric Destler
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2008 :  15:54:29  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I chose other. So far, I am getting the core rulebooks. However, I cannot say at this time if that's all I'm going to get.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2008 :  16:22:46  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Do Dungeon Tiles count as 4e?

Mace's not so gentle gamer's journal My rants were harmless compared to this, beware!
Go to Top of Page

Snotlord
Senior Scribe

Norway
476 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2008 :  16:41:18  Show Profile  Visit Snotlord's Homepage Send Snotlord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I plan to buy the Player's Handbook and the FRCS, and then see if I want to see more.
Go to Top of Page

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 03 Jun 2008 :  01:50:19  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I will pick up the new FRCS and of course FR novels.
Go to Top of Page

MerrikCale
Senior Scribe

USA
947 Posts

Posted - 03 Jun 2008 :  03:00:26  Show Profile  Visit MerrikCale's Homepage Send MerrikCale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't see myself getting the FR

When hinges creak in doorless chambers and strange and frightening sounds echo through the halls, whenever candlelights flicker where the air is deathly still, that is the time when ghosts are present, practicing their terror with ghoulish delight.
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 03 Jun 2008 :  08:01:10  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mace Hammerhand

Do Dungeon Tiles count as 4e?

I would not count them as such, but than again I have actually never bothered with minis or the tiles at all...

Go to Top of Page

Kyrene
Senior Scribe

South Africa
741 Posts

Posted - 03 Jun 2008 :  09:42:36  Show Profile  Visit Kyrene's Homepage Send Kyrene a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I voted "No" to the "Will you buy..." poll, but may buy a novel here and there if it is from a writer I have previously really liked, so I voted "Other" here.

Lost for words? Find them in the Glossary of Phrases, Sayings & Words of the Realms
Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 04 Jun 2008 :  04:30:22  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I may buy the Spellgard book, but if, and only if it contains a large amount of pre-warpstone ... ah ... pre-Spellplague lore. I have no interest in the Realms 4.New.Coke, and will not buy any of the "core rule books." (I mean the 2008 core rule books, not the "core rurule b ooks they sold five years ago, or the "core rule books" they sold ten years ago.)

I may pick up a couple of the "Dungeons" novels, since they have (I hope) little rules-oriented or Chaos lands Shadowfell carp in them.

The one dicey book is the last Erevis Cale novel. I (figuratively) devoured the first trilogy, and was waiting to read the other books until May, when Shadowrealm, the last book of the second trilogy was scheduled for release. With a December release date now, I don't know if I will buy it or not. I definitely will not buy it if it's been Bakerized" (a word to enter the lexicon alongside "Turnerize," the adding of color to a motion picture originally shot in black and white).

I have a mouth, but I am in a library and must not scream.

Feed the poor and stroke your ego, too: http://www.freerice.com/index.php.

Go to Top of Page

BARDOBARBAROS
Senior Scribe

Greece
581 Posts

Posted - 09 Oct 2008 :  23:25:50  Show Profile  Visit BARDOBARBAROS's Homepage Send BARDOBARBAROS a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Novels

BARDOBARBAROS DOES NOT KILL.
HE DECAPITATES!!!

"The city changes, but the fools within it remain always the same" (Edwin Odesseiron- Baldur's gate 2)
Go to Top of Page

lockdar
Acolyte

Netherlands
18 Posts

Posted - 10 Oct 2008 :  08:17:55  Show Profile  Visit lockdar's Homepage Send lockdar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've already bought the Core Books and both of the Faerun books, but that's it for now. The only things I'll consider buying next year will be the various campaign settings that might be published. Eberron will be a good candidate and I'm rooting for Spelljammer and Planescape.

Save yourself a penny for the ferryman.
Go to Top of Page

silverwizard
Seeker

Greece
76 Posts

Posted - 10 Oct 2008 :  13:47:03  Show Profile  Visit silverwizard's Homepage Send silverwizard a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Absolutely nothing
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 10 Oct 2008 :  15:38:52  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I got the FR stuff... All from eBay, for about half the cover price. I hate not supporting my FLGS, especially on FR stuff, but there was no way I was handing WotC my money.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Ladejarl
Seeker

Norway
55 Posts

Posted - 10 Oct 2008 :  15:59:22  Show Profile  Visit Ladejarl's Homepage Send Ladejarl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I got the FR stuff... All from eBay, for about half the cover price.
Got mine second hand to. Now I only have to work up the courage to read it.
quote:
I hate not supporting my FLGS, especially on FR stuff, but there was no way I was handing WotC my money.

I share your sentiment 100%.

"There should be much less violence, and more nudity and kinkiness in the world."
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 10 Oct 2008 :  17:49:15  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ladejarl

quote:

I got the FR stuff... All from eBay, for about half the cover price.
Got mine second hand to. Now I only have to work up the courage to read it.

I've just not had the inclination, really. I flipped thru both hardcovers, and that's it -- Spellgard is still in shrinkwrap. I've been more eager to read the Warmachine books and the Pathfinder Campaign Setting. And once I'm done with the latter, I don't know if I'll finally read the FR stuff or if I'll get back to reading thru Ptolus.

quote:

quote:
I hate not supporting my FLGS, especially on FR stuff, but there was no way I was handing WotC my money.

I share your sentiment 100%.

It's sad, too. As I've mentioned before, with past FR products, I often went on my lunchbreak to buy them, even though I knew I'd not be able to flip thru them until after I got home. And then, on the drive home, I was flipping thru the book at traffic lights. Now? I've had the main book for over a month. I wasn't in any hurry to get it, and I've not been in anything resembling a hurry to read it.

Hells, I was eagerly awaiting the arrival of the Pathfinder book, and started flipping thru it as soon as it came in the mail. The FRCG I waited most of a day before flipping thru, and the FRPG I've still barely cracked open.

Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 10 Oct 2008 :  18:18:22  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

[quote]Originally posted by Ladejarl

[quote]Originally posted by Wooly Rupert
I've just not had the inclination, really. I flipped thru both hardcovers, and that's it -- Spellgard is still in shrinkwrap. I've been more eager to read the Warmachine books and the Pathfinder Campaign Setting. And once I'm done with the latter, I don't know if I'll finally read the FR stuff or if I'll get back to reading thru Ptolus.
Castlemourn! Castlemourn!
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 10 Oct 2008 :  19:20:29  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Faraer

quote:

Castlemourn! Castlemourn!

I try to only read one setting at a time.

Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 10 Oct 2008 :  20:20:48  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not sure how to vote - I have two of the Core books, and have read the FRCG, and I'm not really thrilled with any of it, so I won't be buying anymore.

I'm also trying to avoid any and all WotC novels from now on, although its hard, with Schends new novel and more stuff coming down the pipe from Ed

In fact, it goes beyond the novels even - I have four kids, and I will NOT be purchasing ANY Hasbro products hencforth. I know that won't hurt them at all... but I do work in the K-Mart Toy Dept around X-Mas time.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 10 Oct 2008 20:21:27
Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1796 Posts

Posted - 10 Oct 2008 :  22:07:18  Show Profile Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nothing, unless Paizo starts offering 4E Realms product set before the Sellplague.
Go to Top of Page

Ladejarl
Seeker

Norway
55 Posts

Posted - 10 Oct 2008 :  22:09:30  Show Profile  Visit Ladejarl's Homepage Send Ladejarl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay
...but I do work in the K-Mart Toy Dept around X-Mas time.
By smart, by S-mart.

I'd realy like to continue to help feed people like Ed and Steven though.

"There should be much less violence, and more nudity and kinkiness in the world."

Edited by - Ladejarl on 10 Oct 2008 22:29:26
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 10 Oct 2008 :  23:36:44  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Markustay
...but I do work in the K-Mart Toy Dept around X-Mas time.
By smart, by S-mart.

I'd realy like to continue to help feed people like Ed and Steven though.

Oh, trust me, there's ways to feed them without feeding Wasbro as well.

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 11 Oct 2008 :  02:49:19  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I bought the 4E core books, only because I (foolishly) preordered them. My group created characters, looked at each other a few times during the process, found one or two other things that we liked about the new rules, played a session, and by the end of it we were all and thinking that we'd been by Wizbro. I'm advertising my 4E core books for sale locally (upper Fraser Valley, British Columbia, Canada if anyone's interested); I should be able to get back 3/4 of my money because they're in mint condition... yes, I managed to suppress my immediate desire to compact them into a cube of fourth... or is that a cube of farce? Anyway, we're happily playing 3.5, which we were happy with to begin with, apart from the lack of sourcebooks for the Bloodstone Lands (including Impiltur), the Dalelands, Cormanthyr, Cormyr, and the Lands of Intrigue (Amn, Tethyr, and Calimshan). And who said that every square inch of Faerun had been covered and it was necessary to blow it all up instead of exploring the rest of the world? Just don't tell me where they live; I'd rather not throw my life away on their account. Nah. That would take way too much effort, and I'm happy now that I don't have to go to the game store once a month any more.

Playing in the Realms since the Old Grey Box (1987)... and *still* having fun with material published before 2008, despite the NDA'd lore.

If it's comparable in power with non-magical abilities, it's not magic.
Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1796 Posts

Posted - 11 Oct 2008 :  06:06:03  Show Profile Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I hear you Jakk... but thank you for making me feel better about sticking to my guns and forbidding my players to buy anything with 4$ on it! LOL!

By the way, Impiltur was covered in great details in our late (print) Dragon magazine, written by our esteemed George Krashos himself!

Dragon Magazine #346 Impiltur
August 2006 issue
"Impiltur: The Forgotten Kingdom," pp. 56-71. Chivalry and conspiracy in one of the last frontiers of the Forgotten Realms.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 11 Oct 2008 :  07:32:44  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Purple Dragon Knight

I hear you Jakk... but thank you for making me feel better about sticking to my guns and forbidding my players to buy anything with 4$ on it! LOL!

By the way, Impiltur was covered in great details in our late (print) Dragon magazine, written by our esteemed George Krashos himself!

Dragon Magazine #346 Impiltur
August 2006 issue
"Impiltur: The Forgotten Kingdom," pp. 56-71. Chivalry and conspiracy in one of the last frontiers of the Forgotten Realms.

And there's also the fine "Impiltur" sections in both Champions of Ruin and Champions of Valor. They serve, appropriately enough, as a convenient mini-setting for Impiltur-based campaigns.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 12 Oct 2008 :  09:24:06  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Re: Impiltur sources: I was very impressed by all three; I just don't have my Dragon collection with me right now, except for my CD archive... which seems to have data integrity issues. I was browsing through it a couple of weeks ago, and a couple of pages in one issue I looked at are completely blank where there should be text. It annoys me.

I really want my 3E Dragon mags and my pre-3E Realms material. That requires a moving truck, which requires money, which requires me to have a job, which would in turn prevent me from having the time to make the trip.

Playing in the Realms since the Old Grey Box (1987)... and *still* having fun with material published before 2008, despite the NDA'd lore.

If it's comparable in power with non-magical abilities, it's not magic.
Go to Top of Page

danbuter
Seeker

USA
74 Posts

Posted - 21 Oct 2008 :  02:35:32  Show Profile  Visit danbuter's Homepage Send danbuter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I picked up the PHB. That was enough. I don't like the system. I flipped through the FR campaign guide and put it back on the shelf. My money goes to Troll Lord Games these days (Castles and Crusades, Castle Zagyg).

Nothing beats the gray box!
Dan
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000