Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 D&D Core Products
 Asking for a review: Guide to Darkmoon Vale?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Ardashir
Senior Scribe

USA
544 Posts

Posted - 13 Oct 2008 :  16:51:26  Show Profile  Visit Ardashir's Homepage Send Ardashir a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I've got several of the Paizo adventuresset in the Darkmoon Vale region, and I've been looking at the sourcebook. Does anyone here own it, and if so, then can you give it a good recommendation it or not?

Thanks for any help.

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 13 Oct 2008 :  21:14:57  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Grin, I do, surprise, surprise. :)

Anyhow, it's 63 pages, so it's kind of slim but there's a nice large poster map in the back. On inside front cover is a timeline. There's a short overview about money, people, mindset, etc. The wilderness chapter is about 21 pages. Then there's a civilaztion chapter, which is also about 20ish pages. Four pages of history. 12 pages of secrets. A list of NPC's on a seperate page. Then the appendix which has some stat'd npc's and random encounter charts.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Ardashir
Senior Scribe

USA
544 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2008 :  00:37:05  Show Profile  Visit Ardashir's Homepage Send Ardashir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

Grin, I do, surprise, surprise. :)

Anyhow, it's 63 pages, so it's kind of slim but there's a nice large poster map in the back. On inside front cover is a timeline. There's a short overview about money, people, mindset, etc. The wilderness chapter is about 21 pages. Then there's a civilaztion chapter, which is also about 20ish pages. Four pages of history. 12 pages of secrets. A list of NPC's on a seperate page. Then the appendix which has some stat'd npc's and random encounter charts.

Okay, so do you think it's worth the asking price, or not?
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2008 :  01:14:25  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
18 dollars for a full color sourcebook with color maps and color on the inside covers? Hell yea I think it was worth it. :) Some of WOTC softcovers were a lot more expensive for less impressive art, to me, etc.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Uzzy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
618 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2008 :  01:32:45  Show Profile  Visit Uzzy's Homepage Send Uzzy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ardashir
Okay, so do you think it's worth the asking price, or not?

The quickest way to discover if a product is worth the asking price is to look for the publishers name and symbol. If the name is Paizo and the symbol is a blue golem, then yes. Yes it is.

Anything else requires further review.
Go to Top of Page

Ranak
Learned Scribe

USA
190 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2008 :  02:57:03  Show Profile  Visit Ranak's Homepage Send Ranak a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I did not care for this particular sourcebook. I bought the print edition and then regretted not just downloading the PDF from Paizo.

I can't put my finger on any specific thing, the production values were high as always.

Perhaps it is merely because the rest of their books are so awesome, somehow this one just didn't compare despite being overall very good.

quote:

I've got several of the Paizo adventuresset in the Darkmoon Vale region, and I've been looking at the sourcebook. Does anyone here own it, and if so, then can you give it a good recommendation it or not?

Thanks for any help.

Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 30 Oct 2008 :  16:40:24  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-I like the thought of Druidic Werwolves!

BRIMSTONE

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 31 Oct 2008 :  04:33:08  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For a related Darkmoon Vale note, Hungry are the Dead is yet another Pathfinder adventure set in this region. Man, the people that live there have it rough. Between Darkmoon Vale and Varisia, some people just can't catch a break . . .
Go to Top of Page

Ardashir
Senior Scribe

USA
544 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2008 :  17:49:07  Show Profile  Visit Ardashir's Homepage Send Ardashir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brimstone

BRIMSTONE

Umm, don't the Realms already have them in the form of Malr's followers?

That said, more info on werewolves is always good.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2008 :  18:40:31  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

BRIMSTONE

If it's werecritters you're interested in, check out the $5 pdf Curse of the Moon, by Sean K Reynolds. He does some good stuff for weres with that one.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2008 :  23:15:34  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

quote:

BRIMSTONE

If it's werecritters you're interested in, check out the $5 pdf Curse of the Moon, by Sean K Reynolds. He does some good stuff for weres with that one.

I'll second Wooly's suggestion. He inadvertedly put me on to this fascinating tome during a werecritter discussion some years ago. It is indeed a worthwhile resource, with plenty of useful and compelling "were-options."

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Ardashir
Senior Scribe

USA
544 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2008 :  17:28:19  Show Profile  Visit Ardashir's Homepage Send Ardashir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

BRIMSTONE

I just might pick that up through Paizo. I just want to know, though, is the main thrust of it primarily fluff or crunch?
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2008 :  17:32:17  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-Do you folks mean this? http://paizo.com/store/downloads/seanKReynoldsGames/v5748btpy84e9&source=search

BRIMSTONE

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2008 :  19:15:31  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

BRIMSTONE

I just might pick that up through Paizo. I just want to know, though, is the main thrust of it primarily fluff or crunch?

Crunch. SKR felt that the 3.x rules for lycanthropes were broken, so he set out to fix them. There is some lore, but nothing setting-specific. It's all about the weres.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2008 :  19:16:03  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

-Do you folks mean this? http://paizo.com/store/downloads/seanKReynoldsGames/v5748btpy84e9&source=search

BRIMSTONE

Yup, though I got it from SKR's website.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000