Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 RPG News & Releases
 Did you subscribe to DDI ?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

Brian R. James
Forgotten Realms Game Designer

USA
1098 Posts

Posted - 01 Nov 2008 :  01:02:39  Show Profile  Visit Brian R. James's Homepage Send Brian R. James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie

Eytan and I are collaborating on at least one FR DDI article.
Most excellent news!

Brian R. James - Freelance Game Designer

Follow me on Twitter @brianrjames
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 02 Nov 2008 :  00:04:42  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My point was that they shouldn't have started to charge for it at all until it was complete and they had something decent to roll-out. Chevy doesn't start selling people half-a-car mid-year.

I think that charging the smaller amount for less will just come back and bite them in the ass, and whaever little bit of dribs and drabs they are making off if it isn't worth the bad press - reputation is NOT something you can put a price on.

It should have remained free - for the goodwill alone - until such a time when they had something impressive to roll-out. Whoever's making the decisions over there is showing a complete lack of business-savy.

First impressions are everything, and everything about 4e has left a bad taste in people's mouths.

I'd love to see the DDi take-off, and terrific FR articles start coming down the pipe, but after reading the above I can see the blunders continue to be compounded. Just when they need to impress FR fans the most, they decide to have a 'lull' in the available lore.

Seriously - I'm going to need to see a major shake-up among the managment over there before I sign up for the DDi, or anything else for that matter.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 16 Nov 2008 17:16:40
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 02 Nov 2008 :  18:32:51  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-I think the only reason WotC started charging was Hasbro said we need more money. Not that we haven't made enough, but we need more money. My Two Cents. I haven't subcribed just yet. Thinking about but I just don't know. Plus I am waiting for all of the teething problems to get fixed. I am looking forward to Brian's up-coming Sharn article.

BRIMSTONE

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Kes_Alanadel
Learned Scribe

USA
326 Posts

Posted - 02 Nov 2008 :  19:15:52  Show Profile  Visit Kes_Alanadel's Homepage Send Kes_Alanadel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Chevy doesn't start selling people half-a-car mid-year.

*Gearhead geek moment*
Not half a car, but Chevy did roll out a car at the half-year, the rare 1970 1/2 Camaro.

Sorry Sage, I couldn't help myself.

~Kes

Ack! I seem to have too much blood in my coffee stream!

When did 'common sense' cease to be common?

Edited by - Kes_Alanadel on 02 Nov 2008 19:38:14
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 05 Nov 2008 :  21:45:11  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie

Eytan and I are collaborating on at least one FR DDI article.

Cheers

Ahh yes!! The long awaited "Undergarments and Unmentionables of Faerun Illustrated"

Can't wait to see what you two cook up!

ed:sp

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963

Edited by - The Red Walker on 05 Nov 2008 21:45:56
Go to Top of Page

Zanan
Senior Scribe

Germany
942 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2008 :  09:34:28  Show Profile  Visit Zanan's Homepage Send Zanan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, this DDI and alike resources have a major problem: They will present downloadable stuff that can easily be spread via the net. It's illegal, it is criminal and needs to be persecuted, no doubt about this. But we live in the 21st century and what happens to movies and music files* can surely happen to such stuff too, even if it is (in the beginning) personalized. This is why I think 4E and the New Realms may very well don't take off when chosing this path to a nigh certain deathtrap. People will show their fellow gamers the files they've got via DDI ... or the wicked and mean will simply copy it, after rendering their names out. Printed books were and are an entirely different matter. There is most likely no way to stop this and it will affect us all.

I for one will only take the stuff from the official site and be done with it. The new Realms do not interest me, as they will not be relevant for my campaigns. Likewise the rules.

*E.g. you can get nigh any up-to-date music video via youtube etc.. Why - unless you are a real fan - buy a DVD?

Cave quid dicis, quando et cui!

Gæð a wyrd swa hio scel!

In memory of Alura Durshavin.

Visit my "Homepage" to find A Guide to the Drow NPCs of Faerûn, Drow and non-Drow PrC and much more.

Edited by - Zanan on 09 Nov 2008 13:16:15
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 09 Nov 2008 :  14:08:24  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Considering the success of sites like iTunes, I doubt that's really that much of a concern. Heck, iTunes has started selling DRM-free tunes, and Amazon's doing it, too. If they can make money selling electronic files with no protection, then it shows it can be done. Just because something can be copied and illegally distributed doesn't mean that it'll automatically be copied and distributed so much as to make selling it unprofitable.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Pandora
Learned Scribe

Germany
305 Posts

Posted - 09 Nov 2008 :  14:23:32  Show Profile  Visit Pandora's Homepage Send Pandora a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The one thing which all this Internet-hype disregards is the fact that Dungeons & Dragons is about nothing without the shops everywhere. These are necessary as a cheap "advertising base" where the products are visible; and the more "length of shop boards" these products take up the bigger your advertising space is - roughly speaking of course.

What happens to that presence in the shops when the initial books have all been sold and the rest is distributed electronically? They get almost nothing.

What happens to the shops when people dont need to go there anymore to buy stuff? They close ...

So added together this is a dangerous gamble for D&D and the industry if one of the biggest games "vanishes" from the shops. They are risking the demise of some of the shops which helped them grow and survive. Sure they are bringing out their plastic 'minis', but not everyone likes to play that way and they arent in the "rules department", but only in the "accessories department" of the shop. People who want to start with a roleplaying game will go to the rules dept. first.

If you cant say what youre meaning,
you can never mean what youre saying.

- Centauri Minister of Intelligence, Babylon 5
Go to Top of Page

Kes_Alanadel
Learned Scribe

USA
326 Posts

Posted - 09 Nov 2008 :  16:46:39  Show Profile  Visit Kes_Alanadel's Homepage Send Kes_Alanadel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Pandora

The one thing which all this Internet-hype disregards is the fact that Dungeons & Dragons is about nothing without the shops everywhere. These are necessary as a cheap "advertising base" where the products are visible; and the more "length of shop boards" these products take up the bigger your advertising space is - roughly speaking of course.

What happens to that presence in the shops when the initial books have all been sold and the rest is distributed electronically? They get almost nothing.

What happens to the shops when people dont need to go there anymore to buy stuff? They close ...

So added together this is a dangerous gamble for D&D and the industry if one of the biggest games "vanishes" from the shops. They are risking the demise of some of the shops which helped them grow and survive. Sure they are bringing out their plastic 'minis', but not everyone likes to play that way and they arent in the "rules department", but only in the "accessories department" of the shop. People who want to start with a roleplaying game will go to the rules dept. first.

*Nod* I noticed this the other day actually. Now granted it was in a national chain book store, so their sales won't be nearly as affected by this, as say the FLGS. But a year ago, they had a full 5 foot wide, 5 shelf case of RPG materials, mostly for DnD. When I was in there two weeks ago, they were down to only one shelf of RPG books, and less than half of that was DnD, with only 2 copies each of any 4e Wotc books.

~Kes

Ack! I seem to have too much blood in my coffee stream!

When did 'common sense' cease to be common?
Go to Top of Page

Zanan
Senior Scribe

Germany
942 Posts

Posted - 10 Nov 2008 :  11:01:38  Show Profile  Visit Zanan's Homepage Send Zanan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Then again, maybe Hasbro/WotC thinks that the "new generation" is buying via Amazon anyways? Who needs shops any longer? New generation ... "FRNG", how about that? ;)

Gæð a wyrd swa hio scel!

Visit my "Homepage" to find A Guide to the Drow NPCs of Faerûn, Drow and non-Drow PrC and much more.
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 10 Nov 2008 :  12:35:00  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-You do have a point about the online retailer's. Some people have been getting the books 2 maybe 3 weeks early.

BRIMSTONE

Alaundo of Candlekeep

Edited by - Brimstone on 16 Nov 2008 21:25:52
Go to Top of Page

MerrikCale
Senior Scribe

USA
947 Posts

Posted - 16 Nov 2008 :  04:14:58  Show Profile  Visit MerrikCale's Homepage Send MerrikCale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
no. seems like a big waste of money to me. plus, I hate reading articles and the like off a screen

When hinges creak in doorless chambers and strange and frightening sounds echo through the halls, whenever candlelights flicker where the air is deathly still, that is the time when ghosts are present, practicing their terror with ghoulish delight.
Go to Top of Page

Pandora
Learned Scribe

Germany
305 Posts

Posted - 16 Nov 2008 :  07:52:43  Show Profile  Visit Pandora's Homepage Send Pandora a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Zanan

Then again, maybe Hasbro/WotC thinks that the "new generation" is buying via Amazon anyways? Who needs shops any longer? New generation ... "FRNG", how about that? ;)

Well I always say "You cant google 'Lion' unless you heard about it already." and the shops simply give the first step of that knowledge. Not every country has as much TV ads as the United States - lucky me for living in germany - and this would be the other easy way to make the game known to kids. You cant really show the full potential of the game in a 10 second TV ad anyway. So IMO the game actually NEEDS the shops, because there arent any magazines talking about RPGs either - like there are for computer games.

So if I was Hasbro I would definetely fire the people responsible for the "no more campaign support" and the "only online support" nonsense.

Go to Top of Page

Zanan
Senior Scribe

Germany
942 Posts

Posted - 16 Nov 2008 :  10:36:05  Show Profile  Visit Zanan's Homepage Send Zanan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
So if I was Hasbro I would definetely fire the people responsible for the "no more campaign support" and the "only online support" nonsense.

Somehow I have always assumed that this was Hasbro's idea in the first place, or, the other way round, I gave WotC the benefit of the doubt.

Gæð a wyrd swa hio scel!

Go to Top of Page

Pandora
Learned Scribe

Germany
305 Posts

Posted - 16 Nov 2008 :  11:21:39  Show Profile  Visit Pandora's Homepage Send Pandora a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Zanan

quote:

Somehow I have always assumed that this was Hasbro's idea in the first place, or, the other way round, I gave WotC the benefit of the doubt.

Same for me, but cant Hasbro fire its own managers? (Highly unlikely to happen, because the ones to be fired are probably the same who would have the power to decide who gets fired. And managers always have someone else to blame for a bad performance of a product.)

Edited by - Pandora on 16 Nov 2008 11:22:10
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 16 Nov 2008 :  16:32:22  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You know... I'm interested in the Baphomet article that's currently up, and would like to read it. But that's it -- since they announced the entire DDI thing, they just haven't been putting all that much good stuff up there.

For years, I've checked the Wizards site at least once a day, looking for new stuff. And for a long time, they were giving us good stuff on a regular basis. For the last several months, though, they've not been offering all that much that was of any interest whatsoever. It's getting to the point that I'm not so sure I'm going to keep checking the site daily. There's little chance of them offering me anything I want, and I'm not giving them a dime until there's something worthwhile for me on there.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 16 Nov 2008 :  17:33:13  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Considering the success of sites like iTunes, I doubt that's really that much of a concern. Heck, iTunes has started selling DRM-free tunes, and Amazon's doing it, too. If they can make money selling electronic files with no protection, then it shows it can be done. Just because something can be copied and illegally distributed doesn't mean that it'll automatically be copied and distributed so much as to make selling it unprofitable.

The trick is to make it so inexpensive and convenient that people won't bother to use more nefarious means of obtaining those files.

I posted elswhere that I thought instead of tiny, near-useless articles on the DDi, WotC should produce FULLER works - about 30 pages - that had regional info on a specific country that also included an adventure for that area. They could charge just $3 for those, and nearly everyone would buy them. They would make more charging less, because if they went the $15-$20 route a lot of people would be tempted to procur them by other means.

Seriously, who among us wouldn't pay $3 for a new pdf of Cormyr, the Vilhon Reach, or Sembia? To me, the DDi articles are too little to be worth the investment, but regional boooklets with an adventure each would sell like hotcakes. What they need to do is keep the DDi free, and then use that to preview the paid modules to entice people to buy those. In the long run, it would promote lots of goodwill amongst fans (something they could really use right now), and generate far more income then the DDi will, simply because people will be able to chose what they want, not just be handed a random article or two every month that may or may not pertain to them, with barely enough lore to really run anything.

There is tons of money to be made on the Internet, but WotC is bungling things badly - they are trying to use their 'paper model' on the Web, and the need to change their thinking. Online ventures make-it because they cater to niches, but because you are now servicing the entire planet, those niches are HUGE. They would probably even do better by offering seperate mags (DDi) for each game world they develop. I couldn't expect that with the paper mags, but with digital versions why not? Why couldn't we have a monthly Forgotten Realms Gazeteer-style publication? I don't want to read about Eberron, or Dragonlance, so why should I have to pay for that? Paper limited what they could do, but computers have freed them from that. they need to think outside the box - have a pricing plan that includes the tools and one specfic world, and then maybe a 'premium' plan that would include everything (for people who do want to read about those other worlds).

I would consider paying $10 a month for a FR-only mag, or even $15 for the 'Premium Plan' (I like to cherry-pick ideas from other settings), but the way it is now I just don't see them coming out with enough FR lore to make the whole thing worthwhile to me.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 16 Nov 2008 17:35:42
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 16 Nov 2008 :  21:25:02  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-Markus maybe they will use you idea for 5E? See 4E will give them around 5 to 8 years to get out of this "paper-model" and into an "online model".

BRIMSTONE

Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6647 Posts

Posted - 16 Nov 2008 :  21:50:01  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Have there been any Dragon articles by the fans yet? I'm most likely wrong, but my perception is that the same names are popping up all the time.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Brian R. James
Forgotten Realms Game Designer

USA
1098 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2008 :  03:55:38  Show Profile  Visit Brian R. James's Homepage Send Brian R. James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey, I'm a huge fan!

Brian R. James - Freelance Game Designer

Follow me on Twitter @brianrjames
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3738 Posts

Posted - 20 Nov 2008 :  00:30:20  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

Have there been any Dragon articles by the fans yet? I'm most likely wrong, but my perception is that the same names are popping up all the time.

-- George Krashos

-Does the "We'll accept unsolicited fan material, think about it, and let you know" policy even still exist?

EDIT: Ah, here we go. I had to go digging around, but...

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/submissions

Please note that with the release of 4th Edition, we are no longer accepting submissions for Dragon and Dungeon Magazines that make use of 3.5 mechanics.

So you want to send us your pitch? Great! These guidelines will outline the steps you need to follow to submit an article or adventure idea to our online magazines Dragon® and Dungeon®.

Before you submit your complete article or adventure, use the submission process described below to send us a pitch. We’ll look over your pitch, and if we’re interested in your pitch, we’ll let you know within 60 days. Due to the high volume of submissions we receive, we are not able to send you a personal response for every submission. If you do not receive a response (other than a reply confirming receipt of the submission) within 60 days, your submission was rejected.

Essentially, the submission process boils down to the following:

* Using the templates and format described below, create a proposal for an article or adventure.
* E-mail your proposal to submissions@wizards.com.
* You will receive an reply within a week letting you know that your submission was received.
* Wait patiently.
* If we like your idea, we’ll contact you via email within 60 days and ask for the complete manuscript.
* Send in your article or adventure to submissions@wizards.com.
* Wait patiently one more time.
* We’ll contact you within 60 days regarding the status of your submission (i.e., whether we opt to buy it or reject it).

By submitting any material to us, you acknowledge and agree to adhere to these Submission Guidelines, including the Terms and Conditions at the end of this document. Please read them carefully!
Simultaneous Submissions

We do not accept any submissions previously published by or simultaneously submitted to another magazine, website, or d20™ publisher. Likewise, we don’t accept plagiarized materials.
Format

If we ask for your completed article or adventure, it should be sent in a Word document or .rtf file. Any relevant attachments (maps, player handouts, and so on) should also be included. Image files should be low resolution.
Rights

In the event we buy your manuscript, you must assign your rights to us. That means that once your contract is signed, we’ll own all rights in your submission. The assignment contract, (as well as applicable tax forms) will be sent out shortly after an article has been accepted. You’ll receive the contract by email, and you’ll be asked to sign a hard copy and return it to us, along with an invoice form. If you’re under 18, a parent or guardian must sign or co-sign your contracts. Once we have purchased an article, it might not appear in an issue for several months, so be patient. We’ll do our best to let you know when your work will appear.
Payments

Once we have received your signed contract and invoice, you should see a check within 45 days or so. We pay on receipt of an invoice, not on publication, but there’s still a certain amount of delay between us receiving your contract and invoice and you receiving your check. We just ask that you remain patient. Our starting rate for articles and adventures is $.06 per word.
Articles

If you’re familiar with the recent print versions of Dragon® and Dungeon® magazines, you should have a very good idea of the types of articles we’re interested in. New feats, spells, monsters, races, and alternative class features all make an excellent basis for articles. We’re also looking for new Ecology articles and Demonomicon articles, as well as articles tied to specific products released recently. Be clear and concise in your proposal, and follow the template below so we can get a good, accurate picture of your idea.

When you submit an article proposal, use the following template:

Type of Article
In five sentences or less, describe the type of article you’re interested in writing. If your article is intended for publication under one of our existing columns or feature concepts (such as an Ecology, Demonomicon, or Spellcraft article), this is the place to mention it. If you’re interested in writing a feature that doesn’t fall into these categories, describe the overall goals of your article, and the game elements (feats, spells, and so on) you want to include. If you’re writing an article with several different rules elements, be sure to describe briefly the thematic link that connects them all.

Example: I’d like to describe the Gnawtooth bugbear tribe as a sample of bugbear society. In my article, I’ll describe bugbear society in general terms, including details on how bugbears relate to other goblinoids. I will also describe the Gnawtooth clan structure, including statistics for the tribe chieftain, shaman, and the bugbear ravagers that form the backbone of Gnawtooth power. I would also like to expand on the existing rules for playing a bugbear as a player character from 1st level. I would also like to include five bugbear racial feats and up to five spells that are common among bugbear spellcasters.

Related Products
If your article uses material from a non-core book (Player’s Handbook®, Dungeon Master’s Guide®, or Monster Manual®), let us know. Articles intended to supplement new rules from non-core supplements are always welcome. Also, if your article is intended for use with one of our published campaign settings (Forgotten Realms® or Eberron®), let us know.

Estimated Word Count
Articles longer than 5,000 words will likely be ineligible for publication. Give us an overall estimated length of the article you’d like to write, and if possible, a breakdown by section.

Example: I estimate my Gnawtooth article will run as follows:

Total: 5,000 words
Bugbear society: 1,000 words
Tribal Structure: 1,000 words
Stat blocks: 1,000 words
Playing a bugbear PC: 500 words
New feats: 750 words
New spells: 750 words
Adventures

The process for adventures is similar to that for articles. When you want to submit an idea for an adventure, complete the following and include them in the body of your email submission.

Adventure Level:

Describe your villain in two sentences or less.

Describe your villain’s goals and motivations in two sentences or less.

Describe your villain’s lair in five sentences or less.

Describe one or two encounters in this adventure, each in two sentences or less.

Provide a plot synopsis of your adventure in one paragraph.

Encounter Format
See below for a copy of our encounter format. Use this format to generate all tactical encounters (typically combat encounters or traps, but really any encounter in which terrain is important or a monster’s statistics might be relevant).

Related Products
If your adventure uses material from a non-core book (Player’s Handbook®, Dungeon Master’s Guide®, or Monster Manual®), let us know. Adventures intended to supplement new rules from these books are always welcome. Also, if your article is intended for use with one of our published campaign settings (Forgotten Realms® or Eberron®), let us know.

Estimated Word Count
Most adventures run around 8,000 to 10,000 words. Side Treks, which are essentially single-encounter adventures that run around 2,000 words, are in especially high demand and a great way to cut your teeth on adventure design.
Tactical Encounter Template

The following template (below) shows how to structure a tactical encounter, including changes this format imposes on other stylistic norms (such as creature statistics). In the template, purple text indicates places within text you should replace with the details of your encounter, returning that text to the color of the surrounding text when you’re done. Red text in brackets makes up guidelines that you can delete once you understand them. Blue text makes up text in the TAG style. Underneath headers appear instructions that you can replace with your encounter’s details—the instructions in these sections are formatted in the style your encounter should use for that section, such as Pull Quote (ENCOUNTER) for the read-alouds, Core Body for running prose, or Sidebar Body for running text in a sidebar. This document contains the styles necessary to execute the tactical encounter format in Word, but you need not use core bold, core italic, and the like —you can use plain italic and bold, and we’ll reformat to the proper styles.

Due to the variable line lengths of statistics blocks, word counts are tricky for tactical encounters. Aim for 700 words for a one-page encounter—it’s easier to trim an encounter than it is to expand one. For two-page encounters, 1,700 words should be enough. You might need more words if you have fewer or smaller statistics blocks than the sample encounters show.

Samples follow the template. The first few samples show one-page tactical encounters for rooms in a dungeon. Outdoor areas use the same sorts of headers and information hierarchy, but the “Features” header changes as shown in the two-page samples. The last few samples show two-page tactical encounters that occur in outdoor areas.

Download the Tactical Encounter Template.
D&D Article and Adventure Submission Terms and Conditions

In submitting any materials to Wizards of the Coast, Inc. (“Wizards”) by sending them to Wizards through its submissions e-mail address at submissions@wizards.com, the submitter (hereinafter “Author”) agrees to the following terms and conditions. For the avoidance of doubt, submission of any and all materials (“Work”) is considered acknowledgment of this agreement.

1. Author Warranties
Author warrants that he has clear title to the Work. Author also warrants that the Work has not been published previously and that the Work is not being considered for publication by any other publisher. Author warrants further that the Work is original and does not infringe upon any copyrighted material other than that published by Wizards of the Coast.

2. No Obligation
Author acknowledges that Wizards is under no obligation to acquire the Work.

3. Risk of Loss or Damage
Author agrees to retain a complete copy of all Works. Wizards will not return any Work to Author, and Wizards is not responsible for the loss of or damage to original manuscripts or revisions of it supplied by Author.

4. Independent Development
Author acknowledges that the Work may be similar to the theme, plot, idea, format, or other element of material that Wizards has independently developed or that has or may come to Wizards from other sources. Author shall not be entitled to any compensation by reason of the use by Wizards of such similar material, whether developed or acquired by Wizards before or after Author’s submission of the Work.

5. Miscellaneous
This Agreement shall be deemed to be entered into and governed by the laws of the State of Washington applicable to contract made and performed entirely therein and constitutes the entire Agreement between the parties regarding the Work. This Agreement shall take effect upon the date of submission. No waiver by one party to this Agreement of any breach by the other party of any term or condition of this Agreement shall be deemed to be a waiver of any other breach of the same or any other term or condition of this or any other agreement. If any term or condition of this Agreement shall be held to be invalid or void, that term or condition shall be deemed to be stricken without affecting the validity or enforceability of the remainder of the terms and conditions of this Agreement. Except as otherwise provided in the Agreement, any subsequent modification or termination of this Agreement shall be binding upon and inure to the benefit of and be enforceable by the successors and assigns of the respective parties.

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerûn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerûn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium

Edited by - Lord Karsus on 20 Nov 2008 00:31:46
Go to Top of Page

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2008 :  17:37:55  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
the December DDI article release dates are up. it appears at least one FR related adventure will appear. ruins of starmantle. Hopefully, more and more consistent Realms material will start popping up soon.

If you have not checked out the beta version of the character builder, you may want to at least consider it.

Edited by - scererar on 22 Nov 2008 17:38:30
Go to Top of Page

Eremite
Learned Scribe

Singapore
182 Posts

Posted - 23 Nov 2008 :  13:29:34  Show Profile  Visit Eremite's Homepage Send Eremite a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If you like the 4E ruleset then the Character Builder and Compendium are worth the (very, very, very low) monthly subscription fee alone. The Compendium, in particular, is an amazing resource: I can print out the stat block of any monster or NPC from any book, article or adventure and then insert it into my own materials. That alone is going to save HOURS of prep time.

Of course, if you consider 4E the Abomination of Desolation, it won't have that much utility but for USD4.95 a month for a one year subscription it is dirt cheap.

Best
E
Go to Top of Page

Ikki
Seeker

Finland
57 Posts

Posted - 28 Nov 2008 :  18:47:14  Show Profile  Visit Ikki's Homepage Send Ikki a Private Message  Reply with Quote
DDI could have worked, had they decided to keep producing sourcebooks etc... and the provided all free for downloading on the DDI.. all naturally marked with data traceable to the creditcard.

Then charging something akin to $30/month, $40/6 Months, $50/year.

And these books wouldnt need to have material cut out of slimmed down for the purpose of printing. Editing would get to be what it was meant to, aiming for functionality.. not butchering works.

But even then, as mentioned elsewhere.. without stores its all doomed from aquiring new customers.
So maybe the ddi is doomed anyway...
20 years from now, any nerds talking about how they played d&d as 12yr olds (being born tomorrow or maybe last week). I doubt it. They might be remembering 3d hologram wow with painfeedback.. and that crazy korean kid who turned his more real and actually died from the pain. D&D is about to become as relevant as mini-lp:s (found moms a few years ago.. green tambourine & stop in the name of love :D )

ps. If they wont be producing books, and ddi is unlikely to be expanded much... novel lines in a freeze.. guess writers will have to test the old tsr threat "you will never find work, working for someone else".
And cyberpunk flopping big time too... i wonder how twilight 2014 will come out... looks like pen´n´paper will just die out.. old models changed so much they cannot even keep the diehards (like me -heck im still posting here, that should be evidence enough)

Edited by - Ikki on 28 Nov 2008 18:54:28
Go to Top of Page

Mr_Miscellany
Senior Scribe

545 Posts

Posted - 28 Nov 2008 :  19:49:31  Show Profile Send Mr_Miscellany a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Definitely yes.

The content is good and the insider scoops are fun to be a part of (like working on the Barbarian class pre-release).

The online tools are definitely improving.

One of my players subscribes and has already built a custom full-color character sheet for his half-drow paladin, via the online character builder. For once I was actually impressed by a character sheet! You can actually change the display and layout of the character sheet to suit your style.

At first glance, the D&DI Compendium appears as little more than an old-school search window. Just type in a word or words of interest, and the compendium breaks down search results by a count next to each of ten possible topics: (races, classes, powers, feats, items, skills, rituals, paragon paths, epic destinies and monsters.

The one nice thing about the Compendium is that it is regularly updated with all Dragon Magazine content and sourcebook content.

Type in “Cormyr” and the Draeven Marauder from Dragon #365 (the Cormyr article) pops up. Click on the link and you’re taken to a complete breakdown of the class, its description and powers.

Type in “Dragon” and you get 137 monster hits, several of which come right from the recently released Draconomicon.

This works pretty good for me because I’m an impatient DM. I like to plan but I like that process to be easy. Looking things up faster than I can find them in a book helps.

There are other online tools I’ve not delved too deeply in and some I’m still waiting for to be made public (Dungeon Builder and online Game Table).

So, plenty for me to play with until the next Realms article shows up.

edit: Looks like the Character Builder isn't completed yet either. Beta testing just closed for it.

Edited by - Mr_Miscellany on 28 Nov 2008 20:12:58
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 28 Nov 2008 :  20:41:52  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

-- George Krashos

Interesting that you bring this up - about a year ago there was supposedly an 'open call' for Dragon authors, when the magazine went all-digital. I had high hopes of seeing some new talent showcased... and then all the articles that did appear were by WotC designers.

So I thought to myself... everyone (including me) was sending lists of their wonderful article ideas off to wotC, and then the designers themselves were writing all the articles.

hmmmm... that just didn't sit right with me AT ALL.

Now, in retrospect I realize that it was just plain BS - all of the articles that have appeared have either been 4e or 4e previews - NONE of which could have been written by fans. In order to write for them, you need to have a copy of their '4eFR manifesto' (or whatever they are calling their uber-secret plans).

Think about it... they ask US to send them article ideas, knowing full well we couldn't write 4e articles (have no knowledge of the setting at all back then). The ONLY articles fans could have written at the time they asked for ideas were 3e articles - which they weren't accepting.

You do the math.

Edited by - Markustay on 30 Nov 2008 19:04:26
Go to Top of Page

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 29 Nov 2008 :  01:10:27  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
the other day, WOTC announced an open call for short fiction in Dragon. Now may be the time to do it.
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 29 Nov 2008 :  02:38:49  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scererar

the other day, WOTC announced an open call for short fiction in Dragon. Now may be the time to do it.

Have a link for that?

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3738 Posts

Posted - 29 Nov 2008 :  23:47:51  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Intersting that you bring this up - about a year ago thee was supposedly an 'open call' for Dragon authors, when the magazine went all-digital. I had high hopes of seeing some new talent showcased... and then all the articles that did appear were by WotC designers.

So I thought to myself... everyone (including me) was sending lists of their wonderful article ideas off to wotC, and then the designers themselves were writing all the articles.

hmmmm... that just didn't sit right with me AT ALL.

-I recall a regular contributor of the print magazine (It might have been Shemmy, but I don't want to speak for everyone's favorite Arcanaloth) mentioning having sent numerous submission ideas to the online magazine a few months back, when it first debuted, and having not a single one accepted (And, if it was Shemmy, we all know the quality of theoretical articles).

Elves of Faerûn
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3738 Posts

Posted - 29 Nov 2008 :  23:48:32  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dalor Darden

quote:
Originally posted by scererar

Have a link for that?

-The submissions page from DRAGON has not been updated to reflect such an open call, if this is indeed correct information.

Elves of Faerûn
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page