Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 RPG News & Releases
 WOTC's Fall Catalog
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2009 :  01:21:43  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Didn't see anyone else posting this so I grabbed it from ENworld. My thanks for Thalmin for posting it.

D&D
Dungeon Master's Guide 2 by Mike Mearls, Robin D. Laws, and Greg Gorden
This core rulebook for the Dungeons & Dragons Roleplaying Game features advice and rules for Dungeon Masters of all levels of experience, with a particular focus on running adventures and campaigns in the paragon tier (levels 11-20). It includes advanced encounter-building tools (including traps and skill challenges), storytelling tips to bring your game to life, new monster frameworks to help you craft the perfect villian, example campaign arcs, a comprehensive look at skill challenges, and a detailed "home base" for paragon-tier adventures -- the interplanar city of Sigil.
Sept 15, 2009
224 page hardcover $34.95

Dragon Magazine Annual, Volume 1 Editied by Chris Youngs
This book collects the best Dragon magazine content from the past year into one easy-to-reference source. The articles contained herein provide exciting character options for players as well as inspiration and campaign-building support for Dungeon Masters. All of this material is 100% official and suitable for any D&D game.
In addition to the compiled articles, the book contains never-before -seen notes from the designers, developers, and editors that take you behind the curtain, offering a firsthand glimpse into the origin and evolution of each article.
Sept 15, 2009
160 page hardcover $29.95

Primal Power by Mike Mearls, Rob Heinsoo, Logan Bonner, and Robert J Schwalb
Take a walk on the wild side! This must-have book is the latest in a line of player-friendly game supplements offering hundreds of new options for D&D characters, specifically focusing on heroes who draw power from the spirits that preserve and sustain the world. It provides new archtypal builds for barbarians, druids, shamans, and wardens, including new character powers, feats, paragon paths, and epic destinies.
Oct 20, 2009

E3 Prince of Undeath by Bruce R. Cordell and Scott Fitzgerald Gray
This epic-level D&D adventure is designed to take characters from 27th to 30th level. In this adventure, the demon lord Orcus tries to usurp the Raven Queen's power over death using a shard of evil plucked from the depths of the Abyss. Only the world's most powerful heroes have the slightest hope of stopping him.
This adventure can be played as a stand-alone adventure or as the conclusion of a three-part series that spans 10 levels of gameplay.
Oct 20, 2009
$24.95

Sinister Woods Dungeon Tiles
This D&D game accessory gives Dungeon Masters an easy and inexpensive way to include great-looking terrain in their games. This set provides ready-to-use, configurable tiles with which to build encounter locations. It allows DMs to build outdoor encounter sites with wondrous terrain.
Oct 20, 2009
6 double-sided sheets $9.95

Draconomicon 2: Metallic Dragons by Richard Baker, Ari Marmell, David Noonan, and Robert J. Schwalb
Draconomicon 2: Metallic Dragons describes several varieties of dragons, including gold, silver, copper, iron, and adamantine dragons. It also introduces several other kinds of metallic dragons suitable for any D&D campaign.
This supplement presents dragons both malevolent and benign, and gives details on each dragon's powers, tactics, myths, lairs, servitors, and more. In addition, this book provides new information abut the roles that metallic dragons fill in a D&D game. Story and campaign elements in the book give Dungeon Masters ready-to-play material that is easily incorporated into a game, including adventure hooks, quests, encounters, and pregenerated treasure hoards.
Nov 17, 2009
288 page hardcover $39.95

Arcane Power Cards
Each deck of 100 cards includes all the powers from Arcane Power for each of the five classes featured in the book - swordmage, bard, wizard, warlock, and sorcerer, - plus a few blank cards for players to use for other powers.
(note: the catalog gives SKUs for 6 different decks - bard, sorcerer, warlock, wizard, swordmage 1, and swordmage 2 - as well as an SKU for the assortment display. thalmin) edit: the swordmage 1 deck is probably the Forgotten Realms Player's Guide deck, while the swordmage 2 deck would be the Arcane Powers deck.
Nov 17, 2009
$9.99 per deck

The Plane Below: Secrets of the Elemental Chaos by Ari Marmell, Bruce R. Cordell, and Luke Johnson
A hotbed of adventure opportunities awaits you in the roiling maelstrom of the Elemental Chaos - a plane of titans, elementals, genies, slaads, and demons. This game supplement builds on the overview of the Elemental Chaos presented in the Manual of the Planes game supplement and explores the tumultuous plane in greater detail. From the City of Brass to the githzerai monestary of Zerthadlun to the spiraling depths of the Abyss, adventure lurks behind every lava waterfall, across every icy battlefield, and beyond every raging lightning storm.
This game supplement describes the Elemental Chaos in detail, featuring key locations throughout the plane. It also presents a multitude of new monsters, mighty primordials, and powerful demons, as well as adventure hooks, encounters, hazards, and everything Dungeon Masters need to make Elemental Chaos a featured setting in their campaigns.
December 15, 2009

Star Wars
Galaxy at War by Rodney Thompson, Gary Astleford, Eric Cagle, and Daniel Wallace
Warfare is a common theme throughout the Star Wars saga. From the Clone Wars to the Galactic Civil War, soldiers have their work cut out for them. this supplement gives players and Gamemasters everything they need to run games or play characters in a war-torn galaxy. Includes rules for military units as well as new character options, new gear and starships, and a host of adventure hooks and campaign seeds that can be used to inject military flavor into campaigns of all eras.
Contains new content based on the popular animated series, The Clone Wars
Sept 15, 2009
224 page hardcover $39.95

Scavenger's Guide to Droids by Rodney Thompson, Sterling Hershey, Patrick Stutzman, and Rob Wieland
The Scavenger's Guide to Droids is the ultimate reference to droids across the Star Wars saga. With this guide, players and gamemasters will find tools to build their own droid characters, using templates from various manufacturers. New options for game play include talents, feats, equipment, modifications, quirks, and prestige classes for any droid character. This supplement also contains scores of new droids for Gamemasters to include in adventures and campaigns set in any Star Wars era, as well as tips for customizing unique droid models.
Nov 17, 2009
160 page hardcover $34.95

Miniatures
Axis & Allies Early War: 1939-1941
Tanks, aircraft, and infantry from the early campaigns in Poland, Belgium, and France will debut in this set. It will also include German and Russian units that fought in the furious opening battles of Operation Barbarossa, the invasion of the Soviet Union. 50 figures in the set, 5 random figures per booster.
Sept 15, 2009
$14.99

Star Wars Galaxy at War
This set features characters from The Clone Wars animated series. 40 figures in the set, 7 random figures per booster.
Oct 30, 2009

Monster Manual: Savage Encounters
This set features miniatures from the Monster Manual and other game supplements. 40 monsters in the set, 1 visible and 4 random figures per booster.
Nov 17, 2009
$14.99

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2009 :  01:30:03  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And here I find only the two Star Wars books attracting my greatest amount of interest.

Though, the planar book sounds interesting too.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2009 :  01:57:23  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

And here I find only the two Star Wars books attracting my greatest amount of interest.

Though, the planar book sounds interesting too.

The Stars Wars books are the only things of interest to me, as well.

But I gotta comment on "Dragon Magazine Annual, Volume 1". Mother of Lurue, is there some reason WotC is compelled to constantly reuse names?!? As if a Draconomicon for 2E, 3E, and 4E isn't enough, now they've got to reuse magazine names? This is getting ridiculous...

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 03 Apr 2009 01:57:58
Go to Top of Page

coach
Senior Scribe

USA
479 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2009 :  04:38:15  Show Profile Send coach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
isn't it like volume 6 or 7 LOL

Bloodstone Lands Sage
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2009 :  05:28:54  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was actually considering the Dragon Compendium, until I saw this -

quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

In addition to the compiled articles, the book contains never-before -seen notes from the designers, developers, and editors that take you behind the curtain, offering a firsthand glimpse into the origin and evolution of each article.
Sept 15, 2009
Yeaaaaaaaah... thats what I want to pay for - them telling us about how they go about doing their jobs.

Maybe they'll tell us excatly how they butter their toast while they are at it.

Like that information is useful at all to running a game... yeesh.

For a company thats awfully concerned with page-counts these days, they sure know how to waste them.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 03 Apr 2009 22:03:48
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2009 :  06:54:27  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
WotC mastered it in 3E. 20 pages in some books for totally useless Prestige Classes, when they could have produced more Realmslore. Dont get me started about feats.

On topic the Star Wars stuff is so mine!

BRIMSTONE

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2009 :  07:15:14  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

I was actually considering the Dragon Compendium, until I saw this -

quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

Sept 15, 2009
Yeaaaaaaaah... thats what I want to pay for - them telling us about how they go about doing their jobs.

Maybe they'll tell us excatly how they butter their toast while they are at it.

Like that informations is useful at all to running a game... yeesh.

For a company thats awfully concerned with page-counts these days, they sure know how to waste them.

And it's a hardcover, with a correspondingly higher price. It might even be cheaper to buy the individual issues the articles came in, rather than springing for the hardcover.

Go to Top of Page

Kyrene
Senior Scribe

South Africa
732 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2009 :  08:49:34  Show Profile  Visit Kyrene's Homepage Send Kyrene a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Edit: added underlined section, to clarify.

Exactly how many DDI-subscription-only Realms articles have been published in Dragon since it went 'electronic'? I seem to recall three, so that's about $9.95 an article. Thank you, but I think I'll pass on the 'annual' and rather buy four novels.

Lost for words? Find them in the Glossary of Phrases, Sayings & Words of the Realms

Edited by - Kyrene on 03 Apr 2009 14:48:52
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2009 :  11:39:19  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Sinister Woods Dungeon Tiles sounds very exciting to me . I especially can't wait for that one.

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

Christopher_Rowe
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
879 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2009 :  13:02:31  Show Profile  Visit Christopher_Rowe's Homepage Send Christopher_Rowe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kyrene

Exactly how many Realms articles have been published in Dragon since it went 'electronic'? I seem to recall three[...]

Sixteen, I think.

• "Grand History of the Realms: The Moonshaes" by Brian R. James, Dragon 362 (20 January 2008). 11 pages.

• "Year of the Ageless One" by Rich Baker. Dragon 362 (11 January 2008). 3 pages.

• "Magic in the Forgotten Realms" by Bruce Cordell. Dragon 362 (30 January 2008). 3 pages.

• "Spellplague: The Wailing Years" by Brian James. Dragon 362 (27 February 2008). 5 pages.

• "Backdrop: Cormyr" by Brian R. James. Dragon 365 (July 2008): 16-24. 9 pages.

• "Rose Keep: A Red Wizard Enclave" by Bruce R. Cordell. Dragon 366 (August 2008): 41-49. 9 pages.

• "Gontal" by Bruce R. Cordell and Ed Greenwood. Dragon 366 (August 2008): 50-52. 3 pages.

• "Epic Faerûn" by Richard Baker. Dragon 367 (September 2008): 5-10. 6 pages.

• "Ecology of the Genasi" by Rodney Thompson. Dragon 367 (September 2008): 11-21. 11 pages.

• "Children of Darkness" by Robert J. Schwalb. Dragon 367 (September 2008): 31-41. 11 pages.

• "Hall of the Frostmaiden" by Brian R. James. Dragon 367 (September 2008): 58-62. 5 pages.

• "Primordial Paths" by Greg Bilsland. Dragon 367 (September 2008): 55-57. 3 pages.

• "Adventurers of the Realms" by Chris Tulach. Dragon 370 (December 2008): 35-39. 5 pages.

• "Shadar-kai in the Realms: Sidebar" by Chris Sims. Dragon 372 (February 2009): 13. 1 page.

• "Backdrop: Tarmalune: by Ed Greenwood. Dragon 372 (February 2009): 46-59. 14 pages.

• "Ecology of the Sharn" by Brian R. James. Dragon 373 (March 2009): 53-61. 9 pages.

My Realms novel, Sandstorm, is now available for ordering.

Edited by - Christopher_Rowe on 03 Apr 2009 13:32:56
Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2009 :  13:56:00  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Christopher_Rowe

I think he probably meant how many since the subscription started and therefore is it worth buying to possibly see the articles.

But I guess you knew that as well

Cheers

Damian

So saith Ed. I've never said he was sane, have I?
Gods, all this writing and he's running a constant fantasy version of Coronation Street in his head, too. .
shudder,
love to all,
THO
Candlekeep Forum 7 May 2005
Go to Top of Page

Kyrene
Senior Scribe

South Africa
732 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2009 :  14:46:01  Show Profile  Visit Kyrene's Homepage Send Kyrene a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by crazedventurers

quote:
Originally posted by Christopher_Rowe

I think he probably meant how many since the subscription started and therefore is it worth buying to possibly see the articles.

But I guess you knew that as well

Cheers

Damian

Yup, you got it Damian. I meant DDI subscribed articles, not the 4€ freebies we got. I will edit my previous post appropriately.

Lost for words? Find them in the Glossary of Phrases, Sayings & Words of the Realms
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2009 :  22:12:31  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Note there were FAR more written before they started charging... although a few of those I would count as long advertisements and NOT articles.

Now compare that to all the Realms articles over the 3e years - all of which are still available for FREE. It seems the more they want, they less they are willing to give.

The DDi isn't about FR, it's about playing 4e, so if you aren't planning to do so, it's a complete waste... as is that Dragon Compendium, and it's mutual back-slapping "behind the scenes" garbage.

However, if I were ever to play 4eD&D (stranger things have happened), I would gladly pay for the DDi because then it's offerings would be useful to me.

I still wouldn't buy that compendium though... I think they need to stop re-milking old cows and come-out with something new for a change.

And will the amazing Headless Zhent be making an appearance in that tome?

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 03 Apr 2009 22:14:06
Go to Top of Page

Uzzy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
618 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2009 :  00:54:11  Show Profile  Visit Uzzy's Homepage Send Uzzy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Woot, Star Wars. Got to love Saga edition, and more books for that is always good. Add those to the forthcoming Star Wars Atlas, and my Saga games are golden!
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2009 :  04:01:19  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Now compare that to all the Realms articles over the 3e years - all of which are still available for FREE. It seems the more they want, they less they are willing to give.

The only Free Realms articles that people didnt complain about were the Ed ones. The other articles were called too generic or not realmsy enough. Case of revisionist history?
quote:

However, if I were ever to play 4eD&D (stranger things have happened), I would gladly pay for the DDi because then it's offerings would be useful to me.

I totally agree.
quote:

I still wouldn't buy that compendium though... I think they need to stop re-milking old cows and come-out with something new for a change.

Mayhap a reason the Realms got the big reboot? Not much new in this version of the Realms. A bunch of Old Empires that are new again
quote:

And will the amazing Headless Zhent be making an appearance in that tome?

BRIMSTONE

Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6647 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2009 :  05:38:39  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm really looking forward to the Axis & Allies Early War set.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2009 :  05:54:31  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If I had the money, I would SO invest in that stuff.

I buy army men for my younger boys just so I can play with them.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2009 :  06:51:35  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brimstone

quote:

The only Free Realms articles that people didnt complain about were the Ed ones. The other articles were called too generic or not realmsy enough. Case of revisionist history?

No. I quite enjoyed many of the non-Ed articles. I have a great many of them parked on my hard drive.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2009 :  08:49:39  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

quote:

No. I quite enjoyed many of the non-Ed articles. I have a great many of them parked on my hard drive.

Indeed. Like Eric Boyd's "Mintipers's Chapbook" series and Steven Schend's "Realms By Night" articles for example. Good and wholesome Realmslore from the early 3e period.

Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2009 :  09:14:50  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So what about this thread?
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2599 It starts at post #3.

BRIMSTONE

Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2009 :  14:21:55  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

BRIMSTONE

So what about it? That particular series of articles was crap. There have been a whole lot of other articles, though, and a large percentage of them were quite well received. I've got literally hundreds of articles I've grabbed from the WotC site, over the years, and the only (non-4E) ones I have complaints about were the Adventure Locales and the Return to Undermountain ones.

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 04 Apr 2009 14:22:34
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2009 :  15:25:02  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Indeed. I don't even think I bothered reading the last few articles posted for that series. I just gave up because it was so boring.

Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2009 :  00:05:03  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

You're grasping at straws, I think. A thread from four years ago? Come on...

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)

Edited by - Rinonalyrna Fathomlin on 05 Apr 2009 00:10:06
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6647 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2009 :  12:58:36  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

If I had the money, I would SO invest in that stuff.

I buy army men for my younger boys just so I can play with them.

They don't call it "Plastic Crack" for nothing. It is highly addictive.

I too am buying them for my boys so they can game with their old man in years to come. Hopefully it'll keep them off the streets ...

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Quale
Master of Realmslore

1757 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2009 :  15:58:53  Show Profile Send Quale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
the Pathfinder's fall catalog is much more appealing, I'll look at the planar book, won't buy it cause of what happened with the tanar'ri, yugoloths and archons
Go to Top of Page

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2009 :  21:10:53  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Quale

the Pathfinder's fall catalog is much more appealing, I'll look at the planar book, won't buy it cause of what happened with the tanar'ri, yugoloths and archons

Paizo's catalog for 2009 is full of *awesome* stuff... Cities of Golarion, Legacy of Fire AP, Dungeon Denizens Revisited, Bastards of Erebus AP, Dwarves of Golarion (with stronghold maps, no less), Cheliax, Taldor, Guide to Absalom, The Great Beyond (just to name a few)... and the most surprising product: City Map Folio, which includes bird's eye view maps of the cities in the Valerie Valusek-style (the amazing map she did of Waterdeep).

Seems like I'm going to be dirt poor by the end of the year, but I think it'll be well worth it!

"What am I doing today? Ask me tomorrow - I can be sure of giving you the right answer then."
-- Askarran of Selgaunt, Master Sage, speaking to a curious merchant, Year of the Helm
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2009 :  14:34:36  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I might actually consider the Dragon Magazine Annual because I prefer having my D&D material in book format rather than on a computer.

Go to Top of Page

Kyrene
Senior Scribe

South Africa
732 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2009 :  14:38:09  Show Profile  Visit Kyrene's Homepage Send Kyrene a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Since I didn't really get an answer to my question, I did some searching myself and found that up to now only four of the Dragon articles Christopher listed require both a DDI subscription and can be considered Realms articles:
"Adventurers of the Realms, "Playing Shadar-kai", "Backdrop: Tarmalune" and "Ecology of the Sharn".

By the time the 'annual' gets published, and at the current rate of publication, it'd be about 8 articles @ $3.75 each. Of course we'd get the other 100 pages for free if all the 'Realms articles' make the "best" cut in the first place.

Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2009 :  14:42:00  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well I WOULD like to have more bang for my buck as it pertains to Realms articles.

Go to Top of Page

Christopher_Rowe
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
879 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2009 :  15:18:45  Show Profile  Visit Christopher_Rowe's Homepage Send Christopher_Rowe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alisttair

Well I WOULD like to have more bang for my buck as it pertains to Realms articles.

At a guess, with the new rules that more closely tie the powers of clerics, paladins, invokers and avengers to the portfolios of their deities previewed from Divine Power today, I bet we'll be seeing a string of articles about Realms deities. The placeholders left open in the Compendium under all the Realms greater gods, gods, and exarchs makes me even more hopeful that that's the case.

My Realms novel, Sandstorm, is now available for ordering.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2009 :  15:57:29  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alisttair

I might actually consider the Dragon Magazine Annual because I prefer having my D&D material in book format rather than on a computer.

Not me. I was just looking at the Dragon Compendium. It has content from several years' worth of Dragon, not just one, has almost 100 more pages, and is only $10 more. And Monster Ecologies -- also from several years of Dragon -- was 130 pages, softcover, and $19.99.

So 30 pages less and softcover is $10 less, and 100 pages more in hardcover is $10 more.

If it was a 160 page softcover for $20 or $25, I'd be closer to being interested.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000