Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 RPG News & Releases
 WOTC's Fall Catalog
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Christopher_Rowe
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
879 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2009 :  15:57:39  Show Profile  Visit Christopher_Rowe's Homepage Send Christopher_Rowe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by capnvan

What was that Johnson said about the "triumph of hope over experience"?

I believe it was "A second marriage is the triumph of hope over experience," but I'd have to consult Gwenda's copy of Boswell to be sure. Gwenda being my second wife, to whom I'm happily married.

He also said that "sturdy rejections are among the most common topicks of falsehood." Interesting cat, Johnson.

My Realms novel, Sandstorm, is now available for ordering.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2009 :  20:26:47  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wasn't it Moses who said "Fool me once..."

As a New Yorker, I have to look at everything this way - anytime anyone tries to convince you of anything, there's a 99% chance that they are lying to you about something.

The other 1% of the time they are being honest... which just makes them a schmuck.

Does that make all NYers cynical pessimists? Of course it does... but pessimists are rarely disappointed.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2009 :  21:37:13  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

<snip> but pessimists are rarely disappointed.

Actually, pessimists are disappointed every time it's sunny instead of raining. Cynics, however, distrust all, so are rarely disappointed when the see trust that has been misplaced. Having not trusted, they are never betrayed and thus are rarely disappointed in their outlook.

Anyway, I agree with you about New Yorkers (growing up 90 minutes from the city and then having a lot of commuters move into the area taught me that much).

I'm sorry, what were we talking about again? The fall catalog? Oh, yes, I think that Heidi Klum looks lovely on page 13...

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs

Edited by - Ashe Ravenheart on 07 Apr 2009 21:38:15
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2009 :  00:50:22  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As a upstate NYer, I agree. Yes people, there are places in NY besides NYC! Grumble.

quote:

Wasn't it Moses who said "Fool me once..."

As a New Yorker, I have to look at everything this way - anytime anyone tries to convince you of anything, there's a 99% chance that they are lying to you about something.

The other 1% of the time they are being honest... which just makes them a schmuck.

Does that make all NYers cynical pessimists? Of course it does... but pessimists are rarely disappointed.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2009 :  02:35:48  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

As a upstate NYer, I agree. Yes people, there are places in NY besides NYC! Grumble.

No you LIE YOU LIE!!!

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2009 :  04:45:41  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I live on the Island, and yet I still refer to myself as a 'NYer' (although people from there call where I live 'the country', which I find very funny).

Then again, people who live in Manhattan think the other four boroughs are 'the burbs' (and two of those are on MY island). I suppose if there is such a thing as the "Ugly American", then NewYorkers would probably be the stereotype.

What were we talking about... Oh yeah... Heidi Klum.... I find myself addicted to her Project Runway show for some bizarre reason.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2009 :  05:16:01  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmmm. I sure there was a topic here somewhere?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2009 :  05:34:34  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

Hmmm. I sure there was a topic here somewhere?

Oh please, not like you never go off topic! Grin. Yeah, I'm being snarky tonight.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2009 :  05:46:58  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Good. 'Tis been a while since I've had to use the dreaded Staff of the Irritated Moderator +5.

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2009 :  05:59:46  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Good. 'Tis been a while since I've had to use the dreaded Staff of the Irritated Moderator +5.

Shivers in fear. What if I find my Axe of Evil Chopping +10 to chop up your staff? :)

Okay, I'm done being snarky. :)

Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 09 Apr 2009 :  00:06:04  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

I think I've heard of that, yes... It's called Attica, right?

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 09 Apr 2009 :  14:59:27  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

You stole it from Alaundo?

"What am I doing today? Ask me tomorrow - I can be sure of giving you the right answer then."
-- Askarran of Selgaunt, Master Sage, speaking to a curious merchant, Year of the Helm
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 09 Apr 2009 :  16:10:40  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Actually, the original Staff of the Irritated Moderator was my own creation. The other Mods, and Alaundo, simply started borrowing it from me.

As for the "+5," well, I don't quite recall which scribe suggested that particular increase.

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 09 Apr 2009 :  17:05:44  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Didn't you use to have a Rodent-bane Scepter as well?

I think Wooly hid that when he 'ascended'.

Edited by - Markustay on 09 Apr 2009 23:55:35
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 09 Apr 2009 :  19:35:30  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Actually, the original Staff of the Irritated Moderator was my own creation. The other Mods, and Alaundo, simply started borrowing it from me.

As for the "+5," well, I don't quite recall which scribe suggested that particular increase.

My mod hat has usually been enough for me. That or threatening people with a swarm of Miniature Giant Space Hamsters.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 09 Apr 2009 :  19:36:34  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Didn't you use to have Rodent-bane Scepter as well?

I think Wooly hid that when he 'ascended'.

Nope, don't know a thing about that. See my innocent expression? *dusts off halo*

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 09 Apr 2009 19:39:09
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000