Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Amazons of the Realms?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Ardashir
Senior Scribe

USA
544 Posts

Posted - 17 Oct 2008 :  17:21:36  Show Profile  Visit Ardashir's Homepage Send Ardashir a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Am I misremembering, or is there supposed to be an island full of Amazons in the sea of Fallen Stars called Ixinos?

And if I'm not wrong, where if anywhere has anything 'official' been written about the ladies and their island?

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 17 Oct 2008 :  19:37:59  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Good question - I don't see anything in either Pirates of the Fallen Stars or Sea of Fallen Stars.

Edit: Found it... pg.32 in the Vilhon Reach sourcebook.

Not much there, though, and they are NOT called 'Amazons' at all - just a female mercenary company that is ruled by a 'Queen' and doesn't allow visitors.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 17 Oct 2008 19:42:41
Go to Top of Page

Fillow
Master of Realmslore

France
1608 Posts

Posted - 17 Oct 2008 :  20:24:00  Show Profile  Visit Fillow's Homepage Send Fillow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You could also find a full page of information about these she-warriors in Gold and Glory, p27 (... The She-Wolves are female warriors from a small island in the mouth of the Vilhon Reach. Their society is an amazon-style culture, and the women of Ixinos are trained for battle almost from their birth...)

"Today is a good day to smile",
Fillow Big'n'Book Mahlemiut 'Lead-dog', Son of Garl, Wanderer of the Masked Leaf and Namer of Oghma.

- Fight in the arena and have fun ! :
La brute.com
- Feel free to take part to these projects : Post-Spellplague bibliography ; 4E index project ; Taverns and inns of the Realms ; Dogs of the Realms ; Descriptions of places in the novels ; forums, RPG, FR Abbreviations and Acronyms
- Come and have a look at the already asked questions from the Forgotten Realms Trivia Challenge

I am a French FR fan, so please forgive my lapses in English language and do not hesitate to correct me. Thanks a lot.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 17 Oct 2008 :  20:34:30  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Good question - I don't see anything in either Pirates of the Fallen Stars or Sea of Fallen Stars.

Not much there, though, and they are NOT called 'Amazons' at all - just a female mercenary company that is ruled by a 'Queen' and doesn't allow visitors.

Well, they don't call themselves Amazons, but the word is used in the text. And the She-Wolves aren't the entirety of its population.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 17 Oct 2008 :  21:24:52  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I always forget about Gold & Glory... thanks for that.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Fillow
Master of Realmslore

France
1608 Posts

Posted - 17 Oct 2008 :  21:38:43  Show Profile  Visit Fillow's Homepage Send Fillow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You're welcome Mark !
I'd like to know half the Realmslore you know !

"Today is a good day to smile",
Fillow Big'n'Book Mahlemiut 'Lead-dog', Son of Garl, Wanderer of the Masked Leaf and Namer of Oghma.

- Fight in the arena and have fun ! :
La brute.com
- Feel free to take part to these projects : Post-Spellplague bibliography ; 4E index project ; Taverns and inns of the Realms ; Dogs of the Realms ; Descriptions of places in the novels ; forums, RPG, FR Abbreviations and Acronyms
- Come and have a look at the already asked questions from the Forgotten Realms Trivia Challenge

I am a French FR fan, so please forgive my lapses in English language and do not hesitate to correct me. Thanks a lot.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2008 :  00:31:01  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fillow

You could also find a full page of information about these she-warriors in Gold and Glory, p27 (... The She-Wolves are female warriors from a small island in the mouth of the Vilhon Reach. Their society is an amazon-style culture, and the women of Ixinos are trained for battle almost from their birth...)

I seem to recall them being briefly referenced in the Four From Cormyr adventure module as well.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2008 :  00:35:01  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

Well, they don't call themselves Amazons, but the word is used in the text. And the She-Wolves aren't the entirety of its population.

Indeed. They're just a mercenary band operating from the island itself. The "There are a few men on Ixinos, but they are reportedly treated as slaves by the matriarchal society that exists on the island." snippet re-inforces the earlier bit about Ixinos being populated by "amazons."

Edited by - The Sage on 18 Oct 2008 00:35:58
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2008 :  04:53:24  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
But since these are Realmsian versions and not the real deal, they still have their ummm... hope chests... intact.

Thank God for fantasy literature and media, else we'd have to live with Homer's version (and I don't mean Simpson ).

Go to Top of Page

Nerfed2Hell
Senior Scribe

USA
387 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2008 :  14:34:46  Show Profile  Visit Nerfed2Hell's Homepage Send Nerfed2Hell a Private Message  Reply with Quote
D'oh!

Some people are like a slinky... not good for much, but when you push them down the stairs, it makes you smile.
Go to Top of Page

Kamuraki
Seeker

USA
78 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2008 :  16:45:49  Show Profile  Visit Kamuraki's Homepage Send Kamuraki a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Amazons, another great way for a man to die. :)

"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move."

- Douglas Adams
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2008 :  16:46:38  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I always thought it would have been cool to read about a war between the Amazons and the Spartans...

Ixinos is a bit of a silly thing to me: if its primary warriors are often off fighting as mercenaries, what has prevented their nation from being conquered? I mean...it is a VERY small island at that!

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2008 :  17:12:43  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dalor Darden

Ixinos is a bit of a silly thing to me: if its primary warriors are often off fighting as mercenaries, what has prevented their nation from being conquered? I mean...it is a VERY small island at that!

I'd agree with you, if there was any indication that the She-Wolves were the primary warriors. But there is zero indication that the She-Wolves are the primary warriors of Ixinos, and it doesn't make sense to assume they are.

For there to be a group of 250 that leaves the island, it stands to reason that several thousand, at least, remain. So there's no reason to assume that the island is (ahem) unmanned when the mercs aren't there.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2008 :  17:28:36  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

I'd agree with you, if there was any indication that the She-Wolves were the primary warriors. But there is zero indication that the She-Wolves are the primary warriors of Ixinos, and it doesn't make sense to assume they are.

For there to be a group of 250 that leaves the island, it stands to reason that several thousand, at least, remain. So there's no reason to assume that the island is (ahem) unmanned when the mercs aren't there.

Indeed. And the very fact that the She-Wolves are out patrolling off the shores of Ixinos probably allows for a certain degree of "advanced warning" about most minor threats to the island. This would undoubtedly provide the amazons, and Queen Elissa, time enough to prepare whatever defenses they are capable of mustering against outside threats.

Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2008 :  17:36:35  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

I guess I made an assumption based on this:

Though the membership of the She-
Wolves rotates, the company always has
two units of infantry (each with 50 3rdlevel
warriors), one of cavalry (50 4th-level
warriors), and one of archers (50 5th-level
warriors). There are also 10 scouts (rangers,
levels 4-7), 10 sorceresses (levels 2-5),
and 20 priestesses (levels 3-8). Each unit
has a leader of like abilities, chosen from
members of the unit. The group#146;s current
overall leader, Theia, is a 9th-level paladin.

This is a pretty high-powered group...I would hope that they are not "common" soldiers of Ixinos...or then I would be wondering why in the Nine Hells they hadn't conquered a kingdom of their own beyond their island! It does mention that membership rotates...so now you have got me thinking that there is more to this island of Ixinos than I had given credit for.

Hmmmm...I wonder if anyone has given a more detailed write-up anywhere on this place?

Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2008 :  18:07:33  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The only reference to Ixinos I've found in a quick search of materials is from "The Vilhoun Reach" supplement:

"The island of Ixinos is most known for its population of amazons. It is a community that savors its solitude from the rest of the Reach, only trading with select ships captained by females. The most renowned group from Ixinos is The She-Wolves. This mercenary band is composed of more than 250 strong women who seek out military excursions within the Reach and patrol the shores of Ixinos, securing it from any pirate excursions. Little is known of the island other than its port city, Tazixor, and ruler, Queen Elissa Tarixon. The island does not permit visitors, even diplomatic envoys, from neighboring countries.
There are a few men on Ixinos, but they are reportedly treated as slaves by the matriarchal society that exists on the island. They are considered highly valuable property, but captives nonetheless."

Since this is free for download from WotC...thought it would be ok to post here for Ardashir.

EDIT: small errors

Edited by - Dalor Darden on 18 Oct 2008 18:09:15
Go to Top of Page

Ardashir
Senior Scribe

USA
544 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2008 :  20:38:13  Show Profile  Visit Ardashir's Homepage Send Ardashir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks everybody for all your help.

Perhaps it would have been better to ask, "Just which cultures in the Realms are matriarchal?"

The main ones seem to be the drow and the Rashemar, though (depending on the sources you use), both gnolls and trolls are female-lead as well.
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2008 :  22:48:40  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey all...this got me thinking, so I decided to pitch together something really quickly concerning Ixion...still working on the Military (and a rough draft map); but here is an initial rough draft:

The Isle of Ixion

Proper Name: The Isle of Ixion
Ruler: Her Peerless Majesty, Queen of Ixion, Mistress of the Sea, Lady of the Hunt, and Rightful Queen of Akanax; Queen Elissa Tarixon.
Government: Matriarchal Feudal Monarchy; who’s Queen is a descendant by blood from the original Queen Tarixon, Queen of ancient Akanax.
Capital: The Citadel-City of Tarixon, situated at the center of Ixion.
Major Cities: Tarixon (3,700) and Tazixor (1,300).
Major Provinces: Ixion is divided into seven distinct provinces, each the ancestral home of a family descended from the seven daughters of Tarixon: Adonia (home of Tarixon), Adrasteia, Aella, Alala, Alexa, Alkippe, and Aphrodisia (home of Tazixor).
Resources of Export: Ixion makes no products to be used by outsiders; but is a supply port used by various captains of known trust. Its sole export is the Mercenary Company called the She-Wolves who serve in the immediate areas of Chondath, Turmish and Chessenta.
Items of Import: Ixion imports only one thing: captured slaves brought home by the She-Wolves Mercenary Company, or bought from ship captains, who serve primarily as a means of reproduction; but are also used in labor brigades, instructors or as gladiators. Gladiator champions are often then picked as Royal Consorts; serving as such until their eventual defeat. Metals, something rare upon Ixion, are also "imported" here by the Brood of Xerene.
Coinage: The Queen of Ixion has decreed no national coinage; most trade upon Ixion is handled in barter or by service. Foreign coin is accepted only within the city of Tazixor where it is used as a medium of exchange with select female ship captains.
Population: 18,500 (approximately; 75% female and 25% male; all human).
Languages: Chessentan and Common
Alignments: Primarily Lawful Neutral
Religions: Chauntea, Meilikki, Mystra, Red Knight, Selune, Sune, Tymora, and Umberlee. No male priests or male gods are allowed upon Ixion. Males that have come to Ixion by whatever means that are of an accepted faith are usually accepted as consorts to a priestess until such time as they die of old age…if they survive their initial encounter with the female warriors here.
Allies: None
Enemies: Male Tyrants of any land; specifically Akanax (unknown to Akanax) and the Church of Bane.

Overview: Ixion is nearly an idyllic paradise. Its heavily forested coast serves as a natural defensive network; as well as hiding an interior of well maintained farmland tended by male slaves and the elderly. The forest is called the Keposeruma (or “The Orchard Wall”) by the people of Ixion; its labyrinthine paths feed the inhabitants of Ixion well, but have been the place of death for crewmen from any ship daring to land upon Ixion’s shore.

The interior is rolling countryside where vineyards and farms will be found in plenty. Each of these farms serve not only the needs of those that work them, but the will of the Queen as well. The slaves working here are all male; and while they are well cared for and not truly abused, they have no rights and must do as they are told. Small woodlands dot the interior as well, home to animals to be hunted only by the nobles of this land. Only the women of Ixion are allowed to eat meat here, males subsist upon grains and fruits alone.

Ixion is divided into seven provincial areas, each ruled by a descendant of one of Queen Tarixon’s daughters; and one of those by the Queen. These areas are:
• Adonia: seat of power upon Ixion, Adonia is the central province where the Citadel of Tarixon is located. Here in this city are located the major temples, storehouses, barracks and other structures important to the Queen. Tarixon is also home to the Gladiatorial Arena where men may fight for the right to be the Consort to the Queen or one of the other six noble rulers of Ixion. Men sentenced to death also fight here until such time as they either die or win their right to absolve their death sentence.
• Adrasteia: home of a second temple to Meilikki, Adrasteia is the primary home of Ixion’s ranger elite. The women here are the finest rangers upon the Isle and also quite possibly some of the finest archers from any land. Men who land upon the shores here are mercilessly hunted to death.
• Aella: home to fierce women who shun contact even with their sister Ixionites unless absolutely needed. Aellans are axe wielding barbarian women who could even be called berserkers if it were not for their cold and calculating method of warfare. Few of these women ever join the She-Wolves and leave Ixion.
• Alala: home to proud warriors, the Alalans are the most aggressive warriors of Ixion; where aggression is measured by a desire to leave the Isle and fight outsiders. The very word “Alala” is the war-cry that all Ixionites use when fighting.
• Alexa: home of some of the finest smiths among the Ixionites; Alexans are also primarily responsible for defending the Queen. Alexans fight in heavy plate armors and wield both shortsword and spear with equal skill. They actually fight very similarly to Chessentans; but the Phalanx on Ixion is much more mobile being comprised of smaller units.
• Alkippe: this land is inhabited by Ixionites who are known to be excellent judges of character and wise in their old age. Many women here become priestesses within Tarixon. Alkippeans keep more men here, as constant consorts, than do any other provinces.
• Aphrodisia: home of the only other city upon Ixion, this province holds Tazixor on its shores. Only here may any ship find safe harbor, and then only if that ship is captained by a female who is vouched for by contact with the She-Wolves or by another captain already trusted. Men from these ships are still not allowed to disembark onto land; but may unload cargo on the docks here only. Any man that steps foot upon the ground away from the docks is a slave; and no argument by any captain will change that. The only temple to Umberlee upon Ixion sits here upon the shoreline and its priestesses are glad to take men as sacrifice to her. Aphrodisians are the finest sailors upon Ixion, and keep three strong warships here to defend the harbor and city.

Any ship sailing near this island only usually sees death to be had. If statuesque naked women are seen bathing upon its shores, it is commonly thought to be she-demons tempting the foolish. Reefs all around the island have shipwrecked hulks that can still be seen rotting on the shore…and no sailor has ever met a man to survive and tell such a tale. Even harpies are more welcome upon Ixion it is said, and in fact the high cliffs that seemingly grow from the water here are known lairs of large flocks of these beasts; just another reason to stay as far away from the rocky shores of Ixion.

Those daring to fly above the island are rarely glad they did so, because even if they survive the likely attack by Harpies, they will have to face either the screaming assault of the Queen’s Skyguard (composed of Griffon riding sorceresses) or the Lady Dragon Xerene. Xerene is a powerful ally of the Queen, bound to Ixion in ancient times by Queen Tarixon in an unknown contest. Xerene and her brood live within seashore caves; and few wish to pit their strength against this secretive Great Wyrm Bronze Dragon who sees herself as the god-mother of every inhabitant of Ixion. Xerene is in truth the instructor of magic for the Ixionite sorceresses here as well. The Queens, Xerene and the sorceresses maintain extensive aerial illusions masking the true landscape here, with only the most powerful of wizards and priests having any hope of piercing this shroud. To any knowledge of Ixion to date, the Ixionites live within a jungle land and only have contact with the outside world through Tazixor.

History: In -229 DR (the “Year of the Myrmidon Maid”) a girl named Tarixon was married to the King of Akanax. History tells that she was highly regarded in Chessenta as both a beautiful woman and a powerful warrior in her own right; her father having no sons he had trained her as a warrior. In a fit of jealousy, the King’s own brother murdered him and attempted to take Tarixon as his wife by force to ensure the masses loved him. Knowing the secret of his actions, Tarixon fled Akanax to be hunted by her husband’s brother for many years. It is said that Tarixon eventually evaded her pursuers by becoming a servant of the gods.

What none today know is that Tarixon spent many years as a wandering adventurer who loved no man, and in truth came to despise them all. Eventually, Tarixon amassed a following of disaffected women who she taught the art of combat and war to and they became known so long ago as the She-Wolves within Chessenta and surrounding lands. With this band she found her way back to Akanax and entered the service of her hated brother-in-law who knew her not because of many years and her war-worn appearance. Still beautiful though, Tarixon became once again the object of obsession for the Tyrant of Akanax.

When taken to his bedchamber, Tarixon actually strangled the drunken man to death with her bare hands. She then stole away from Akanax with her soldiers and many daughters fleeing to the shores of Chessenta and ships that awaited them. Once at sea, the small band sailed to the west intending to ply their trade within the area soon to be known as Chondath. Unfortunately the ships ran afoul of a large number of Pirates who viciously attacked.

The battle resulted in only one of Tarixon’s ships surviving, and it being badly damaged with many wounded aboard; but the Lady Myrmidon had ensured that every single enemy vessel had been sent to a watery doom. Having only recently rounded the Straight of Silvanus headed south, the ship was forced aground upon the Isle of Ixion and damaged even to the point of breaking apart. The few men aboard found themselves shipwrecked upon Ixion with a large number of armed and dangerous, but beautiful women; who immediately set the men to work on shelter and food gathering. Such was the beginning of the Isle of Ixion.

Many adventures were to be had by Tarixon and her She-Wolves upon the island; such as the taming of Xerene the Bronze Dragon, putting down rebellion by the sailors from their ship and defeating pirates who had come looking for their comrades. It wasn’t long before pirates stopped visiting the shores of Ixion out of fear of the “savages” found there…and such stories even prevented an emerging Chondath from sending crews to their doom in exploration of the “Isle of Harpies” or “Isle of Succubi” as it has been called.

Now, many hundreds of years later, Ixion has again opened contact with the outside world…what may happen as a result is yet to be seen. What truth there is about Ixion contained here is known only to the Queen, as she holds in her quarters an ancient tome of former Queens which lays all bare concerning the ancient past and beginnings of this land; but any other would think that the Ixionites have always been here. Daughters of the Goddesses, they are a proud and warlike people who are feared by many.

Go to Top of Page

Dalmar Amad
Seeker

Germany
56 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2008 :  11:57:34  Show Profile  Visit Dalmar Amad's Homepage Send Dalmar Amad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi all,

there is a good site on the internet dealing with Ixinos' amazons. Not canon, but very helpful, i believe.

http://www.aeolia.net/ixinos/

Enjoy the read.
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2008 :  16:26:18  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dalmar Amad

Hi all,

there is a good site on the internet dealing with Ixinos' amazons. Not canon, but very helpful, i believe.

http://www.aeolia.net/ixinos/

Enjoy the read.

Well then...that is rather extensive! LOL

Has some good stuff in it too...

Only thing I didn't like is the mention of a Drow on the island.

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2008 :  19:29:12  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Connecting these Amazons to the Matriarchal Drow is a little TOO easy, IMHO.

I like Dalor Darden's Take, but I would of extended the history back a bit further - connecting them to the Greco-Roman Groups, alluded to in some 'god book', IIRC (anyone know that reference? I can't seem to find it ATM, but it referred to several odd groups that emigrated to Toril).

Anyhow, I was thinking that the Imaskari had tried several times to appropriate a good 'slave race', and the Mulan were not the first - merely their first success. I've linked (as have others) the early Chondathans (which I refer to as 'Dathites') to an abortive attempt by the Imaskari to enslave the people of the northern meditteranean, who subsequently either escaped (most likely), or were simply 'released into the wild' due to their very aggressive nature.

If a female 'warrior-culture' (THE Amazons) had also been grabbed by them along with the others, then this group may have tried to keep up their ancient traditons for centuries, living among the Chondathans, but keeping themselves seperate from them (their own villages and what-not). Using Dalor Darden's history, we could simply say that Tarixon's mother was part of this group, or that she encountered them during her wanderings. Either way, we can connect the Ixions to the RW Amazons by adjusting some little canon we have about Greco-Roman cultures in the Realms.

Its a bit of a stretch, but I so want them to be wearing those silly helmets with the brooms sticking out the tops.

Maybe even have the Queen's daughter ride and invisible Hippogriff....

Edited by - Markustay on 20 Oct 2008 22:12:08
Go to Top of Page

Zanan
Senior Scribe

Germany
942 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2008 :  21:33:18  Show Profile  Visit Zanan's Homepage Send Zanan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kamuraki

... you see, there was this movie today where one inspector teased his colleague by saying: "You're old enough to be glad about a beautiful death!" (Their secretary, a female, was training her deadly martial arts at the time and nearly kicked his brains out. )

Gold & Glory, good advice. Haven't read it in ages.

Edit: There's actually a picture of three of those She-of-the-Wolves in the back of the book ... and all look perfectly well. (Dunno, but I seem to remember that modern research has since moved the idea of these aforementioned "amputations" to the land of myths.)

Cave quid dicis, quando et cui!

Gæð a wyrd swa hio scel!

In memory of Alura Durshavin.

Visit my "Homepage" to find A Guide to the Drow NPCs of Faerûn, Drow and non-Drow PrC and much more.

Edited by - Zanan on 19 Oct 2008 21:52:15
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2008 :  23:44:03  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Zanan

quote:

... you see, there was this movie today where one inspector teased his colleague by saying: "You're old enough to be glad about a beautiful death!" (Their secretary, a female, was training her deadly martial arts at the time and nearly kicked his brains out. )

Edit: There's actually a picture of three of those She-of-the-Wolves in the back of the book ... and all look perfectly well. (Dunno, but I seem to remember that modern research has since moved the idea of these aforementioned "amputations" to the land of myths.)

Perhaps...but Russian burial mounds of the Scythians have revealed female warriors buried in full regalia, one of which had an arrow head in her chest cavity that couldn't be taken out before burial.

I think a plains people of some relation to the Scythians may have been "the amazons" myself...but I am far from an expert on the matter.

Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2008 :  23:46:59  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Connecting these Amazons to the Matriarchal Drow is a little TOO easy, IMHO.

I like Dalor Darden's Take, but I would of extended the history back a bit further - connecting them to the Grco-Roman Groups, alluded to in some 'god book', IIRC (anyone know that reference? I can't seem to find it ATM, but it referred to several odd groups that emigrated to Toril).

Anyhow, I was thinking that the Imaskari had tried several times to appropriate a good 'slave race', and the Mulan were not the first - merely their first success. I've linked (as have others) the early Chondathans (which I refer to as 'Dathites') to an abortive attempt by the Imaskari to enslave the people of the northern meditteranean, who subsequently either escaped (most likely), or were simply 'released into the wild' due to their very aggressive nature.

If a female 'warrior-culture' (THE Amazons) had also been grabbed by them along with the others, then this group may have tried to keep up their ancient traditons for centuries, living among the Chondathans, but keeping themselves seperate from them (their own villages and what-not). Using Dalor Darden's history, we could simply say that Tarixon's mother was part of this group, or that she encountered them during her wanderings. Either way, we can connect the Ixions to the RW Amazons by adjusting some little canon we have about Greco-Roman cultures in the Realms.

Its a bit of a stretch, but I so want them to be wearing those silly helmets with the brooms sticking out the tops.

Maybe even have the Queen's daughter ride and invisible Hippogriff....

I'm still planning to expand on this idea...my problem is that I don't really know that much about the Southern Realms in fact. If someone can find me the reference and rough date of a Greco-Roman people that I could use to go a little more in depth, it wouldn't take me more than a day to flesh this out...5k words is easy for me on a day off.

Go to Top of Page

Zanan
Senior Scribe

Germany
942 Posts

Posted - 20 Oct 2008 :  11:01:12  Show Profile  Visit Zanan's Homepage Send Zanan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Zanan

quote:

Perhaps...but Russian burial mounds of the Scythians have revealed female warriors buried in full regalia, one of which had an arrow head in her chest cavity that couldn't be taken out before burial.

I think a plains people of some relation to the Scythians may have been "the amazons" myself...but I am far from an expert on the matter.

No doubt on that. I was just trying to send the breast-removal to the lands of myths, where they apparently belong to.

As for Gold & Glory, people looking for it, try here:

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/dnd/downloads

Cave quid dicis, quando et cui!

Gæð a wyrd swa hio scel!

In memory of Alura Durshavin.

Visit my "Homepage" to find A Guide to the Drow NPCs of Faerûn, Drow and non-Drow PrC and much more.
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 20 Oct 2008 :  20:32:39  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think it had more to do with binding perhaps if I had to make a guess...just like the shaping of skulls, you can actually ensure one breast won't grow (as large) as the other by means of binding starting before puberty.

Just a guess on my part...

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 20 Oct 2008 :  22:20:00  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I'm still planning to expand on this idea...my problem is that I don't really know that much about the Southern Realms in fact. If someone can find me the reference and rough date of a Greco-Roman people that I could use to go a little more in depth, it wouldn't take me more than a day to flesh this out...5k words is easy for me on a day off.
Realms religion isn't my bag - I specialize in geography.

I'm sure someone more knowledgable - like George Krashos or Old Sage - could help out here . The only reason I'm even aware of that piece of lore is because there was some discussion about it awhile back, either here or over at WotC. There is an oddball entry in one of the sourcebooks (I'm pretty sure it's a deity book) that mentions several different groups of people that emigrated from Earth , and although it could possibly be a reference to the Mulan, it sounds more like the Greeks and Romans because of the descriptions of 'City-States', amongst other things. In fact, it gave no definitive cultures, but it seems their were quite a few others besides the Mulan (who were Egyptian, Babylonian, and Sumerian!)

Edited by - Markustay on 20 Oct 2008 22:21:29
Go to Top of Page

Ardashir
Senior Scribe

USA
544 Posts

Posted - 20 Oct 2008 :  23:37:43  Show Profile  Visit Ardashir's Homepage Send Ardashir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Hey all...this got me thinking, so I decided to pitch together something really quickly concerning Ixion...still working on the Military (and a rough draft map); but here is an initial rough draft:

The Isle of Ixion

Proper Name: The Isle of Ixion
Ruler: Her Peerless Majesty, Queen of Ixion, Mistress of the Sea, Lady of the Hunt, and Rightful Queen of Akanax; Queen Elissa Tarixon.
Government: Matriarchal Feudal Monarchy; who’s Queen is a descendant by blood from the original Queen Tarixon, Queen of ancient Akanax.
Capital: The Citadel-City of Tarixon, situated at the center of Ixion.
Major Cities: Tarixon (3,700) and Tazixor (1,300).
Major Provinces: Ixion is divided into seven distinct provinces, each the ancestral home of a family descended from the seven daughters of Tarixon: Adonia (home of Tarixon), Adrasteia, Aella, Alala, Alexa, Alkippe, and Aphrodisia (home of Tazixor).
Resources of Export: Ixion makes no products to be used by outsiders; but is a supply port used by various captains of known trust. Its sole export is the Mercenary Company called the She-Wolves who serve in the immediate areas of Chondath, Turmish and Chessenta.
Items of Import: Ixion imports only one thing: captured slaves brought home by the She-Wolves Mercenary Company, or bought from ship captains, who serve primarily as a means of reproduction; but are also used in labor brigades, instructors or as gladiators. Gladiator champions are often then picked as Royal Consorts; serving as such until their eventual defeat. Metals, something rare upon Ixion, are also "imported" here by the Brood of Xerene.
Coinage: The Queen of Ixion has decreed no national coinage; most trade upon Ixion is handled in barter or by service. Foreign coin is accepted only within the city of Tazixor where it is used as a medium of exchange with select female ship captains.
Population: 18,500 (approximately; 75% female and 25% male; all human).
Languages: Chessentan and Common
Alignments: Primarily Lawful Neutral
Religions: Chauntea, Meilikki, Mystra, Red Knight, Selune, Sune, Tymora, and Umberlee. No male priests or male gods are allowed upon Ixion. Males that have come to Ixion by whatever means that are of an accepted faith are usually accepted as consorts to a priestess until such time as they die of old age…if they survive their initial encounter with the female warriors here.
Allies: None
Enemies: Male Tyrants of any land; specifically Akanax (unknown to Akanax) and the Church of Bane.

Overview: Ixion is nearly an idyllic paradise. Its heavily forested coast serves as a natural defensive network; as well as hiding an interior of well maintained farmland tended by male slaves and the elderly. The forest is called the Keposeruma (or “The Orchard Wall”) by the people of Ixion; its labyrinthine paths feed the inhabitants of Ixion well, but have been the place of death for crewmen from any ship daring to land upon Ixion’s shore.

The interior is rolling countryside where vineyards and farms will be found in plenty. Each of these farms serve not only the needs of those that work them, but the will of the Queen as well. The slaves working here are all male; and while they are well cared for and not truly abused, they have no rights and must do as they are told. Small woodlands dot the interior as well, home to animals to be hunted only by the nobles of this land. Only the women of Ixion are allowed to eat meat here, males subsist upon grains and fruits alone.

Ixion is divided into seven provincial areas, each ruled by a descendant of one of Queen Tarixon’s daughters; and one of those by the Queen. These areas are:
• Adonia: seat of power upon Ixion, Adonia is the central province where the Citadel of Tarixon is located. Here in this city are located the major temples, storehouses, barracks and other structures important to the Queen. Tarixon is also home to the Gladiatorial Arena where men may fight for the right to be the Consort to the Queen or one of the other six noble rulers of Ixion. Men sentenced to death also fight here until such time as they either die or win their right to absolve their death sentence.
• Adrasteia: home of a second temple to Meilikki, Adrasteia is the primary home of Ixion’s ranger elite. The women here are the finest rangers upon the Isle and also quite possibly some of the finest archers from any land. Men who land upon the shores here are mercilessly hunted to death.
• Aella: home to fierce women who shun contact even with their sister Ixionites unless absolutely needed. Aellans are axe wielding barbarian women who could even be called berserkers if it were not for their cold and calculating method of warfare. Few of these women ever join the She-Wolves and leave Ixion.
• Alala: home to proud warriors, the Alalans are the most aggressive warriors of Ixion; where aggression is measured by a desire to leave the Isle and fight outsiders. The very word “Alala” is the war-cry that all Ixionites use when fighting.
• Alexa: home of some of the finest smiths among the Ixionites; Alexans are also primarily responsible for defending the Queen. Alexans fight in heavy plate armors and wield both shortsword and spear with equal skill. They actually fight very similarly to Chessentans; but the Phalanx on Ixion is much more mobile being comprised of smaller units.
• Alkippe: this land is inhabited by Ixionites who are known to be excellent judges of character and wise in their old age. Many women here become priestesses within Tarixon. Alkippeans keep more men here, as constant consorts, than do any other provinces.
• Aphrodisia: home of the only other city upon Ixion, this province holds Tazixor on its shores. Only here may any ship find safe harbor, and then only if that ship is captained by a female who is vouched for by contact with the She-Wolves or by another captain already trusted. Men from these ships are still not allowed to disembark onto land; but may unload cargo on the docks here only. Any man that steps foot upon the ground away from the docks is a slave; and no argument by any captain will change that. The only temple to Umberlee upon Ixion sits here upon the shoreline and its priestesses are glad to take men as sacrifice to her. Aphrodisians are the finest sailors upon Ixion, and keep three strong warships here to defend the harbor and city.

Any ship sailing near this island only usually sees death to be had. If statuesque naked women are seen bathing upon its shores, it is commonly thought to be she-demons tempting the foolish. Reefs all around the island have shipwrecked hulks that can still be seen rotting on the shore…and no sailor has ever met a man to survive and tell such a tale. Even harpies are more welcome upon Ixion it is said, and in fact the high cliffs that seemingly grow from the water here are known lairs of large flocks of these beasts; just another reason to stay as far away from the rocky shores of Ixion.

Those daring to fly above the island are rarely glad they did so, because even if they survive the likely attack by Harpies, they will have to face either the screaming assault of the Queen’s Skyguard (composed of Griffon riding sorceresses) or the Lady Dragon Xerene. Xerene is a powerful ally of the Queen, bound to Ixion in ancient times by Queen Tarixon in an unknown contest. Xerene and her brood live within seashore caves; and few wish to pit their strength against this secretive Great Wyrm Bronze Dragon who sees herself as the god-mother of every inhabitant of Ixion. Xerene is in truth the instructor of magic for the Ixionite sorceresses here as well. The Queens, Xerene and the sorceresses maintain extensive aerial illusions masking the true landscape here, with only the most powerful of wizards and priests having any hope of piercing this shroud. To any knowledge of Ixion to date, the Ixionites live within a jungle land and only have contact with the outside world through Tazixor.

History: In -229 DR (the “Year of the Myrmidon Maid”) a girl named Tarixon was married to the King of Akanax. History tells that she was highly regarded in Chessenta as both a beautiful woman and a powerful warrior in her own right; her father having no sons he had trained her as a warrior. In a fit of jealousy, the King’s own brother murdered him and attempted to take Tarixon as his wife by force to ensure the masses loved him. Knowing the secret of his actions, Tarixon fled Akanax to be hunted by her husband’s brother for many years. It is said that Tarixon eventually evaded her pursuers by becoming a servant of the gods.

What none today know is that Tarixon spent many years as a wandering adventurer who loved no man, and in truth came to despise them all. Eventually, Tarixon amassed a following of disaffected women who she taught the art of combat and war to and they became known so long ago as the She-Wolves within Chessenta and surrounding lands. With this band she found her way back to Akanax and entered the service of her hated brother-in-law who knew her not because of many years and her war-worn appearance. Still beautiful though, Tarixon became once again the object of obsession for the Tyrant of Akanax.

When taken to his bedchamber, Tarixon actually strangled the drunken man to death with her bare hands. She then stole away from Akanax with her soldiers and many daughters fleeing to the shores of Chessenta and ships that awaited them. Once at sea, the small band sailed to the west intending to ply their trade within the area soon to be known as Chondath. Unfortunately the ships ran afoul of a large number of Pirates who viciously attacked.

The battle resulted in only one of Tarixon’s ships surviving, and it being badly damaged with many wounded aboard; but the Lady Myrmidon had ensured that every single enemy vessel had been sent to a watery doom. Having only recently rounded the Straight of Silvanus headed south, the ship was forced aground upon the Isle of Ixion and damaged even to the point of breaking apart. The few men aboard found themselves shipwrecked upon Ixion with a large number of armed and dangerous, but beautiful women; who immediately set the men to work on shelter and food gathering. Such was the beginning of the Isle of Ixion.

Many adventures were to be had by Tarixon and her She-Wolves upon the island; such as the taming of Xerene the Bronze Dragon, putting down rebellion by the sailors from their ship and defeating pirates who had come looking for their comrades. It wasn’t long before pirates stopped visiting the shores of Ixion out of fear of the “savages” found there…and such stories even prevented an emerging Chondath from sending crews to their doom in exploration of the “Isle of Harpies” or “Isle of Succubi” as it has been called.

Now, many hundreds of years later, Ixion has again opened contact with the outside world…what may happen as a result is yet to be seen. What truth there is about Ixion contained here is known only to the Queen, as she holds in her quarters an ancient tome of former Queens which lays all bare concerning the ancient past and beginnings of this land; but any other would think that the Ixionites have always been here. Daughters of the Goddesses, they are a proud and warlike people who are feared by many.

Wow, that's some great work there, Dalor.
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 21 Oct 2008 :  00:40:17  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ardashir

quote:

The Isle of Ixion

<snip>

Wow, that's some great work there, Dalor.

Well, I would like to have more time on this; but I'm in the middle of writer's block on my 1st Ed. AD&D game...for some reason the story isn't coming to me. So, because it is always good to keep writing, I thought it might help to write on something else that came to me...so an hour or so later I had this done.

Still can't get an angle on my other game...

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000