Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 D&D Core Products
 Predictions for 5e...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 12 Oct 2008 :  09:16:57  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I figure it's as good a time as any to start these. If Hasbro keeps the IP, I figure we'll be looking at 5th Edition before they finish releasing products for 4th.

Game Mechanics Predictions: d20 will be dead. In fact, dice of any sort will be obsolete. So will role-playing. There will be no detailed equipment lists. Starting ability scores will be predetermined by your choice of class (or character role if the system goes classless), and characters will be defined by class or role as either "Magic" or "Melee" or "Missile" in combat. The battle grid and miniatures will remain intact. All combat will be resolved using a variation of "Paper, Rock, Scissors" as follows:

- melee beats magic
- magic beats missile
- missile beats melee

This system will be called the "M3" system, due to a trademark on the other term being held by the only company in the world that's bigger than Hasbro (I suspect; I don't have exact information on this, but that's how I see it).

The single rulebook will be $42 in SRP and 42 pages in length (after all, it is the Answer; read The Hitch-Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy if you don't get this reference). If you don't know what your rules question is before you open the rulebook, it doesn't matter; you'll forget your question when you find your answer anyway.

Okay, I'm being hysterically satirical with that last paragraph. The stuff before that, however, is a serious prediction on my part. Well, half-serious, anyway. It wouldn't surprise me at all if they eliminate dice completely, or even just move to a d6-only system. We don't need to roll dice for hit points any more in 4E, so why should we need them for anything else? All opposed die rolls can be handled with Rock-Paper-Scissors, as previously described, and if you're going that far, why not eliminate actions altogether and base your Rock-Paper-Scissors outcome on your character's role in the party? Just a thought... and one I sincerely hope I'm wrong about. I just hope that Wizbro's 5e development team (because you know that there is one already) doesn't get any ideas from this post...

Playing in the Realms since the Old Grey Box (1987)... and *still* having fun with material published before 2008, despite the NDA'd lore.

If it's comparable in power with non-magical abilities, it's not magic.

arry
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
317 Posts

Posted - 12 Oct 2008 :  11:02:23  Show Profile Send arry a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm sure 5e is being developed. In my mind the question is will it ever be released? And that depends on how profitable 4e is for WotC. If 4e doesn't produce the level of return demanded by Hasbro, no 5e!

Mrs. arry has come up with a different idea. 'D&D 5e, the Barbie and Ken edition.' You'll be able to dress up Barbie and Ken to play your D&D fantasies, they'll have chainmail shirts and it will be compatible with 'Barbie's Dragon', 'Barbie's Treasure Chest' and 'Ken's Sword and Artefacts'. Enjoy!
Go to Top of Page

Tyranthraxus
Senior Scribe

Netherlands
423 Posts

Posted - 12 Oct 2008 :  16:37:59  Show Profile  Visit Tyranthraxus's Homepage Send Tyranthraxus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
By the time D&D has become a diceless game with little or no roleplaying elements I'm gonna switch to an other fantasy rpg like DSA (Das Schwarze Auge, or The Black Eye in english).
Go to Top of Page

Arion Elenim
Senior Scribe

933 Posts

Posted - 12 Oct 2008 :  18:37:44  Show Profile  Visit Arion Elenim's Homepage Send Arion Elenim a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Coming soon in 5th ed: No more of that boring personalization of your characters! Now we only offer one awesome class: the meleeartilerymage!

My latest Realms-based short story, about a bard, a paladin of Lathander and the letter of the law, Debts Repaid. It takes place before the "shattering" and gives the bard Arion a last gasp before he plunges into the present.http://candlekeep.com/campaign/logs/log-debts.htm
Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1796 Posts

Posted - 12 Oct 2008 :  19:59:36  Show Profile Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Berserker Barrage!

Optic Blast!

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayuken!

Go to Top of Page

GRYPHON
Senior Scribe

USA
527 Posts

Posted - 13 Oct 2008 :  14:47:54  Show Profile Send GRYPHON a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Interesting theory...
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 13 Oct 2008 :  15:10:08  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I can't help thinking this sounds really familiar... Where have I seen it before?

OH YEAH, that's right! The card games in Final Fantasy. Also FF: Tactics to some point...

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2008 :  07:33:32  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Arion Elenim

Coming soon in 5th ed: No more of that boring personalization of your characters! Now we only offer one awesome class: the meleeartilerymage!

Exactly what both 2E and 3E class creation rules told us not to do... create one class that does everything. I guess they were Nostradamian and didn't want players stealing Wizbro's thunder...

quote:
Originally posted by Ashe Ravenheart

I can't help thinking this sounds really familiar... Where have I seen it before?

OH YEAH, that's right! The card games in Final Fantasy. Also FF: Tactics to some point...

I'm not familiar with FF apart from the brand name. I saw the name and thought, "yeah, right; that's begging for a bajillion sequels." And I was right... well, not quite a bajillion, but they're working on it...

Personally, I don't care what 5E looks like if Wizbro's still in charge of it. 3E saved the game, imho, and 4E has the potential to completely destroy it. I'll wait and see what happens, sneaking a peek at future 4E supplements as they're released, largely out of morbid curiosity. I hope that something will happen to pleasantly surprise me, but I'm not going to make any serious predictions. If you hope for the best and expect the worst, all of your surprises will be pleasant ones. I hate unpleasant surprises. Mind you, I was expecting what I thought was the worst prior to the release of the 4E FRCG... and Wizbro surpassed all of my expectations, apart from the continued survival of the Simbul and Elminster.

Playing in the Realms since the Old Grey Box (1987)... and *still* having fun with material published before 2008, despite the NDA'd lore.

If it's comparable in power with non-magical abilities, it's not magic.

Edited by - Jakk on 14 Oct 2008 07:38:13
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2008 :  11:49:31  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Whoa slow down.....they still need to release 4.5E first (they already came out with 4.0.1E right?)

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2008 :  14:57:36  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alisttair

Whoa slow down.....they still need to release 4.5E first (they already came out with 4.0.1E right?)

4.5 is scheduled to come out in a couple of weeks, I think.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2008 :  14:59:49  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Biggest improvement? Moving WotC out of Seattle/Renton. Since they've been so close to MicroSoft, they've been real keen on these 'Editions' and 'Patches'. It's not software, it's books! Jeez...

(Just a curious little rant from a Web Developer that's sick of the fact that as soon as he gets used to coding for IE7 they announce the beta for IE8)

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2008 :  15:46:49  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ashe Ravenheart
(Just a curious little rant from a Web Developer that's sick of the fact that as soon as he gets used to coding for IE7 they announce the beta for IE8)

Yup, I got used to playing 3.0 then 3.5 came along and I had to adjust some things...then the Rules Compendium came out and made everything easier....until my friends switched to 4.0, which makes that knowledge irrelevant (except for some basics that are naturally carried over)....I didn't even look at what 4.0.1 changed, and I am NOT buying the NEW 4E books to upgrade my CURRENT 4E books (unless WoTC wants to send me the new ones along with a box to send out my old ones since they are effectively defects, akin to what I had to do with my drum set for Rock Band)

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

danbuter
Seeker

USA
74 Posts

Posted - 21 Oct 2008 :  02:34:08  Show Profile  Visit danbuter's Homepage Send danbuter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I suspect it will be even more miniatures based, and just be a tightening up of 4e. Maybe it'll be a cross between d20 and Savage Worlds. Either that, or they do a 180 and make it much more roleplaying centered and less miniatures dependent.

Nothing beats the gray box!
Dan
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 23 Oct 2008 :  01:51:32  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Something with even less flavor then 4e, like a completely classless system.

Which I think could be great, if done right, but thats a big 'if' considering how badly they mangled 4e (I was really looking forward to it, when I heard about the directions they were going in, but then they went too far with too many things).

It will probably still be D20 - its a good system, at it's heart, with everything revolving ariound a single mechanic. Just one more reason 3e was one of the most innovative systems ever designed.

I'm still hoping for something where you level by race, instead of class, which is more realistic to me - Class is like a job, and you should be able to hand-tailor it at each level, depending on what you want to learn. Race is something that is set in stone, and you should have a set progression through every level.

Just my opinion, and it was what I was hoping for with 4e, but then they dropped the whole 'leveling by race' concept early on (it was one of those 'innovations' that was announced at last year's Gencon that never saw fruition).

They may go diceless, but only if they decide to bring cards into it instead - there has to be some level of randomness, after all - It's not like D&D is Chess.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 23 Oct 2008 01:53:21
Go to Top of Page

Pandora
Learned Scribe

Germany
305 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2008 :  12:56:07  Show Profile  Visit Pandora's Homepage Send Pandora a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay
They may go diceless, but only if they decide to bring cards into it instead - there has to be some level of randomness, after all - It's not like D&D is Chess.

Obviously ... WotC made millions with Magic:The Gathering. That might work again with adapting D&D to it and making it even less stylish and more tacticish.

If you cant say what youre meaning,
you can never mean what youre saying.

- Centauri Minister of Intelligence, Babylon 5
Go to Top of Page

rabindranath72
Acolyte

United Kingdom
18 Posts

Posted - 30 Oct 2008 :  13:25:23  Show Profile  Visit rabindranath72's Homepage Send rabindranath72 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Greetings all,
new to the forum, and to the Forgotten Realms!
Just wanted to say hello, and post some thoughts.
I have seen there is a new 4e D&D, I also bought the books out of curiosity but I did not overly like them.
I did not like 3.5 either (less than 4e), since it was too codified for my tastes.
So...I returned to (only the core three books) D&D 3.0 (which I feel is the last D&D version which still has some of the spirit of old) and recently bought the core Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting for 3e to give it a try. Excellent book, and I like the setting! With the scarce playing time I have these days, this book will last a lifetime :)

Cheers,
Antonio

Failure is an option
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 30 Oct 2008 :  14:54:08  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Welcome!

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Patrakis
Learned Scribe

Canada
256 Posts

Posted - 30 Oct 2008 :  16:02:30  Show Profile Send Patrakis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi and welcome to the keep.

Another bonus to your decision to adopt 3e ... you'll save a bundle because many local gaming shop are offering great discount on older edition of the books.

Have fun with the realms...

Pat

quote:
Originally posted by rabindranath72

Greetings all,
new to the forum, and to the Forgotten Realms!
Just wanted to say hello, and post some thoughts.
I have seen there is a new 4e D&D, I also bought the books out of curiosity but I did not overly like them.
I did not like 3.5 either (less than 4e), since it was too codified for my tastes.
So...I returned to (only the core three books) D&D 3.0 (which I feel is the last D&D version which still has some of the spirit of old) and recently bought the core Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting for 3e to give it a try. Excellent book, and I like the setting! With the scarce playing time I have these days, this book will last a lifetime :)

Cheers,
Antonio

Dancing is like standing still, but faster.
My site: http://www.patoumonde.com
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000