Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Oh dear Bookcase, may I store my computer in you??
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 22 Sep 2008 :  13:55:14  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
So unless I am too tired and have missed it, I didn't notice a thread on this subject but saw it mentioned in some other threads (being noted that it needed its own thread).

WotC is moving D&D products more and more into the digital world. Word is that NO Forgotten Realms products other than the three this year will be published, and so any new lore will be for Dragon (and Dungeon) online. No more books to put on your bookshelf...

So how does everyone feel about this? Personally, I love the smell of a brand new book as I open its pages for the first time, soaking in all the lore it has to offer. My bookshelves look great as I look at them with all the books lined up and sorted according to region.

Now I am not opposed to extra lore that I have to get on the computer, but if this becomes the ONLY new FR lore, well, my bookcase will become very sad indeed (its like a Dragon's hoard - always needing more to be added to it).

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 22 Sep 2008 :  14:14:39  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alisttair

WotC is moving D&D products more and more into the digital world. Word is that NO Forgotten Realms products other than the three this year will be published, and so any new lore will be for Dragon (and Dungeon) online. No more books to put on your bookshelf...

Well, no more books are planned at this time. Never say never--WotC hasn't promised that they'd never make more books.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 22 Sep 2008 :  14:33:39  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

quote:
Originally posted by Alisttair

Well, no more books are planned at this time. Never say never--WotC hasn't promised that they'd never make more books.

Let us all pray together to whatever god we worship (except Mystra since she's dead ) that FR Sourcebooks WILL be in the works!

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

Ayunken-vanzan
Senior Scribe

Germany
657 Posts

Posted - 22 Sep 2008 :  14:34:24  Show Profile  Visit Ayunken-vanzan's Homepage Send Ayunken-vanzan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As a librarian, I prefer books over files on a computer. You need something to hold into your hands and to leave through. As nice a fully searchable document is (especially when there are no indexes in the printed version ...), I prefer reading a book over reading on a monitor.

"What mattered our lives now? When our world had been torn from us? Folk wept, or drank, or stood staring out over the land, wondering what new horror each dawn would bring."
Elender Stormfall of Suzail

"Anyone can kill deities, cause plagues, or destroy organizations. It takes real skill to make them live on."
Varl

FR/D&D-Links 2ed Downloads
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 22 Sep 2008 :  17:02:56  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
BOOKS are the Meat & Potatoes of RPGs - without them, the game loses that 'collectible' factor that has always been part of the genre. An RPG that moves away from that paradigm is doomed to failure with the fans.

It may find it's own, new niche, but it doesn't fit the mold of what RPGers have been doing and playing with for the last thirty years.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 22 Sep 2008 :  17:41:29  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Books = Rpg

Computer = Mmorpg(or what ever that acronym may be at the moment!)

But, yes a bookshelf makes a nice place to store your laptop whilst reading a good book!

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000