Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 A Lurker's Longwinded Take on the “New” Realms
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Thumper
Acolyte

2 Posts

Posted - 18 Sep 2008 :  19:58:28  Show Profile  Visit Thumper's Homepage Send Thumper a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Well met, all. I've been a (reasonably) silent visitor to Candlekeep for quite some time. Having just recently finished investigating the Spellplague (not only what it was, but the opinions on it and the reasons behind it), I feel the need to voice my thoughts on the fate of my (or if I may be so bold - our) beloved Realms.

A quick history, to give you a bit of perspective on where I'm coming from.

I have never, ever played a game of D&D (Forgotten Realms, or otherwise). Not once. I've played some of the computer games (Icewind Dale, Balder's Gate, looking for Neverwinter Nights atm), skimmed over some of the handbooks, downloaded maps of Faerun, but never actually created a character and played a pen-and-paper game.

Having said that, I've “lived” in the Realms since 1990, my senior year of high school. And oddly enough, I owe it all to my mother. :) A new school policy required all students to read a book in homeroom for the first 10-15 minutes of each day. At that time, about the only thing I read were comic books. My mom offered to pick up a couple books for me the next time she went into town. I simply asked for something fantasy.

She brought home the Moonshae trilogy box set along with The Crystal Shard and The Halfling's Gem.

Needless to say, I was hooked. I read more novels (all Forgotten Realms) that school year than I had the previous 5 years put together. I rediscovered a love of reading I'd lost since elementary school.

And I've kept reading. I've done my best to read every FR novel there is. While the addition of a wife and two kids to my life has slowed me down considerably (I'm a little over a year behind the current releases), I'm still gobbling them up. Thus far, I've only gotten rid of one book voluntarily (Council of Blades. No thank you.). Everything else is still tucked away in my library. Several of them have been read more than once. I do buy a couple other series of novels, but usually only when I've had my fill of the Realms (after reading, say, a dozen or so novels). It has been my favorite place to relax and escape reality for the last eighteenish years.

I'm a veritable novice in Realmslore compared to most that reside here, but suffice to say, I feel I have a vested interest in the future of the Forgotten Realms, as a reader

Enter the Spellplague.

My first knee-jerk reaction was shock and dismay. Similar to many of the opinions I've seen posted on this and other forums, I felt like “my” Realms were gone. Not only had the landscape changed dramatically, but magic itself. The worst part, by far, was the time jump. Stories were now taking place 100 years later. Most, if not all, of my favorite characters are gone, never to return. I felt a profound sense of loss.

I had to know more. There had to be more to it. Why were they doing this? I started hunting for any comments and articles that had something to do with the Spellplague. And of course, the main reason was the 4th edition rules. I was not impressed.

Then I found more reasons. Some of which made a great deal of sense to me, and have made me look at the “old” Realms in an entirely new light.

I've seen the following (paraphrased) designer comments (don't ask me where, I doubt I could find them again):

“The landscape of the Realms has become too mundane. We wanted to give it more of a fantastic feel.”

After thinking about it, I agree with this for the most part. If one were to travel across the surface of Faerun, it would look very much like travelling across North America (minus the technology). Forests, grasslands, swamps, mountain ranges, lakes, oceans. There is very little to separate our world from theirs in terms of ecosystems and terrain. The new Realms have motes that float across the sky. Warped lands that resemble nothing here on Earth. The motes alone would certainly make for a more interesting view of the landscape to my mind.

“We wanted magic to be more accessible to characters.”

And it is. There are now a wide variety of ways to access magic. It is no longer the (almost) exclusive domain of wizards and clerics. I find the new swordmages intriguing to say the least (can't wait to read to book!). I never liked the “either or” mentality when it came to physical or magical abilities.

In my opinion, the new Realms has even more of a fantasy feel than the old. I like it.

The loss of characters and locations was (and still is) a bit harder to handle. Many of the locations I'd become familiar with, and hoped to see again someday (Maztica being the prime example) are gone. The characters living there are gone. Well, likely gone. No more adventures with Matteo in Halruaa. Other than immortal or long-lived characters, no one will be making an appearance in any future novel. To lose some over the course of subsequent stories was expected, but to lose all of them at once...hurt.

Then I thought about it for a while. I've been waiting for a long, long time for more about Alias and Dragonbait, or Artus Cimber, or Arilyn and Danilo (Reclamation canceled? Noooo!), and a host of others. What were the odds any of it would ever happen? And in that time, how many other new characters, completely unrelated to established ones, have we met? And enjoyed?
That trend will undoubtedly continue. I'm sure of it. The current crop of writers have been telling some wonderful stories. I can't wait to read their new ones.

The landscapes fall into the same category. What new stories will come from the landmass from Abeir that has replaced Maztica? Will Maztica really be missed? Has there been any new material created for it since the novels and campaign setting came out? Were we likely to get any? I've seen reference to items imported from Maztica, but nothing else since the trilogy.

Now, I realize that these kinds of sweeping changes affect those who do play the game much, much more than myself. And I feel for you. I understand that these changes are not welcomed by most of you, and you have every right to feel that way.

I, however, have decided to not only accept these changes, but embrace them as reader and fan of the Forgotten Realms. I've read the sample chapters for Swordmage and Mistshore. Based on that, I look forward to what's coming. The Dalelands, Cormyr, Waterdeep, Icewind Dale – all surviving. Drizzt survived. Elminster survived. There will certainly be some others who reappear. “Our” Realms may look different, may even feel somewhat different, but I don't think it will be any less interesting...or exciting. New characters and lands mixed with the old, with new adventures to be had.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm going to return lurking in the shadows. I have to finish off the Sembia series, then I'm going to launch into the Twilight War. After that...maybe I'll skip ahead and read the Waterdeep books coming out now. :)

Christopher_Rowe
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
879 Posts

Posted - 18 Sep 2008 :  20:44:08  Show Profile  Visit Christopher_Rowe's Homepage Send Christopher_Rowe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Great post, and welcome!

I hope your mom got you a copy of Streams of Silver somewhere in there!

My Realms novel, Sandstorm, is now available for ordering.
Go to Top of Page

Uzzy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
618 Posts

Posted - 18 Sep 2008 :  21:53:38  Show Profile  Visit Uzzy's Homepage Send Uzzy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Someone's worked on their first post.

quote:
After thinking about it, I agree with this for the most part. If one were to travel across the surface of Faerun, it would look very much like travelling across North America (minus the technology). Forests, grasslands, swamps, mountain ranges, lakes, oceans. There is very little to separate our world from theirs in terms of ecosystems and terrain. The new Realms have motes that float across the sky. Warped lands that resemble nothing here on Earth. The motes alone would certainly make for a more interesting view of the landscape to my mind.

Regardless of whether or not floating motes and warped lands are more interesting (they aren't, in my view), it's quite a change to the Realms, which did have, for the most part, logical and geologically accurate terrain. I quite liked that myself.

As for the interesting part, I simply have to point to things that exist on Earth like Mount Kilimanjaro, the Himalayas, Ayres Rock, The Great Barrier Reef and the Grand Canyon. That's barely scratching the surface of the utterly amazing and wondrous landscapes available in this mundane ecosystem. You hardly need to add absurd floating motes and warped lands, therefore ripping off Eberron, to have interesting land in the Realms.

quote:
And it is. There are now a wide variety of ways to access magic. It is no longer the (almost) exclusive domain of wizards and clerics. I find the new swordmages intriguing to say the least (can't wait to read to book!). I never liked the “either or” mentality when it came to physical or magical abilities.

Oddly enough, previous versions of the Realms had masses of different ways of doing magic, everything from Spellfire to Table Magic. Swordmages can easily be replicated by the likes of Bladesingers.

quote:
Then I thought about it for a while. I've been waiting for a long, long time for more about Alias and Dragonbait, or Artus Cimber, or Arilyn and Danilo (Reclamation canceled? Noooo!), and a host of others. What were the odds any of it would ever happen? And in that time, how many other new characters, completely unrelated to established ones, have we met? And enjoyed?

The cancellation of Reclamation would have me ignoring utterly anything printed by WoTC for the Realms ever again, even if this whole Spellplague nonsense hadn't been done. Further, we might have had more stories about small scale and interesting characters if WoTC hadn't spend the last 8 years releasing RSE novel series after RSE novel series.

quote:
The landscapes fall into the same category. What new stories will come from the landmass from Abeir that has replaced Maztica? Will Maztica really be missed? Has there been any new material created for it since the novels and campaign setting came out? Were we likely to get any? I've seen reference to items imported from Maztica, but nothing else since the trilogy.

Of course, they could have just spend time working on Maztica, better incorporating it into the Realms, writing things for it.

quote:
“Our” Realms may look different, may even feel somewhat different, but I don't think it will be any less interesting...or exciting. New characters and lands mixed with the old, with new adventures to be had.

Plenty of adventures still to be had in the Realms. That is, the actual Realms. And yes, I think it is less interesting, having been turned from a setting that's been worked on and cared for by some great people, of whom Ed Greenwood is only the first into a setting that is a monument to Bruce Cordell's hubris. Real shame.

That said, I hope you enjoy gaming in the 4E Shattered Realms.
Go to Top of Page

Christopher_Rowe
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
879 Posts

Posted - 18 Sep 2008 :  21:59:28  Show Profile  Visit Christopher_Rowe's Homepage Send Christopher_Rowe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No, seriously, welcome Thumper! You're gonna get some of that, but roll with it, okay?

Go to Top of Page

Rafe Hasbrouck
Acolyte

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 18 Sep 2008 :  22:17:34  Show Profile  Visit Rafe Hasbrouck's Homepage Send Rafe Hasbrouck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey Thumper, welcome to Candlekeep! I'm usually a silent visitor like yourself, but I enjoyed reading your post and figured I'd pop out to say hello and welcome!
Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1796 Posts

Posted - 18 Sep 2008 :  22:29:39  Show Profile Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So true Uzzy! so true!

But yeah... welcome Thumper! welcome! yeah, really!
Go to Top of Page

FunkeeC
Acolyte

2 Posts

Posted - 18 Sep 2008 :  23:14:14  Show Profile  Visit FunkeeC's Homepage Send FunkeeC a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just wanted to chime in as the OP basically summed up what I have been thinking over the last several months as I read up on the changes. I wonder if this is because I also get my realms fix via books rather than gaming.
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 18 Sep 2008 :  23:25:43  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Thumper
After thinking about it, I agree with this for the most part. If one were to travel across the surface of Faerun, it would look very much like travelling across North America (minus the technology). Forests, grasslands, swamps, mountain ranges, lakes, oceans.

Personally, I find all of the terrains and ecosystems you mentioned (though you forgot deserts, and tundra, and the polar regions) to be absolutely fascinating in themselves. I would love to see as much of North America as possible (among other places!), and if the landscape of Faerun resembles it, I think that's wonderful!

I do not think motes and "warped areas" are more fascinating in and of themselves, and I do not think they improve Faerun for being there in abundance, either (note that floating structures did exist in the Realms before 4E).

quote:

Actually...magic hasn't been the exclusive domain of wizards and clerics for a long time, now. Not trying to argue with you, but I don't understand where you got this idea from that there was previously an "either or" mentality. Swordmages might be great (I haven't looked into them that much yet to be honest), and they might be a new base class, but that doesn't mean that one couldn't have made a similar character using the previous editions. From what I understand, the swordmage is more or less just a specialized type of fighter/mage, and multiclassing has been around for decades. *shrug* So what's new here?

I understand and respect that you've never actually played D&D before. However, if you are going to formulate opinions/arguments based on the game rules (and what you think the new rules have that the old ones didn't have), shouldn't you at least be more informed about them first?

quote:
In my opinion, the new Realms has even more of a fantasy feel than the old. I like it.

Well, good for you. Welcome to the forum (you don't have to keep lurking). I agree that I hope you didn't wind up skipping out on Streams of Silver...

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)

Edited by - Rinonalyrna Fathomlin on 18 Sep 2008 23:28:45
Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 19 Sep 2008 :  00:12:40  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As a (primarily) are reader of the novels, I just don't get why after your initial outrage you are now just rolling over and saying "that's okay." The very fact that various authors had argued against these changes (as a few have mentioned here and a couple of other places on the 'net) and WotC went ahead with them anyways (as if the position of even Ed Greenwood, the creator of the Realms, meant nothing to them, which I have come to believe) says to me that they are doing this to put their thumbprint on the Realms and not for the betterment of the Realms. The only reason I am conceiving even purchasing some of the novels is to help support various authors I love and not because I hold any allegiance to WotC. Hell, WotC owes the Realms for the vast amount of money that I spent on 3.x D&D products (for both core and Realms). If they do not have enough respect for us (Realms customers) or the writers to treat the setting with respect, then I feel in no way beholden to treat them with respect.

I am, however, happy that you are happy with the Realms as they have become. And if you do like them, then keep on liking them. Just make sure that you really like them, and that you are not just rolling over and taking it.

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)

Edited by - Hawkins on 19 Sep 2008 00:13:35
Go to Top of Page

Christopher_Rowe
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
879 Posts

Posted - 19 Sep 2008 :  00:21:27  Show Profile  Visit Christopher_Rowe's Homepage Send Christopher_Rowe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Alrighty then!

Uzzy, PDK, and Hawkins have all checked in. We still need to hear from Markustay on this, and I'm not sure what time it is in Germany, but surely Pandora will have his/her say, and that'll be most of the welcoming committee.

"Friendly chatter about all editions of the Realms!" Welcome newcomers!

Go to Top of Page

Uzzy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
618 Posts

Posted - 19 Sep 2008 :  00:43:01  Show Profile  Visit Uzzy's Homepage Send Uzzy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think I'll leave the Mods to deal with that one.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 19 Sep 2008 :  01:10:56  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Okay folks, I really don't think we need to bombard new scribes with our own heavy opinions on 4e FR. Let's give them time to settle and get a feel for Candlekeep and what it's about. Thumper's obviously keen on exploring what the post-Spellplague Realms has to offer and discussing it here at Candlekeep. And I'd like to keep it that way.

Having said that, I think two or three of the scribes in this particular discussion need to take a moment to re-evaluate their comments in this scroll, and anything further that they wish to say that pertains to this topic.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Sanishiver
Senior Scribe

USA
476 Posts

Posted - 19 Sep 2008 :  03:28:45  Show Profile  Visit Sanishiver's Homepage Send Sanishiver a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well met and welcome, Thumper. 'Tis refreshing to read your POV on things. Well said, all of it.

And pay no mind to the heavy-handed opinions. Particularly when they talk at you instead of to you.

I hadn't quite realized we're due for more new characters in the Realms, but I'm glad you opened my eyes to that fact. Reason enough to look at the new novels coming down the line, I think, as a means to help introduce us to more of the setting as it exists now.

I too like the idea of Earthmotes and similar features. The Realms did already have some fantastic features like this, but a direct ‘infusion’ of more fantastic terrain makes the Realms more fantasy-like (in my opinion) and more fun to game in. I’ve already got some ideas for earthmotes that have descended from the skies over the Stonelands and all the interesting things that are on them....

Axe high, I go.

-S.

09/20/2008: Tiger Army at the Catalyst in Santa Cruz. You wouldn’t believe how many females rode it out in the pit. Santa Cruz women are all of them beautiful. Now I know to add tough to that description.
6/27/2008: WALL-E is about the best damn movie Pixar has ever made. It had my heart racing and had me rooting for the good guy.
9/9/2006: Dave Mathews Band was off the hook at the Shoreline Amphitheater.

Never, ever read the game books too literally, or make such assumptions that what is omitted cannot be. Bad DM form, that.

And no matter how compelling a picture string theory paints, if it does not accurately describe our universe, it will be no more relevant than an elaborate game of Dungeons and Dragons. --paragraph 1, chapter 9, The Elegant Universe by Brian Greene
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 19 Sep 2008 :  06:01:58  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think the new Forgotten Realms is an awesome setting...if it were a new setting.

I guess I got tired of World Shattering things that happened to Krynn and felt that the FR were my "stable" place of fantasy. Even the Time of Troubles didn't shake me up too much...but it just kept getting bigger and bigger...

Like I said though, the "New" Realms is actually a nice campaign world to start in if you don't want to have to worry about all the deep history of the Realms...it really did achieve their goal of having a "common" starting point it would seem.

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 19 Sep 2008 :  14:13:54  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by capnvan

quote:
Originally posted by Uzzy
The cancellation of Reclamation would have me ignoring utterly anything printed by WoTC for the Realms ever again, even if this whole Spellplague nonsense hadn't been done.

Off-topic, but again, WOTC did not "cancel" Reclamation. Ms. Cunningham couldn't finish the book.

One of her quotes:
"WotC would have published this novel if I'd given them a novel to publish. This is a clear-cut case of the publisher NOT being at fault."

To avoid any further confusion... a more complete explanation is available here:- http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=10898

Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 19 Sep 2008 :  16:11:20  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Welcome freind! And I am glad you have reconciled with the New Realms! If you have not noticed, their is much debate to be heard about it in several scrolls scattered about these halls!

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 19 Sep 2008 :  16:39:09  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thumper, I apologize for disrupting your scroll, and I am actually very glad that you have joined us here at the 'Keep. Tis a fun place to caper about full of great people, even though tempers (more than occasionally) get out control when regarding the 4e Realms. Thank you for your thoughts and opinions.
quote:
Originally posted by Christopher_Rowe

Alrighty then!

Uzzy, PDK, and Hawkins have all checked in. We still need to hear from Markustay on this, and I'm not sure what time it is in Germany, but surely Pandora will have his/her say, and that'll be most of the welcoming committee.

"Friendly chatter about all editions of the Realms!" Welcome newcomers!
Lol. It's nice to know someone is keeping the roll call! I will attempt (I am not sure how well I will do at this) to only lurk and give welcoming comments on scrolls by new scribes in favor of the 4e Realms from now on. I still appreciate your and Skeptic's level headed defense of the 4e Realms, rather than outright attacking us "grognards" for clinging desperately to our older Realms.

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)
Go to Top of Page

Uzzy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
618 Posts

Posted - 19 Sep 2008 :  16:42:18  Show Profile  Visit Uzzy's Homepage Send Uzzy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by capnvan

quote:
The cancellation of Reclamation would have me ignoring utterly anything printed by WoTC for the Realms ever again, even if this whole Spellplague nonsense hadn't been done.

Off-topic, but again, WOTC did not "cancel" Reclamation. Ms. Cunningham couldn't finish the book.

One of her quotes:
"WotC would have published this novel if I'd given them a novel to publish. This is a clear-cut case of the publisher NOT being at fault."

Off-topic, but again, WoTC should have given Elaine enough time to complete the book. Art shouldn't ever be rushed. Them doing otherwise makes me very sad.

Oh, and further off-topic, but why is it that we have to re-evaluate our comments, while Rowe doesn't get any warning for insulting many of us? Though I do like my Welcoming Committee Badge. *polishes*

Now, back on topic, here's my re-evaluated comments.

The 4th Edition Shattered Realms has nothing to do with the Forgotten Realms of any edition, which died a death at the end of 3.5 Edition. I look forward to chat about the Realms returning, and will happily take part in that. Further, the sooner Candlekeep accepts as an entity that the 4th Edition Shattered Realms has nothing to do with the Forgotten Realms of any edition, the sooner normalcy can return to the keep. Something I kinda miss.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 19 Sep 2008 :  17:04:20  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Oh, and further off-topic, but why is it that we have to re-evaluate our comments, while Rowe doesn't get any warning for insulting many of us? Though I do like my Welcoming Committee Badge. *polishes*
Actually, my initial warning was toward many of the earlier participating scribes in this scroll, including Christopher. There's really no need for such comments that name scribes directly in this manner. If scribes have certain concerns about comments made by other scribes, a simple PM to a Mod is enough. We will take it from there.

Now, that's enough of this. Back to the topic at hand.

Go to Top of Page

Uzzy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
618 Posts

Posted - 19 Sep 2008 :  17:18:57  Show Profile  Visit Uzzy's Homepage Send Uzzy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

Actually, my initial warning was toward many of the earlier participating scribes in this scroll, including Christopher. There's really no need for such comments that name scribes directly in this manner. If scribes have certain concerns about comments made by other scribes, a simple PM to a Mod is enough. We will take it from there.

Now, that's enough of this. Back to the topic at hand.

I take back my comment then. But still, if you wanted to crown PDK, Hawkins, Markus, Pandora and myself members of the official welcoming committee, I wouldn't object!
Go to Top of Page

Nilus Reynard
Learned Scribe

Canada
137 Posts

Posted - 19 Sep 2008 :  21:03:31  Show Profile Send Nilus Reynard a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
[i]Originally posted by Dalor Darden
I guess I got tired of World Shattering things that happened to Krynn and felt that the FR were my "stable" place of fantasy. Even the Time of Troubles didn't shake me up too much...but it just kept getting bigger and bigger...

Same with me, the whole 5th Age thing that was introduced was the main reason I lost interest in Krynn. Now with all this happening to the Realms, I am not quite sure what to do. I may pick up a few novels & see if I can stomach the new format. If not, then I will move onto to something else.

Nilus Reynard
Doom Master of Beshaba, Hand of Despair.
P24 Hm CN
(2nd Edition AD&D)
Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1796 Posts

Posted - 19 Sep 2008 :  22:33:29  Show Profile Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I take back my comment then. But still, if you wanted to crown PDK, Hawkins, Markus, Pandora and myself members of the official welcoming committee, I wouldn't object!

LOL!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 20 Sep 2008 :  01:35:57  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Purple Dragon Knight

quote:

LOL!

You'd all probably want a fancy name for yourselves as well, right?

Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 20 Sep 2008 :  06:50:43  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
@Thumper - I'm glad you enjoy the new realms, and I really mean that. Its my sincerest wish that the Realms continues chugging along for years to come, and only with an infusion of new fans will this happen.

quote:
Originally posted by Christopher_Rowe

Alrighty then!

Uzzy, PDK, and Hawkins have all checked in. We still need to hear from Markustay on this, <snip>

For your information, I read this thread before you even posted in it, and chose not to comment.

I don't enjoy being singled out.

My sig at WotC says "Play whatever makes you happy", and I mean that.

I never stop people from playing something they enjoy... but I will also offer my opinion whenever something specific I don't like is brought up. A far as the general "4e bashing" threads go, I don't bother anymore.

So I guess you baited me into posting in a thread I was avoiding, thus proving you right.

Bravo.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 20 Sep 2008 06:54:36
Go to Top of Page

Thumper
Acolyte

2 Posts

Posted - 20 Sep 2008 :  07:48:22  Show Profile  Visit Thumper's Homepage Send Thumper a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you all for the warm welcomes. I've always enjoyed poking my nose into the forum here at Candlekeep. More often than not, I learn something new about the Realms by stopping in.

I certainly didn't expect this many replies. To be honest, this was a theraputic way of organizing and expressing my thoughts and feelings on the Spellplague and related items.

*sigh*

I just spent the better part of an hour typing up responses to a few of the posts...and then managed to delete everything.

Do not attempt to post when tired. You will inevitibly push the wrong button. Or close the wrong browser tab.

*sobs*

I'll maybe try again tomorrow

Go to Top of Page

StarBog
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
152 Posts

Posted - 20 Sep 2008 :  22:45:42  Show Profile  Visit StarBog's Homepage Send StarBog a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Welcome aboard, Thumper.

The whole 3e/4e Realms thing is a bit of an ecumenical matter, but don't let that stop you chipping in with whatever Realms-Fu you enjoy!

Go to Top of Page

Sanishiver
Senior Scribe

USA
476 Posts

Posted - 22 Sep 2008 :  07:25:41  Show Profile  Visit Sanishiver's Homepage Send Sanishiver a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Thumper

I just spent the better part of an hour typing up responses to a few of the posts...and then managed to delete everything.
I keep a word file I call "spellcheck" on my desktop, that I use for composing anything beyond a quick forum response.

I made it after having done just what you said to avoid.

09/20/2008: Tiger Army at the Catalyst in Santa Cruz. You wouldn’t believe how many females rode it out in the pit. Santa Cruz women are all of them beautiful. Now I know to add tough to that description.
6/27/2008: WALL-E is about the best damn movie Pixar has ever made. It had my heart racing and had me rooting for the good guy.
9/9/2006: Dave Mathews Band was off the hook at the Shoreline Amphitheater.

Never, ever read the game books too literally, or make such assumptions that what is omitted cannot be. Bad DM form, that.

And no matter how compelling a picture string theory paints, if it does not accurately describe our universe, it will be no more relevant than an elaborate game of Dungeons and Dragons. --paragraph 1, chapter 9, The Elegant Universe by Brian Greene
Go to Top of Page

Nerfed2Hell
Senior Scribe

USA
387 Posts

Posted - 22 Sep 2008 :  13:08:27  Show Profile  Visit Nerfed2Hell's Homepage Send Nerfed2Hell a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My take on the new Realms can be summed up quite nicely in the words of Calvin & Hobbes cartoonist:

“It's not denial. I'm just selective about the reality I accept.”
--Bill Watterson

The "old" Realms are so huge and under developed, that I can continue to have great adventures in them until WotC, Hasbro, or whoever else is associated with the game decides to release D&D 5e (and maybe further, too). The information available is so vast, I'm still tapping 1e resources and haven't gotten bored with the world yet. Its a world... its huge! Did everyone who's ready for 4e Realms explore everything already? Or are they just ready move into the unknown because there's so much published info available? Because, personally, that's what I like about it. If the Realms feels mundane to some, I would attribute this to having so much information published about it... anything that becomes overly explored will eventually lose some of its shine and sparkle. But to that, I have two things to say. First, its bound to happen again as WotC inevitably fills out the new setting to appease customers that want more and more sourcebooks --and I don't think it will fill out as nicely this time around. Second, if the Realms feels mundane and boring or overdone already, its might be because they keep focusing on the same areas and expanding a little here and there with some new details over time. Forget about whole continents that have gone unexplored, or campaign accessories that didn't sell well in their time (Kara-tur, Maztica, etc)... there's plenty of areas of Faerun I would love to have seen given significantly more attention to.

And that's what I think about the new Realms. Now, as to why I think the new Realms exist? Money is the easy answer. Another possibility, however, can be found in the words of my favorite author:

"There is a theory which states that if ever anyone discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another theory which states that this has already happened."
--Douglas Adams

Some people are like a slinky... not good for much, but when you push them down the stairs, it makes you smile.

Edited by - Nerfed2Hell on 22 Sep 2008 13:08:58
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 22 Sep 2008 :  13:48:27  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That second quote sounds familiar...

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

Varl
Learned Scribe

USA
284 Posts

Posted - 22 Sep 2008 :  16:32:56  Show Profile Send Varl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The inclusion of terrain deformation features into the Realms isn't a new concept as far as I can tell. All WotC offered up is a new and fresh way to look at how the Realms may evolve, and whether our own individual campaigns choose to follow those changes or not, they still lend some interesting possibilities to our games. The hard part, of course, is committing to purchase products for only a few good campaign ideas. A new edition wasn't particularly needed imo, and if WotC wanted to give Realms fans alternatives and variations on possible Realms futures, they should have done it in a few good campaign books that change how we look at the Realms.

We've been given all kinds of gaming materials on the myriad of character types in which to play. Why can't game worlds be given similar variations? If you think about it, all of us don't really play in a sterile, universally consistent Realms anyway. Each DM has their own private peccadillos they prefer (say that 5 times fast!) and I highly doubt any of us can say we toe the One True Realmsian Way when it comes to canon or lore.

That all said, I don't have any particular love or hatred towards what they've done in the 4e Realms. I've become more of a curious outsider looking in, much moreso than I used to be, but that's okay. The 2e Realms will always be the One True Realms Way for me, and everything else they've created and will create for the Realms since, is optional.

Welcome to the Realms and Candlekeep, Thumper.

I'm on a permanent vacation to the soul. -Tash Sultana
Go to Top of Page

Nerfed2Hell
Senior Scribe

USA
387 Posts

Posted - 23 Sep 2008 :  13:46:59  Show Profile  Visit Nerfed2Hell's Homepage Send Nerfed2Hell a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ashe Ravenheart

That second quote sounds familiar...

I cannot imagine why.

Some people are like a slinky... not good for much, but when you push them down the stairs, it makes you smile.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000