Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 On Impiltur...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 18 Dec 2013 :  17:15:00  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It was only geographic notations/corrections, and they will be on the map. There was really no accompanying lore (along the lines of "add settlemtnts here, here, and here, and name them blah, blah, & blah"). I would prefer if Krash elaborated on them himself, because I am sure folks will be asking MANY questions when the map is finished.

He didn't like the name of the moor (or the size of it), and I had to tweak the forest (which shouldn't have been there, I found out). I just wanted to spruce the place up and make it look like a more desirable adventuring locale (it had a lot of 'empty' going on). I was going for the, "Ohhhh... whats THAT?" affect (like how I feel whenever I look at one of Mike Shley's maps).

There is a region (dale?) that falls-out between Impiltur, Damara, and the Great Dale, which doesn't seem to be part of any of them. GK said in his Dragon article that Implitur has no interest in those northern settlments, but when I look at the Bloodstone products, most of them fall outside of the Barony of Polten. That entire region isn't even shown on the 3e map of the Great Dale (so one has to assume they are not part of it).*

We should name that area, and leave it as a 'DM special' - its in easy striking-distance of lots of cool stuff (because it is at the very tip of the Easting Reach, folks can go in all directions easily.) I dub theee... The Barony of Feldershmoot! Hmmmmm.... maybe not...

Easting Dale, perhaps?

*I've come to the conclusion that due to its history, nations of FR have learned a very valuable lesson that most would-be conquerors here on Earth never seem to - that it may be easy to take stuff, but not so easy to hold on to it. In other words, its very easy to over-extend yourself, and then wind up with nothing. This is also (probably) why so many countries have 'soft' borders (that, and the existence of non-humans make such things very difficult to define properly). Also, they seem to like keeping these 'neutral buffer-zones' between them (no border-conflicts that way).

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 18 Dec 2013 17:21:11
Go to Top of Page

Lothlos
Learned Scribe

USA
111 Posts

Posted - 22 Dec 2013 :  00:59:28  Show Profile Send Lothlos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sounds like a great Christmas present

The Road goes ever on and on
Down from the door where it began.
Now far ahead the Road has gone,
And I must follow, if I can,
Pursuing it with eager feet,
Until it joins some larger way
Where many paths and errands meet.
And whither then? I cannot say.
-J.R.R. Tolkien

Go to Top of Page

mikemax
Acolyte

14 Posts

Posted - 10 Jan 2014 :  18:11:58  Show Profile Send mikemax a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't mean to sound impatient or ungrateful (even though I really am-- impatient.. not ungrateful) but, how is the work coming on the map and the compilation? I'm planning to start a new campaign set in and around Impiltur next month and would love to have these at my disposal. I've got enough stuff to start off with but having these would make things so much richer for my players.

Thanks in advance to Sage and Markustay for all of their hard work on this and of course to George for sharing his little corner of the Realms.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 10 Jan 2014 :  20:05:33  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've been tinkering with the map the past few days.

I had gotten sidetracked by several other map projects since I've revisited this, but I am now concentrating on this fully. I might have a perfectly useable WIP up sometime over the weekend.

I'd have had it done already, but my biggest problem is that every time I take time off from a map, stuff just doesn't look 'good enough' anymore. I had originally just blown-up my (unfinished) map of eastern Faerūn, but I hate the way that makes the terrain look all 'washed out', so I just re-did the Galenas and all surrounding hills, etc. Came across a forgotten settlement in a Polyhedron artcle, which made me tweak the whole region around Mulmaster. Finishing up the Thar Moor as I speak.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 10 Jan 2014 20:24:07
Go to Top of Page

mikemax
Acolyte

14 Posts

Posted - 10 Jan 2014 :  21:06:16  Show Profile Send mikemax a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Cool. I understand how stepping away and coming back can make you rethink what you've done. Happens to me every time I get interrupted when I'm planning out a campaign. =)
Thanks for the update and all the hard work.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 11 Jan 2014 :  01:06:48  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mikemax

I don't mean to sound impatient or ungrateful (even though I really am-- impatient.. not ungrateful) but, how is the work coming on the map and the compilation? I'm planning to start a new campaign set in and around Impiltur next month and would love to have these at my disposal. I've got enough stuff to start off with but having these would make things so much richer for my players.

Thanks in advance to Sage and Markustay for all of their hard work on this and of course to George for sharing his little corner of the Realms.

The compilation's coming. It's slow work because I really want to achieve a completeness of sorts that is a worthwhile tribute to Krash's grand Impiltur detailing over the years. Plus, I'm still finding the odd post or tidbit that I hadn't come across in my earlier compilations.

I'm positioning myself for a end-of-January draft period release. Which means it SHOULD [SageTime pending] be ready for final release and uploading to the main site here at Candlekeep, in February.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Derulbaskul
Senior Scribe

Singapore
408 Posts

Posted - 11 Jan 2014 :  06:39:22  Show Profile Send Derulbaskul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage (snip) I'm positioning myself for a end-of-January draft period release. Which means it SHOULD [SageTime pending] be ready for final release and uploading to the main site here at Candlekeep, in February.

OK, so you've narrowed down the month.

I was going to ask which year but, to be fair to you, which decade?

Cheers
D

NB: Please remember: A cannon is a big gun. Canon is what we discuss here.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 11 Jan 2014 :  07:23:45  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That would be 2014, and the second decade of the 21st century.

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 11 Jan 2014 :  22:26:57  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am so looking forward to an 'Impiltur Region' Netbook treatment of this. It will almost feel as if we have the CKC back.

Oh, and if Sage does the truly magnificent job I expect from him, and GK comes through with new lore (which he does all the time anyway), I may even do a historical map (after the other is done, of course). I've always wanted to try my hand at one of those.

One without the Moonsea (at least, not so huge), and with the Glacier still intact (and covering Vassa), etc. I also wanted to draw Thay with only one 'tier' (back when it was the 'Centaur Lands'), and leave the reasons why unstated (to allow people to come up with their own interesting plothooks).

The Centaurs speak of a time when there was but one enscarpment; most sages laugh it off as centaurs merely keeping "their usual pitiable historic reckoning". However, a recently-unearthed Raumvari map of ancient origins also shows only one landrise, leading to further debate.

Edited by - Markustay on 11 Jan 2014 22:27:17
Go to Top of Page

Derulbaskul
Senior Scribe

Singapore
408 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2014 :  07:54:38  Show Profile Send Derulbaskul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

That would be 2014, and the second decade of the 21st century.

We shall see, Procrastinator Most High. :)

Cheers
D

NB: Please remember: A cannon is a big gun. Canon is what we discuss here.
Go to Top of Page

Lothlos
Learned Scribe

USA
111 Posts

Posted - 15 Jan 2014 :  14:46:52  Show Profile Send Lothlos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Looking forward to the netbook.

-J.R.R. Tolkien

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2014 :  14:58:15  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
AS am I.

Just an update: Didn't get as far with the map as I wanted to this weekend, so no WIP. I have been working on it steadily - Impiltur itself is done. I am just busy 'polishing' the peripheral regions.

This one I would have to say is 'non-canon' (not that any of mine are, but I do try to keep them accurate to at least one edition). Aside from the adds I got from Krash, I added-in a couple of my own items (nothing drastic - more like 'logical placements'). I had only decided to do this after I realized that this map was already removed from canon due to the nature of how I am going about it. Impiltur is correct as of the end of the 3e era (when the Spellplague hit). Vaasa, on the other hand, is detailed as of the 4e era (with me tweaking the Mike Schley map from Brian James' Vaasa article). The reason for that was simple - it had much more stuff on it then any previous map. Lastly, Damara; its mostly 1e/2e, with a couple of locales added-in from the 4e Vaasa map (which we could assume 'were always there'). Although I use very specific size icons for all the settlements now (so that EVERY town size is represented, as per the rules), one should use common sense and all applicable lore for the era they are playing in.

Thus, Fugue is a respectable-sized (large) town in 4e, and its a 'tent city'. My thoughts on that were that there was always something there - a fortified Inn & hostlery, and perhaps a few 'support structures'. By the end of 3e (after the affairs of the Sellswords series), I would also assume a small keep or tower representing Damara. So, although fugue is only (first) shown on a 4e map, it probably existed in some form in 3e, and DMs can feel free to 'downsize' it as much as they want, for earlier periods of time. The size icons I use only represent stuff using the last available data... which, unfortunately, for Damara was 2e. I guess what I am trying to say is that all eras are represented, just use common sense when figuring whats there during the time you are playing in (keeps becoming ruins, etc).

I only took this approach because I wanted to show EVERYTHING, and literally have the map be useful 'in all eras' (no small task). This approach is only possible because we are planning a 'Cyclopedia'-style netbook treatment for the region (thus, in THAT, we can explain what is there for each entry, at what periods in time). If we don't do the netbook, then I made a mistake in doing the map in this manner (because it will cause much confusion as a stand-alone).

Edited by - Markustay on 16 Jan 2014 15:06:06
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6353 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2014 :  15:14:39  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well i think thats a great idea. I have already collected all the lore i have on those areas for all editions. I just dont use most of the 4e stuff. But its always good to have it to hand just in case they pull out a gem of an idea (like warlock knights and Telos)

I hope you finish the map soon so i can use it.

Keep up the good work.

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2014 :  15:44:54  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, that was the idea... and hopefully the attitude of most folks going into 5e. Use what you want, and toss-out the rest. I show as much as possible, to represent those choices. An icon is on the map to give you that choice, not to shackle you to any canon from any edition. You don't want something there, just ignore it.

As much as I love the 'old guard' designers desire to 'respect past lore', and completely despise the new/old attitude of "lets just ignore past lore and write what we want" attitude that crept-in in 4e, I think we need some sort of middle-ground. Some lore SHOULD be ignored - FR has become rife with 'silly explanations' for redundant/conflicting lore, and sometimes its better to just make a choice, then to say both is correct, and then give some sort of convoluted explanation for it. Paizo does that, BTW: Just admit the mistake and move on... it demonstrates it is possible to have too much respect for the lore (I know... BLASPHEMY!!!)

Its just a game setting, after all, and we should realize our grognardize helped to create 4e just as much as as the nay-sayers did. If we weren't so anal about everything, they wouldn't have felt the need for the huge 'data dump'. So going in to this project, lets try and remember its about having fun first and foremost. We need to channel our love for the Realms, NOT turn it into an obsession (because obsession tends to destroy its focus, in most cases).

Go to Top of Page

Lothlos
Learned Scribe

USA
111 Posts

Posted - 31 Jan 2014 :  04:47:46  Show Profile Send Lothlos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
@Markustay - Does that mean an obsession with having fun is a bad thing?

But seriously I agree about channeling our love for the Realms.

-J.R.R. Tolkien

Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6646 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2014 :  02:45:19  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Has anyone ever seen or created a graphic of the symbol of the kingdom of Impiltur?

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11700 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2014 :  14:45:24  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
hmmm, I saw it the other day... let me dig.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11700 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2014 :  19:15:56  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
sorry, wasn't the same, but the symbol of the Knights of Imphras II is on Champions of Valor, pg 89.

So, I decided... what the hell, I'll make one. Wish I could draw flames better.

This one's the JPEG that's colored
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8CYc8h_6sg8YW44R1JhdTFRSFk/edit?usp=sharing

This ones the TIF (its bigger) but its uncolored for if you want to change the colors around in paint.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8CYc8h_6sg8LVVrTWphdkw0d3c/edit?usp=sharing

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11700 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2014 :  19:25:26  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh, and if you're interested, the words on the sword are <on top> "Justice Honor Self Sacrifice" and <on the bottom> "May Faith Guide Our Hands" both in Thorass. I couldn't think of a more "Impilturian" motto to put there. I could have written it in Dethek or old or new espruar too (which reminds me, I really wanted to look up... how exactly do you make a true type font from scratch).

BTW, I kind of enjoy tinkering with this stuff, so if you want any changes I'm willing to try. I may play with the fire more. I really need to get a real drawing program besides visio though, but hey it still works and its relatively easy to figure out.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6646 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2014 :  04:27:48  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for that sleyvas, but one small query: why are there flames? FR6 describes the arms of Impiltur as a "crossed sword and wand on a dun banner, bordered in scarlet". The description in FR9 that uses "flaming scarlet" I always assumed just described the colour as opposed to flames (i.e. not a deep scarlet, but a lighter redder scarlet).

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus

Edited by - George Krashos on 03 Feb 2014 04:30:48
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11700 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2014 :  07:28:34  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
see, that's why I said give me feedback. I read it an entirely different way in the other resource, and I wasn't real impressed with it. I'll make a new version. So, you're just picturing a line on the outer edge that's light red? Let me know if it fits what you want. Or if you want a new motto on the sword or something. I really wish I could add a crown at the bottom, but the description doesn't call for it.

colored JPEG
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8CYc8h_6sg8d2MzVGN1aTAwdm8/edit?usp=sharing

uncolored but bigger TIF
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8CYc8h_6sg8REF5d2QxMnk1c0U/edit?usp=sharing

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6646 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2014 :  12:25:40  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think that works well, but the real issue is what colour are the sword and wand, if any? Might go ask Ed ….

-- George Krashos

Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11700 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2014 :  13:46:49  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

I think that works well, but the real issue is what colour are the sword and wand, if any? Might go ask Ed ….

-- George Krashos

Yeah, and as my girlfriend tells me... her 5 year old colors better than me. I wasn't exactly sure of the color of Dun either. That's why I give you the blank tiff as well. Knock yourself out. Its entirely my creation, and I freely give it to you to tinker with as you like. If you have Microsoft visio and want the original (it includes all my Waterdhavian heraldry as well in black and white), I'll share that with you too.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11700 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2014 :  18:04:30  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
just for grins. Made the sword longer, gave it a point, and added a gem-studded crown at the bottom for more color, such that this might be a "royal" symbol rather than the standard one.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8CYc8h_6sg8cm8wMk13RHNBR1U/edit?usp=sharing

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11700 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2014 :  06:34:11  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Saw this response from Ed via THO

"George, Ed fired back a very swift reply, and here it is:
Sword crosses over wand.
Wand: gold shaft, with white light (star-rayed) at business end; handle is VERY dark blue [almost black], with gold pommel, and gem-adorned at both "guard" end and pommel end.
Sword: blade is gray (so, in heraldic blazons, silver) with a VERY dark blue [almost black] grip, gold quillons and pommel.

Hope that helps.
love,
THO "

I made the following versions. On all, I didn't know what color for the gems on the wand, so I went with multi-colored.
I also made the sword pointed and longer (to match kind of the pointy rays of the wand). Oh, I also left a darker fuller on the blade, just to dress it up a little.

First - the version that still has Thorass written on the blade and the symbol of Tyr on the pommel

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8CYc8h_6sg8T0w2YnBkaW52cVk/edit?usp=sharing

Second - the more literal version (i.e. I removed the writing from the blade and just put an inner circle on the pommel to make it less plain)

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8CYc8h_6sg8cjdSR0tlNk5GUE0/edit?usp=sharing

Third - my view of the "royal version"... i.e. I just felt like putting the crown on it

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8CYc8h_6sg8RE85ZU43dGVuVW8/edit?usp=sharing

If you'd like the TIF of any of these versions so that you can recolor it easier in paint, just let me know and I'll throw it up on my google drive. If you'd like any other changes (like say the cross-guard being a simple plain square, remove the fuller, etc...) just let me know.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Lothlos
Learned Scribe

USA
111 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2014 :  02:28:14  Show Profile Send Lothlos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
awesome graphics Thanks for sharing

-J.R.R. Tolkien

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2014 :  03:36:51  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not surprsingly, I've fallen behind. Work committments have taken up a lot of my time over the last fortnight, which means my finishing up the compilation of Krash's IMPILTUR file has suffered.

I should be back on track next week, though, since I'll be having a few days off from work. Serious time to devote to my Candlekeep projects.

Sorry folks.

Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6646 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2014 :  06:08:12  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No pressure Sage. Life is like that more often than not.

I'm just looking forward to it so as to read all the lore I forgot I'd written! Oh, and to iron out the inevitable clashes in the lore.

Thanks in advance for all your hard work.

-- George Krashos

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2014 :  15:42:19  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sorry; I am working on three different commissions ATM (two art, one writing), so I, too, have fallen behind. It is so close to being finished I can taste it LOL. I was going to post a WIP, but as I said, its almost a waste to do so, since it is so close. I'll try to have that done by the weekend (I am actually ahead of schedule on one of my pay-projects, so I think I can manage that).

Edited by - Markustay on 12 Feb 2014 23:18:47
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6646 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2014 :  22:52:07  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Great stuff Markustay. Looking forward to seeing it.

-- George Krashos

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000