Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Thoughts on Critical Hits
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Herr Doktor
Seeker

52 Posts

Posted - 15 Jul 2003 :  19:48:18  Show Profile  Visit Herr Doktor's Homepage Send Herr Doktor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There are a couple of Critical Hit and Fumble charts for download here: http://www.dndadventure.com/dnda_dm_resources.html

I haven't playtested either of the tables, or even looked at the second one, but I plan to give at least the first one a try.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 16 Jul 2003 :  02:17:52  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Those charts are all good. At least for my campaigns. I particularly liked the first chart, although I found that it did slow my combat sessions down a little. That may also be partly attributed to the resistance some players had to utilising these tables also.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Acaus Bellum
Acolyte

19 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2003 :  11:25:16  Show Profile  Visit Acaus Bellum's Homepage Send Acaus Bellum a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Several things you should think about because I believe that your goal was to add realism. The type of armor an individual wears would affect his vulnerabilities to certain rolls on any chart. I try to keep it simple because I believe you are opening up a can of worms with purple worms in it. I wonder if any of you have ever fought with swords/sticks you get hit in the hand constantly and you get used to it. Also say for instance you got hit in the hand on a crit hit what if you were wearing gauntlet or your weapon has a guard on it. I think a good idea would be to keep it as simple as possible. Say seventy percent of crit hits will hit torso regular damage(as in x2or x3) but if you wearing armor its damaged AC reduced by 1. Ten percent chance hit either head arms or legs. The effects are arms Base Attack -4 does normal damage(not crit its a arm not a vital organ), head stun lose action next turn regular crit damage, and legs normal damage non-crit AC -2 or -4. Fairly simple more realistic and you can say that certain armor or protection will negate certain results. I leave off other possiblities because I prefer simplicity .

You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him float.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2003 :  17:38:35  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There are some interesting points there Acaus, particularly the vulnerabilities to certain rolls when wearing armor, and the gauntlet guarding a hand. It certainly adds a new level to this idea of a modified critical hit chart.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2003 :  17:42:37  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am curious as to why you suggested that making use of this idea would be like 'opening up a can of worms with purple worms in it'?. What is it exactly about this idea that made you think that?.

Go to Top of Page

Salabasha
Learned Scribe

Portugal
216 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2003 :  01:50:53  Show Profile  Visit Salabasha's Homepage Send Salabasha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Sage of Perth

On a roll of 1d6

1-2: Equals an arm hit. This results in a -2 temporary penalty to Strength, and a free Disarm attempt with no Attack of Opportunity.

3-4: Equals a torso hit. This is normal extra damage.

--5: Equals a head hit. The target is then stunned for one round.

--6: Equals a leg hit. This results in a -2 temporary damage to Dexterity, a free trip attack with no Attack of Opportunity, and finally a -5 speed. If both legs hit are struck, then no movement which requires legs is allowed (though the character can still fly, levitate, etc).

I do believe that the critical hits system could have some work done on it. Your concept is more feasible and enticing then that of the older one, the only problem being one of two things. 1 of course is that there aren't, as I am sure others have said, leg hits, head hits etc. in the game. The second is that, and from fighting experience, not all those creatures that we fight have those body parts .
Nonetheless, it is still quite good.

Life is like a box of chocolates. Once you eat the poisoned one you die.

Edited by - Salabasha on 20 Jul 2003 01:57:39
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2003 :  03:54:09  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you .

Although, I have received some very interesting feedback, and suggestions for improvement. I am still working on a new table (amongst about one-hundred other projects), which will hopefully acknowledge a much more improved and streamlined combat session with regards to critical hits.

Edited by - The Sage on 20 Jul 2003 03:54:38
Go to Top of Page

Acaus Bellum
Acolyte

19 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2003 :  06:12:16  Show Profile  Visit Acaus Bellum's Homepage Send Acaus Bellum a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sage and all DMs that might be listening, I know many have had success with Crit hit charts but my experience is that they can grow out of control and before you know it you have to throw them out. Keep it simple and how you like it and in this case don't let players have any say in the matter.

You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him float.
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2003 :  06:24:32  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Indeed, that's why I was thinking it might be more trouble than it's worth. Still, up to the actual user . . . .

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2003 :  07:03:10  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Agreed. Most of my players actually enjoy using these tables for critical hits. But then they are all pretty level-headed gamers. My epic level campaign that is running though has several 'power-gamers' who originally abused the first table I generated (especially when you consider the BAB of some epic level fighters). I had to remove that table from the campaign, and resort to using the regular system.

So I really think it comes down to what both the DM and the players think about it.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000