Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Thoughts on Critical Hits
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 13 Jul 2003 :  20:21:46  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Let us know about it, Sage. I'd like to know how it works in introduction to people who haven't used it before.

And Arazn, what was the cursed ring? And how long until that character got a finger regrown?

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

AraznBlair
Learned Scribe

USA
114 Posts

Posted - 13 Jul 2003 :  23:38:38  Show Profile  Visit AraznBlair's Homepage Send AraznBlair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Bookwyrm, I haven't played him since so the finger is still missing. He now owns a tavern in Waterdeep near the Dock Ward called SpellSword Tavern. As for the curse ring, my DM said that is was an Elven Family ring belonging to the Starym Family of Myth Drannor before the fall. He made my background as a distant relative to that family and since I was a Half Elf the ring could not be removed. A Dragon in the mountains near Tilverton wanted the ring and gave me a choice. Either become full human/elf, die or lose the finger. I chose the finger. The campaign ended do to me moving away. What a same that was.

Arazn Blair
Fightermage Extrodinare
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2003 :  02:13:24  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No problem Bookwyrm. My game was delayed until tonight, since two players had emergency commitments. I'll post some thoughts on this as soon as we are done.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

branmakmuffin
Senior Scribe

USA
428 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2003 :  03:51:00  Show Profile  Visit branmakmuffin's Homepage Send branmakmuffin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
AraznBlair:

Your critical hit chart is a little grim. But maybe your players like that sort of thing. Of course, effects like "Lose 1d3 points of Charisma" have no meaning for NPCs and monsters.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2003 :  09:14:26  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
But wouldn't that really be the DM's decision. I am sure an alterate chart could be drawn up to inflict the similar type wounds to all DM NPC's. You could probably determine a way to find wound penalties for NPC in your game, therefore not allowing them an unfair advantage.

Edited by - The Sage on 14 Jul 2003 09:15:07
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2003 :  10:01:51  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Charisma is fine unless it impacts a spellcasting ability. I mean, why would having your face disfigured affect how you "feel" the magic?

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2003 :  10:47:03  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That point is fairly obvious for most DM's to consider anyway.

Edited by - The Sage on 14 Jul 2003 10:47:53
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2003 :  11:49:02  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So would it be a Charisma penalty for everything but magic?

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2003 :  13:10:52  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Without actually running this system yet, I can say, that yes, it would be a charima penalty excluding magic. Although after play-testing...who knows?.

I guess I'll just have to find out.

Go to Top of Page

AraznBlair
Learned Scribe

USA
114 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2003 :  15:44:40  Show Profile  Visit AraznBlair's Homepage Send AraznBlair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Actually my friend had created this chart back when only the First Edition was out. When 2E came about the chart was still suitable. Now with 3E there will have to be some revisions for it such as the Charisma penalty. It mainly affected the looks of the person and how he was treated by those that did not know him. I don't see how it would affect a Sorceror but a Bard could lose his ability to inspire those around him if he had an injury to his face that caused him to lose 3 points of Charisma. The casting of spells may not be affected but just the way the PC is percieved by others.

As for the NPC's, unless it was a NPC that was with the party then these Ability penalties would not matter. If your in a fight it wouldn't matter if the opponent just lost his eye for most likely you'll finish him off.

Arazn Blair
Fightermage Extrodinare
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2003 :  16:00:34  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was actually considering the overall effect regarding charisma and general appearance and looks. The point about the Bard though is valid.

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2003 :  16:56:17  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Bardic abilities, yes, but arcane spells? They have to deal with the way the bard is in tune (avoiding any hippie jokes, much as they want to come out ) with magic around him.

And I guess it would really have to do with where the source of the character's charisma (the type that he adds to diplomacy) comes from. If it's looks (like, say, with the character of Lockhart from Harry Potter) then the damage is normal. But you don't need looks to be charismatic. Steven Hawkings has a very charismatic personality, but he isn't what anyone would call handsome. He has limited hand movements, and has to use a computer to do his talking. (The Microsoft Sam voice, which is preloaded into Windows XP, if anyone wants their computer to sound like his . . . . )

Then again, many people are easily swayed by looks. If someone is "horribly disfigured" they would be uncomfortable around him. I'm like that myself, to some degree. My biggest problem, though, is dealing with people with limited intelligence. I'm always afraid I'll get upset with them for being so "slow" and so I try to stay away from them. I've got a bit of a temper, and I don't want to take it out on someone who can't help how they act.

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2003 :  16:59:05  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
How would you deal with a character who has lost an eye? Would (s)he be vulnerable to flanking attacks in an extra square? (Assuming you can follow the picture I have in my head right now . . . .)

Go to Top of Page

branmakmuffin
Senior Scribe

USA
428 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2003 :  21:26:20  Show Profile  Visit branmakmuffin's Homepage Send branmakmuffin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sage of Perth:
quote:
Without actually running this system yet, I can say, that yes, it would be a charima penalty excluding magic. Although after play-testing...who knows?.
I guess I'll just have to find out.

You'd have to keep track of two diferent "charismas". I guess you could call one "mental charisma" and the other "physical charisma". Or heck, just add a stat for "appearance".

That sounds exceedingly awkward and hardly worth the bother just to impelment a "house rule" critical hit chart.
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2003 :  21:58:03  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Bran, I might actually have to agree with you for once . . . .

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 15 Jul 2003 :  02:31:02  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am going to try both methods anyway. I like play-testing these sorts of fan-created systems. Your point does have some validity though Bran. Although I think it would also serve as a measure of how competent a DM really is in a game.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 15 Jul 2003 :  02:33:41  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And as for being an 'exceedingly awkward' system, well while I agree with you on that, I like the idea of being able to create a system which doesn't suffer from some of the problems already associated with this method.

Anway, I am using AraznBlair chart as my guide, incorporating what I feel are changes necessary to address all the issues mentioned here so far. I'll post it here when I have something definite.

Go to Top of Page

Mournblade
Master of Realmslore

USA
1287 Posts

Posted - 15 Jul 2003 :  03:49:57  Show Profile Send Mournblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Arazyn, your chart is Impressive... most impressive.

BUT Like Bookwyrm mentioned with the EYE comment, it seems to open up another component you have to deal with. Such as an accurate system for fighting with powdered limbs, and shredded necks. I like your system, I just wouldn't use it for the 3rd edition. I would for the 2nd, becuase there were so many contradictory or EXTRA rules.

A wizard is Never late Frodo Baggins. Nor is he Early. A wizard arrives precisely when he means to...
Go to Top of Page

Herr Doktor
Seeker

52 Posts

Posted - 15 Jul 2003 :  03:50:17  Show Profile  Visit Herr Doktor's Homepage Send Herr Doktor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You could just have it cause misc penalties to certain skill checks instead, I suppose.

Maybe something like the Deformity Feats from the Book of Vile Darkness.

Perhaps massive scarification or wounding could even grant the victim a bonus to Intimidate checks or Diplomacy or Bluff checks when trying to impress a band of battle-scarred pirates... sounds a little complicated though.

Edited by - Herr Doktor on 15 Jul 2003 03:51:03
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 15 Jul 2003 :  06:18:32  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That is an interesting point Herr Doktor. I have been considering the Deformity feats for the alternate charts I have been slowly working on. I have been using them to determine many different aspects of battle wounds and the like as well as these other aspects you describe.

More work is needed though.

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 15 Jul 2003 :  11:50:18  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Skill penalties are what I was thinking about. And they might work. Maybe.

"Deformity" feats . . . I guess I ought to take a look at the BoVD.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 15 Jul 2003 :  13:42:20  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Actually before I post my revised system, I'd like to see what suggestions people have on possible alternate skill penalties.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 15 Jul 2003 :  13:43:25  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh, and Bookwyrm, let me know what you think about the possibilities of using the 'Deformity' feats.

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 15 Jul 2003 :  15:02:46  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Okay, I'll do that. I've got it on a PDF here . . . .

Go to Top of Page

AraznBlair
Learned Scribe

USA
114 Posts

Posted - 15 Jul 2003 :  15:26:47  Show Profile  Visit AraznBlair's Homepage Send AraznBlair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Like I said before this system was created for 1E and was able to be used for 2E. I'm not really sure how it will work with 3E though.

The idea of losing an eye and then fighting I think would cause the PC/NPC to take a severe lose of AC due to being blinded on one side. I'm not familiar with the Deformity Feat, nor am I sure how you can have such a feat, honestly I think that a PC/NPC would try and get the deformity fixed but thats just me.

Sage let me know how that chart works in 3E and if you have any changes to it that makes it work let me know so I can update my chart.

Arazn Blair
Fightermage Extrodinare
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 15 Jul 2003 :  15:49:07  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yck!

That's some pretty nasty stuff in there. I wouldn't call the book actually 'vile' -- but it's certainly unpleasant.

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 15 Jul 2003 :  15:50:52  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Arazn, the prerequisite for any of the Deformity feats is the feat "Willing Deformity" -- so no, I don't believe the character would want to get it healed . . . .

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 15 Jul 2003 :  15:52:47  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Now, Sage, you asked about possiblilities . . . what sort of situations did you have in mind?

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 15 Jul 2003 :  17:31:38  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'll get back to you on that Bookwyrm.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 15 Jul 2003 :  17:33:41  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
AraznBlair, I'll post my chart up here as soon as it is finished. I should be able to get to work on it tomorrow, after my second exam for the week. I can spare some time between then and the third exam on Friday.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000