Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 'Forgotten Realms Campaign Guide' -- Discussion
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 16 Aug 2008 :  06:56:50  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Okay, since it seems like official tidbits about the 4e FRCG are starting to filter in from Gen Con, I thought it'd be useful to set aside a temporary scroll for the duration of the Con. This will make it easier for readers to access any of the relevant info that scribes attending the Con will post.

Thus, rather than opening new scrolls elsewhere around Candlekeep, I'd prefer you all to post your information here, in this scroll.

Thank you.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

hammer of Moradin
Senior Scribe

USA
758 Posts

Posted - 16 Aug 2008 :  07:20:56  Show Profile  Visit hammer of Moradin's Homepage Send hammer of Moradin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Very handy Sage. However I picked up my copy of the FRCG at the local bookstore here in Florida. This may get out of hand quickly if more people are finding it out on the shelves.

Other than that I will try to research any quick questions folks have as time permits.

"Hurling himself upon his enemies, he terrified them with slaughter!"

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium

Candlekeep proverb: If a thing is said often enough, fools aplenty will believe it to be true.
Go to Top of Page

questing gm
Master of Realmslore

Malaysia
1214 Posts

Posted - 16 Aug 2008 :  11:34:30  Show Profile  Visit questing gm's Homepage Send questing gm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Excellent! Finally there's scroll in Candlekeep.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 16 Aug 2008 :  14:44:38  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Everything you need to know is being compiled by a poster named Derren at Enworld -

http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?p=4424966#post4424966

If people want to discuss it here, fine, but we already had a thread for that, and the Enworld one is constantly updated and precise.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 19 Aug 2008 20:10:10
Go to Top of Page

Kes_Alanadel
Learned Scribe

USA
326 Posts

Posted - 16 Aug 2008 :  15:31:34  Show Profile  Visit Kes_Alanadel's Homepage Send Kes_Alanadel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Everything you need to know is being compiled by a poster named Derren at Enworld -

http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?p=4424966#post4424966

If people want to discuss it hee, fine, but we already had a thread for that, and the Enworld one is constantly updated and precise.

Not everyone visits Enworld, or Wotc's boards for that matter, so it's nice to have one here for those of us who don't. *Shrug*

~Kes

Ack! I seem to have too much blood in my coffee stream!

When did 'common sense' cease to be common?
Go to Top of Page

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 16 Aug 2008 :  16:32:58  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
While I check out those other sites, I much prefer the conversations that take place here. the other sites turn negative far more quickly
Go to Top of Page

monknwildcat
Learned Scribe

USA
285 Posts

Posted - 16 Aug 2008 :  19:35:56  Show Profile  Visit monknwildcat's Homepage Send monknwildcat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Good idea, and thanks, Sage!

Thanks for the link. MT!

And thanks for the offer, Hammer!

Do the fey'ri make an appearance, perhaps as Unseelie in the Feywild?

Edited by - monknwildcat on 16 Aug 2008 20:02:40
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 16 Aug 2008 :  19:49:50  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If no one does a summery, on Keep, about the Secrets seminar, I got my notes and I'll write what I managed to keep notes about. Yes. I got talked into going only cause everyone from the meetup was going. :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Go to Top of Page

Fillow
Master of Realmslore

France
1608 Posts

Posted - 16 Aug 2008 :  20:17:42  Show Profile  Visit Fillow's Homepage Send Fillow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for this scroll Sage and also...
Thanks by advance for reporting Kuje.

"Today is a good day to smile",
Fillow Big'n'Book Mahlemiut 'Lead-dog', Son of Garl, Wanderer of the Masked Leaf and Namer of Oghma.

- Fight in the arena and have fun ! :
La brute.com
- Feel free to take part to these projects : Post-Spellplague bibliography ; 4E index project ; Taverns and inns of the Realms ; Dogs of the Realms ; Descriptions of places in the novels ; forums, RPG, FR Abbreviations and Acronyms
- Come and have a look at the already asked questions from the Forgotten Realms Trivia Challenge

I am a French FR fan, so please forgive my lapses in English language and do not hesitate to correct me. Thanks a lot.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2008 :  01:22:08  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

If no one does a summery, on Keep, about the Secrets seminar, I got my notes and I'll write what I managed to keep notes about. Yes. I got talked into going only cause everyone from the meetup was going. :)

You'll probably want to add any extra tidbits to Red Walker's scroll here, then:- http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=11390

Go to Top of Page

questing gm
Master of Realmslore

Malaysia
1214 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2008 :  02:09:35  Show Profile  Visit questing gm's Homepage Send questing gm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

There is a summary sort of at WoTC's site.
http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/4dnd/20080816

But I would definately like to heard more about the details.
Go to Top of Page

monknwildcat
Learned Scribe

USA
285 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2008 :  02:10:38  Show Profile  Visit monknwildcat's Homepage Send monknwildcat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Good to see you back, Fillow!
Go to Top of Page

monknwildcat
Learned Scribe

USA
285 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2008 :  02:17:11  Show Profile  Visit monknwildcat's Homepage Send monknwildcat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for posting the link, questing gm! Informative!
Go to Top of Page

Neriandal Freit
Senior Scribe

USA
396 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2008 :  13:54:12  Show Profile  Visit Neriandal Freit's Homepage Send Neriandal Freit a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by questing gm

quote:

There is a summary sort of at WoTC's site.
http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/4dnd/20080816

But I would definately like to heard more about the details.

That...is just sad. I won't reveal what I see by them doing that (those who are evil enough to see that tactic knows what I'm saying) - stick to those who went. Not what they offer.

Anyways, onward to the Campaign Setting!

"Eating people is wrong...unless it's on the first date." - Ed Greenwood, GenCon Indy 2006
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2008 :  14:13:18  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like this line: "Very few things are ret-conned for the new edition,"

Wow, if the Shattered Realms are the results of a few retcons, I'd hate to see what happens if they decided to retcon a lot of stuff!

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 17 Aug 2008 14:13:56
Go to Top of Page

Ayunken-vanzan
Senior Scribe

Germany
657 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2008 :  19:25:31  Show Profile  Visit Ayunken-vanzan's Homepage Send Ayunken-vanzan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Elminster has been insane for years, and the Spellplague deeply affected his mind as well; do no trust what he has to say!

Most remarkable.

"What mattered our lives now? When our world had been torn from us? Folk wept, or drank, or stood staring out over the land, wondering what new horror each dawn would bring."
Elender Stormfall of Suzail

"Anyone can kill deities, cause plagues, or destroy organizations. It takes real skill to make them live on."
Varl

FR/D&D-Links 2ed Downloads
Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2008 :  21:00:36  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Its the second half of the paragraph that really shows what the 4E Realms are about - the italics are mine

"How are iconic characters being re-classed for 4th Edition?
Very few things are ret-conned for the new edition, but these things do include Elminster and Drizzt having game mechanics more appropriate to 4th Edition. In addition, NPCs are no longer really described in terms of character classes; they simply have the powers they have that best match what they do in the novels."

So its going back to its roots, as a world to tell stories in.

Cheers

Damian

So saith Ed. I've never said he was sane, have I?
Gods, all this writing and he's running a constant fantasy version of Coronation Street in his head, too. .
shudder,
love to all,
THO
Candlekeep Forum 7 May 2005
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2008 :  21:38:16  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by crazedventurers

quote:

Its the second half of the paragraph that really shows what the 4E Realms are about - the italics are mine

"How are iconic characters being re-classed for 4th Edition?
Very few things are ret-conned for the new edition, but these things do include Elminster and Drizzt having game mechanics more appropriate to 4th Edition. In addition, NPCs are no longer really described in terms of character classes; they simply have the powers they have that best match what they do in the novels."

So its going back to its roots, as a world to tell stories in.

Cheers

Damian

They could have easily done that without an edition change, without a timejump, and without nuking half of the setting. They're not going back to the roots of the world -- they left those behind when they overrode Ed's objections and decided to inflict the Sellplague on the Realms.

Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2008 :  22:12:53  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
They could have easily done that without an edition change, without a timejump, and without nuking half of the setting. They're not going back to the roots of the world -- they left those behind when they overrode Ed's objections and decided to inflict the Sellplague on the Realms.

Wooly I know I was being flippant - I will add the 'sarky smiley' () next time.

I know we have discussed this before and I think we are agreed that the 4E Realms is there to sell novels first and foremost and the campaign and players book second. My feeling is that books outsell gaming products by a very wide margin and therefore is where the cash is, so by shifting the world forward 100 years and doing what they have done, they can write new novels about new situations and therefore sell more.......

Anyhoo this thread is seriously off topic without you and I ranting!

Cheers

Damian

So saith Ed. I've never said he was sane, have I?
Gods, all this writing and he's running a constant fantasy version of Coronation Street in his head, too. .
shudder,
love to all,
THO
Candlekeep Forum 7 May 2005
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2008 :  02:49:56  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

It was a lot more fun to go to that seminar sitting between you and Red Walker. Glad we managed to drag you along . . .
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2008 :  04:52:37  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Grin, indeed it was. :) Had a blast sitting between you and Neri.

quote:
Originally posted by KnightErrantJR

It was a lot more fun to go to that seminar sitting between you and Red Walker. Glad we managed to drag you along . . .

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2008 :  14:24:31  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by KnightErrantJR

quote:

Ah yes the Kuje "Is that Lady K?", mis-hearing incident by me, sticks out foremost.....

As far as the FRCG, I fall back on Ed:

"But it's 400 pages to short"

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

Lady Kazandra
Senior Scribe

Australia
921 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2008 :  14:45:39  Show Profile  Visit Lady Kazandra's Homepage Send Lady Kazandra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Red Walker

Ah yes the Kuje "Is that Lady K?", mis-hearing incident by me, sticks out foremost.....
Sorry guys! I only spent about 10 minutes at the seminar. I had to then quickly run off to the Catalyst Game Labs site to catch up on the "secret surprise" release they were unveiling. Though, reading over some of the notes made from the seminar, I don't think there was too much discussed that would've kept my interest anyway.

"Once upon a time the plural of 'wizard' was 'war'." -- The Last Continent, by Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2008 :  15:52:46  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Don't keep me in suspense, my love. Does this mean Jihad Secrets: The Blake Documents was released?

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2008 :  15:53:45  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Grin,

What was the surprise that they announced then? :)

quote:
Originally posted by Lady Kazandra

Sorry guys! I only spent about 10 minutes at the seminar. I had to then quickly run off to the Catalyst Game Labs site to catch up on the "secret surprise" release they were unveiling. Though, reading over some of the notes made from the seminar, I don't think there was too much discussed that would've kept my interest anyway.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2008 :  17:10:27  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

Don't keep me in suspense, my love. Does this mean Jihad Secrets: The Blake Documents was released?

There's some info about that over on the HMP forums. I am not all that interested in it, myself -- I honestly doubt that the "facts" are going to make the Jihad believable, because nothing about it has yet been believable.

Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2008 :  01:09:45  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lady Kazandra

quote:
Originally posted by The Red Walker

Oh I think I could have gained your attention...

and kept it!

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2008 :  01:12:22  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just out of curiosity, how many scribes here at Candlekeep purchased a copy of the FRCG?
quote:

quote:

There's some info about that over on the HMP forums. I am not all that interested in it, myself -- I honestly doubt that the "facts" are going to make the Jihad believable, because nothing about it has yet been believable.
I hope that's the case. This nonsense about Hanse Davion really being the father of Sun-Tzu! That cannot be right.

Go to Top of Page

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2008 :  03:22:22  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I will be soon.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2008 :  03:45:12  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Just out of curiosity, how many scribes here at Candlekeep purchased a copy of the FRCG?
quote:

quote:

I hope that's the case. This nonsense about Hanse Davion really being the father of Sun-Tzu! That cannot be right.

Though it would explain how Sun-Tzu grew up in a family of crazy people and yet still managed to turn into one of the IS's most canny political operators...

Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2008 :  17:49:36  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I will check it out the first chance I get (seeing as my wife and I are currently carless, it may be awhile before I get to Borders), but I do not see myself buying it. I DO NOT want to vote for the 4e Realms with my wallet unless it completely dazzles me with its perfection, something I am pretty sure from all evidence so far will not happen unless a WotC employee hits me over the head with it and steals my debit card and buys a copy for me while I am in a daze.

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000