Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 RPG News & Releases
 Excerpt: Warlock (Dark Pact)
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2008 :  17:16:34  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Link.

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2008 :  17:49:02  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Something else utterly lacking in Realmslore...

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Ayunken-vanzan
Senior Scribe

Germany
657 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2008 :  18:37:13  Show Profile  Visit Ayunken-vanzan's Homepage Send Ayunken-vanzan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
But they are mentioning the Drow ...

"What mattered our lives now? When our world had been torn from us? Folk wept, or drank, or stood staring out over the land, wondering what new horror each dawn would bring."
Elender Stormfall of Suzail

"Anyone can kill deities, cause plagues, or destroy organizations. It takes real skill to make them live on."
Varl

FR/D&D-Links 2ed Downloads
Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1796 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2008 :  18:49:47  Show Profile Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am not even clicking on that, or any other WotC links for that matter...
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2008 :  18:51:00  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Purple Dragon Knight

Well, it doesn't say anything "upsetting", if that's what you're worried about.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

MerrikCale
Senior Scribe

USA
947 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2008 :  03:32:11  Show Profile  Visit MerrikCale's Homepage Send MerrikCale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

c'mon you know you want to. Its like looking at a bad car wreck as you drive by

When hinges creak in doorless chambers and strange and frightening sounds echo through the halls, whenever candlelights flicker where the air is deathly still, that is the time when ghosts are present, practicing their terror with ghoulish delight.
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2008 :  04:21:58  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Literally nothing ties this one to the Realms as opposed to any generic D&D world.
Go to Top of Page

Pandora
Learned Scribe

Germany
305 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2008 :  05:58:35  Show Profile  Visit Pandora's Homepage Send Pandora a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

quote:

Well, it doesn't say anything "upsetting", if that's what you're worried about.

It does ... if you are told that something you dont like (Warlocks for me, who are simply too powerful and too boring and too much Sith-like and unstylish for D&D) is commonly practiced by a race you like.

If you cant say what youre meaning,
you can never mean what youre saying.

- Centauri Minister of Intelligence, Babylon 5

Edited by - Pandora on 13 Aug 2008 05:59:14
Go to Top of Page

Kyrene
Senior Scribe

South Africa
729 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2008 :  07:50:29  Show Profile  Visit Kyrene's Homepage Send Kyrene a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MerrikCale

quote:

c'mon you know you want to. Its like looking at a bad car wreck as you drive by

Yeah, it's that morbid fascination we have with a dying Realms. I have personally downloaded each and every "Realms Excerpt" to my lore collection, even if I loathe doing it. *sigh* I think I should just go cold turkey, and totally ignore this -- and subsequent excerpts.

Lost for words? Find them in the Glossary of Phrases, Sayings & Words of the Realms
Go to Top of Page

SirUrza
Master of Realmslore

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2008 :  17:28:01  Show Profile Send SirUrza a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The powers are neat... but I'm still annoyed the Shadow weave still exists.

"Evil prevails when good men fail to act."
The original and unapologetic Arilyn, Aribeth, Seoni Fanboy.
Go to Top of Page

Tyranthraxus
Senior Scribe

Netherlands
423 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2008 :  18:00:00  Show Profile  Visit Tyranthraxus's Homepage Send Tyranthraxus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I haven't read the excerpts yet because and I have no time for it at the moment as it's about time for me to start my gaming session. But I will read them when I'm back home.

quote:
Originally posted by SirUrza

But how can the Shadow Weave still exist? I thought it was bound to the Weave, and thus with the death of Mystra is destroyed. Does this mean that some deity took over Mystra's job and the Weave is still "alive"?

Damn I'm getting really curious about the new Realms and I have to downoad it as soon as possible (I'm afraid it's just isn't worth buying).
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2008 :  19:01:48  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Faraer

Literally nothing ties this one to the Realms as opposed to any generic D&D world.

Yeah, it pretty much reads like a regular core article. Nothing wrong with "core", but it doesn't feel like a Realms excerpt.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2008 :  19:03:27  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Yes and no. There's a "Shadow" source of power, but apparently it has no connection to Shar anymore.

Go to Top of Page

Pandora
Learned Scribe

Germany
305 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2008 :  19:11:49  Show Profile  Visit Pandora's Homepage Send Pandora a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

quote:

Yes and no. There's a "Shadow" source of power, but apparently it has no connection to Shar anymore.

Basic question: How can there be shadow without light? So if "the Weave" is gone the "Shadow Weave" should have gone as well. To get shadows you not only need light, but that light has to come from a direction and not come from "everywhere" (after "the Weave" got dispersed into a mist (?) as I would guess). So if there is a "shadow source" there should be a "light source" as well, but then I may be wrong because I am applying "real world logic and physics" to a magical world which can have anything the designers want ... even pink elephants which can fly.

Go to Top of Page

Ayunken-vanzan
Senior Scribe

Germany
657 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2008 :  19:14:33  Show Profile  Visit Ayunken-vanzan's Homepage Send Ayunken-vanzan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
IIRC, Rich Baker stated that the shadow at first survived the destruction of the weave (by Shar's direct intervention, I presume), buter later also disbanded. The Shadow source power is something different. But I have no sources for that, sorry.

"What mattered our lives now? When our world had been torn from us? Folk wept, or drank, or stood staring out over the land, wondering what new horror each dawn would bring."
Elender Stormfall of Suzail

"Anyone can kill deities, cause plagues, or destroy organizations. It takes real skill to make them live on."
Varl

FR/D&D-Links 2ed Downloads
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2008 :  20:11:47  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Pandora

Basic question: How can there be shadow without light? So if "the Weave" is gone the "Shadow Weave" should have gone as well.

Great question, but in this case the Weave kinda is still there (it's the "Arcane" power source), it's just that no god has control over it anymore.

Go to Top of Page

Pandora
Learned Scribe

Germany
305 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2008 :  00:23:04  Show Profile  Visit Pandora's Homepage Send Pandora a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ayunken-vanzan

IIRC, Rich Baker stated that the shadow at first survived the destruction of the weave (by Shar's direct intervention, I presume), buter later also disbanded. The Shadow source power is something different. But I have no sources for that, sorry.

Hmmm ... another theory:
If Mystra's survival was linked to the existance of the Weave, shouldnt Shar be linked to the Shadow Weave in the same way if she and "her Weave" were the "antithesis"? If the Shadow Weave "disbands", how could Shar have survived? I think I read somewhere that Shar "created" the Shadow Weave, so she could have disbanded it, but creating something so complex should be an investment of a major part of someones focus - kinda like a dwarven smith (cf. Bruenor ??) who creates one magical weapon and gives of his own personality in the process, but on a much bigger scale.
Both times the Weave got a "hiccup" (Karsus draining Mystryl, Time of Troubles) the goddess of magic died, so it would seem logical the same should happen to the controler of a second "weave". Maybe 4e Shar isnt the same as a 3e Shar though (would be logical too, since she is more powerful apparently).

Go to Top of Page

Kes_Alanadel
Learned Scribe

USA
326 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2008 :  00:31:21  Show Profile  Visit Kes_Alanadel's Homepage Send Kes_Alanadel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Pandora

quote:
Originally posted by Ayunken-vanzan

Hmmm ... another theory:
If Mystra's survival was linked to the existance of the Weave, shouldnt Shar be linked to the Shadow Weave in the same way if she and "her Weave" were the "antithesis"? If the Shadow Weave "disbands", how could Shar have survived? I think I read somewhere that Shar "created" the Shadow Weave, so she could have disbanded it, but creating something so complex should be an investment of a major part of someones focus - kinda like a dwarven smith (cf. Bruenor ??) who creates one magical weapon and gives of his own personality in the process, but on a much bigger scale.
Both times the Weave got a "hiccup" (Karsus draining Mystryl, Time of Troubles) the goddess of magic died, so it would seem logical the same should happen to the controler of a second "weave". Maybe 4e Shar isnt the same as a 3e Shar though (would be logical too, since she is more powerful apparently).

IIRC, the Shadow Weave wasn't a part of Shar as the Weave was Mystra. I think this was talked about in Magic of Faerun but I don't remember off hand.

~Kes

Ack! I seem to have too much blood in my coffee stream!

When did 'common sense' cease to be common?
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000