Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Forgotten Realms Movie
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 7

warduke
Acolyte

USA
11 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2003 :  23:11:51  Show Profile  Visit warduke's Homepage Send warduke a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Brad Pitt is Capt. America? Now that I don't know about. I'm desperatly trying to come up with an "evil" actor to play Artemis since my Brad Pitt Idea has made me the scurge of CandleKeep in only a few short days How bout Christian Bale of American Psycho? In all honesty I agree that in reality if a movie of this magnitude was made almost all the actors would have to be unknowns as the budget would be through the roof on the talent alone!!!

Warduke the eternal Warrior. Let the rivers run red.
Go to Top of Page

Mournblade
Master of Realmslore

USA
1287 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2003 :  23:39:52  Show Profile Send Mournblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
WHOA! I was trying to figure out where cristopher Walkin would fit in, and Fzoul is Perfect.

I might Cast William Shatner as Vangerdahast. He is the right shape now.

A wizard is Never late Frodo Baggins. Nor is he Early. A wizard arrives precisely when he means to...
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 12 Jul 2003 :  01:49:34  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mournblade said -
quote:
I might Cast William Shatner as Vangerdahast. He is the right shape now.
A good point Mournblade. I must say that I agree with you on this .

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Yasraena
Senior Scribe

USA
388 Posts

Posted - 12 Jul 2003 :  05:25:59  Show Profile  Visit Yasraena's Homepage Send Yasraena a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Some good calls so far.
I really like Sean Connery or Ian McKellen as Elminster.
Nicole Kidman as Cattie-Brie.
Tyler Mane (Sabretooth in X-Men) as Wulfgar. He has the look, if not the talent.
Ever since I've seen LOTR I can't picture anyone else as a dwarf besides John-Rhys Davies, so he should play Bruenor.
Drizzt is a hard one. I can't think of anyone that's a known name that could really pull it off. (well, maybe Orlando Bloom in blackface and wig )
Artemis Entreri - How about the guy who played Grima wormtounge in LOTR - Brad Dourif.
Alustriel - Cate Blanchett
Storm Silverhand - Catherine Zeta-Jones
Khelben Arunsun - Jonathan Frakes

"Nindyn vel'uss malar verin z'klaen tlu kyone ulu naut doera nindel vel'bolen nind malar."
Yasraena T'Sarran
Harper of Silverymoon
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 12 Jul 2003 :  05:36:51  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Brad Dourif as Artemis Entreri...an excellent choice Yasraena. He has both the personality on screen and the background of having played cold, calculating and slithery character types both in LotR, and as the irratic murderer in the Voyager episode 'Meld'. Also take into consideration the effects of the Vulcan Mind Meld in the episode, and you have a logically cold and emotionless killer/assassin.

Go to Top of Page

Mournblade
Master of Realmslore

USA
1287 Posts

Posted - 13 Jul 2003 :  02:20:29  Show Profile Send Mournblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I might picture Catherine Zeta Jones as Ruha more so than Storm. Wait Storm Silverhand... That actually works well.

Maybe actualy Drew Barrymore as Princess Alusair.

A wizard is Never late Frodo Baggins. Nor is he Early. A wizard arrives precisely when he means to...
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 13 Jul 2003 :  10:50:02  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, Catherine Zeta Jones is a good choice for a fantasy role. She showed in The Mask of Zorro that she had the talent to wave around a rapier and at least look like she had trained for years.

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.

Edited by - Bookwyrm on 13 Jul 2003 10:50:58
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 13 Jul 2003 :  10:51:17  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I haven't seen much of her, though, so I don't know about her versatility. Is there a movie where she plays something besides a demure princess-like character?

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

MuadDib
Senior Scribe

South Africa
442 Posts

Posted - 13 Jul 2003 :  12:15:52  Show Profile  Visit MuadDib's Homepage Send MuadDib a Private Message  Reply with Quote
some other ideas i had

if anyone can remember 7, i would make Artemis Entreri Kevin Spacy. He's got some serious evil working for him...

who is Fzoul? so i can catch up...

I think Morgan Freeman might make some sort of wise character, and also, leeching from D&D movie, Jeremy Irons as someone would be awesome. He has such a voice...

If we can include dead people - Alec Guiness as Elminster (Alec was Obi Wan in the original Trilogy)

And James Ear Jones as the voice of Szass Tam - cliched but still effective i think....

MuadDib - Candlekeep Inn Barhand
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 13 Jul 2003 :  12:23:36  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmm, good choice on Elminster. He might have been able to do it.

And if we want some good voices, how about Christopher Judge? (He does Magneto's voice in the X-Men: Evolution cartoon, as well as playing the character Teal'c on Stargate: SG-1.)

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 13 Jul 2003 :  14:20:04  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Bookwyrm said -
quote:
I haven't seen much of her, though, so I don't know about her versatility. Is there a movie where she plays something besides a demure princess-like character?
A movie called Entrapment, alongside Sean Connery. If you are a Disney fan, then you might want to consider the new Sinbad animated picture. I think she provides a voice for a character in that film. That is the total of film credits that I know for her. I really haven't seen that much of her material either.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 13 Jul 2003 :  14:22:42  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am really not sure about Christopher Judge for Szass Tam though. Although I guess that all comes down to how you define what a Lich actually sounds like when they talk.

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 13 Jul 2003 :  14:25:41  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, I knew about Sinbad -- I'd noticed it on one of the comercials for it that I'd seen. Didn't recognize her voice, but they did show a one-and-a-half-second shot of her doing the voice acting, along with the other main characters.

I might rent it sometime, if only to see how much they butchered the original tale by Disneyfying it. (Okay, that's probably unkind, but if I expect the worst then I won't be disapointed, right?)

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 13 Jul 2003 :  14:31:12  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Works for me .

On a side-note: I enjoyed Treasure Planet (if only for the slight resemblance it had to the Spelljammer setting).

Edited by - The Sage on 13 Jul 2003 14:31:55
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 13 Jul 2003 :  14:32:34  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmm. I hadn't thought of it in that way. Perhaps I'll see it sometime.

Go to Top of Page

Mournblade
Master of Realmslore

USA
1287 Posts

Posted - 15 Jul 2003 :  03:44:37  Show Profile Send Mournblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmmmm... I don't think James Earl Jones works for Manshoon. I picture him a little less deep. Lets see... Max Von Sydow... King Osric in COnan the Barbarian, and Emperor Ming in the latest Flash Gordon release form 1981. I think he would work as Manshoon.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 15 Jul 2003 :  06:08:29  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The voice of Manshoon is indeed a difficult one to place. You need someone who represents all that Manshoon is, played through a vocal medium.

Hmm...I have an old list from the old WotC FR forums. I check it when I get home to see what some of the suggestions are on that thread.

Go to Top of Page

MuadDib
Senior Scribe

South Africa
442 Posts

Posted - 15 Jul 2003 :  12:13:51  Show Profile  Visit MuadDib's Homepage Send MuadDib a Private Message  Reply with Quote
i thought about James Earl Jones for Szass Tam, not for Manshoon

I think manshoon should be someone much more slippery and evil than James Earl Jones....no idea who though

just a thought

who would make a good Volo?

Edited by - MuadDib on 15 Jul 2003 12:14:22
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 15 Jul 2003 :  13:39:10  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ah...Volo. Hmm...that is indeed a difficult role to cast. Although he has played a dwarf, John Rhys-Davies portrayal of Leonardo da Vinci in 'Voyager' has convinced me enough to think he could portray a pretty convincing Volo.

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 15 Jul 2003 :  14:59:37  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I never noticed that . . . of course, I haven't watched any of those episodes since well before Fellowship came out.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 15 Jul 2003 :  17:28:31  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I only remember mainly because as I have stated before, Leonardo is a source of inspiration for me.

Go to Top of Page

Mournblade
Master of Realmslore

USA
1287 Posts

Posted - 15 Jul 2003 :  23:18:38  Show Profile Send Mournblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sage of Perth

Ah...Volo. Hmm...that is indeed a difficult role to cast. Although he has played a dwarf, John Rhys-Davies portrayal of Leonardo da Vinci in 'Voyager' has convinced me enough to think he could portray a pretty convincing Volo.

My enjoyment of Star Trek has completely Disintegrated since I became a scientist. I used to love the show. As Carl Sagan said... Star Trek should be used to teach Science and not transmit false ideas.

(i.e. dumb aliens in voyager putting Molecular Bar codes on DNA, And the Doctor saying, the DNA is mutating before my eyes!!!!)

And DON'T get me started on the cop out of the pregenetaor race that started life through the same DNA.... WHATEVER!!! I like fantasy becasue it cannot possibly mess up science.

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 16 Jul 2003 :  00:58:56  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ooo . . . yes, I know how you feel. Of course, my dislikes in it tend to mistakes that run more to the physics . . . . For instance, second episode of Voyager: they find a 'hole' in an event horizon . . . .

::cringe::

Other things include: freezing things to below absolute zero; aliens made of dark matter, aliens made of pure energy (at which point they'd exist at the speed of light and time would run infinitely slow for them) . . . .

Star Trek was fine at the start. It used to be they didn't feel a need to be so 'scientific' about everything. It's a rare story that can do that and be right. Robert L. Forward is one of the few authors who can do that; in fact, he can be too scientific for some (not me though).

The first mistake they made, of course, was the transporter. But that I forgive; it was because for such a low-budget show, they couldn't afford a landable starship model. Not even a shuttlecraft. It's all the explanations latter to "fix" it that ruined it.

It might sound monotonous, but I'd like to hold up David Weber as another example. In this Honor Harrington series, he goes into great detail about how the tactics work, how the technology helps -- but he shies away from the actual science, doing it so well that you never notice unless you're looking for it.

In fact, there are only two mistakes in the entire series (10 books, 4 anthologies). One (gravity propagates at hundreds of times that of light) is necessary for the story, and we only have the math to say that it goes at light speed. The second (you still need inertial compensators when using a gravity-based drive) is easily fudged.

Even when he does use some science, like with the aforementioned gravity drive, he just refers to "the physics of the impeller drive" as a reason. Nothing about "Einstinian compensators" or any such things.

I suppose we'd better stop this discussion, though, however much I enjoy it . . . I'm surprised Alaudo hasn't cast a silence spell already!

Edited by - Bookwyrm on 16 Jul 2003 01:00:27
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 16 Jul 2003 :  02:13:49  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
While both of your points are valid and I agree to a certain extent with them, especially about the physical nature of the science of Star Trek, I would just like to remind you both that at it's core, Star Trek is SCIENCE FICTION, rather than SCIENCE FACT. It's seems that many people like to conveniently forget this so that they can justify claims which seek to attack the core of this particular genre.

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 16 Jul 2003 :  03:22:09  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's not so much that as the distracting, blatant errors . . . . I like Star Trek, especially the new series. (I suppose part of that liking is because they don't have the drive to "Make it look like science" at least in part.) The thing is, Star Trek used to be about the human condition, rather than the stuff we're disliking.

Don't tell me you don't wince every time the alien Plot Device plugs right into the Starfleet-issue console like a Microsof peripheral into a USB port . . . .

There're a lot of things that I don't like about the whole franchise, but I don't hate it. That was one of the reasons I was writing a fanfic for Voyager, where it was half about exploring the story, and half about fixing it. Little things, mostly. Like an explanation for why Starfleet ships are all aerodynamically streamlined, even though they're in space. Space combat would be more realistic; the Doctor's capabilites are different. Why you can "draw power from the warp engines" to power other things -- such as the replicators and transporters. Why sensors can detect "bio-signs" remotely.

Needless to say, it's non-canon. It branches off in a big way somewhere in the fifth season. Or so.

::sigh:: Once again, I hope Alaundo doesn't get mad . . . .

Edited by - Bookwyrm on 16 Jul 2003 03:22:45
Go to Top of Page

Mournblade
Master of Realmslore

USA
1287 Posts

Posted - 16 Jul 2003 :  06:11:49  Show Profile Send Mournblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like the science fiction Genre, I just don't like Star Trek becasue they are so blatantly science FICTION and not fact. Good sci-fi is based on fact and not just hokus pokus. I love STAR WARS. But I do not consider that Science Fiction (the force). But they make no explanation in the movies of the tech, so it works.

I liked Next Generation, but then they made Deep Space 90210 and botched everything up. Then they made Voyager with MORE redundant characters, and MORE bad science.

Science Fiction is great. Unfortunately people associate science fiction with Star Trek.

Go to Top of Page

MuadDib
Senior Scribe

South Africa
442 Posts

Posted - 16 Jul 2003 :  06:14:54  Show Profile  Visit MuadDib's Homepage Send MuadDib a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well TGN i guess i would have to say was the bets Star Trek, but then each time i see Voyager on i have to watch it

The intro music is SO much better, and well, there is Seven. And while she may not be all that, she's a whole lot better than nothing.

Like Dex in deep space nine, kinda makes sci-fi more worthwhile

Go to Top of Page

Mournblade
Master of Realmslore

USA
1287 Posts

Posted - 16 Jul 2003 :  06:15:23  Show Profile Send Mournblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh I found a manshoon!!!!!

I was just watching TRON tonight. David Warner would make a great Manshoon. He was the second in command of the Master Control Program. He also played the Evil Genius in Time Bandits. He has a very slick EVIL voice, which still has confidence and power. As the EVIL Genius from TIme Bandits it is an easy jump to see him play Manshoon.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 16 Jul 2003 :  07:13:05  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ah...David Warner. I believe that is an excellent choice for Manshoon, Mournblade. I maybe a little unsure about who he is exactly though, so please bear with me as I again digress a little from the topic.

Correct me if I am wrong but David Warner portrayed St. Talbot in Star Trek V: The Final Frontier, Chancellor Gorkon in Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country, and the Cardassian Inquistor in the TNG two-part episode Chain of Command did he not.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 16 Jul 2003 :  07:27:38  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh, and Mournblade, I would alter your original post about people associating science fiction with Star Trek. I was slightly offended by that. Not all people, science fiction fans in particular, think that way. Some of us (like myself who deal with the mathematical and physical world in their jobs) simply see it as one possible direction for science fiction to go (no matter how hap-hazard or misdirected the direction may be). Like most of the sci-fi fans here, we have all been exposed to different mediums through which the sci-fi genre has been transmitted. Whether in written or visual form, there are many interpretations of science fiction, just as there are different types of fantasy, whether it be low-fantasy, high fantasy, or everything between. The multipile types of sci-fi are as infinite as the possibilities that can be explored in the genre. If sci-fi conformed to closely with science fact, what would be the point of it all then?.

It is crucial to remember that people have different tastes and different likes. It is unfair to assume that just because one group of people like one way of telling a story that is completely different from your own personal view, that way of story telling is wrong or misdirected.

Sorry for this major digrestion, but I felt that his point needed to be addressed.

::The Sage quickly triggers his ring of Dimension Door, before the wise Alaundo arrives with his Staff of the Irritated Moderator::

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 7 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000