Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Tiefling Lore
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

isaacc
Acolyte

Canada
1 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2008 :  20:12:02  Show Profile  Visit isaacc's Homepage Send isaacc a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hi all. I'm hoping I can solicit your help in coming up with a metaplot related to Tieflings in FR.

The situation is that we have a new motivated group coming together. We have decided upon D&D4E and we would like to live in FR. I have a shelfload of pre-FR4E FR stuff but I never really delved into it more than that as I was a player instead of a DM.

I would like to come up with a meta-plot for our campaign, leaving clues here and there, that will ultimately lead to some engaging story-telling.

This is our D&D4E group:

Half-Elf - Ranger
Tiefling - Rogue
Dragonborn - Warlord
Tiefling - Wizard
Dwarf - Fighter

The story effects I'm looking for include, "oh my God, who'd a thunk it" as well as characters each following their own path, each not aware of the others'. If you are a fan of Babylon 5, I'm hoping for moments like when it is revealed that Sinclair is/was Valen.

I have been searching up and down trying to find some Tiefling-related hooks, plot, storyline, whatever. What I have found is that FR4E stuff does not exist yet and other FR resources that mention Tieflings I do not own. I plan on snagging a copy of The Grand History of the Realms.

I'm going in circles because the FR4E stuff is not out yet and I'm just out of my depth with respect to FR lore. So, I'm hoping that you guys can help. These are my idea notes thus far, not more than musings really.

I would like to centre the meta-plot around the two Tieflings in the party. I expect that connecting the other characters won't be as difficult.

The Two Tieflings: Zack & Seth
------------------------------

1. They are both psychicly linked to something. Maybe each other but probably not as they would quickly realize they are perceiving each other's lives. Probably a third party. Who? Malvolent? Good?

2. They hear voices from time to time that point out important things; "go to that store", "pick up that book". The voice also tells them certain things about their history or what they have to do. The important thing is that the two Tieflings don't pick up on the fact that they are both communicating with the same agent.

3. Each Tiefling has a birthmark, a scar, on their back just below the neckline. They can feel it with their fingers. Neither knows what the scar is. Each scar is an ornate figure. They are two halves of ...something...

4. One clue is that each Tiefling finds the same figure as their scar, as a a carving in stone in a dungeon. The same dungeon/adventure? Different dungeons/adventures?

5. Tie this into a FR/Tiefling prophecy.

6. The Tieflings were once at war with the DragonBorn. Long ago a very high level Tiefling Cleric put a curse on the Dragonborn...The Cleric now communicates with the two Tieflings from another Plane. He cannot manifest on the material plane and needs the two Tieflings to act for him. Or, this Tiefling cleric now resides on the other FR planet (what's it called again?).

7. How does this connect with the Dragonborn? Half-elf? Dwarf? The Tieflings and Dragonborn had a war?

If any FR loremasters would chime in, I sure would appreciate it. I basically am looking to nail down just enough to proceed before the FR4E guides come out and noy have to contradict myself later on. My understanding is that the FR4E content is new and changes a lot but does not contradict FR canon.

Thanks.

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2008 :  22:25:57  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, keep in mind that in 2E and 3E, tieflings were not connected to any other race -- the dragonborn/tiefling thing is a new bit of lore, specifically for Core. It shouldn't have any bearing on the Realms.

So your tieflings can come from anywhere in the Realms (I think the Narfell area is great for tieflings, myself), and they don't need to have a connection to the dragonborn. So you could connect them to anyone or anything else...

One of my adventure hooks dealt with two brothers, one of whom was a tiefling. After the two, who were formerly quite close, had a falling out, the tiefling brother decided to get his revenge by summoning his fiendish ancestor.

So you could use something like that, instead of a cleric and dragonborn, as their backstory.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2008 :  01:13:19  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

So your tieflings can come from anywhere in the Realms (I think the Narfell area is great for tieflings, myself), and they don't need to have a connection to the dragonborn. So you could connect them to anyone or anything else...
Races of Faerūn notes that most of the tieflings found in Faerūn are derived from bloodlines that have originated in both Mulhorand and Thay.

Tieflings also exist in fair numbers in Impiltur, Damara, the Great Dale and Thesk. Each region has its own slightly different view on them.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 26 Jul 2008 :  10:21:32  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mask even has a line of tieflings, they have no mirror images.

they hail from westgate, and there is no surprise there, although imo they could just as easily come from amn

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000