Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Reghed Glacier and Evermelt
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Kyrene
Senior Scribe

South Africa
740 Posts

Posted - 23 Apr 2008 :  09:06:46  Show Profile  Visit Kyrene's Homepage Send Kyrene a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
My question is a simple one, but I expect will not have a simple answer, if one at all. Has the Reghed Glacier been in retreat since 1370 DR, thereby leaving Evermelt 'high and dry' in the moraine?

I ask this because the westernmost ice front of the glacier is far further west and south on the The North map, than on the 3rd Edition Forgotten Realms map.

If this is the case, it also poses some complications for anyone still wanting to enrich themselves from Icingdeath's hoard, however that is not my primary concern. I merely wish to make sure of the position of Evermelt.

Lost for words? Find them in the Glossary of Phrases, Sayings & Words of the Realms

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 23 Apr 2008 :  13:45:06  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Keep in mind that the 3E map had a lot of empty spaces removed and condensed. Having too much open land was for some reason considered a bad thing.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 23 Apr 2008 :  15:06:23  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Keep in mind that the 3E map had a lot of empty spaces removed and condensed. Having too much open land was for some reason considered a bad thing.

And now they want all that space back (ie. "Faerun is too developed").

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 23 Apr 2008 :  15:30:07  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

IIRC they wanted to squeeze the entire Map of Faerun into a different format as well, thereby moving parts slightly here and twisting and banding other parts there.

This resulted in various wierd things. Just to name one that I came across very resently: the village of Wheloon in Cormyr being suddenly furhter to the north and east than before and the roads course was changed too to still go through the village.

Your obsavation about the Reghed Glacier and Evermelt most likely results from this map change as well.

"Das Gras weht im Wind, wenn der Wind weht."
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 23 Apr 2008 :  15:32:28  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

quote:

And now they want all that space back (ie. "Faerun is too developed").

Yeah, it's kind of ironic that now anything that went before is bad, unless it's the special baby of one of the members of the 4E team.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 23 Apr 2008 :  18:34:10  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Talk about going WAY off-topic.

I hate 4e as much as the next guy, but we have enough threads for that.

The answer to your question is NO - officialy, THAT glacier is NOT in retreat (as of any canon source). Pelvuria IS in retreat, which is why Vassa has appeared 'from the ice' as of the 1e CS. The High Ice is also in retreat, probably do to icey winds no longer coming down from once-nearby Pelvuria (which extends all the way north), and also in part from the Phaerimm's 'life draining' magics no longer taking their toll. Also, I believe the Shades 'did something' to help further melt the northern ice (to create moisture in the air, I believe, to revitalize Anauroch). Not entirely positive there, because I avoided that particular novel series.

The maps, as several people have mentioned, do indeed show the ice further from the settled regions, but that was primarily do to the vast changes made to the maps between editions. Those changes did NOT happen 'in game', and therefore never got an explanation. Because of that, you should assume the new position of the Reghed Glacier is 'where it always was', and the earlier maps were somewhat incorrect.

However, considering the ice is indeed retreating across other northern (and mountaintop) Glaciers, and all of that ice is really connected and part of a much larger ice-field (the north pole), you can easily say that the Reghed Glacier is also losing some ground as well, in your game, if that is your wish.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Kyrene
Senior Scribe

South Africa
740 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2008 :  11:15:38  Show Profile  Visit Kyrene's Homepage Send Kyrene a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Because of that, you should assume the new position of the Reghed Glacier is 'where it always was', and the earlier maps were somewhat incorrect.

However, considering the ice is indeed retreating across other northern (and mountaintop) Glaciers, and all of that ice is really connected and part of a much larger ice-field (the north pole), you can easily say that the Reghed Glacier is also losing some ground as well, in your game, if that is your wish.

If you look at this small map of Icewind Dale, would you advise I put Evermelt somewhere in the green circle as on the lefthand map, or somewhere in the purple circle with the Reghed Glacier extended -- but in retreat for five or so years since 1370 DR -- as on the righthand map?

Edit 1: Cleaned up the URL.

Lost for words? Find them in the Glossary of Phrases, Sayings & Words of the Realms

Edited by - Kyrene on 26 Jul 2008 15:44:02
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 29 Apr 2008 :  19:52:24  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Who modified the second one? Nicely done.

Anyhow, if it were me, I would say the second one, because it fits better with the story, which took place BEFORE the maps were modified in 3e.

I'm a HUGE proponent of 'putting things back the way the were' , by modding the 3e maps to better fit with the older ones.

Also, the second map appears to be a very nice compromise, showing some melting, while still maintaining the crucial part near Ten Towns. I think I will most certainly use that on the newer version of the North map I'm doing. I'm not an official source or anything, but whenever I run into discrepencies between 2e and 3e locales, I try to 'split the difference', and that second map there is an excellent example of that.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 02 May 2008 00:12:54
Go to Top of Page

Kyrene
Senior Scribe

South Africa
740 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2008 :  10:35:07  Show Profile  Visit Kyrene's Homepage Send Kyrene a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Who modified the second one? Nicely done.

Anyhow, if it were me, I would say the second one, because it fits better with the story, which took place BEFORE the maps were modified in 3e.

I'm a HUGE proponent of 'putting things back the way the were' , by modding the 3e maps to better fit with the older ones.

Also, the second map appears to be a very nice compromise, showing some melting, while still maintaining the crucial part near Ten Towns.

I can at times be very handy with my Paint Shop Pro and layers. I blame my wife, the real artist in our family. Compromise is often by neccessity. I didn't want to also 'lift and clean' the word "Reghed", and that forced the shape of the added glacier to a large extent. Lazyness I know...

quote:
I think I will most certainly use that on the newer version of the North map I'm doing. I'm not an official source or anything, but whenever I run into descrepencies between 2e and 3e locales, I try to 'split the difference', and that second map there is an excellent example of that.

You are welcome to have/use my original master copy to work from. Once I JPEG, it loses a little bit of definition. I shall publish a link to the completed map in an edit/new post to this thread when I get home this afternoon.

Edit 1: Since I've been lucky enough that nobody has replied since I last wrote here, here is the edit with the links:
For the Sword Coast North map (including Neverwinter Nights 2 locations)
For the Sword Coast North map (only canon locations)

Please Note: these are merely my interpretation of places of interest, geographical locations and civilized settlements using the WotC 3rd Edition map and merging in the relevant The North elements.

Edit 2: Cleaned up the URLs now that I know how.

Edited by - Kyrene on 26 Jul 2008 15:43:03
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 02 May 2008 :  00:16:25  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you for the links - very nicely done.

Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 02 May 2008 :  21:13:57  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Agreed.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Kyrene
Senior Scribe

South Africa
740 Posts

Posted - 26 Jul 2008 :  16:04:58  Show Profile  Visit Kyrene's Homepage Send Kyrene a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just a quick update, since I have also now added elements from the City of Splendors FORGOTTEN REALMSŪ Web Enhancement: Environs of Waterdeep. This has meant that the locations of Amphail village and Goldenfields has changed, as well as the Waterdeep-Red Larch section of the Long Road. Westwood is now also back on the map.

Please Note: these are merely my interpretation of places of interest, geographical locations and civilized settlements using the WotC 3rd Edition map and merging in the relevant The North and Environs of Waterdeep elements. I consider the scope of these maps to be anything north and west of the Long Road and lower River Dessarin.

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 26 Jul 2008 :  18:36:50  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'll have to check that out - I was unaware that they had been moved.

When I completed the terrain of my North Map, I used your Glacial outline - very nce.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000