Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Heroic and Historic figures
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Senbar Flay
Learned Scribe

185 Posts

Posted - 10 Feb 2005 :  03:20:15  Show Profile  Visit Senbar Flay's Homepage Send Senbar Flay a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Salutations'Greetings'Hello'and so on

I have read through some of my FR books and It seems to many a great many leaders and kings have done some great accomplishments and deeds in their lives. So I am trying to compile a list of some these men (or women) of Destiny. If you wouldn't mind could anyone willing give a name and possibly a sentance discribing what they did.

Imagination is more important than knowledge for knowledge is limited imagination encircles the world.- Albert Einstein

DDH_101
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1272 Posts

Posted - 10 Feb 2005 :  03:33:49  Show Profile  Visit DDH_101's Homepage Send DDH_101 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmm... well here are two:

King Azoun IV - Perhap one of the greatest kings of Cormyr, Azoun was Cormyr's most popular and respected monarch. He was a veteran of many battles, the most well-known were his battle with the Tuigan Horde and the duel with the red dragon Devil Dragon, Nalavara.

King Zoar - Evermeet's first and only king who united the elves of Evermeet together. During his rule, he made the Island of Elves stronger with wise decision-making, and also fought against flights of dragons and drow attacks.

"Trust in the shadows, for the bright way makes you an easy target." -Mask
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 10 Feb 2005 :  04:27:10  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DDH_101
King Zoar - Evermeet's first and only king who united the elves of Evermeet together. During his rule, he made the Island of Elves stronger with wise decision-making, and also fought against flights of dragons and drow attacks.

And survivor of the Fall of Myth Drannor too.
Go to Top of Page

DDH_101
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1272 Posts

Posted - 10 Feb 2005 :  04:58:42  Show Profile  Visit DDH_101's Homepage Send DDH_101 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ah, yes forgot about that. He was one of the last to escape Myth Drannor.

Go to Top of Page

Hymn
Senior Scribe

Sweden
514 Posts

Posted - 10 Feb 2005 :  09:06:06  Show Profile Send Hymn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmm what about:

King Brior, (elf, something one could assume fighter since he was the elven warleader)the first king of Aglarond. He was the one responsible for uniting the country after years of strige between the "pure" humans and the half-elves and their elven allies. He was also the one responsible for the construction of Emmech and the wall of Giants.

Just a thought

Sauro moki kara ochiro - Even monkeys falls from trees.

The path that leads to truth is littered with the bodies of the ignorant - Miyamoto Musashi
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6648 Posts

Posted - 10 Feb 2005 :  10:49:53  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hymn

Hmm what about:

King Brior, (elf, something one could assume fighter since he was the elven warleader)the first king of Aglarond. He was the one responsible for uniting the country after years of strige between the "pure" humans and the half-elves and their elven allies. He was also the one responsible for the construction of Emmech and the wall of Giants.

Just a thought

That would be Brindor.

I'd also plump for King Imphras Heltharn "the Great" re-unifier of Impiltur, conqueror of the hobgoblin horde and all-round goody-two-shoes.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend
Forgotten Realms Designer & Author

USA
1707 Posts

Posted - 10 Feb 2005 :  14:37:02  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just curious, but what do we use for the benchmark on determining the "greatness" of a heroic/historic figure?

Azoun pops up immediately due to equal parts heroism (dragon fighting, stopping the Horde, etc.) and familiarity (he's the biggest named king in FR lore from 1987 forward).

So, how do we judge the importance and impact of rulers and/or figures? By what is common FR public knowledge? By what we as readers/writers know?

Obviously, we should bump out the villainous just by nature of the topic name, so that drops out Fzoul and Manshoon and Szass Tam, etc.

But what about things that are sliver's edge away from forgotten if known at all? Do we laud Elminster as the Sage of Shadowdale or the Last Prince of Athalantar or neither?

One of the reasons for this stream-of-consciousness rambling is me thinking on the many kings and queens I dropped into history via Cormanthyr, Lands of Intrigue, Sea of Fallen Stars, ad nauseum. Who's to judge which are heroic and important historically?

I'd bet dollars to doughnuts that if pressed (and given time to reread notes and printed matter) I could wring a tale of great heroism out of nearly 75% of the rulers named in Tethyr, Seros, or the many elven realms before or after the Crown Wars.

All that said, here're my votes for important CONTEMPORARY and ALIVE heroic rulers (leaving aside adventurers and sages):

Alustriel, Lady Hope of Silverymoon
The Simbul of Aglarond
The Steel Regent Alusair
Queen Monarch Zaranda Rhindaun of Tethyr (I'm highly biased here )

As an after-thought, what're people's opinions of the rulers of the Moonshaes? And is there a public bias/perception problem with seeing any good/heroic rulers over in Sembia?

Steven
Who thinks that all he's done with Khelben makes his public profile too murky to have more than a 56% approval rating in what he does (i.e. nearly as many think he's a villain as think he's a hero)

For current projects and general natter, see www.steveneschend.com
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 10 Feb 2005 :  18:55:24  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well met

I'd be very interested in seeing this collated work, Senbar Flay, upon completion. It would be a great resource of the Realms and I'd be happy to include it on a scroll herein at Candlekeep. Great idea

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Ty
Learned Scribe

USA
168 Posts

Posted - 10 Feb 2005 :  22:28:11  Show Profile  Visit Ty's Homepage Send Ty a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Gareth Dragonsbane... (yes, I'm the heretic here bringing it up.)

One other once upon a time hero having a second go of it thanks to Mr. Richard Baker seems to be Fflar. Great novel and I can't wait for the second.

Emerus Warcrown. Used surprise tactics to reclaim Citadel Felbarr. Wow, we gotses sneakies dwarfs now.

Okay, I'm done rambling for now or else Wooly may sic a herd of miniature giant space hamsters on me.
Go to Top of Page

DDH_101
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1272 Posts

Posted - 10 Feb 2005 :  23:54:15  Show Profile  Visit DDH_101's Homepage Send DDH_101 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Gareth Dragonsbane is a very good candidate... After all, he defeated Zhengyi the Witch-King plus he united all of Damara together. It was really nice to see him having a role in The Rite.

BTW, I'm surprised to see that no one mentioned Queen Amlauril. As the elven saying goes "Amlauril is not merely the Queen of Evermeet: Amlauril is Evermeet."

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2005 :  01:22:44  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ty

Okay, I'm done rambling for now or else Wooly may sic a herd of miniature giant space hamsters on me.

Nah, I reserve that punishment for evil acts, like insulting me or mocking me with a copy of a sourcebook I can't buy until next week...

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Senbar Flay
Learned Scribe

185 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2005 :  01:44:57  Show Profile  Visit Senbar Flay's Homepage Send Senbar Flay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well first of all I would like to say this is indeed an assortment and I will use them all and keep em comin too.Ones both alive and dead.. As to answer Stevens qwestion It is really up to the individual that's why I might get a diffrent assortment wich I like. For some people would consider acts of Valour and honor and killing evil heroism. But your next door neighbour might be a hero for helping you in your time of need or being a father too you if your paretns are dead. But I am not asking the peoples of Faerun(They are the ones who might use the latter)The benchmark I am using for this particular thread is indeed acts of ValourVirtu etc... so please do contiune listing. oh and if it's possible just give some qwick stats EX:(LGhumanwiz17) For those already posted i'll find the stats if they have some.

Imagination is more important than knowledge for knowledge is limited imagination encircles the world.- Albert Einstein

Edited by - Senbar Flay on 11 Feb 2005 02:05:06
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2005 :  04:28:18  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Steven Schend

Just curious, but what do we use for the benchmark on determining the "greatness" of a heroic/historic figure?

Azoun pops up immediately due to equal parts heroism (dragon fighting, stopping the Horde, etc.) and familiarity (he's the biggest named king in FR lore from 1987 forward).

And is there a public bias/perception problem with seeing any good/heroic rulers over in Sembia?

Good points, in all of your post. Sembia, for example, is often seen as something of an "evil" (or at least, not so good) realm...I know that much simply from reading various threads on the subject of nations.

Also, the term "men and women of Destiny" was used. Why should that only apply to monarchs, anyway? Some people are movers and shakers, but have no desire to rule (like Storm Silverhand).

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2005 :  18:46:12  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A conversation that's more than once sounded out in drinking-halls of Suzail and Waterdeep.

I think Faerūn's rulers, warriors and mages have enough attention already, and would put up someone like Jhaele Silvermane for 'great'.

With Sembia, the nominal ruler rarely has strong power because of all the other merchant interests.
Go to Top of Page

Senbar Flay
Learned Scribe

185 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2005 :  03:36:12  Show Profile  Visit Senbar Flay's Homepage Send Senbar Flay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Remember keep em comin I need those hero's eh!

Go to Top of Page

Beowulf
Learned Scribe

Canada
322 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2005 :  16:16:19  Show Profile  Visit Beowulf's Homepage Send Beowulf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Steven Schend

As an after-thought, what're people's opinions of the rulers of the Moonshaes? And is there a public bias/perception problem with seeing any good/heroic rulers over in Sembia?

I've always tended to regard heroism and greatness as distinct things. Heroism directly impacts a particular group of people in a very significant and beneficial way. The judge of whether it was "beneficial" or "significant", or not, being up to the people in question to decide.

Greatness I would define as being more akin to mere "fame" or "reputation". It is the intellectual knowledge of a persons deeds, good or bad, minus the emotive link that comes with having benefitted/suffered from those deeds.

As for the rulers and folk of the Moonshaes; I'd be tempted to say that these folk are the authors of heroic significance and that their society is precision tuned for the cream to rise. Most likely, foreigners would greet any talk of Moonshavian heroes with a blank stare, but the ignorance, I would tend to think, would be more or less mutual. Afterall, virtuall none of the heroes known and celebrated across mainland Faerun have any impact of the Isles. In fact, most of the impact the mainland has on the isles acts as a catalyst ofr the emergence of new heroes amongst the Moonshaevians. Damned mainlanders.

As for Sembia; doesn't everyone enjoy quality of life? A lifestyle just a bit above the next guy? Well, Sembia provides these things in a direct manner; whereas the warlord merely opens up the oppurtunies for such things ... or secures them. So, why shouldn't any of the merchant rulers of Sembia be heroic or famous? What about Selgar? Or Rauthauvyr? The various other "founding fathers". Certainly the Sembians themselves must regard such figures quite highly, if no one else.

Here's to quantum physics!

"Ill tempered the wretch, who laughs at everyone. He cannot recognize, as he should, that he is not without faults." the High One, Poetic Edda
Go to Top of Page

Beowulf
Learned Scribe

Canada
322 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2005 :  16:42:49  Show Profile  Visit Beowulf's Homepage Send Beowulf a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Oh. As for a hero of "historical significance" ...

Hmmmm. From the p.o.v. of a Tunlander, one muight think such a villian as Manshoon would, rightly to a degree, be regarded as a hero. He and his Zhentarim did liberate the folk of the Vale from the dark rule of the Lich-Queen, whilst Cormyr stood by, loudly proclaimed the Tunlands within the borders of Cormyr, and did NOTHING.

Historically, this had the effect of aligning a good number of Tunlanders (minus Numac and his Mir) with the Zhentarim, who provided the tribesmen with training, arms and armour, and prompted raids against merchant traffic in and out of Cormyr. Thence emerged Thaalim Torchtower, who "united" a number of the clans of Tun in a (brief?) revolt against Cormyr in the mid-60's.

"Ill tempered the wretch, who laughs at everyone. He cannot recognize, as he should, that he is not without faults." the High One, Poetic Edda
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 13 Feb 2005 :  06:38:28  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Beowulf

As for Sembia; doesn't everyone enjoy quality of life? A lifestyle just a bit above the next guy? Well, Sembia provides these things in a direct manner; whereas the warlord merely opens up the oppurtunies for such things ... or secures them. So, why shouldn't any of the merchant rulers of Sembia be heroic or famous? What about Selgar? Or Rauthauvyr? The various other "founding fathers". Certainly the Sembians themselves must regard such figures quite highly, if no one else.

Good points--there's nothing inherently wrong with wanting to make money and live comfortably...it's not "heroic" but heroic people can still be selfish and/or greedy.

Another thing: a lot of fantasy has, in general, a definite bias against the desire for material comforts (perhaps because of a culture that teaches "money isn't everything" as an ideal, if not an actual practice?).

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

monknwildcat
Learned Scribe

USA
285 Posts

Posted - 28 Jul 2008 :  13:47:25  Show Profile  Visit monknwildcat's Homepage Send monknwildcat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
::waving wand of thread necromancy::

going with heroic rulers:

Zalathorm of Halruaa, for preventing many threats to his realm via his divinations.

the Srinshee of Cormanthyr, for millenia of service and custodianship of the Ruler's Blade.

I'd also echo Dragonsbane, Warcrown, Starr, Alustriel and the Simbul for their legendary accomplishments. Kendrick and Robyn of the Moonshaes, together with the legendary Cymrych Hugh.

That's all I can think of for heroic rulers...
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000