Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Tormtar Sayings
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 06 Dec 2007 :  17:58:44  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I seem to recall in the Tantras module sayings of the Church of Torm. I seem to have lost my copy , if someone could spare the time to have a look and post them I would be most grateful, as we have just kicked off a mini-campaign and I wanted to do the decent thing and say the right words!

thanks in advance

Damian

So saith Ed. I've never said he was sane, have I?
Gods, all this writing and he's running a constant fantasy version of Coronation Street in his head, too. .
shudder,
love to all,
THO
Candlekeep Forum 7 May 2005

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 08 Dec 2007 :  23:04:11  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On p. 28, "the tenets of Torm's faith" are given as "Never sleep without a watchful eye. Never leave a fault or gap in your armor or affairs for another day; fix it today, and you'll never be unready for danger. Guard the weak, watch closely the stronger. A good lock makes for honest guests."
Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 10 Dec 2007 :  11:54:03  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Faraer

On p. 28, "the tenets of Torm's faith" are given as "Never sleep without a watchful eye. Never leave a fault or gap in your armor or affairs for another day; fix it today, and you'll never be unready for danger. Guard the weak, watch closely the stronger. A good lock makes for honest guests."

excellent - thank you very much

Damian

Gods, all this writing and he's running a constant fantasy version of Coronation Street in his head, too. .
shudder,
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 10 Dec 2007 :  18:06:56  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I know you already got your answer, but I thought this might help too.
quote:
Faiths and Pantheons (3e), page 74

Dogma:
Salvation may be found through service. Every failure of duty diminishes Torm and every success adds to his luster. Strive to maintain law and order. Obey your masters with alert judgment and anticipation. Stand ever alert against corruption. Strike quickly and forcefully against rot in the hearts of mortals. Bring painful, quick death to traitors. Question unjust laws by suggesting improvement or alternatives, not additional laws. Your fourfold duties are to faith, family, masters, and all good beings of Faerūn.

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)
Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 10 Dec 2007 :  20:51:40  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by HawkinstheDM

I know you already got your answer, but I thought this might .

thank you - a few that were made up in play last week

A sharp blade is better than a blunt mind

Law is a rock, but not one to which we are chained

Be prepared and ready and your duty will be clear

I'll dig up the rest when i get to play later in the week and post them up here

Cheers

Damian

shudder,
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Talwyn
Learned Scribe

Australia
222 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2008 :  04:38:14  Show Profile  Visit Talwyn's Homepage Send Talwyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
*pulls an old scroll off a dusty shelf, blows the dust away and lays it open to add some new material*

I have this to offer for those who are interested in Torm & his faith. especially now that he has assumed greater god status.

I've had these two codaciles with me for quite some time and thought it may be a good contribution to Candlekeep.

A Tormtars Contemplation on the aspect of Duty

Only through my Death may I complete my Fight and be free of my sins. Only through my Death in battle against Evil people will see that the Loyal Fury stands adamant in His promise to protect them.

Stand every alert against corruption.

Strike quickly and forcefully against rot in the hearts of mortals.

Bring painful, quick death to traitors.

Stern, Righteous, and Unyielding I will be. No quarter will be asked. None shall be given. Every warrior of good who gives his life fighting against Evil will bring forth ten more. Every warrior of evil who is slain, drives ten more out of their ranks.

I have the proof I need. Of them. Of myself. They are Evil. I am worth nothing. So, by giving my life taking them down, I exchange something worthless for better tomorrow. Any merchant would consider that a good deal.

A paladins prayer

Torm, the True God.
Release me from my sins.
Let me face Your enemies,
With my weapons and my Faith.
Let me be the bringer of Your Justice,
and deliver this World of them.
I place my soul on Your hands,
and my worthless body before You.
I ask only for Strength and Conviction,
to bring down Forces of Evil and Darkness.
Victory or Defeat,
Life or Death,
I care not.
I only pray that I will bring Honour to Your Name,
And Your Justice for all.

Over the centuries, mankind has tried many ways of combating the forces of evil...prayer, fasting, good works and so on.
Up until Doom, no one seemed to have thought about the double-barrel shotgun.
EAT LEADEN DEATH DEMON!
Terry Pratchett

Edited by - Talwyn on 20 Jul 2008 04:43:18
Go to Top of Page

Talwyn
Learned Scribe

Australia
222 Posts

Posted - 25 Jul 2008 :  01:31:10  Show Profile  Visit Talwyn's Homepage Send Talwyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd add this as a Tormtar saying even though its from "The Transformers", I belive it is totally appropriate for worshippers of Torm especially considering what was done in the battle against Bane during the ToT. [I always thought that was probably one of the most inspiring moments of realms canon btw ]

"No sacrifice, No victory"

Over the centuries, mankind has tried many ways of combating the forces of evil...prayer, fasting, good works and so on.
Up until Doom, no one seemed to have thought about the double-barrel shotgun.
EAT LEADEN DEATH DEMON!
Terry Pratchett

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000