Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Is Mithril copyrighted?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Horatio
Seeker

Israel
59 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2008 :  19:59:15  Show Profile  Visit Horatio's Homepage Send Horatio a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I realize this isn't a LotR forum, but maybe you can help me. I'd like to know if Mithril is a copyrighted concept by Tolkien, so if I write a fantasy novel with it, should I change the name or can I use Mithril?

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2008 :  20:58:42  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Words and concepts aren't subject to copyright; the question is whether the word 'mithril' is trademarked. To my knowledge (and per Wikipedia), it isn't; I'm pretty sure no one (including TSR) who used it in print has been sued by the Tolkien estate. But I'm not a lawyer, so don't go getting sued on my account. Artistically, though, it would grate to use mithril except in a story set in Middle-earth, and would help get your novel dismissed by publishers, if they saw it, as derivative genre fantasy.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2008 :  22:33:04  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Technically it is not copyrighted - even if it were, it has been used in games, comics, and other media since the 70's, and is therefore an undefended IP, and has become public domain because of that.

The Tolkien estate might challenge you for using it in a novel, but they would lose because of the above.

However, Faraer is quite correct, and no publishing house would take you seriously if you used it.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 19 Jul 2008 22:33:45
Go to Top of Page

IngoDjan
Learned Scribe

Brazil
146 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2008 :  23:36:02  Show Profile  Visit IngoDjan's Homepage Send IngoDjan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Of course!

Ingo Djan
DUNGEON MASTER AO OF THE DIAMONDS!
"I see the future repeat the past. It all is a museum of great news. The Time do not stop."
Go to Top of Page

Horatio
Seeker

Israel
59 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2008 :  00:19:20  Show Profile  Visit Horatio's Homepage Send Horatio a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's a good point, I was thinking it might be a good basis to dismiss it, I just thought Mithril became a widespread concept that exists in D&D and the Forgotten Realms too. In fact, several minutes before I made this thread I thought it was an actual mineral on planet earth, so excuse my ignorance and thanks for the replies, I'll definitely not be using it.

Edited by - Horatio on 20 Jul 2008 00:20:30
Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2008 :  04:13:16  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Also, adamantine actually comes from Greek mythology, so it cannot be copyrighted as well (there was some story about some guy with an adamantine scythe, but I do not remember much more of the details than that ).

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2008 :  04:27:39  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
3.5 used the spelling "Mithral" instead of "Mithril" for what was obviously the same material.
Go to Top of Page

Ranak
Learned Scribe

USA
190 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2008 :  09:21:18  Show Profile  Visit Ranak's Homepage Send Ranak a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Jupiter wielded an adamantine scythe in his battle against Typhon. In Roman mythology I believe Jupiter was largely comparable to Zeus in Greek mythology.

quote:
Originally posted by HawkinstheDM

Also, adamantine actually comes from Greek mythology, so it cannot be copyrighted as well (there was some story about some guy with an adamantine scythe, but I do not remember much more of the details than that ).

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2008 :  11:06:43  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ranak

Jupiter wielded an adamantine scythe in his battle against Typhon. In Roman mythology I believe Jupiter was largely comparable to Zeus in Greek mythology.

Indeed. In fact, I read somewhere that the word "Jupiter" is simply a corruption of "Zeus pater", or "father Zeus".

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Haplo
Acolyte

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2014 :  21:36:57  Show Profile Send Haplo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If it is used by Tolkien, and also by D&D, does that make it more of an accepted fantasy piece? Like elves and dwarves? WHat I mean is that can it just be used in a novel to explain an uncommonly hard and light ore?

"Yap yap, little dog."
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2014 :  22:57:14  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Haplo

If it is used by Tolkien, and also by D&D, does that make it more of an accepted fantasy piece? Like elves and dwarves? WHat I mean is that can it just be used in a novel to explain an uncommonly hard and light ore?

Most likely yes, but as Faraer noted, it would be seen as derivative, at best.

You'd be better making some similar material, with a different name... Especially if there was some secret process/mixture needed to get it so strong and light.

Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4429 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2014 :  22:58:13  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Horatio

I realize this isn't a LotR forum, but maybe you can help me. I'd like to know if Mithril is a copyrighted concept by Tolkien, so if I write a fantasy novel with it, should I change the name or can I use Mithril?

No, it's not copyrighted and I disagree that using such a term would discredit your story. Considering that mithral is used quite often in many D&D novels and fantasy genre overall.
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2014 :  23:29:38  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A single word can not be copyrighted, it could only be trade marked. TSR tried to trademark Drow and a few other words, however failed in those efforts because they could not meet the burden of proof that they could trademark it. TSR however was able to trademark other words that were unique enough to be their IP.

Mithril as far as I know was never granted trademark protection.
Copyright comes into play when using a series of words. One person I know indicated five exact words that appeared in copyright material was a level of concern about possible violation of a copyright. It clearly can depend on what five words. "To be or not to be?" Six words, any copyright they ever had has expired.

It of course is always prudent to invent new words for anything trademarked and crafted in such a way that copyright is not violated. Of course even fan, not for profit, use does not protect from a violation of protected material.

In one way you could use Mithril is provide credit to a Tolkien or TSR product as a foot note to avoid legal some legal issues, clearly it would be best if you get in writing assurance from governmental, TSR/WotC or the Tolkien estate that there is held no legal claim of use of the word.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7970 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2014 :  23:35:45  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Many fantasy authors (and sci-fi authors, too) sidestep such issues by inventing and naming their own exotic substances. Usually some detailed explanation about fantastic materials, workings of magic, and distinctions between races are provided within the context of the setting. Sadly, they are often uninspired variations of Tolkeins classic prototypes.

Besides, even Tolkein shaped his stuff from folklore, superstitions, and fairy tales which predated him.

And, as any true Tolkein reader would know, mithril aint all that its cut out to be. Galvorn would be my mythical alloy of choice.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

AuldDragon
Senior Scribe

USA
551 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2014 :  09:24:46  Show Profile  Visit AuldDragon's Homepage Send AuldDragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Indeed. In fact, I read somewhere that the word "Jupiter" is simply a corruption of "Zeus pater", or "father Zeus".

Not quite; Zeus and Jupiter are independently descended from the earlier "Dyeus Pater," as is the ancient Hindu god Dyaus Pitar and possibly Dispater.

"Deus," "Divine," "Deva," and Tyr are all related as well.

Jeff

My 2nd Edition blog: http://blog.aulddragon.com/
My streamed AD&D Spelljamer sessions: https://www.youtube.com/user/aulddragon/playlists?flow=grid&shelf_id=18&view=50
"That sums it up in a nutshell, AuldDragon. You make a more convincing argument. But he's right and you're not."
Go to Top of Page

Tanthalas
Senior Scribe

Portugal
508 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2014 :  19:04:13  Show Profile Send Tanthalas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mythril has been used in the FF series of videogames too so I doubt there's a problem in using it in your series.

Sir Markham pointed out, drinking another brandy. "A chap who can point at you and say 'die' has the distinct advantage".
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2014 :  19:25:30  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As far as I am aware, NO word or concept from Tolkien's books is trademarked. This is largely because he drew heavily on folklore and religion. Titles and character names are an exception, along with the actual text and story, of course, and currently to my knowledge are included as part of the merchandising rights bought along with the film rights. I know there was some legal contention over the term "one ring" back before the movies were made, which resulted in the defendant prevailing as the usage was clearly not intended as a reference to the LOTR books. I do think more specifically Tolkien terms like Silmaril would fall under the same protections as the character names.
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7970 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2014 :  22:55:10  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Even Silmaril might be open game, unless linked with Silmarillion (which is definitely copyrightable stuff, methinks).

I say this because some other words invented by Tolkien have appeared all over the place, effectively just public domain stuff. Elric is a fine example, the name was probably more popularized by other authors than by its own creator.

Stuff like elves and dwarves and dragons and orcs and treants - and mithril - are just baseline fantasy trope. Even if it resembles Tolkeins depictions more than the folklore, superstition, and mythology from which he drew inspiration.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

see
Learned Scribe

235 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2014 :  14:05:23  Show Profile Send see a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A search of the USPTO's Trademark Electronic Search System (TESS) comes up with several live trademark registrations by The Saul Zaentz Company for "mithril". I would personally recommend using an alternative word or spelling.
Go to Top of Page

Matt James
Forgotten Realms Game Designer

USA
918 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2014 :  14:41:34  Show Profile Send Matt James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hobbit is a protected word. It's the reason Gary had to update early D&D content to Halfling.
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend
Forgotten Realms Designer & Author

USA
1707 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2014 :  15:02:49  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mitrhil was a word we were told (as TSR staffers (or at least the editors)) to avoid using as it caused legal headaches with the Tolkien estate (but I think had more legally to do with THEIR wranglings with the people who controlled the Hobbit cartoon rights, iirc). Thus, the Realms and elsewhere got mithral and adamantine as generic replacements.

It was never an absolute hard and fast rule until our 1994 House Style book explicitly stated "mithral, not mithril (1st Ed. DMG, p. 164 vs. Tolkien. Note error in Complete Book of Dwarves)"

For current projects and general natter, see www.steveneschend.com
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2014 :  18:34:45  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As a side note, I've never seen ANY of the other metals mentioned in the Silmarillion or Tales books in any RPG (though I'm betting they used them in MERP which I never got into.) There were quite a few, if memory serves.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2014 :  18:43:28  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Masked Mage

As a side note, I've never seen ANY of the other metals mentioned in the Silmarillion or Tales books in any RPG (though I'm betting they used them in MERP which I never got into.) There were quite a few, if memory serves.

It's likely those books aren't as widely read as The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000