Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Is Mithril copyrighted?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Horatio Posted - 19 Jul 2008 : 19:59:15
I realize this isn't a LotR forum, but maybe you can help me. I'd like to know if Mithril is a copyrighted concept by Tolkien, so if I write a fantasy novel with it, should I change the name or can I use Mithril?
22   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Wooly Rupert Posted - 11 Sep 2014 : 18:43:28
quote:
Originally posted by The Masked Mage

As a side note, I've never seen ANY of the other metals mentioned in the Silmarillion or Tales books in any RPG (though I'm betting they used them in MERP which I never got into.) There were quite a few, if memory serves.

It's likely those books aren't as widely read as The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings.
The Masked Mage Posted - 11 Sep 2014 : 18:34:45
As a side note, I've never seen ANY of the other metals mentioned in the Silmarillion or Tales books in any RPG (though I'm betting they used them in MERP which I never got into.) There were quite a few, if memory serves.
Steven Schend Posted - 11 Sep 2014 : 15:02:49
Mitrhil was a word we were told (as TSR staffers (or at least the editors)) to avoid using as it caused legal headaches with the Tolkien estate (but I think had more legally to do with THEIR wranglings with the people who controlled the Hobbit cartoon rights, iirc). Thus, the Realms and elsewhere got mithral and adamantine as generic replacements.

It was never an absolute hard and fast rule until our 1994 House Style book explicitly stated "mithral, not mithril (1st Ed. DMG, p. 164 vs. Tolkien. Note error in Complete Book of Dwarves)"
Matt James Posted - 11 Sep 2014 : 14:41:34
Hobbit is a protected word. It's the reason Gary had to update early D&D content to Halfling.
see Posted - 11 Sep 2014 : 14:05:23
A search of the USPTO's Trademark Electronic Search System (TESS) comes up with several live trademark registrations by The Saul Zaentz Company for "mithril". I would personally recommend using an alternative word or spelling.
Ayrik Posted - 10 Sep 2014 : 22:55:10
Even Silmaril might be open game, unless linked with Silmarillion (which is definitely copyrightable stuff, methinks).

I say this because some other words invented by Tolkien have appeared all over the place, effectively just public domain stuff. Elric is a fine example, the name was probably more popularized by other authors than by its own creator.

Stuff like elves and dwarves and dragons and orcs and treants - and mithril - are just baseline fantasy trope. Even if it resembles Tolkeins depictions more than the folklore, superstition, and mythology from which he drew inspiration.
The Masked Mage Posted - 10 Sep 2014 : 19:25:30
As far as I am aware, NO word or concept from Tolkien's books is trademarked. This is largely because he drew heavily on folklore and religion. Titles and character names are an exception, along with the actual text and story, of course, and currently to my knowledge are included as part of the merchandising rights bought along with the film rights. I know there was some legal contention over the term "one ring" back before the movies were made, which resulted in the defendant prevailing as the usage was clearly not intended as a reference to the LOTR books. I do think more specifically Tolkien terms like Silmaril would fall under the same protections as the character names.
Tanthalas Posted - 10 Sep 2014 : 19:04:13
Mythril has been used in the FF series of videogames too so I doubt there's a problem in using it in your series.
AuldDragon Posted - 10 Sep 2014 : 09:24:46
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Indeed. In fact, I read somewhere that the word "Jupiter" is simply a corruption of "Zeus pater", or "father Zeus".

Not quite; Zeus and Jupiter are independently descended from the earlier "Dyeus Pater," as is the ancient Hindu god Dyaus Pitar and possibly Dispater.

"Deus," "Divine," "Deva," and Tyr are all related as well.

Jeff
Ayrik Posted - 09 Sep 2014 : 23:35:45
Many fantasy authors (and sci-fi authors, too) sidestep such issues by inventing and naming their own exotic substances. Usually some detailed explanation about fantastic materials, workings of magic, and distinctions between races are provided within the context of the setting. Sadly, they are often uninspired variations of Tolkeins classic prototypes.

Besides, even Tolkein shaped his stuff from folklore, superstitions, and fairy tales which predated him.

And, as any true Tolkein reader would know, mithril aint all that its cut out to be. Galvorn would be my mythical alloy of choice.
Kentinal Posted - 09 Sep 2014 : 23:29:38
A single word can not be copyrighted, it could only be trade marked. TSR tried to trademark Drow and a few other words, however failed in those efforts because they could not meet the burden of proof that they could trademark it. TSR however was able to trademark other words that were unique enough to be their IP.

Mithril as far as I know was never granted trademark protection.
Copyright comes into play when using a series of words. One person I know indicated five exact words that appeared in copyright material was a level of concern about possible violation of a copyright. It clearly can depend on what five words. "To be or not to be?" Six words, any copyright they ever had has expired.

It of course is always prudent to invent new words for anything trademarked and crafted in such a way that copyright is not violated. Of course even fan, not for profit, use does not protect from a violation of protected material.

In one way you could use Mithril is provide credit to a Tolkien or TSR product as a foot note to avoid legal some legal issues, clearly it would be best if you get in writing assurance from governmental, TSR/WotC or the Tolkien estate that there is held no legal claim of use of the word.
Diffan Posted - 09 Sep 2014 : 22:58:13
quote:
Originally posted by Horatio

I realize this isn't a LotR forum, but maybe you can help me. I'd like to know if Mithril is a copyrighted concept by Tolkien, so if I write a fantasy novel with it, should I change the name or can I use Mithril?

No, it's not copyrighted and I disagree that using such a term would discredit your story. Considering that mithral is used quite often in many D&D novels and fantasy genre overall.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 09 Sep 2014 : 22:57:14
quote:
Originally posted by Haplo

If it is used by Tolkien, and also by D&D, does that make it more of an accepted fantasy piece? Like elves and dwarves? WHat I mean is that can it just be used in a novel to explain an uncommonly hard and light ore?

Most likely yes, but as Faraer noted, it would be seen as derivative, at best.

You'd be better making some similar material, with a different name... Especially if there was some secret process/mixture needed to get it so strong and light.
Haplo Posted - 09 Sep 2014 : 21:36:57
If it is used by Tolkien, and also by D&D, does that make it more of an accepted fantasy piece? Like elves and dwarves? WHat I mean is that can it just be used in a novel to explain an uncommonly hard and light ore?
Wooly Rupert Posted - 20 Jul 2008 : 11:06:43
quote:
Originally posted by Ranak

Jupiter wielded an adamantine scythe in his battle against Typhon. In Roman mythology I believe Jupiter was largely comparable to Zeus in Greek mythology.

Indeed. In fact, I read somewhere that the word "Jupiter" is simply a corruption of "Zeus pater", or "father Zeus".
Ranak Posted - 20 Jul 2008 : 09:21:18
Jupiter wielded an adamantine scythe in his battle against Typhon. In Roman mythology I believe Jupiter was largely comparable to Zeus in Greek mythology.

quote:
Originally posted by HawkinstheDM

Also, adamantine actually comes from Greek mythology, so it cannot be copyrighted as well (there was some story about some guy with an adamantine scythe, but I do not remember much more of the details than that ).

KnightErrantJR Posted - 20 Jul 2008 : 04:27:39
3.5 used the spelling "Mithral" instead of "Mithril" for what was obviously the same material.
Hawkins Posted - 20 Jul 2008 : 04:13:16
Also, adamantine actually comes from Greek mythology, so it cannot be copyrighted as well (there was some story about some guy with an adamantine scythe, but I do not remember much more of the details than that ).
Horatio Posted - 20 Jul 2008 : 00:19:20
That's a good point, I was thinking it might be a good basis to dismiss it, I just thought Mithril became a widespread concept that exists in D&D and the Forgotten Realms too. In fact, several minutes before I made this thread I thought it was an actual mineral on planet earth, so excuse my ignorance and thanks for the replies, I'll definitely not be using it.
IngoDjan Posted - 19 Jul 2008 : 23:36:02
Of course!
Markustay Posted - 19 Jul 2008 : 22:33:04
Technically it is not copyrighted - even if it were, it has been used in games, comics, and other media since the 70's, and is therefore an undefended IP, and has become public domain because of that.

The Tolkien estate might challenge you for using it in a novel, but they would lose because of the above.

However, Faraer is quite correct, and no publishing house would take you seriously if you used it.
Faraer Posted - 19 Jul 2008 : 20:58:42
Words and concepts aren't subject to copyright; the question is whether the word 'mithril' is trademarked. To my knowledge (and per Wikipedia), it isn't; I'm pretty sure no one (including TSR) who used it in print has been sued by the Tolkien estate. But I'm not a lawyer, so don't go getting sued on my account. Artistically, though, it would grate to use mithril except in a story set in Middle-earth, and would help get your novel dismissed by publishers, if they saw it, as derivative genre fantasy.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000