Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Any Japanese speaking Scribes? Two-Tailed Tiger
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2014 :  23:17:32  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I have found reference to a mythical beast depicted in this print, Sato Masakiyo Hunting the Magic Two-Tailed Tiger. Does this beast have a name or can any Scribe give me a translation? I have found reference to Nekomata and Bakenono, but neither appears to be this particular monster. Even a translation of the title of the print may be helpful. My Google-Fu (apologies, no disrespect intended) is not strong enough to decipher this.

Misanthorpe

Love is a lie. Only hate endures. Light is blinding. Only in darkness do we see clearly.

"Oh, you think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but.. blinding. The shadows betray you because they belong to me." - Bane The Dark Knight Rises

Green Dragonscale Dice Bag by Crystalsidyll - check it out

Edited by - Fellfire on 08 Sep 2014 23:25:22

BenN
Senior Scribe

Japan
382 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2014 :  00:55:19  Show Profile Send BenN a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The painting is called "Sato Masakiyo Toragari no Zu", which means "Picture of Sato Masakiyo hunting the tiger". As far as I can tell, there's no special name given for the two-tailed tiger.
Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2014 :  01:22:22  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks, BenN. That's about as much as I've been able to determine. I'd hoped that someone familiar with the language or mythology could put a name to the beast.

Misanthorpe

Love is a lie. Only hate endures. Light is blinding. Only in darkness do we see clearly.

"Oh, you think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but.. blinding. The shadows betray you because they belong to me." - Bane The Dark Knight Rises

Go to Top of Page

kysus
Learned Scribe

USA
106 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2014 :  01:43:28  Show Profile  Visit kysus's Homepage Send kysus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Fellfire look up nekomata in japanese folklore. That is probably what your looking for though it could be hard to say when working with art pieces as often varies aspects of a pieces could have other meanings entirely from what you see at face value. I will try to do some more research into that style of work and piece to see what more I can find if what info I've given doesn't help.
Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2014 :  01:43:55  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Toramata - forked tiger - a large blue six-legged tiger with two tails and long teeth like a sabre-tooth.

Not sure if that is based on actual Japanese mythology or not. One Piece, Strongworld? I'm not familiar with either.

Misanthorpe

Edited by - Fellfire on 09 Sep 2014 02:03:20
Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2014 :  02:11:52  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks, kysus. Anata wa otokodesu ka ?

Misanthorpe

Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2014 :  04:23:40  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Is anybody familiar with this One Piece/Strongworld? It seems to be some sort of game in which the Toramata was a Boss. Has anybody played this game, fought this monster? Does it have any arcane abilities? I found this rad pic and I can work with this creature, I'd just like a little more. Also, it seems as if it has two pair of forelegs as opposed to the rear, like a Displacer Beast. It may not make much difference, maybe simply swapping an additional rake for another claw attack. I kinda like the idea of prehensile tails. Hopefully someone can provide some further details.

It seems as if it is anime, not a game as I had first assumed. Anybody seen it? Seemingly not too popular, or maybe just old. I can't find much.

Misanthorpe

Edited by - Fellfire on 10 Sep 2014 05:27:01
Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2014 :  05:58:21  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have found reference to Nekomata whose tail and paws are flaming. Perhaps the Toramata has a similar ability. "Spiritual" flames surround their paws and add the flaming burst property. Just throwing ideas out there

Misanthorpe

Go to Top of Page

kysus
Learned Scribe

USA
106 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2014 :  11:41:23  Show Profile  Visit kysus's Homepage Send kysus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sorry to get back to you so late, I've been doing a bit more research on the piece you had been looking at. So it would seem that the tiger in question is in fact a Nekomata as the legends more closely resemble what the artist is trying to show. So the main thing I had found is that sato masakiyo is kato kiyomasa a real life samurai under Hideyoshi and fought in the invasion of korea in 1592 where he was known to hunt tigers there for sport. Now the fact that the artist kunitsuna Utagawa used a a mystical beast instead of an actual tiger could be him, I suspect, representing korea in the role of the tiger and associating some of the qualities of a Nekomata with korea.

Also looking up legends on the Nekomata it would seem that they took on different appearances the older the legend some even being described as big as tigers and lions and what not. If your looking to create stats for a Nekomata i would go through some of the legends there in to see what different abilities they displayed and start with that as a basis for your creature. If you need any help with finding legends on the Nekomata just let me know and I'll see what i can do.

As to your other question assuming that i translated it right as im still in the process of learning Japanese and im still having trouble with aspects of it the answer is Hai. Though most of the stuff i would be able to help you with would be subjects dealing in mythology, history, and art history as those are the things im studying the most in college and not so much japanese language as I've said im still learning and not very good at it.

Edited by - kysus on 10 Sep 2014 11:42:33
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000