Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Aasimar Paragon
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Penknight
Senior Scribe

USA
538 Posts

Posted - 01 Jul 2008 :  20:20:49  Show Profile Send Penknight a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I just recently found this thread talking about an aasimar paragon for 3.5, and one of the gentlemen that assisted in writing Unearthed Arcana even responded with a version of the class. The only thing I'm wondering is... what would the aasimar class skills be? If someone could help me out with this, I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks!

http://forums.gleemax.com/wotc_archive/index.php/t-191541.html

Telethian Phoenix
Pathfinder Reference Document

Dracons
Learned Scribe

USA
299 Posts

Posted - 01 Jul 2008 :  20:28:19  Show Profile  Visit Dracons's Homepage Send Dracons a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmm. Not really sure.

Diplomacy, Sense Motive for sure. Possibly Spot, Listen, Heal, Know: Religion/Planes. Those would be my best guess.

I love PMs! Please send me a message. Even if its Hi.
Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 01 Jul 2008 :  22:16:48  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'll work on it and get back to you.

EDIT:
quote:
Originally posted by WotC_Andy

In addition to the PH base races, we included a few races that we felt were flavorful and interesting, particularly as "villains." Hence orcs, drow, tieflings, and half-dragons.

We didn't even try to include everything that we could think of--there's no goblin paragon in there, for example--at some point, we just had to move on to the next topic.

I'd probably give aasimar full BAB, all good saves, improved resistance (acid, cold, or electricity) at 1st, daylight 3/day and another +2 on Spot/Listen at 2nd, and a Cha boost at 3rd level.

That's basically identical to the tiefling's progression, except for the better BAB (I think Dex is better than Cha, so it seems fair to me). The BAB matches their martial nature. It's OK for the LA +1 or better races to have a more potent paragon class, as noted in the sidebar on p. 46.

I'd also allow free multiclassing with paladin (honestly, I think that all the paragon classes shouldn't ever trigger penalties for multiclassing, even with monk or paladin, but I have only myself to blame for that not being in there).
In addition to what WotC_Andy said, I would give it the following skills: Craft (Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Heal (Wis), Knowledge (the planes) (Int), Knowledge (religion) (Int), Listen (Wis), Profession (Wis), Ride (Dex), Sense Motive (Wis), and Spot (Wis).

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)

Edited by - Hawkins on 01 Jul 2008 22:48:27
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3737 Posts

Posted - 01 Jul 2008 :  23:45:07  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-I never particularly liked the concept of the 'X Paragon' class.

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerūn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerūn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Penknight
Senior Scribe

USA
538 Posts

Posted - 02 Jul 2008 :  01:51:51  Show Profile Send Penknight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dagnirion

I still can't technically understand why the paragon classes were created to begin with, really. I saw all the other paragon classes and wondered why the aasimar wasn't listed when the tiefling was. I thought I'd give the paragon a once over and try it out on my character now that she's hit epic level. Just about time to retire her... *disconsolate sigh*

Telethian Phoenix
Go to Top of Page

Penknight
Senior Scribe

USA
538 Posts

Posted - 02 Jul 2008 :  01:53:37  Show Profile Send Penknight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by HawkinstheDM

I'll work on it and get back to you.

EDIT:
quote:
Originally posted by WotC_Andy

In addition to the PH base races, we included a few races that we felt were flavorful and interesting, particularly as "villains." Hence orcs, drow, tieflings, and half-dragons.

We didn't even try to include everything that we could think of--there's no goblin paragon in there, for example--at some point, we just had to move on to the next topic.

I'd probably give aasimar full BAB, all good saves, improved resistance (acid, cold, or electricity) at 1st, daylight 3/day and another +2 on Spot/Listen at 2nd, and a Cha boost at 3rd level.

That's basically identical to the tiefling's progression, except for the better BAB (I think Dex is better than Cha, so it seems fair to me). The BAB matches their martial nature. It's OK for the LA +1 or better races to have a more potent paragon class, as noted in the sidebar on p. 46.

I'd also allow free multiclassing with paladin (honestly, I think that all the paragon classes shouldn't ever trigger penalties for multiclassing, even with monk or paladin, but I have only myself to blame for that not being in there).
In addition to what WotC_Andy said, I would give it the following skills: Craft (Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Heal (Wis), Knowledge (the planes) (Int), Knowledge (religion) (Int), Listen (Wis), Profession (Wis), Ride (Dex), Sense Motive (Wis), and Spot (Wis).

I really appreciate all of the hard work in figuring this out, Hawkins. I was never any good at coming up with PrCs or skills to go with new classes. How did you decide on the ten skills that you listed if I may ask?

Telethian Phoenix
Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1796 Posts

Posted - 02 Jul 2008 :  13:28:30  Show Profile Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Penknight

quote:
Originally posted by Dagnirion

I still can't technically understand why the paragon classes were created to begin with, really. I saw all the other paragon classes and wondered why the aasimar wasn't listed when the tiefling was. I thought I'd give the paragon a once over and try it out on my character now that she's hit epic level. Just about time to retire her... *disconsolate sigh*

Where can I find these paragon classes? I'm looking for a dwarf paragon more specifically...
Go to Top of Page

freyar
Learned Scribe

Canada
220 Posts

Posted - 02 Jul 2008 :  15:39:26  Show Profile  Visit freyar's Homepage Send freyar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Purple Dragon Knight
Where can I find these paragon classes? I'm looking for a dwarf paragon more specifically...

Unearthed Arcana. However, many (all?) of them are Open Gaming Content, and you can find them on the online SRD sites, like the Hypertext SRD or the Sovelier-Sage SRD. Note that this content isn't actually in the SRD from WotC, but it is open and has been typed in by others.

My DnD Links and Creations

Edited by - freyar on 02 Jul 2008 15:41:40
Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 02 Jul 2008 :  16:09:40  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I really appreciate all of the hard work in figuring this out, Hawkins. I was never any good at coming up with PrCs or skills to go with new classes. How did you decide on the ten skills that you listed if I may ask?
I took out the skills that the Paragon Tiefling got from the Rogue class and added in skills from the Paladin class since that is the favored class of the Aasimar.
quote:
Originally posted by freyar

Unearthed Arcana. However, many (all?) of them are Open Gaming Content, and you can find them on the online SRD sites, like the Hypertext SRD or the Sovelier-Sage SRD. Note that this content isn't actually in the SRD from WotC, but it is open and has been typed in byothers.
Of the two you mentioned, I prefer the Hypertext SRD personally.

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)

Edited by - Hawkins on 02 Jul 2008 16:10:52
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3737 Posts

Posted - 02 Jul 2008 :  17:41:03  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I still can't technically understand why the paragon classes were created to begin with, really.

-Me neither.

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerūn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerūn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000