Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Dragon Magazines Followed Me Home . . .
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2008 :  04:21:35  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Last night at the FLGS, one of the owners showed me a box of Dragon Magazines, and told me that someone had come in and wanted to get rid of them, but didn't have the heart to throw them out. He told me they were mine if I wanted them.

The issues look like they range from about #138 to 197, which is a big chunk of the issues I sold when my ex wife and I hit a rough patch years and years ago. When I met my current wife, I started rebuilding my RPG collection, mainly through PDFs at Paizo, but this find was just amazing.

Brian R. James
Forgotten Realms Game Designer

USA
1098 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2008 :  05:20:31  Show Profile  Visit Brian R. James's Homepage Send Brian R. James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Simply Amazing. Congratulations!

Brian R. James - Freelance Game Designer

Follow me on Twitter @brianrjames
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2008 :  05:47:28  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I know, I was leafing through some of them and seeing old articles like "Seeing the Sights in Skullport," and I can't tell you how great a feeling that was to have that magazine again.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2008 :  07:29:02  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nice!

Looks like you've got plenty of worthwhile reading to catch up on KEJR.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2008 :  10:44:41  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Congratulations from me on this! What a treasure!

"Das Gras weht im Wind, wenn der Wind weht."
Go to Top of Page

Fillow
Master of Realmslore

France
1608 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2008 :  11:35:34  Show Profile  Visit Fillow's Homepage Send Fillow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I say there's only chance for scoundrels !

Congratulations KEJR !

Just a question otherwise : what is the FLGS ?

"Today is a good day to smile",
Fillow Big'n'Book Mahlemiut 'Lead-dog', Son of Garl, Wanderer of the Masked Leaf and Namer of Oghma.

- Fight in the arena and have fun ! :
La brute.com
- Feel free to take part to these projects : Post-Spellplague bibliography ; 4E index project ; Taverns and inns of the Realms ; Dogs of the Realms ; Descriptions of places in the novels ; forums, RPG, FR Abbreviations and Acronyms
- Come and have a look at the already asked questions from the Forgotten Realms Trivia Challenge

I am a French FR fan, so please forgive my lapses in English language and do not hesitate to correct me. Thanks a lot.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2008 :  14:43:34  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It means "Friendly Local Gaming Store."

Go to Top of Page

GRYPHON
Senior Scribe

USA
527 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2008 :  14:59:22  Show Profile Send GRYPHON a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Very nice...

'Everyone dies...I only choose the time and place for a few.' --Eric Destler
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2008 :  15:00:57  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The 'Friendly' part is optional, and is sometimes substituted with another word.

I had an incredible deal once (a comic shop going out of business - I got TONS of 2e stuff 75% off!), but FREE is even better.

Great score! You got Phat Lewtz!

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Fillow
Master of Realmslore

France
1608 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2008 :  18:01:35  Show Profile  Visit Fillow's Homepage Send Fillow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for answering Sage
quote:
Originally posted by Fillow

I say there's only chance for scoundrels !

Congratulations KEJR !

Just a question otherwise : what is the FLGS ?

Shame on me !
I'm the first poster of the Abreviations & acronyms thread , where I would have found the meaning of FLGS and I did not even think about have a look within it !

my bad !

"Today is a good day to smile",
Fillow Big'n'Book Mahlemiut 'Lead-dog', Son of Garl, Wanderer of the Masked Leaf and Namer of Oghma.

- Fight in the arena and have fun ! :
La brute.com
- Feel free to take part to these projects : Post-Spellplague bibliography ; 4E index project ; Taverns and inns of the Realms ; Dogs of the Realms ; Descriptions of places in the novels ; forums, RPG, FR Abbreviations and Acronyms
- Come and have a look at the already asked questions from the Forgotten Realms Trivia Challenge

I am a French FR fan, so please forgive my lapses in English language and do not hesitate to correct me. Thanks a lot.
Go to Top of Page

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2008 :  19:20:24  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nice one indeed, KEJr! I bought a bunch of Dragon Magazines from ebay, and got, to my surprise, the big-ass four-parter map of Faerûn, and some pretty nifty battlemaps as well.

Mace's not so gentle gamer's journal My rants were harmless compared to this, beware!
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2008 :  18:09:32  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Lucky you.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Sanishiver
Senior Scribe

USA
476 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2008 :  20:29:29  Show Profile  Visit Sanishiver's Homepage Send Sanishiver a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nice!

Makes me want to hit all the LGS's within driving range just to see what they have in dead stock.

The last big load I hit was in Stockton California about four years ago. Haven't seen a store with lots of Dragon and Dungeon back issues in a long time, but you never know!

09/20/2008: Tiger Army at the Catalyst in Santa Cruz. You wouldn’t believe how many females rode it out in the pit. Santa Cruz women are all of them beautiful. Now I know to add tough to that description.
6/27/2008: WALL-E is about the best damn movie Pixar has ever made. It had my heart racing and had me rooting for the good guy.
9/9/2006: Dave Mathews Band was off the hook at the Shoreline Amphitheater.

Never, ever read the game books too literally, or make such assumptions that what is omitted cannot be. Bad DM form, that.

And no matter how compelling a picture string theory paints, if it does not accurately describe our universe, it will be no more relevant than an elaborate game of Dungeons and Dragons. --paragraph 1, chapter 9, The Elegant Universe by Brian Greene
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Moradin
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1120 Posts

Posted - 16 Jun 2008 :  03:59:21  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Moradin's Homepage Send Chosen of Moradin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is awesome, Knight! Tymora favors you!

Dwarf, DM, husband, and proud of this! :P

twitter: @yuripeixoto
Facebook: yuri.peixoto
Go to Top of Page

Ardashir
Senior Scribe

USA
544 Posts

Posted - 16 Jun 2008 :  20:35:39  Show Profile  Visit Ardashir's Homepage Send Ardashir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Congratulations to you, sir!
Go to Top of Page

althen artren
Senior Scribe

USA
780 Posts

Posted - 16 Jun 2008 :  23:41:39  Show Profile Send althen artren a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Slight related,
My wife went to a yard sale and brought for me copies of the 1st two box sets for D@D for
$.20. Get this, one of the boxes still had the dice and the crayon still in the package, and the other box had its crayon and a mix of original dice. I have since sold both boxes for $20 to a friend of mine who first used those boxes (and lost the 4 sided of the set I kept, sigh)

Have also gotten some used 1 edition modules as well. Good find on your part.

Edited by - althen artren on 16 Jun 2008 23:42:55
Go to Top of Page

Gwydion669
Acolyte

USA
14 Posts

Posted - 30 Jun 2008 :  08:51:42  Show Profile  Visit Gwydion669's Homepage Send Gwydion669 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I hope I have your luck. I was recently informed that there was a water leak in one of my storage units several states away. My father claims one box of my books is toast while the rest are okay.

I'm hoping it was some Marvel or DC's and not my Dragons or modules.

If you can't find all that you want at Paizo, RPGNow has a pretty good selection in PDF form at relatively low prices.
Go to Top of Page

Dracons
Learned Scribe

USA
299 Posts

Posted - 01 Jul 2008 :  20:29:54  Show Profile  Visit Dracons's Homepage Send Dracons a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Huge Congrats:

Um. ... anyway you could send me some of the info on Sights in Skullport.....???

I love PMs! Please send me a message. Even if its Hi.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 02 Jul 2008 :  01:46:30  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You can easily purchase a copy of DRAGON #172 from paizo.com for just $15US.

Edited by - The Sage on 02 Jul 2008 01:47:02
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000