Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 The spellfire, the weave and the outer planes
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Felen Enthelion
Acolyte

Italy
16 Posts

Posted - 19 Jun 2008 :  22:05:20  Show Profile  Visit Felen Enthelion's Homepage Send Felen Enthelion a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hi!
I play with my group using the 3rd editions rules and the planescape cosmology (with Toril as the main prime word... because it is the best one).
In second edition the weave was something related only to the Realmspace crystal sphere.

I was curious about the spellfire and the silver fire. Does they work outside the Realmspace, for istance in a place like the Ethereal, the Astral or the Abyss?

The second question: a dead magic zone in the planes is a place where there is no magic at all. A dead magic on Faerun is a place where there is described on Magic of Faerun as a place were there is no Weave (a hole in the weave, an that is why shadoweave incantators can cast in a dead magic zone on Toril) but with row magic still existent(only an antimagic field can suppress row magic). A similar things works for wild magic in the planes and on Toril. They should call them dead weave zones and wild weave zones in fact... and that's why psionic character can use their powers in a dead weave zone (like during the time of Troubles): they tap to the powers of raw magic using only their "inner weave".
Can you use spellfire in a dead weave zone?

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3738 Posts

Posted - 20 Jun 2008 :  02:20:59  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-In theory, no, Spellfire would not work outside of Realmspace. Spellfire is a manifestation of the Raw Magic that the Weave channels to allow mortals to access magic. Because other Crystal Spheres do not have Weaves, like Realmspace does, there's no reason to believe that Raw Magic manifests itself in mortals the way it does in Realmspace.

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerūn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerūn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page

khorne
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1073 Posts

Posted - 20 Jun 2008 :  09:10:40  Show Profile  Visit khorne's Homepage Send khorne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wait a minute, if the weave is limited to realmspace, then how come all the planes went hooplaaa when it was destroyed?

If I were a ranger, I would pick NDA for my favorite enemy
Go to Top of Page

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 20 Jun 2008 :  10:06:12  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by khorne

Wait a minute, if the weave is limited to realmspace, then how come all the planes went hooplaaa when it was destroyed?

*SHHHH*... Don't say it aloud! 4E FR designers will retcon this, too, if they see your comment.

"What am I doing today? Ask me tomorrow - I can be sure of giving you the right answer then."
-- Askarran of Selgaunt, Master Sage, speaking to a curious merchant, Year of the Helm
Go to Top of Page

Ayunken-vanzan
Senior Scribe

Germany
657 Posts

Posted - 20 Jun 2008 :  10:43:43  Show Profile  Visit Ayunken-vanzan's Homepage Send Ayunken-vanzan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Compare the weave to a web that rips. All the strands lash back and forth, touching this plane and that plane, changing the whole multiverse ...

OK, now it is clear: Loviatar is the real mastermind behind the spellplague ...

"What mattered our lives now? When our world had been torn from us? Folk wept, or drank, or stood staring out over the land, wondering what new horror each dawn would bring."
Elender Stormfall of Suzail

"Anyone can kill deities, cause plagues, or destroy organizations. It takes real skill to make them live on."
Varl

FR/D&D-Links • 2ed Downloads
Go to Top of Page

Felen Enthelion
Acolyte

Italy
16 Posts

Posted - 20 Jun 2008 :  12:01:36  Show Profile  Visit Felen Enthelion's Homepage Send Felen Enthelion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
In theory, no, Spellfire would not work outside of Realmspace. Spellfire is a manifestation of the Raw Magic that the Weave channels to allow mortals to access magic. Because other Crystal Spheres do not have Weaves, like Realmspace does, there's no reason to believe that Raw Magic manifests itself in mortals the way it does in Realmspace.

But if the spellfire IS raw magic, a spellfire adept should be able to use it everywere, at least in the Prime Material Plane, were raw magic exist, even without the weave. If I remember well, in 2nd ed, every crystal sphere has its own way to purify the raw magic and allow mortals to use magic (the weave is one of this methods, but on Oerth there is another and so on).
I tought spellfire was one of those way to use magic without using the wave, like the epic spells, psionic powers and the magic of an artifact.
Go to Top of Page

Brian R. James
Forgotten Realms Game Designer

USA
1098 Posts

Posted - 20 Jun 2008 :  14:23:36  Show Profile  Visit Brian R. James's Homepage Send Brian R. James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This change began with 3E when the shared cosmology of Planescape was discarded for a singular Realms cosmology. Since that time, the Weave permeates the entire cosmology not just Realmspace.
quote:
Originally posted by khorne

Brian R. James - Freelance Game Designer

Follow me on Twitter @brianrjames
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 20 Jun 2008 :  16:38:46  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Actually it didn't until this spellplague business. Many of the 3e/3.5e books make it clear that the Weave doesn't touch the other planes because Mystra only has control over her plane and the Weave of Toril's Prime and not the power to control magic on the other outer planes.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium

Edited by - Kuje on 20 Jun 2008 16:44:22
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3738 Posts

Posted - 20 Jun 2008 :  17:00:37  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Felen Enthelion

But if the spellfire IS raw magic, a spellfire adept should be able to use it everywere, at least in the Prime Material Plane, were raw magic exist, even without the weave. If I remember well, in 2nd ed, every crystal sphere has its own way to purify the raw magic and allow mortals to use magic (the weave is one of this methods, but on Oerth there is another and so on).

-It is a manifestation of Raw Magic. Raw Magic kills mortals. This is why the Weave exists- to allow mortals to interact safely with Raw Magic. This is also why the 4e changes make little sense, allowing magic to exist within Realmspace without the Weave, but I digress...

-Because other Crystal Spheres do not have Weaves as Realmspace does, we cannot assume that they have Raw Magic that works like it does in Realmspace. Thus, we cannot assume that individuals in other Crystal Spheres have access to Spellfire (there certainly aren't any examples of such). So, all that said, we cannot assume that Spellfire would work in other Crystal Spheres, where Raw Magic as it exists in Realmspace does.

quote:

I tought spellfire was one of those way to use magic without using the wave, like the epic spells, psionic powers and the magic of an artifact.

-While Psionics do not utilize the Weave, both Epic Magic and magic items tap into it.

Elves of Faerūn
Go to Top of Page

Brian R. James
Forgotten Realms Game Designer

USA
1098 Posts

Posted - 20 Jun 2008 :  20:24:01  Show Profile  Visit Brian R. James's Homepage Send Brian R. James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmmm. If memory serves me right, Mystra got reprimanded during Cyric's trial for threatening to cut off a god's access to the Weave. She wouldn't be able to do that unless the Weave extended to that god's planar realm. And that novel was published even before 3rd-Edition. I'll have to go back and reread the pertinent chapters to be sure.
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

Actually it didn't until this spellplague business. Many of the 3e/3.5e books make it clear that the Weave doesn't touch the other planes because Mystra only has control over her plane and the Weave of Toril's Prime and not the power to control magic on the other outer planes.

Brian R. James - Freelance Game Designer

Follow me on Twitter @brianrjames
Go to Top of Page

ShadezofDis
Senior Scribe

402 Posts

Posted - 20 Jun 2008 :  20:58:46  Show Profile  Visit ShadezofDis's Homepage Send ShadezofDis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brian R. James

Hmmm. If memory serves me right, Mystra got reprimanded during Cyric's trial for threatening to cut off a god's access to the Weave. She wouldn't be able to do that unless the Weave extended to that god's planar realm. And that novel was published even before 3rd-Edition. I'll have to go back and reread the pertinent chapters to be sure.

You're absolutely right, Trial of Cyric the Mad.

I choose to think about those events as the ignorance of young gods though, because trying to make sense of those events is a headache.
Go to Top of Page

ShadezofDis
Senior Scribe

402 Posts

Posted - 20 Jun 2008 :  21:02:08  Show Profile  Visit ShadezofDis's Homepage Send ShadezofDis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh, and she did cut him off from the Weave, not just threatened to.
Go to Top of Page

Felen Enthelion
Acolyte

Italy
16 Posts

Posted - 20 Jun 2008 :  21:20:35  Show Profile  Visit Felen Enthelion's Homepage Send Felen Enthelion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

True, but it is also true that during the Time of Trouble, when the weve went crazy, magic on the outer planes was working fine... like on Gehenna, where Elminster is banished after the battle with Bane's avatar, or on Hades, when Midnight goes to find the second table of fate). This means that there is no weave on the Outer Planes...

quote:
-Because other Crystal Spheres do not have Weaves as Realmspace does, we cannot assume that they have Raw Magic that works like it does in Realmspace.

Ok, that means that a spellfire adept sucks in a adventure on the outer planes or on another Prime world... something like being a shadow dancer on the Outer Planes (no plane of shadows no shadow jump...)

Edited by - Felen Enthelion on 20 Jun 2008 21:22:24
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 20 Jun 2008 :  22:12:47  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thats been retconned as well... I just read it recently, and I would hazard to guess it was in MoF (I'm not at home).

Mystra can 'ban' a God from granting their follower's spells, but NOT the God itself.

Ergo, what happened in that novel DID NOT happen. Chalk it up to bad reporting by mortals... or whatever.

Raw Magic was either always usable by mortals (and Mystra's clergy were lying), demonstarted by both the post-Spellplague Faerūn and magic in other settings, or the Weave did in fact permeate the multiverse on some level, as Brian has postulated. FR wizards were always able to cast spells on other worlds easily (remember when Elminster was teleported against his will to the Saurial homeworld?), so it really has to be that way.

Either the Weave was meaningless, or it was everywhere - your pick.

And, of course, saying that Raw Magic would harm mortals is ridiculous at this point. That made sense perhaps in 1e, but once all the worlds were linked through Spelljammer, Planescape and Ravenloft it no longer made any sense, unless all worlds used the Weave. Now that the Weave is gone, it means that magic would have to be changed everywhere... hmmmmm... you know, I think I see where Brian was going with that...

Maybe Raw Magic is still harmful to mortals, all things considered...

Anyhow, if characters are not using Raw Magic in 4e, then they must be recieving magic through some other filter(s) - which is what the Weave was, basically.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 20 Jun 2008 22:16:01
Go to Top of Page

ShadezofDis
Senior Scribe

402 Posts

Posted - 20 Jun 2008 :  22:48:05  Show Profile  Visit ShadezofDis's Homepage Send ShadezofDis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay
Ergo, what happened in that novel DID NOT happen. Chalk it up to bad reporting by mortals... or whatever.

Or, Cyric was such a young deity that he was still accessing magic through the Weave, not knowing he didn't have to use it.

Real weak, I know. But with some more thought and adding in another factor or 3 it could make some sense.

quote:
Either the Weave was meaningless, or it was everywhere - your pick.

Or, you cast spells in exactly the same way, it's just in Faerun the Weave was present and inserted itself between the caster and raw magic. In Dark Sun they channeled it through other mediums (plants, people and the sun respectively). In Dragonlance they had the Gods of magic. . . and . . . afterwards . . . well, I have no clue about afterwards.
(I know, it sounds real bad but this is only about an hour, broken up over months, total spent thinking about the issue, so I'm sure I could make it better with some time)

I, personally, like the idea of worlds with high concentrations of Raw Magic and worlds with low concentrations. It helps to give some relative value, in the eyes of powerful Outsiders, to different worlds.
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 20 Jun 2008 :  23:03:39  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That is true she was able to do that, but that novel was long retconned especially in late 2e material.

Even in late 2e the Weave never reached the other planes of the deities, especially during Planescape's cosmology because that wouldn't have made any sense what so ever. But the FRCS and Magic of Faerun, plus other 3e/3.5e books, make it also clear that the Weave is only Toril's Prime.

quote:
Originally posted by Brian R. James

quote:

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 20 Jun 2008 :  23:55:24  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Right, but everything we knew to be true is now subject to change, and if ANYONE here knows the real deal, it would be Brian.

Changing Lore to say the Weave permeated the entire multiverse would go a long way in explaining why the cosmology changed, and magic on every world changed (Eberron is going to need a reason too, next year, so why not have one generic reason, which seems to be 4e's 'calling card').

The one thing I really love about this hypothesis is that it puts Toril firmly at the center of the Universe. Thats at least one thing that could make us fans happy.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 21 Jun 2008 :  00:57:16  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That maybe true for 4e but the poster who started this topic was asking about his planescape campaign and how spellfire, and the Weave, would work in that cosmology. So, the Weave never reached the other planes outside of Realmspace. Lets not debate this about 4e since 4e's third FR cosmology does not play a part in said discussion especially since we don't have detailed material about the third FR cosmology except for a few previews, etc. Even in 3/3.5e's cosmology, at least in the early material, the Weave did not reach the outer planes. It's clearly written.

Now then, this says it all for me, if you want to continue to debate this, I'm going to ignore this from now on.

Magic of Faerun, page 11, which, as far as I knew, was not overwritten until the Spellplague events, "Mystra can also bar a deity from accessing the Weave, which would prevent the deity from using magic while in Faerun but NOT while the deity was on another plane where the Weave DOES NOT exist, such as any of the planar homes of the deities."

This, as I said, was the same in 2e except for that one novel, which was overwritten by many sourcebooks/novels.

quote:

Right, but everything we knew to be true is now subject to change, and if ANYONE here knows the real deal, it would be Brian.

Changing Lore to say the Weave permeated the entire multiverse would go a long way in explaining why the cosmology changed, and magic on every world changed (Eberron is going to need a reason too, next year, so why not have one generic reason, which seems to be 4e's 'calling card').

The one thing I really love about this hypothesis is that it puts Toril firmly at the center of the Universe. Thats at least one thing that could make us fans happy.

Edited by - Kuje on 21 Jun 2008 01:38:55
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 21 Jun 2008 :  01:09:32  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Now then, about spellfire. If it was my campaign, I'd allow the spellfire user to still access the magic of the plane that the spellfire user is on, or if it was a Prime world, plug into the magical effects of that crystal sphere or world.

It just seems to me to be a bit unfair that the spellfire wielder would lose the abilities just because the user went to another plane. Arcane and Divine casters don't lose their spells or their contact with their deity, except if they go to a different sphere where their deity has no influence or get used to the arcane rules of that sphere, so it seems to be that the spellfire user wouldn't either. However, I'd still use the planar/spelljammer changes to magic. So, no fire magic on the plane of water, or good aligned spells are weakened in evil aligned planes, etc.

Of course, you could also create a token that would allow the spellfire wielder to access their abilities, much like arcane/divine casters can get if they are on another plane or crystal sphere.

Edited by - Kuje on 21 Jun 2008 01:23:23
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3738 Posts

Posted - 21 Jun 2008 :  02:12:53  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Ok, that means that a spellfire adept sucks in a adventure on the outer planes or on another Prime world... something like being a shadow dancer on the Outer Planes (no plane of shadows no shadow jump...)

-Yeah.

Elves of Faerūn
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3738 Posts

Posted - 21 Jun 2008 :  02:18:05  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Now then, about spellfire. If it was my campaign, I'd allow the spellfire user to still access the magic of the plane that the spellfire user is on, or if it was a Prime world, plug into the magical effects of that crystal sphere or world.

It just seems to me to be a bit unfair that the spellfire wielder would lose the abilities just because the user went to another plane. Arcane and Divine casters don't lose their spells or their contact with their deity, except if they go to a different sphere where their deity has no influence or get used to the arcane rules of that sphere, so it seems to be that the spellfire user wouldn't either.

-Being fair or unfair has nothing to do with it. Using an analogy, a radio that uses a specific frequency that is broadcast from a specific radio tower eventually loses it's ability to function the further and further it gets from that tower. Other radio towers might exist in the area the radio is in, but if they are not transmitting in the same frequency the radio can handle, those radio waves are going to do no good.

Elves of Faerūn
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 21 Jun 2008 :  02:21:12  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If that's how you want to run your campaign, then cool. However, as I said, in MY campaign, it, to me, is unfair. So I gave ways that the DM could be fair to his players, because a campaign should be also about the players. However, if he/she wants to ignore those suggestions, then thats his/her choice but don't, please, tell me what is fair and unfair in my campaign, which is why I started my post with in my campaign.

quote:
Originally posted by Dagnirion

-Being fair or unfair has nothing to do with it. Using an analogy, a radio that uses a specific frequency that is broadcast from a specific radio tower eventually loses it's ability to function the further and further it gets from that tower. Other radio towers might exist in the area the radio is in, but if they are not transmitting in the same frequency the radio can handle, those radio waves are going to do no good.

Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3738 Posts

Posted - 21 Jun 2008 :  04:52:19  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

If that's how you want to run your campaign, then cool. However, as I said, in MY campaign, it, to me, is unfair. So I gave ways that the DM could be fair to his players, because a campaign should be also about the players. However, if he/she wants to ignore those suggestions, then thats his/her choice but don't, please, tell me what is fair and unfair in my campaign, which is why I started my post with in my campaign.

-Okay. I'm not talking about individual campaigns, in that case.

Elves of Faerūn

Edited by - Lord Karsus on 21 Jun 2008 06:06:44
Go to Top of Page

althen artren
Senior Scribe

USA
780 Posts

Posted - 21 Jun 2008 :  23:24:47  Show Profile Send althen artren a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In Elves of Evermeet, Faerie has a connection to the Weave. Durothil see Faerun though the connection of High Magic between Faerie and Faerun. Also, in Elves of Evermeet it states that there are other worlds where the Weave touched, but the statement is non-encompassing so by default there are worlds without the Weave.

Take these offerings as you will.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 22 Jun 2008 :  01:25:28  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
New lore overwrites old lore - thats RAW.

4e trumps 3e, no matter how you slice it, and even if your running a Planescape Campaign, the new lore gets applied retroactively. So if the new books do indeed say the Weave was everywhere, then it was, plain and simple.

Unless you are NOT running a game according to canon or RAW, in which case the point is moot and anything you want can work anyway you want.

I can see we are indeed going to run into edition-centric problems, and it isn't even Aug yet.

BTW, this came up in the 'Designers' thread over at WotC, and a few of us decided that Spellfire was a better fit for the Warlock mechanics, not the Wizard or Sorceror (the fluff would have to be changed, however).

Edited by - Markustay on 24 Jun 2008 22:01:49
Go to Top of Page

Felen Enthelion
Acolyte

Italy
16 Posts

Posted - 22 Jun 2008 :  02:28:02  Show Profile  Visit Felen Enthelion's Homepage Send Felen Enthelion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
and even if your running a Planescape Campaign, the new lore gets applied retroactively.

Off couse. BUT, the idea of a weave that arives everywere is good only if you use the great Tree cosmology. If you use, like I do, the great wheel cosmology, it doesn't have any sense. That's why I said in the beginning which cosmology I make use of.
I was trying to know how a spellfire adept would work in a outer plane of the 2nd ed kind, with no weave ( with a kind of magic easier to use than the fearunian raw magic that needs a channel like the weave to be adopted by mortals), or in a world where the weave doesn't exist (like Oerth).
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 22 Jun 2008 :  02:31:06  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Exactly, which is why I tried to get this back on topic with my spellfire suggestions and which is why I said I wasn't going to continue this planar debate.

Hopefully, also, Ed will give his thoughts on the topic since I asked him in his thread.

quote:

quote:
and even if your running a Planescape Campaign, the new lore gets applied retroactively.

Off couse. BUT, the idea of a weave that arives everywere is good only if you use the great Tree cosmology. If you use, like I do, the great wheel cosmology, it doesn't have any sense. That's why I said in the beginning which cosmology I make use of.
I was trying to know how a spellfire adept would work in a outer plane of the 2nd ed kind, with no weave ( with a kind of magic easier to use than the fearunian raw magic that needs a channel like the weave to be adopted by mortals), or in a world where the weave doesn't exist (like Oerth).

Go to Top of Page

Felen Enthelion
Acolyte

Italy
16 Posts

Posted - 22 Jun 2008 :  02:48:06  Show Profile  Visit Felen Enthelion's Homepage Send Felen Enthelion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Hopefully, also, Ed will give his thoughts on the topic since I asked him in his thread.

Thank you Kuje! That would be great! (I could finally be able to know if raw magic exists only on Toril or on all the Prime Material).
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 22 Jun 2008 :  04:36:19  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I can see we are indeed going to run into edition-centric problems, and it isn't even Aug yet.

That's been an issue since 3E was introduced, with it massive unexplained retcons.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2008 :  22:09:58  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sorry guys - I must of missed where you said you were using the wheel - which is now supposedly back, since Sigil is mentioned in the 4e books. However, the new 'wheel' is greatly diminished, and stands within its own plane now, I believe (at least the 'Outlands' part does - the rest is probably just a series of portals).

Anyhow, if you are using the 'Old Wheel' or even Great Tree, I can see where you would have problems using the Weave outside of Realmspace.

Worst case scenario (and if Ed doesn't give his own explanation), I think you can just say Mystra attatches a 'lifeline' to her Chosen and other 'special' individuals, similar to the way there is a Silver Cord anchoring everyone to their Home Plane when they travel the Astral.

That way, people like El or Khelben or so many others can still do their 'thing', even when travelling abroad. It also makes for an interesting plothook - if someone (or something) figures out how to sever that lifeline, the Mage on the other end is in a whole lotta trouble.

Edited by - Markustay on 24 Jun 2008 22:11:15
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2008 :  23:43:12  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Some kind of metaphysical structure permeates the whole cosmos -- I don't believe the Weave just abruptly ends and meets some kind of noetic vacuum. What counts as Weave and what doesn't is probably one of those in-world sages' arguments; at the very least, other worlds have magical workings analogous to Toril's Weave, and I certainly don't believe the Weave -- or its contiguous source -- is absent in Dweomerheart.

Edited by - Faraer on 24 Jun 2008 23:43:42
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000