Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 D&D Core Products
 Golarion
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 35

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2013 :  04:47:52  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

The Larry Elmore artbook Kickstarter also had an abrupt jump in the last few hours. I think some people tend to not get in until close to the end, either waiting for more stuff to be offered, or because they want to see whether or not the project is going to be funded. It's also possible that the increase in backers was due to the word spreading more widely as the clock counted down.

It's also possible that they're people like me who need extra time to juggle their financials around in order to support it.

Another good point! I'd've not been able to do the Larry Elmore Kickstarter, but I got some cash for Christmas*, and it was enough to jump in.

*Cash and gift cards for holidays -- the best advantage of being hard to buy for!

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 16 Jun 2013 :  17:14:49  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
*blows away some dust*

Ahem.

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 17 Jun 2013 :  18:34:34  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am interested in how people have been enjoying the current adventure path, with its ties to Earth and stuff (in response to Kajehase's image of Rasputin).

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 17 Jun 2013 :  19:24:19  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've not been reading this AP, yet... How much of it connects to Earth? Is it just hints and references throughout, or is there some crossover at some point?

Go to Top of Page

Ayunken-vanzan
Senior Scribe

Germany
657 Posts

Posted - 17 Jun 2013 :  20:22:14  Show Profile  Visit Ayunken-vanzan's Homepage Send Ayunken-vanzan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have just received my shipment email and will now download the newest volume of the adventure path. This is the only volume in which the PCs actually visit our Earth: Russia in 1918, because "Rasputin must die!"

"What mattered our lives now? When our world had been torn from us? Folk wept, or drank, or stood staring out over the land, wondering what new horror each dawn would bring."
Elender Stormfall of Suzail

"Anyone can kill deities, cause plagues, or destroy organizations. It takes real skill to make them live on."
Varl

FR/D&D-Links 2ed Downloads

Edited by - Ayunken-vanzan on 17 Jun 2013 20:22:43
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 17 Jun 2013 :  22:42:54  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ayunken-vanzan

I have just received my shipment email and will now download the newest volume of the adventure path. This is the only volume in which the PCs actually visit our Earth: Russia in 1918, because "Rasputin must die!"

Is there any Earth-tech or anything in the earlier volumes?

Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2013 :  02:50:01  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
"After spending 2 years on the front against the Germans, I saw some strange and terrible things. I saw waves of mustard gas blistering soldiers’ skin as it swept across the trenches. I saw my best friend get blown apart by a mortar while I stood less than 10 feet away. I saw one of my brothers take a man’s head off with his trench shovel after his rifle jammed. Terrible, horrible things. Even with all I had seen, I wasn’t ready—I could never be ready—for when a hut with chicken legs appeared out of nowhere and spat up a group of people wearing armor and robes, wielding swords and bows, and calling fire out of the sky like some kind of demons.”

Isak Sidorov, Russian soldier.

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett

Edited by - Kajehase on 18 Jun 2013 02:52:04
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2013 :  02:51:09  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Ayunken-vanzan

Is there any Earth-tech or anything in the earlier volumes?

Nope - but the fourth part includes a visit to the Dragonriders of Pern another planet in Golarion's solar system.

Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2013 :  02:53:44  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'll try to write a bit about the other new releases this month once I've gotten home from work, but one that should be of interest to Candlekeepers is this month's Pathfinder Tale: The Wizard's Mask, by one Ed Greenwood.

Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2013 :  03:04:50  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, I am quite excited for Ed's first Pathfinder novel.

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
Go to Top of Page

Ayunken-vanzan
Senior Scribe

Germany
657 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2013 :  06:05:18  Show Profile  Visit Ayunken-vanzan's Homepage Send Ayunken-vanzan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ed Greenwood is also featured in these week's web fiction blog with the story: "A Matter of Knives".

"What mattered our lives now? When our world had been torn from us? Folk wept, or drank, or stood staring out over the land, wondering what new horror each dawn would bring."
Elender Stormfall of Suzail

"Anyone can kill deities, cause plagues, or destroy organizations. It takes real skill to make them live on."
Varl

FR/D&D-Links 2ed Downloads
Go to Top of Page

Marc
Senior Scribe

657 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2013 :  20:28:26  Show Profile Send Marc a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm running a small part of the Reign of Winter in Sigil, the mirror men and winter fey. Other parts aren't that interesting, especially Triaxus, least of all Distant Worlds.

Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2013 :  22:40:47  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am also REALLY looking forward to Kobolds of Golarion.

* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2013 :  23:04:29  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hawkins

I am also REALLY looking forward to Kobolds of Golarion.

I just downloaded that and all of this month's offerings last night... Haven't even had a chance to open the pdfs, though. I've got 2.5 hours left in my shift tonight; I'm hoping it stays quiet enough for me to knock out the Exchange tickets and get to those pdfs.

Go to Top of Page

Quale
Master of Realmslore

1757 Posts

Posted - 20 Jun 2013 :  14:12:46  Show Profile Send Quale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Really looking forward to Bestiary 4, it will have a lot of monsters from mythology suggested by fans.
Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 20 Jun 2013 :  19:30:16  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A new interview with Ed about his Pathfinder Tales novel, The Wizard's Mask. I found myself reading all of Ed's responses in his voice.

* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 07 Jul 2013 :  10:37:04  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Stuff revealed at the PaizoCon banquet (and a few days earlier):

Pathfinder Campaign Setting
Osirion - Legacy of Pharaohs
Inner Sea Gods Hardcover
Inner Sea Combat

Pathfinder Player Companion
People of the Sands - about the peoples of northern Garund.
Bastards of Golarion - about various "half"-races and planetouched.
Champions of Balance
Undead Slayer's Handbook
Alchemy Manual

Pathfinder Tales (the novels, that is)
The Dagger of Trust, by Chris Willrich
Skinwalkers, by Wendy Wagner (for a novella with the same main character, look for Mother Bears among Paizo's web fiction stories.
The Redemption Engine, by James L Sutter - sequel to Death's Heretic

Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game: Strategy Guide" - a how-to book aimed at making the transition from the Beginner Box to the Core Rulebook and beyond easier, from what I can understand.

The next set in the pre-painted plastic miniatures line will be Legends of Golarion, featuring famous characters from Golarion, such as Queen Ileosa of Korvosa, a rather nasty Efreet from the cover of the final installment in the Legacy of Fire Adventure Path, and a Gargantuan Green Dragon as the set's promotional figure.

The Adventure Path following Wrath of the Righteous will be called Mummy's Mask and at the very least begins in Osirion, may contain influences from Stargate.

There's also a new card-set coming out called Social Combat.

And if anyone here were at this or last year's PaizoCon, you can be a Beta tester for Pathfinder Game Space.

Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Quale
Master of Realmslore

1757 Posts

Posted - 07 Jul 2013 :  13:29:18  Show Profile Send Quale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Looking forward to the Death's Heretic sequel, and the masks of Nyarlathotep.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 07 Jul 2013 :  15:06:02  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
These all sound good, but I'm particularly ecstatic over Osirion - Legacy of Pharaohs.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Dark Wizard
Senior Scribe

USA
830 Posts

Posted - 07 Jul 2013 :  19:56:35  Show Profile Send Dark Wizard a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yet again, Paizo gives me good excuses to continue my various subscriptions for another year. I look forward to more on Osirion (including People of the Sands covering northern Garund), Inner Sea Combat, Alchemy Handbook and maybe the Strategy Guide.

Is it me or does Inner Sea Gods seem like the kind of book everyone has requested for the Forgotten Realms but has never been produced, at least a topic not well covered since the 2E era trilogy on the deities.

quote:

From Inner Sea Gods Hardcover product blurb:

Put your faith in any of dozens of awe-inspiring deities with Pathfinder Campaign Setting: Inner Sea Gods. This 320-page hardcover sourcebook details the chief gods and goddesses of Golarion; hundreds of extraordinary demigods; the histories, dogmas, rituals, and secrets of faiths both righteous and profane; and much, much more.

New prestige classes, subdomains, and spells empower characters to be champions of their deities, while dozens of new traits, feats, magic items, and more unlock the power of the gods for characters of every class. Or unleash legions of otherworldly enemies and allies on your game, from mighty divine servants to the unstoppable heralds of each deity.

Make the power of the gods your own and bring the religions of Golarion to life with Pathfinder Campaign Setting: Inner Sea Gods!

Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 08 Jul 2013 :  18:27:09  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
At the Unofficial PaizoCon Meet & Eat on Thursday night my wife and I got to meet author Chris A. Jackson (who wrote Pirate's Honor) and his wife. They talked to us like normal people for 2 to 3 hours, and I learned that Pirate's Honor also has a sequel coming out next year.

* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 08 Jul 2013 :  19:31:06  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dark Wizard

Yet again, Paizo gives me good excuses to continue my various subscriptions for another year. I look forward to more on Osirion (including People of the Sands covering northern Garund), Inner Sea Combat, Alchemy Handbook and maybe the Strategy Guide.

Is it me or does Inner Sea Gods seem like the kind of book everyone has requested for the Forgotten Realms but has never been produced, at least a topic not well covered since the 2E era trilogy on the deities.

quote:

From Inner Sea Gods Hardcover product blurb:

Put your faith in any of dozens of awe-inspiring deities with Pathfinder Campaign Setting: Inner Sea Gods. This 320-page hardcover sourcebook details the chief gods and goddesses of Golarion; hundreds of extraordinary demigods; the histories, dogmas, rituals, and secrets of faiths both righteous and profane; and much, much more.

New prestige classes, subdomains, and spells empower characters to be champions of their deities, while dozens of new traits, feats, magic items, and more unlock the power of the gods for characters of every class. Or unleash legions of otherworldly enemies and allies on your game, from mighty divine servants to the unstoppable heralds of each deity.

Make the power of the gods your own and bring the religions of Golarion to life with Pathfinder Campaign Setting: Inner Sea Gods!

Considering that Golarion has a lot less deities than the Realms, this may have more history and such on the deities than the 2E godbooks did! I love those books, but I would love them more if every deity had a page or two more...

Bastards of Golarion also sounds interesting to me.

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 08 Jul 2013 19:31:32
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2013 :  17:35:35  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've had a thought, recently, about why Golarion hasn't grabbed me the same way the Realms has...

A lot of it is NPCs. We've got thousands of NPCs in the Realms, and a lot of them are quite interesting. Eliath Craulnobur. Tashara of the Seven Skulls. Baelam the Bold. Elsura Dauniir. Rhaligan Glarasteer. Matteo. Alias and her sisters. Halaster Blackcloak. Kyriani. And so many more...

Golarion has NPCs, sure, there are some in every regional book... But none of them have jumped out at me, and there just aren't a lot of them described...

Heck, all we have for Ptolus is one book and a couple of adventures -- but I still can think of at least a couple of intriguing NPCs, like the Iron Mage or Jevvica Noor. For Castlemourn, the Skull immediately comes to mind.

But for Golarion, there isn't a single NPC that readily springs to mind, other than those from a couple of the novels.

It also doesn't help that I don't have the same feeling of time progressing, as I do with the Realms.

Golarion is cool, don't get me wrong, and I've got a buttload of material for it. For a few years now, most of my gaming money has gone to Paizo.

But I'm not feeling like it's a living place. I don't know who lives there, and I don't see things happening. I love the Realms because it does live, and because I do know who lives there and what is happening in their world.

Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2013 :  18:22:49  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The only one that jumps to mind for me is Thaldrin Kreed, the head of the Lumber Consortium in Darkmoon Vale. He's pretty interesting (and hateful).

Funny, I was just working on my FR/Gol amalgam campaign this morning; decided to bring-in Thuvia and Rashadoum, even though I don't find them very interesting (they filled-in a much needed blank area, and they just happen to be culture-appropriate). Katapesh also just made the cut (after I un-merged Osirion from Mulhorand).

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2013 :  04:24:47  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

The only one that jumps to mind for me is Thaldrin Kreed, the head of the Lumber Consortium in Darkmoon Vale. He's pretty interesting (and hateful).

Funny, I was just working on my FR/Gol amalgam campaign this morning; decided to bring-in Thuvia and Rashadoum, even though I don't find them very interesting (they filled-in a much needed blank area, and they just happen to be culture-appropriate). Katapesh also just made the cut (after I un-merged Osirion from Mulhorand).

After given it even more thought, I finally recalled some of the iconics. Not all of them, but some of them. That's still not saying much, considering the volume of lore for Golarion.

There are a lot of really nifty lands and ideas in the setting -- I just need to see it come alive.

Go to Top of Page

SirUrza
Master of Realmslore

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2013 :  06:41:08  Show Profile Send SirUrza a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

But for Golarion, there isn't a single NPC that readily springs to mind, other than those from a couple of the novels.

Oh the pain!

Shaeleu Andosana, Queen Ileosa, the Whispering Tyrant, and heck.. now all the core iconics are fully realized thanks to the comics.

Of well, to each their own. :)

"Evil prevails when good men fail to act."
The original and unapologetic Arilyn, Aribeth, Seoni Fanboy.
Go to Top of Page

Matt James
Forgotten Realms Game Designer

USA
918 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2013 :  12:56:51  Show Profile Send Matt James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Quale

Really looking forward to Bestiary 4, it will have a lot of monsters from mythology suggested by fans.

I had a hand in this
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2013 :  13:07:23  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SirUrza

quote:

Oh the pain!

Shaeleu Andosana, Queen Ileosa, the Whispering Tyrant, and heck.. now all the core iconics are fully realized thanks to the comics.

Of well, to each their own. :)

Of those three, the only one I recognize is the Whispering Tyrant -- and since he's not active in the setting, I don't consider him an NPC.

I do like some of the iconics, but even they don't stand out for me the way a lot of FR NPCs do.

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 13 Aug 2013 13:08:30
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2013 :  13:48:33  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have to go with Wooly on this one - aside from Thaldrin Kreed, none them inspire any emotional response from me, very much unlike FR's NPCs.

They are interesting, but its stops there. I guess as I get into the setting more, hopefully that will change.

The same goes for a lot of the rest of the setting - some of it is like "thats pretty cool", and other things I am like, "whats the point?"

For example, Last Wall and Mendev. I understand that each exists to combat a different threat, but really... TWO paladin-type nations, 'out to save the world'? There is nothing I can't do in one that I can do in the other. The same goes for Isger and Nidal, etc (which are both kinda redundant with Cheliax itself). Nidal at least has a little different spin, but Isger... WTH? Pretty useless, IMHO.

Of course, on that note, I can't say FR is any better. They really need to cut-back on all the Middle-eastern type cultures, and stick those back down in Zakhara where they belong.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2013 :  16:00:27  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Matt James

quote:
Originally posted by Quale

I had a hand in this

Any hints on what you "handed," Matt?

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 35 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000