Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Plot...or Dungeoneering? (part 1 of 3)
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Aravine
Senior Scribe

USA
608 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2008 :  16:28:24  Show Profile  Visit Aravine's Homepage Send Aravine a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Poll Question:
As a player, which do you find more satisfying?

Why?

Choices:

Dungeoneering all the way! nothing can beat running through old holy places and the like
Dungeoneering, with plot sprinkled in.
Equal proportions of Plot and Dungeoneering
More plot than dungeoneering
Plot with Dungeoneering sprinkeled in
Plot all the way!

(Anonymous Vote)

The brave don't live forever,the cautious don't live at all

Edited by - Aravine on 14 Apr 2008 16:48:06

ShadezofDis
Senior Scribe

402 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2008 :  17:05:32  Show Profile  Visit ShadezofDis's Homepage Send ShadezofDis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I voted Plot with Dungeoneering sprinkled in.

I do this because I really don't care to play a dungeon after dungeon game, mostly dungeons seem pretty disconnected from the general world you're adventuring in and I don't like making characters who's goals are "Getting rich n getting better at what I do"

With that said, I certainly do enjoy the odd dungeon here and there, especially if there's some sort of plot hook involved. But just dungeoning. . . well. . . I own video games for that.
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2008 :  18:41:59  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What do you mean by plot? A storyline the PCs are run through? A plot created by the interaction of PCs and NPCs? Plots (plans) of NPCs?
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 15 Apr 2008 :  00:02:30  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Faraer poses a great question...note that plot does not equal roleplaying.

In the meantime, I'm inclined to vote for "more plot than dungeoneering".

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)

Edited by - Rinonalyrna Fathomlin on 15 Apr 2008 00:03:11
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 15 Apr 2008 :  00:33:04  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Again, Aravine, as I suggested in your other "Plot Poll," I think it would be best if you tried to include some clarification of the options available, along with examples that scribes can use as a reference.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

GRYPHON
Senior Scribe

USA
527 Posts

Posted - 15 Apr 2008 :  05:56:45  Show Profile Send GRYPHON a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Equal portions of plot and dungeoneering...

'Everyone dies...I only choose the time and place for a few.' --Eric Destler
Go to Top of Page

Daviot
Senior Scribe

USA
372 Posts

Posted - 15 Apr 2008 :  06:06:06  Show Profile  Visit Daviot's Homepage Send Daviot a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like more plot than dungeoneering, and normally the reason for entering yon dungeon is important to the plot. Just remember to bring yon eleven-foot pole.
In the course of a game spread over two college semesters, there's been three full dungeons and one mini-dungeon, and several months of plot in-between.

One usually has far more to fear from the soft-spoken wizard with a blade and well-worn boots than from the boisterous one in the ivory tower.
My Tabletop Writing CV.
Go to Top of Page

Marc
Senior Scribe

657 Posts

Posted - 15 Apr 2008 :  10:32:48  Show Profile Send Marc a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Plot with Dungeoneering sprinkeled in

Go to Top of Page

Dezmodu
Acolyte

Netherlands
17 Posts

Posted - 15 Apr 2008 :  16:34:00  Show Profile  Visit Dezmodu's Homepage Send Dezmodu a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think plot is important, becouse it encourages roleplay.
but lets not forget the fun of the wading thru a horde of zombies every once in a while so I'll say more plot than dungeoneering.

DeZ

paladin: Ignorance is no excuse!
Rogue: Why?
Paladin: I don't know.
Rogue: IGNORANCE IS NO EXCUSE!!!
Go to Top of Page

Victor_ograygor
Master of Realmslore

Denmark
1072 Posts

Posted - 15 Apr 2008 :  17:07:45  Show Profile  Visit Victor_ograygor's Homepage Send Victor_ograygor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I voted Plot with Dungeoneering sprinkled in.

There has to be an idear behind an adventure, ore you just end up hacking and slashing, and that not fun fore me and fore the other players.

There has to be an plot behind what’s happening, something that would make the players heal excited, ore an history/mystery to be shoveled

Victor Ograygor The Assassin and Candel keeps cellar master

Everything I need to know about life I learned from killing smart people.

Links related to Forgotten Realms
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9571

Adventuring / Mercenary Companies / Orders / The chosen from official sources
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=11047

Priests in Forgotten Realms.
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9609&whichpage=1

Edited by - Victor_ograygor on 15 Apr 2008 17:08:38
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 15 Apr 2008 :  18:15:28  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Plot with Dungeoneering sprinkled in. I think... Adventures usually develop on their own and I have enjoyed both types, it all depends on the mood and how things turn out. But then again, I never found D&D a good system for exiting fights, so Ill go with plot this time.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 15 Apr 2008 :  18:20:14  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A good mix of both - I prefer plot, but my players like action, so I mix it equally to keep us all happy.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 15 Apr 2008 18:22:51
Go to Top of Page

BARDOBARBAROS
Senior Scribe

Greece
581 Posts

Posted - 16 Apr 2008 :  07:57:03  Show Profile  Visit BARDOBARBAROS's Homepage Send BARDOBARBAROS a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Equal proportions of Plot and Dungeoneering

BARDOBARBAROS DOES NOT KILL.
HE DECAPITATES!!!

"The city changes, but the fools within it remain always the same" (Edwin Odesseiron- Baldur's gate 2)
Go to Top of Page

Aravine
Senior Scribe

USA
608 Posts

Posted - 16 Apr 2008 :  17:52:48  Show Profile  Visit Aravine's Homepage Send Aravine a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

note that plot does not equal roleplaying.

Indeed it doesn't. however, as a general rule, for me at least, more plot=more RP, however they are not directly connected

Go to Top of Page

Aravine
Senior Scribe

USA
608 Posts

Posted - 16 Apr 2008 :  17:55:55  Show Profile  Visit Aravine's Homepage Send Aravine a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Faraer

What do you mean by plot? A storyline the PCs are run through? A plot created by the interaction of PCs and NPCs? Plots (plans) of NPCs?

Story. for instance, do you like to Dungeon-hop over and over again, or do you enjoy following a Story that your DM has come up with? not plans of the PC. Do you like it like a Final Fantasy, or a game which involves a ton of dungeoneering

Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 16 Apr 2008 :  20:44:34  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I prefer the story to emerge from PCs' decisions in the situations that come up in play, based on the DM's planned or improvised environments, scenes, and characters. For instance, the Realms uses dungeons as settings for the PCs' struggles with rival power groups more than straight exploration and treasure-hunting.

While you can have fun with a pre-scripted plot, like the DL modules or Final Fantasy, I don't like that idea to overwhelm, so I voted for the second choice.
Go to Top of Page

Vangelor
Learned Scribe

USA
183 Posts

Posted - 17 Apr 2008 :  19:55:37  Show Profile Send Vangelor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I play a bard, built on the concept "elven loresinger". He is a scholar, with some magical skills with song, and being an elf does in fact know how to use his sword and bow as well... but he really comes into his own in diplomacy, social interactions, and history and lore - all far more useful in story-centered Roleplay. I like some dungeoneering, and my character can be useful there ("Why, yes - I do read Hamarfae!") - but I voted "Plot with Dungeoneering sprinkeled in".
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 18 Apr 2008 :  00:55:07  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Vangelor

I play a bard, built on the concept "elven loresinger". He is a scholar, with some magical skills with song, and being an elf does in fact know how to use his sword and bow as well... but he really comes into his own in diplomacy, social interactions, and history and lore - all far more useful in story-centered Roleplay.

My favorite reasons for playing the bard class.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 22 Apr 2008 :  16:58:39  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A well balanced diet of Plot and Dungeoneering

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000