Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Plot...or Dungeoneering? (part 1 of 3)

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Aravine Posted - 14 Apr 2008 : 16:28:24
As a player, which do you find more satisfying?

Why?
18   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Alisttair Posted - 22 Apr 2008 : 16:58:39
A well balanced diet of Plot and Dungeoneering
Rinonalyrna Fathomlin Posted - 18 Apr 2008 : 00:55:07
quote:
Originally posted by Vangelor

I play a bard, built on the concept "elven loresinger". He is a scholar, with some magical skills with song, and being an elf does in fact know how to use his sword and bow as well... but he really comes into his own in diplomacy, social interactions, and history and lore - all far more useful in story-centered Roleplay.

My favorite reasons for playing the bard class.
Vangelor Posted - 17 Apr 2008 : 19:55:37
I play a bard, built on the concept "elven loresinger". He is a scholar, with some magical skills with song, and being an elf does in fact know how to use his sword and bow as well... but he really comes into his own in diplomacy, social interactions, and history and lore - all far more useful in story-centered Roleplay. I like some dungeoneering, and my character can be useful there ("Why, yes - I do read Hamarfae!") - but I voted "Plot with Dungeoneering sprinkeled in".
Faraer Posted - 16 Apr 2008 : 20:44:34
I prefer the story to emerge from PCs' decisions in the situations that come up in play, based on the DM's planned or improvised environments, scenes, and characters. For instance, the Realms uses dungeons as settings for the PCs' struggles with rival power groups more than straight exploration and treasure-hunting.

While you can have fun with a pre-scripted plot, like the DL modules or Final Fantasy, I don't like that idea to overwhelm, so I voted for the second choice.
Aravine Posted - 16 Apr 2008 : 17:55:55
quote:
Originally posted by Faraer

What do you mean by plot? A storyline the PCs are run through? A plot created by the interaction of PCs and NPCs? Plots (plans) of NPCs?

Story. for instance, do you like to Dungeon-hop over and over again, or do you enjoy following a Story that your DM has come up with? not plans of the PC. Do you like it like a Final Fantasy, or a game which involves a ton of dungeoneering
Aravine Posted - 16 Apr 2008 : 17:52:48
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

note that plot does not equal roleplaying.

Indeed it doesn't. however, as a general rule, for me at least, more plot=more RP, however they are not directly connected
BARDOBARBAROS Posted - 16 Apr 2008 : 07:57:03
Equal proportions of Plot and Dungeoneering
Markustay Posted - 15 Apr 2008 : 18:20:14
A good mix of both - I prefer plot, but my players like action, so I mix it equally to keep us all happy.
Jorkens Posted - 15 Apr 2008 : 18:15:28
Plot with Dungeoneering sprinkled in. I think... Adventures usually develop on their own and I have enjoyed both types, it all depends on the mood and how things turn out. But then again, I never found D&D a good system for exiting fights, so Ill go with plot this time.
Victor_ograygor Posted - 15 Apr 2008 : 17:07:45
I voted Plot with Dungeoneering sprinkled in.

There has to be an idear behind an adventure, ore you just end up hacking and slashing, and that not fun fore me and fore the other players.

There has to be an plot behind what’s happening, something that would make the players heal excited, ore an history/mystery to be shoveled
Dezmodu Posted - 15 Apr 2008 : 16:34:00
I think plot is important, becouse it encourages roleplay.
but lets not forget the fun of the wading thru a horde of zombies every once in a while so I'll say more plot than dungeoneering.

DeZ
Marc Posted - 15 Apr 2008 : 10:32:48
Plot with Dungeoneering sprinkeled in
Daviot Posted - 15 Apr 2008 : 06:06:06
I like more plot than dungeoneering, and normally the reason for entering yon dungeon is important to the plot. Just remember to bring yon eleven-foot pole.
In the course of a game spread over two college semesters, there's been three full dungeons and one mini-dungeon, and several months of plot in-between.
GRYPHON Posted - 15 Apr 2008 : 05:56:45
Equal portions of plot and dungeoneering...
The Sage Posted - 15 Apr 2008 : 00:33:04
Again, Aravine, as I suggested in your other "Plot Poll," I think it would be best if you tried to include some clarification of the options available, along with examples that scribes can use as a reference.
Rinonalyrna Fathomlin Posted - 15 Apr 2008 : 00:02:30
Faraer poses a great question...note that plot does not equal roleplaying.

In the meantime, I'm inclined to vote for "more plot than dungeoneering".
Faraer Posted - 14 Apr 2008 : 18:41:59
What do you mean by plot? A storyline the PCs are run through? A plot created by the interaction of PCs and NPCs? Plots (plans) of NPCs?
ShadezofDis Posted - 14 Apr 2008 : 17:05:32
I voted Plot with Dungeoneering sprinkled in.

I do this because I really don't care to play a dungeon after dungeon game, mostly dungeons seem pretty disconnected from the general world you're adventuring in and I don't like making characters who's goals are "Getting rich n getting better at what I do"

With that said, I certainly do enjoy the odd dungeon here and there, especially if there's some sort of plot hook involved. But just dungeoning. . . well. . . I own video games for that.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000