Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Forgotten Realms Trivia Challenge 2.0
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 72

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6354 Posts

Posted - 08 Jul 2016 :  13:56:48  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Im betting its a book.

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 08 Jul 2016 :  16:35:18  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Today's hint: it comes from a short adventure that, if I'm not mistaken, fell through the cracks when TSR was bought out by Wizards in 1997.
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6648 Posts

Posted - 09 Jul 2016 :  03:36:20  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Masked Mage

Today's hint: it comes from a short adventure that, if I'm not mistaken, fell through the cracks when TSR was bought out by Wizards in 1997.

Is it a published adventure? I can't quite work out what "fell through the cracks" means.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus

Edited by - George Krashos on 09 Jul 2016 03:56:59
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 09 Jul 2016 :  21:25:32  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't think it was ever officially published - though I might be wrong there - it could have found its way out somewhere along the way in dungeon or something - maybe it only was released at GenCon. I'm not sure. All I have is a old scan from the 90s. (All my FR books are PDF these days).
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6648 Posts

Posted - 10 Jul 2016 :  03:47:08  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I don't think it was ever officially published - though I might be wrong there - it could have found its way out somewhere along the way in dungeon or something - maybe it only was released at GenCon. I'm not sure. All I have is a old scan from the 90s. (All my FR books are PDF these days).

Umm, if there is no way anyone is likely to have access to the source you mention, how is it that they can answer your lore question???

Just saying.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 10 Jul 2016 :  04:40:15  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Agreed. The challenge is limited to published material that is at least somewhat readily available.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 10 Jul 2016 :  11:13:23  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It comes from Thaldigar's Tower. Before asking I googled the title and the name Dabratha. The adventure came up with a number of results, including a page you can download the PDF and even a scroll or two talking about it here at Candlekeep so I figured it was not out of the realm of possibility for guys like you to know/have it, or even have played it long ago like I did. The name came up with no results, so no one could quickly google the answer if they had no idea.
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6354 Posts

Posted - 10 Jul 2016 :  12:02:16  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Any decent lore in this adventure? If so then im going to have to try and get it.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 10 Jul 2016 :  19:00:45  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Meh - interesting stuff as is always the case with adventures Ed put together, but as far as world shaping lore, no. A couple "characters" and some very interesting magic left behind in a tower that Elminster got to some time before you. I remembered it because the answer to the question is that Dabratha is a wizard's (Thaldigar's) apprentice that was turned into a mask. In a sense, the ultimate "Masked Mage" :D
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6354 Posts

Posted - 10 Jul 2016 :  19:06:03  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thats it, i must have it. Now where can i get a time machine from to obtain this manuscript.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 13 Jul 2016 :  03:42:11  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Since that question was a bust, I think I will go on and give a new one.

Was was the first published realms monster? Please provide year and source (in case the answer I have is wrong and someone knows of an earlier one I've never seen :) )
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6648 Posts

Posted - 13 Jul 2016 :  04:11:12  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Curst, Dragon #30, 1979.

-- George Krashos

Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 13 Jul 2016 :  05:02:17  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Lol - yep - your turn Krash. Lets see if you can find one at a medium difficulty level - I seem to only choose too difficult or too simple. :)
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6648 Posts

Posted - 13 Jul 2016 :  05:46:40  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Okay, here we go: What is the name of the tower located on the island of Ulm's Hand?

-- George Krashos

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 13 Jul 2016 :  08:10:44  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Arrrghh! I was researching Ulm's Hand just last week. And, wouldn't you know it... when I needed what I've learned, now, I can't recall the tower's name offhand.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6648 Posts

Posted - 13 Jul 2016 :  10:37:48  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

Arrrghh! I was researching Ulm's Hand just last week. And, wouldn't you know it... when I needed what I've learned, now, I can't recall the tower's name offhand.

-- George Krashos

Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 13 Jul 2016 :  13:25:07  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I got nothin on that one. Well played sir :)
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 13 Jul 2016 :  15:11:22  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I found the answer... But I'm going to leave the question live until I come up with a decent question.

I'm also going to have to go back and re-read the source that answers this one... It's been quite some time since I read it.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2016 :  02:24:07  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
From page 82 of Dragon 164, in Ed's article "What has he got in his pocketses, anyway?":

quote:
"So you have come at last. Know, before the Dark Dragons devour the world, that there is a way to defeat them: Find the Whip of Mastery. It lies in the Tower of Crymon, on the island of Ulm's Hand in the Nelanther. Waste no time."

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2016 :  02:25:52  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My question:

Name the powerful, respected spellcaster who perished at the battle of the River Rising, after becoming a pillar of living flame and blazing across the battlefield to destroy their foes.

Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6648 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2016 :  02:57:29  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

My question:

Name the powerful, respected spellcaster who perished at the battle of the River Rising, after becoming a pillar of living flame and blazing across the battlefield to destroy their foes.

I'll let someone else have a turn.

-- George Krashos

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2016 :  04:17:21  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

My question:

Oh, this one I know off-hand, because he featured pretty prominently in my 2015 series of campaigns based on Kossuth worshippers.

Answer being:- Mhzentul.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2016 :  10:17:20  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

My question:

Oh, this one I know off-hand, because he featured pretty prominently in my 2015 series of campaigns based on Kossuth worshippers.

Answer being:- Mhzentul.

And here I had prepared a bunch of clues referencing his rings, including a Sauron reference...

Take it away, friend Sage!

Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2016 :  10:27:44  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For those who did not know where Sage got that one, its from Volo's Guide To All Things Magical, where there is a description of the Seven Lost Rings.
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2016 :  10:31:08  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

Okay, here we go: What is the name of the tower located on the island of Ulm's Hand?

-- George Krashos
quote:

From page 82 of Dragon 164, in Ed's article "What has he got in his pocketses, anyway?":

quote:
"So you have come at last. Know, before the Dark Dragons devour the world, that there is a way to defeat them: Find the Whip of Mastery. It lies in the Tower of Crymon, on the island of Ulm's Hand in the Nelanther. Waste no time."

Somehow I never read this article. Nice. Great treasures descriptions.

Edited by - The Masked Mage on 14 Jul 2016 10:34:01
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2016 :  11:57:07  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

For those who did not know where Sage got that one, its from Volo's Guide To All Things Magical, where there is a description of the Seven Lost Rings.

Indeed. It's one of my fave Realms sources. I just opened it up and started looking for something to use as a trivia question.

Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2016 :  12:19:48  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It is interesting to note that the sources for the last two questions also have a connection. Apparently, the article "What has he got in his pocketses, anyway?" introduced the Wyvern Crown of Cormyr, which is also among the artifacts described in some detail at the end of Volo's Guide To All Things Magical.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2016 :  13:38:19  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

It is interesting to note that the sources for the last two questions also have a connection. Apparently, the article "What has he got in his pocketses, anyway?" introduced the Wyvern Crown of Cormyr, which is also among the artifacts described in some detail at the end of Volo's Guide To All Things Magical.

That article was in the second issue of Dragon that I bought, long before I became a fan of the Realms. I don't think I've read it since it first came out.

Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2016 :  14:44:28  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So, Sage, which is your question?

And Masked Mage, your previous questions are not too simple. I've just recently taken my players in - and out - of Undermountain by having an important item stolen by the Black Viper.

"Goodness is not a natural state, but must be
fought for to be attained and maintained.
Lead by example.
Let your deeds speak your intentions.
Goodness radiated from the heart."

The Paladin's Virtues, excerpt from the "Quentin's Monograph"
(by Ed Greenwood)
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2016 :  15:36:08  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Actually, there's an earlier reference, as I recall.

I'm going from memory, but Mhzentul was first mentioned [along with the events pertaining to Wooly's question] in the 1e FR boxed set.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 72 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000