Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Netherese Government
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Naeryndam
Learned Scribe

USA
115 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2008 :  01:24:54  Show Profile Send Naeryndam a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Does anyone know how ancient Netheril was governed?

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2008 :  01:29:53  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Read the chapter on Netheril in Lost Empires of Faerūn, and the relevant sections in the Netheril boxed set, available as a free PDF download at WotC. They both provide some basic details on this, concentrating specifically on the various Ages of Netherese history. Briefly though, I would say that this depends upon which Age of Netheril you're thinking about.

During the First Age, the collection of Netherese realms were likely ruled by whatever authority the Alliance of Seventon established between the various villages that came together for mutual defense and protection. A representative council of sorts.

Through the Nether Age, and the beginnings of Netherese arcane research using the Nether Scrolls, I would say that we start seeing how the Arcanists slowly begin rising to positions of authority and power throughout the various settlements. It's here that the divide [that becomes more definite as times passes] between Arcanists, and the rest of the people of Netheril, begins. More ruling by councils, perhaps, with the increasing power of the Arcanists ensuring they have their own little platform of influence throughout the realm.

In the Mythallar Age, I assume we would continue to see the split, in power and authority over the "lordship" of Netheril, expand as both Arcanists in Low, and now High, Netheril carve out their own "pieces" of the growing Empire for themselves. The most prominent and powerful Arcanists, who use the magic granted by the mythallar to create their enclaves, become the traditionally recognised "rulers" of the various floating states of High Netheril. The demesnes of Low Netheril, which are ruled by those Arcanists of lesser-stature and/or power, remain much like the older Netherese domains of previous Ages.

During the Silver Age, Netheril's government apparently becomes something very much like a Council of Arcanists -- referred to as the High Mages of Netheril -- which is comprised, mainly, of the most prominent wizards of both Low and High Netheril. Again, however, I can see the Arcanists of High Netheril having more influence and putting their own concerns ahead of those representing the peoples of Low Netheril.

In the Golden Age, the Age of Discovery, and the Shadowed Age, I can see the political structure of Netheril remaining very much as it was during the Silver Age for the most part, with notable instances of increased political disputes between Arcanists of Low and High Netheril. Very little being achieved politically, or at least, not easily. Arcanists are expanding their own individual power bases, as well as the Empire, almost always at the expense of neighbouring realms and/or their political enemies. The growing influence of the phaerimms during the Shadowed Age, results in the initial weakening of Arcanist power throughout Netheril.

The Diaspora is, of course, where everything falls apart. I can't see much in the way of unified government for Netheril during this period. It's more likely that those Arcanists, and other Netherese individuals with positions of influence, in the chaos both during and after Karsus's Folly, attempt mad-power grabs in an effort to hold onto whatever they can of old Netheril. They are worrying less about what's happening beyond the borders of regions they may have come to rule, and more about what they, personally, can maintain.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1796 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2008 :  04:26:13  Show Profile Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Naeryndam: Netheril was governed by a super-intelligent advanced Unseen Servant who could instantly replicate itself into a million copies of itself and teleport anywhere within that realm. I think one of their archmages made it via an Epic Spell called "Allgorhh's Self-Sustaining Ethereal Net"

Go to Top of Page

tauster
Senior Scribe

Germany
399 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2008 :  10:34:03  Show Profile  Visit tauster's Homepage Send tauster a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A great summary. Thank you for that, Sage!
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6646 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2008 :  02:00:08  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, a very good summary Sage. The only problem with it was the paucity of information to summarise. I've had a few musings about Netheril's history of late and have started a timeline (amongst many) which will fill in some gaps eventually.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2008 :  02:21:58  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Indeed. I had to string together some tidbits from various sources, among them, the "Netherese"-related novels, the original boxed set and, of course, Lost Empires of Faerūn. And there's a few bits of speculation in there [based on what we know] that exist mainly because, as George notes above, there is a clear lack of sufficient detail on how the government of Netheril actually worked.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Brian R. James
Forgotten Realms Game Designer

USA
1098 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2008 :  02:29:32  Show Profile  Visit Brian R. James's Homepage Send Brian R. James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
New timelines from Krashos! Woo Hoo.

Brian R. James - Freelance Game Designer

Follow me on Twitter @brianrjames
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2008 :  13:31:24  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hopefully I can eventually finish doing my "Sources on Netheril" to add to any of that.

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 16 Apr 2008 :  23:04:47  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wasn't the earliest form of Netherese government (pre-Nether Scrolls) community decision-making?

I have a mouth, but I am in a library and must not scream.

Feed the poor and stroke your ego, too: http://www.freerice.com/index.php.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000