Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Ruined Orc City within the Thar
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Wenin
Senior Scribe

585 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2007 :  05:03:38  Show Profile Send Wenin a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
In Elminster's Ecologies, "The Great Gray Land of Thar", last pages it talks of the Ogre kingdom that existed around 400 DR. It also talks of tales from the Orcs that they had kingdoms in this area as well.

In 2nd edition's, The Moonsea's Player Guide, there are two short blurbs, one mentioning an Orc Fortress (p 29) south of Dragonspine Mountains, and an Ruined Orc City (p 32). I've misplaced the map that came with the book.

Does anyone know if these sites were given specific locations?

Any other materials that cover this topic (Orc kingdom)?

Session Reports posted at RPG Geek.
Stem the Tide Takes place in Mistledale.
Dark Curtains - Takes place in the Savage North, starting in Nesmé. I wrapped my campaign into the Hoard of the Dragon Queen, but it takes place in 1372 DR.

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2007 :  05:26:30  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Check out the module Sons of Gruumsh for the Orcs and the 2nd book of the Year of rogue dragon trilogy for the Ogres

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Wenin
Senior Scribe

585 Posts

Posted - 02 Apr 2007 :  01:59:34  Show Profile Send Wenin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I found a reference in Moonsea (2nd edition).

Gazzeth is the name of the city, and isn't actually in Thar, but along the coast of the Moonsea.

Anyone know of some other references to this ruined city?

Session Reports posted at RPG Geek.
Stem the Tide Takes place in Mistledale.
Dark Curtains - Takes place in the Savage North, starting in Nesmé. I wrapped my campaign into the Hoard of the Dragon Queen, but it takes place in 1372 DR.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 02 Apr 2007 :  02:25:15  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Gazzeth sat just south of the furtherest southern reaches of Thar, and SE of Thentia itself, along the northern coast of the Moonsea.

I don't immediately recall any other detailed references for the ruined city.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 02 Apr 2007 02:26:40
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 22 Apr 2008 :  03:23:57  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

Gazzeth sat just south of the furtherest southern reaches of Thar, and SE of Thentia itself, along the northern coast of the Moonsea.

I don't immediately recall any other detailed references for the ruined city.

This city Gazzeth...it is a ruined orc city then? Or am I mistaken.

Does anyone have extended information about Gazzeth, Red Claws, Bone Tower, Bloodskull Keep, Rosestone Abbey or Wailing Tower?

The newest map of Thar includes these locations as either fortresses or as ruins...any information at all would be useful to me.

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 22 Apr 2008 :  04:01:19  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Gazzeth is a ruined orc city, yes. It's noted as such on the maps for The Moonsea tome.

There's some further brief info on the ruined city in the aforementioned book as well.

As for those other locations... I don't recall them being specifically detailed in any particular sources. It may be that they were intentionally generated for the new map of Thar. And Rich Baker did include some tidbits in his "The Tribes of Thar" Realmslore article at WotC -- there's brief sections on Red Claws and the Bloodskull Keep.

Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 22 Apr 2008 :  04:58:48  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

Gazzeth is a ruined orc city, yes. It's noted as such on the maps for The Moonsea tome.

There's some further brief info on the ruined city in the aforementioned book as well.

As for those other locations... I don't recall them being specifically detailed in any particular sources. It may be that they were intentionally generated for the new map of Thar. And Rich Baker did include some tidbits in his "The Tribes of Thar" Realmslore article at WotC -- there's brief sections on Red Claws and the Bloodskull Keep.

Thanks for the info Sage!

I got the map originally from the article by Rich...but my head is so full of stuff lately (from starting my 1st Ed game all the way to consulting with Physicists!) that I had totally forgotten about the article itself!

Thanks again.

Any other information would be great though...I think I'll re-read that article and then go over and ask Rich if he has anything he can add...

Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 22 Apr 2008 :  05:28:21  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Now I feel silly...can't find the dang article!

Can anyone give me a link?

EDIT: nevermind....found it

Edited by - Dalor Darden on 22 Apr 2008 05:31:34
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 22 Apr 2008 :  05:57:36  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dalor Darden

I think I'll re-read that article and then go over and ask Rich if he has anything he can add...
'Tis a good idea. Rich may even have a few extra tidbits to share about those undetailed locations, bits that didn't make it into the article.

Go to Top of Page

Brenigin
Learned Scribe

New Zealand
117 Posts

Posted - 22 Apr 2008 :  09:34:34  Show Profile  Visit Brenigin's Homepage Send Brenigin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It may be that some of those locations are new to Relamslore, invented by Rich for his upcoming novel Swordmage.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000