Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Novels containing the deity Helm
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Apocalypse
Acolyte

United Kingdom
3 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2008 :  11:04:34  Show Profile  Visit Apocalypse's Homepage Send Apocalypse a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hey there, I'm new to the forums and have a specific question: What novels are there that have the deity Helm play a role? I really like this deity and I enjoyed reading the part he had to play in the avatar series. Scott Ciencin did a good job of detailing him in Shadowdale and Tantras, but I'm hungry to read more about him.

Thanks!

khorne
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1073 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2008 :  12:05:56  Show Profile  Visit khorne's Homepage Send khorne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
He's got a role, or at least his followers have, in the maztica series. But if you're a Helm fan, I recommend you avoid them, since the author Douglas Niles seems to have a rather unpleasant opinion of the watcher and his faitful...

If I were a ranger, I would pick NDA for my favorite enemy
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2008 :  15:08:01  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Apocalypse

Hey there, I'm new to the forums and have a specific question: What novels are there that have the deity Helm play a role? I really like this deity and I enjoyed reading the part he had to play in the avatar series. Scott Ciencin did a good job of detailing him in Shadowdale and Tantras, but I'm hungry to read more about him.

Thanks!

Do you want to read about the actual god, or are you also interested in his followers?

The Church of Helm and Helm's followers play a smallish (but not unimportant) role in book 2 of the House of Serpents series (Viper's Kiss).

I agree that you should probably avoid the novels by Douglas Niles if what you want is an enjoyable portrait of Helm and his Church, as that author tends to put Helm in a bad light (which is unfortunate, IMO).

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Apocalypse
Acolyte

United Kingdom
3 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2008 :  18:57:47  Show Profile  Visit Apocalypse's Homepage Send Apocalypse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Helm and/or his followers. Thanks for the suggestions. I'll look into House of the Serpents and see if it's the sort of book I'd read. I'll stay clear of the Maztica series, considering how I am a fan of Helm and I don't want to hear anymore downbeat things about the church of Helm, considering what's going to happen in preparation for 4ED rules : (
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 15 Apr 2008 :  00:51:33  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Steer clear of the Druidhome Trilogy as well (by Douglas Niles), as it's yet another story arc that makes Helm out to be a villain.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

TheArchPriest
Acolyte

Brazil
14 Posts

Posted - 15 Apr 2008 :  03:24:14  Show Profile  Visit TheArchPriest's Homepage Send TheArchPriest a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

Steer clear of the Druidhome Trilogy as well (by Douglas Niles), as it's yet another story arc that makes Helm out to be a villain.

Yes,these evil and chaotic people like to undermine the reputation of just and lawful churches
Anything LN is good

Black Flame Zealot
Influent Kossuthan Cleric

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000