Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Software
 Bodhi (Balder's gate 2:shadows of Amn)
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Aravine
Senior Scribe

USA
608 Posts

Posted - 17 Mar 2008 :  12:23:39  Show Profile  Visit Aravine's Homepage Send Aravine a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I was looking up "nothing" on Wiki, and I found out Bodhi is an enlightened state of conciencness(sp?) in buddism.

Thoughts pertaining to the character Bodhi?

The brave don't live forever,the cautious don't live at all

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 17 Mar 2008 :  13:06:22  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's likely nothing more than a coincidence. It's not all that uncommon to make up a fantasy name that either mirrors a real-world word in another langauge, or for two (or more!) different people to make up the same fantasy name.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 17 Mar 2008 :  14:59:52  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well I guess Vampirism could be considered an enlightened state of consciousness....then again maybe not....likely a coincidence

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

Aravine
Senior Scribe

USA
608 Posts

Posted - 17 Mar 2008 :  15:53:56  Show Profile  Visit Aravine's Homepage Send Aravine a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

It's likely nothing more than a coincidence. It's not all that uncommon to make up a fantasy name that either mirrors a real-world word in another langauge, or for two (or more!) different people to make up the same fantasy name.

No. It's not, but let's say it's not a coinicidence

It also refers to "nothing" in the same way nirvana does.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 17 Mar 2008 :  16:13:30  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Aravine

but let's say it's not a coinicidence

Why? Is there anything at all that supports the idea that the vampire's name was specifically chosen with a deeper meaning in mind?

Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 17 Mar 2008 :  16:15:51  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't think Bodhi the vampire has anything to do with Buddhism or enlightenment!

I'm with Wooly on this, I'd assume it was a coincidence.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Aravine
Senior Scribe

USA
608 Posts

Posted - 17 Mar 2008 :  16:18:19  Show Profile  Visit Aravine's Homepage Send Aravine a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

but let's say it's not a coinicidence

Why? Is there anything at all that supports the idea that the vampire's name was specifically chosen with a deeper meaning in mind?

Well, if they used Bohdi meaning "nothing, or empty" it would make perfect sense. If I remember correcty, she gave up her soul to become undead so that she could feel like she was alive. without her soul, she is "empty" or "nothing"

Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 17 Mar 2008 :  16:22:40  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If there was a deeper meaning behind the name, Aravine, I haven't heard of it. I'd suggest writing to the people who actually worked on the game (and even they might not recall perfectly--remember, this game came out around 7 years ago).

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
Go to Top of Page

Nimriel
Seeker

Sweden
51 Posts

Posted - 17 Mar 2008 :  21:18:52  Show Profile  Visit Nimriel's Homepage Send Nimriel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

[quote]
Well, if they used Bohdi meaning "nothing, or empty" it would make perfect sense. If I remember correcty, she gave up her soul to become undead so that she could feel like she was alive. without her soul, she is "empty" or "nothing"

Actually she just wanted her elven immortality back, but it didn't work so she stole some Bhaal-junk from Imoen instead.

Edited by - Nimriel on 17 Mar 2008 21:21:50
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2008 :  11:28:17  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This makes me think of the many other things that people have delved too deep into and read more into than needed (especially people who research dead people and assume why they did such and such like "so and so wrote about guys who smoked and ate in his books because that's what he liked to do") that sort of thing

Go to Top of Page

BARDOBARBAROS
Senior Scribe

Greece
581 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2008 :  11:32:35  Show Profile  Visit BARDOBARBAROS's Homepage Send BARDOBARBAROS a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think that there is no connection between Bodhi of baldur's gate 2 and buddism!

BARDOBARBAROS DOES NOT KILL.
HE DECAPITATES!!!

"The city changes, but the fools within it remain always the same" (Edwin Odesseiron- Baldur's gate 2)
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2008 :  14:25:22  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alisttair

This makes me think of the many other things that people have delved too deep into and read more into than needed...

That happens a lot with this particular game, in fact--for example, in BG1 there was a snooty noblewoman named Sendai, and in ToB there was a drow assassin named Sendai.

People were wondering if they were somehow the same person.

Go to Top of Page

Aravine
Senior Scribe

USA
608 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2008 :  14:39:22  Show Profile  Visit Aravine's Homepage Send Aravine a Private Message  Reply with Quote
People, People! Use your imagination! I'm not asking if there is a connection, but if ther was what could it be. Please don't say I think it's just a coincidence. I know that, it pobably is! what could it be, if it weren't? I made this topic to get people to use their imagination, not their logic.

now, most of, if not all of you, are role-players. so, you do have Imagination. Use it!

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2008 :  15:04:43  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
To what end?

Go to Top of Page

Aravine
Senior Scribe

USA
608 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2008 :  15:23:36  Show Profile  Visit Aravine's Homepage Send Aravine a Private Message  Reply with Quote
(Shakes head) does everything have to have a purpose? It is something to discuss, Much as the way many of the polls are, including the Alignment poll I made way back when. yes, Ideally everything has a purpose. But you know what? not everything does!so when a teacher tells me, find the radii of this circle. why? no purpose. sometimes it is just fun to exersize your brain, just to the end of exersizing your brain.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2008 :  15:44:07  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I can dig all that. I just don't see any point to trying to read into something that is just a coincidence.

I'm happy to use my brain for all sorts of moderately useless stuff, but I don't see any reason to do so here. I'd rather think on existing Realmslore, or make up my own, rather than try to justify a coincidental word choice.

Go to Top of Page

BARDOBARBAROS
Senior Scribe

Greece
581 Posts

Posted - 24 Mar 2008 :  01:14:07  Show Profile  Visit BARDOBARBAROS's Homepage Send BARDOBARBAROS a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

People, People! Use your imagination! I'm not asking if there is a connection, but if ther was what could it be. Please don't say I think it's just a coincidence. I know that, it pobably is! what could it be, if it weren't? I made this topic to get people to use their imagination, not their logic.

now, most of, if not all of you, are role-players. so, you do have Imagination. Use it!

OK..OK.. But I can't imagine anything!!

BARDOBARBAROS DOES NOT KILL.
HE DECAPITATES!!!

"The city changes, but the fools within it remain always the same" (Edwin Odesseiron- Baldur's gate 2)
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 25 Mar 2008 :  15:13:50  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Bodhi is ultimately the end of Irenicus!!!!!

Go to Top of Page

Ranin
Seeker

88 Posts

Posted - 25 Mar 2008 :  16:48:01  Show Profile  Visit Ranin's Homepage Send Ranin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Thats quite right indeedy Bhaal, for example, was a Phoenician Diety worshipped by Hannibal and the Carthaginians during the Punic Wars and Tyr is a diety in Norse mythology just to name a few examples

Listen to the silence of the wilds, in there lies the wisdom of ages.

Edited by - Ranin on 25 Mar 2008 16:52:37
Go to Top of Page

Aina Grey
Acolyte

Austria
43 Posts

Posted - 26 Mar 2008 :  18:42:33  Show Profile  Visit Aina Grey's Homepage Send Aina Grey a Private Message  Reply with Quote
D&D cosmology is generally stolen from the mythologies of the world (and Tolkien)
no coincidence
Go to Top of Page

Ulicus
Acolyte

United Kingdom
18 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2008 :  16:31:50  Show Profile  Visit Ulicus's Homepage Send Ulicus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't see how this could possibly be a coincidence.

It's not the sort of word you just "invent". I imagine BioWare knew full well where the word originated and were using it ironically. Besides, Bodhi most probably thought that the transition from mortal to vampire was an "awakening/enlightenment". ;)

"Bane" = "Xvim" = Cyric, Prince of Lies
Go to Top of Page

Alruane
Senior Scribe

USA
434 Posts

Posted - 24 Nov 2013 :  09:29:44  Show Profile Send Alruane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
She is still quite interesting, her background was a mystery for a while.

" I wonder if you are destined to be forgotten. Will your life fade in the shadow of greater beings?"
~Joneleth Irenicus

"Wisdom? My dear boy, wisdom is knowing that you do not know everything. Wisdom is realizing, a wise man ALWAYS has questions. Not answers."

~Alruane
Go to Top of Page

Tamsar
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
141 Posts

Posted - 26 Nov 2013 :  23:33:42  Show Profile Send Tamsar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Maybe someone at Bioware was a big Point break/Patrick Swayze fan?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0102685/?ref_=nv_sr_1

:)

Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page