Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Software
 Bodhi (Balder's gate 2:shadows of Amn)

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Aravine Posted - 17 Mar 2008 : 12:23:39
I was looking up "nothing" on Wiki, and I found out Bodhi is an enlightened state of conciencness(sp?) in buddism.

Thoughts pertaining to the character Bodhi?
22   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Tamsar Posted - 26 Nov 2013 : 23:33:42
Maybe someone at Bioware was a big Point break/Patrick Swayze fan?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0102685/?ref_=nv_sr_1

:)
Alruane Posted - 24 Nov 2013 : 09:29:44
She is still quite interesting, her background was a mystery for a while.
Ulicus Posted - 20 Apr 2008 : 16:31:50
I don't see how this could possibly be a coincidence.

It's not the sort of word you just "invent". I imagine BioWare knew full well where the word originated and were using it ironically. Besides, Bodhi most probably thought that the transition from mortal to vampire was an "awakening/enlightenment". ;)
Aina Grey Posted - 26 Mar 2008 : 18:42:33
D&D cosmology is generally stolen from the mythologies of the world (and Tolkien)
no coincidence
Ranin Posted - 25 Mar 2008 : 16:48:01
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

It's likely nothing more than a coincidence. It's not all that uncommon to make up a fantasy name that either mirrors a real-world word in another langauge, or for two (or more!) different people to make up the same fantasy name.

Thats quite right indeedy Bhaal, for example, was a Phoenician Diety worshipped by Hannibal and the Carthaginians during the Punic Wars and Tyr is a diety in Norse mythology just to name a few examples
Alisttair Posted - 25 Mar 2008 : 15:13:50
Bodhi is ultimately the end of Irenicus!!!!!
BARDOBARBAROS Posted - 24 Mar 2008 : 01:14:07
quote:
Originally posted by Aravine

People, People! Use your imagination! I'm not asking if there is a connection, but if ther was what could it be. Please don't say I think it's just a coincidence. I know that, it pobably is! what could it be, if it weren't? I made this topic to get people to use their imagination, not their logic.

now, most of, if not all of you, are role-players. so, you do have Imagination. Use it!

OK..OK.. But I can't imagine anything!!
Wooly Rupert Posted - 18 Mar 2008 : 15:44:07
I can dig all that. I just don't see any point to trying to read into something that is just a coincidence.

I'm happy to use my brain for all sorts of moderately useless stuff, but I don't see any reason to do so here. I'd rather think on existing Realmslore, or make up my own, rather than try to justify a coincidental word choice.
Aravine Posted - 18 Mar 2008 : 15:23:36
(Shakes head) does everything have to have a purpose? It is something to discuss, Much as the way many of the polls are, including the Alignment poll I made way back when. yes, Ideally everything has a purpose. But you know what? not everything does!so when a teacher tells me, find the radii of this circle. why? no purpose. sometimes it is just fun to exersize your brain, just to the end of exersizing your brain.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 18 Mar 2008 : 15:04:43
To what end?
Aravine Posted - 18 Mar 2008 : 14:39:22
People, People! Use your imagination! I'm not asking if there is a connection, but if ther was what could it be. Please don't say I think it's just a coincidence. I know that, it pobably is! what could it be, if it weren't? I made this topic to get people to use their imagination, not their logic.

now, most of, if not all of you, are role-players. so, you do have Imagination. Use it!
Rinonalyrna Fathomlin Posted - 18 Mar 2008 : 14:25:22
quote:
Originally posted by Alisttair

This makes me think of the many other things that people have delved too deep into and read more into than needed...

That happens a lot with this particular game, in fact--for example, in BG1 there was a snooty noblewoman named Sendai, and in ToB there was a drow assassin named Sendai.

People were wondering if they were somehow the same person.
BARDOBARBAROS Posted - 18 Mar 2008 : 11:32:35
I think that there is no connection between Bodhi of baldur's gate 2 and buddism!
Alisttair Posted - 18 Mar 2008 : 11:28:17
This makes me think of the many other things that people have delved too deep into and read more into than needed (especially people who research dead people and assume why they did such and such like "so and so wrote about guys who smoked and ate in his books because that's what he liked to do") that sort of thing
Nimriel Posted - 17 Mar 2008 : 21:18:52
quote:

[quote]
Well, if they used Bohdi meaning "nothing, or empty" it would make perfect sense. If I remember correcty, she gave up her soul to become undead so that she could feel like she was alive. without her soul, she is "empty" or "nothing"

Actually she just wanted her elven immortality back, but it didn't work so she stole some Bhaal-junk from Imoen instead.
Rinonalyrna Fathomlin Posted - 17 Mar 2008 : 16:22:40
If there was a deeper meaning behind the name, Aravine, I haven't heard of it. I'd suggest writing to the people who actually worked on the game (and even they might not recall perfectly--remember, this game came out around 7 years ago).
Aravine Posted - 17 Mar 2008 : 16:18:19
quote:

quote:

but let's say it's not a coinicidence

Why? Is there anything at all that supports the idea that the vampire's name was specifically chosen with a deeper meaning in mind?

Well, if they used Bohdi meaning "nothing, or empty" it would make perfect sense. If I remember correcty, she gave up her soul to become undead so that she could feel like she was alive. without her soul, she is "empty" or "nothing"
Rinonalyrna Fathomlin Posted - 17 Mar 2008 : 16:15:51
I don't think Bodhi the vampire has anything to do with Buddhism or enlightenment!

I'm with Wooly on this, I'd assume it was a coincidence.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 17 Mar 2008 : 16:13:30
quote:

but let's say it's not a coinicidence

Why? Is there anything at all that supports the idea that the vampire's name was specifically chosen with a deeper meaning in mind?
Aravine Posted - 17 Mar 2008 : 15:53:56
quote:

It's likely nothing more than a coincidence. It's not all that uncommon to make up a fantasy name that either mirrors a real-world word in another langauge, or for two (or more!) different people to make up the same fantasy name.

No. It's not, but let's say it's not a coinicidence

It also refers to "nothing" in the same way nirvana does.
Alisttair Posted - 17 Mar 2008 : 14:59:52
Well I guess Vampirism could be considered an enlightened state of consciousness....then again maybe not....likely a coincidence
Wooly Rupert Posted - 17 Mar 2008 : 13:06:22

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000