Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Book Club
 Undead: Chapters 6 - 11 & Epilogue
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 02 Jul 2008 :  21:36:27  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just finished reading Undead. With Canada Day yesterday, I had three days off work, and took advantage to read Unclean and Undead. Now I only wish we were February 09 so I could pick up and read Unholy because my eyes were glued to these books. Good work as always Mr.Byers

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 02 Jul 2008 :  23:08:32  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Glad you enjoyed them, Alisttair.
Go to Top of Page

Nefarious
Acolyte

USA
21 Posts

Posted - 06 Jul 2008 :  17:18:48  Show Profile  Visit Nefarious's Homepage Send Nefarious a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Richard Lee Byers, easily one of my favorite authors. This series so far has been fantastic.

My favorite characters have been Malark and Bareris (might as well throw Mirror in there too), both due to their inner turmoil (nicely developed throughout the books).
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 07 Jul 2008 :  02:38:10  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Nefarious. Glad you liked them.
Go to Top of Page

inexorable
Acolyte

11 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2008 :  21:18:34  Show Profile  Visit inexorable's Homepage Send inexorable a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey, just wanted to say that I liked your two books a lot. I thought they were well done and I always enjoy reading about dark characters.

Malark and Szass Tam are my favorite characters in your trilogy so far.

Bareris is probably my least favorite.

Couple points of contention I had with the end of Undead, nothing that ruined the story for me and I know this kind of falls into the category of game rules but...

You did a great job describing the atmosphere and the act of Nevron summoning a great demon in the Myrmyxicus, but just to have it dissolved by the Dream Vestige was kind of disappointing and really, if you go by the rules, not likely at all.

I didn't like that Bareris, Mirror, and Winddancer arrived in the nick of time to almost save Tammith. I mean, the boat she was on was far away from any kind of real fighting and with all the creatures to fight those three just happened to be around? Seemed forced to me and they didn't stop her from being destroyed... so why have them show up at all? Was it to offer, yet again, Bareris' whining insight into losing her and motivate him to go after the Dream Vestige?

I'm looking forward to the final book. I hope Tammith stays gone and the black hand gets royally worked by Szass Tam. I despise bane. I've always thought he was a pathetic deity that failed in just about everything he did so it would be nice to see him fail again in regards to the deal he made with Tam. He should have stayed dead in my opinion.

Anyway, overall, great job on both books.

Edited by - inexorable on 19 Jul 2008 21:20:23
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2008 :  23:25:00  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
inexorable: First off, glad you're enjoying the books.
With regard to your "points of contention," I generally try pretty hard not to argue with criticism from readers since this is almost always a losing game for writers. No matter what I say, I probably won't convince you that something that struck you as a flaw was really brilliantly done after all. You responded to the material like you responded to the material.
I will say, as I've said before, that the game rules are simplifications and abstractions. They turn what would be the far more complex and diversified reality of a fantasy world (you know, if it was real) into something something we can simulate with dice. Therefore, I don't think it's always necessary to adhere to the rules slavishly when writing fiction. In fact, the results can occasionally look pretty stupid if you do. For example, real human bodies don't operate on the basis of hit points, and if you write a fight scene as if your characters' bodies do, it can seem extremely peculiar.
As far as the fight on the ship is concerned, the ship is trying to stay out of combat, but in a fluid, constantly changing situation with other ships, sea monsters, and what have you maneuvering every which way. So maybe it's not always that far away from some of the more intense action. And maybe, as the flying characters zip around the sky looking for where they ought to engage the enemy next, they aren't always that far from the ship.
Beyond that, all I can tell you is that this particular dream vestige is powerful enough to cream the myrmixicus because having it be uber-powerful serves the purposes of the plot. And Bareris and the others fight on the ship because I was trying to create a certain dramatic effect (apparently it didn't work on you, but oh, well) and because this event moves Bareris in the direction I wanted him to go.
Go to Top of Page

inexorable
Acolyte

11 Posts

Posted - 23 Jul 2008 :  23:42:27  Show Profile  Visit inexorable's Homepage Send inexorable a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Richard Lee Byers

inexorable: First off, glad you're enjoying the books.
With regard to your "points of contention," I generally try pretty hard not to argue with criticism from readers since this is almost always a losing game for writers. No matter what I say, I probably won't convince you that something that struck you as a flaw was really brilliantly done after all. You responded to the material like you responded to the material.
I will say, as I've said before, that the game rules are simplifications and abstractions. They turn what would be the far more complex and diversified reality of a fantasy world (you know, if it was real) into something something we can simulate with dice. Therefore, I don't think it's always necessary to adhere to the rules slavishly when writing fiction. In fact, the results can occasionally look pretty stupid if you do. For example, real human bodies don't operate on the basis of hit points, and if you write a fight scene as if your characters' bodies do, it can seem extremely peculiar.
As far as the fight on the ship is concerned, the ship is trying to stay out of combat, but in a fluid, constantly changing situation with other ships, sea monsters, and what have you maneuvering every which way. So maybe it's not always that far away from some of the more intense action. And maybe, as the flying characters zip around the sky looking for where they ought to engage the enemy next, they aren't always that far from the ship.
Beyond that, all I can tell you is that this particular dream vestige is powerful enough to cream the myrmixicus because having it be uber-powerful serves the purposes of the plot. And Bareris and the others fight on the ship because I was trying to create a certain dramatic effect (apparently it didn't work on you, but oh, well) and because this event moves Bareris in the direction I wanted him to go.

Fair enough sir. Thanks for the responses.
I'm looking forward to your third installment.

Go to Top of Page

Crust
Learned Scribe

USA
273 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2008 :  13:49:30  Show Profile  Visit Crust's Homepage Send Crust a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just finished Undead the other day. I haven't read an FR book since The Orc King last November. Though I've somewhat stepped away from FR, there are authors that I always come back to. Greenwood, RAS, Cunningham... Byers is now a permanent part of that list.

Undead was awesome. At no time did I make this face or this face or this face while reading. Rock solid.

Undead contains those moments that I just gobble up in a good FR novel: Szass Tam and all of his awesome spellcasting. And THANK YOU for not boring us with magic missiles and lightning bolts. The spellcasting was innovative and interesting. Tam's summoning of Bane was fascinating. His use of undead minions was also interesting.

Xingax was still as interesting as ever. Tammith and her struggle was solid, and I liked how you worked a blood fiend into the mix.

Aoth is still great, and his play with the other characters was compelling and interesting. I also liked the idea that Bareris and others have been poisoned by events in Thay, as if they were once good-aligned but are now wholly evil. I was constantly wondering if any of the characters were truly good-aligned. My guess is Aoth was the only one of good alignment, but I could be wrong.

There's also a brutality to the novel that the narrator avoids addressing that I really found compelling. Take it for what it is: Thay.

The depiction of the zulkirs was also air tight. Nevron was particularly fascinating with his fiends, and Samas Kul was perfectly repulsive.

Lastly, and perhaps most-importantly, I was literally stunned and shocked with open-mouthed dismay when I learned that Mystra had died. That was handled wonderfully, and I was literally sitting in Starbucks, mouth agape, shaking my head, muttering, "Whoa..." Good stuff.

All in all, Undead did not contradict anything I've read before, it did not read like a rulebook, and it fit into the great puzzle of FR perfectly.

I must also say that Undead is a gamer's book, introducing monsters from the later Monster Manuals and Libris Mortis. I was so entertained identifying monsters like the drowned and dream vestige. I'm a nerd like that. It also acts as a fantastic piece of source materials for any DMs who wish to game in Thay, and that's a big draw for a DM such as myself.

I'm drooling for Unholy. Thanks for another great book, Mr. Byers.

"That's right, hurl back views that force ye to think by name-calling - 'tis the grand old tradition, let it not down! Anything to keep from having to think, or - Mystra forfend - change thy own views!"

Narnra glowered at her father. "Just how am I to learn how to think? By being taught by you?"

"Some folk in the Realms would give their lives for the chance to learn at my feet," Elminster said mildly. "Several already have."

~from Elminster's Daughter, Ed Greenwood

Edited by - Crust on 09 Sep 2008 17:51:34
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2008 :  13:51:46  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Glad you liked it, Crust.
Go to Top of Page

dirtywick
Seeker

69 Posts

Posted - 01 Oct 2008 :  23:03:13  Show Profile  Visit dirtywick's Homepage Send dirtywick a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My favorite character was Dmitra. Anyway, really looking forward to the next book. Seemed like everything was pretty nicely wrapped up in the last one, so I really have no idea what to expect and the first two books speak well for the promise of the third.

Subtlety of Thay Ch 1 and Ch 2 NWN2 Module
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 02 Oct 2008 :  02:16:30  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Glad you liked it, dirtywick.
I promise, there is something left to happen in Book 3.
Go to Top of Page

Chrono74
Acolyte

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 30 Dec 2008 :  23:07:09  Show Profile  Visit Chrono74's Homepage Send Chrono74 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi, brand new here..Happy New Year.

This is my first non Salvatore FR novel in about 10 years. In fact, the last books I read were the Time of Troubles books..Waterdeep etc etc. I happened to be in Books-a-Million a few weeks ago and bought this new series by Mr Byers. It was really a random purchase and WOW. Loving it so far..though killing Mystra and this Spellplague reminds me of the nonsense that Dragonlance did some years back when they got rid of the gods. Love Aoth and Baeris. I suppose I may be the only one that enjoyed reading the Baeris/Tammith subplot. and I had myself invested in that storyline..and killing off Tammith was really annoying. Spending soo much time rebuilding her and making her a very interesting character, only to kill her off...man. I was envisioning Baeris/Tammith novels down the road.
Outside killing her off, I will read the next book with great excitement, and thanks for bringing me back into the Realms Mr Byers. Do you recommend any other important books I should be reading in the Realms to bring me up to date?
Go to Top of Page

ekidhardt
Acolyte

1 Posts

Posted - 08 Jul 2009 :  10:45:04  Show Profile  Visit ekidhardt's Homepage Send ekidhardt a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey!

First, how awesome is it we get to talk to the author directly--course, this post is a good year+ old. Looks like I missed the boat.

Wanted to say that I greatly enjoyed the novels and that the characters were fantastic. Didn't see the vampire/bard love affair coming!

Does an undead bard sing still? Old crypt tunes and rough soil condition ballads?

Szass Tam is great--I like his polite yet, ruthless qualities. It's sort of my personality in online RPG's--I'm all about warfare and killing, but endlessly dignified as I do it.

I guess since I'm way behind the times, I'll have to pick up the 3rd book tomorrow.

The first half of this book had me completely glued by the way, I stayed up late enough that I was very undead-like at work the following day; much like I will be tomorrow for "oh I only have 75 pages left and it's 2am, I'll stop after 5..." mentality.

Anywho--great books so far and I look forward to reading the next one.
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 29 Jul 2010 :  08:28:17  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

An excellent book! Bravo, Richard! You've outdone yourself again!

I really hope you'll revisit Thay after your Brotherhood of the G. trilogy. Is that too soon?

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

Tremaine
Seeker

United Kingdom
86 Posts

Posted - 18 Dec 2010 :  11:37:38  Show Profile Send Tremaine a Private Message  Reply with Quote
hehe excellent book whats good about starting so late is there's no need to wait for the 3rd book to come out i can start straight away ;-)

I'm not a fan of thay and red wizards so for me to enjoy this Tale you did an exellent job

Scene with Bane and Tam was great was a pleasant surprise as I like reading about Gods and very powerful charcters in novels and any scene with Tam in it was great not had so much fun reading about a lich since Gene DeWeese with his ravenloft books on Azalin and his plan to become a demi lich to escape from the mists you novel felt like a ravenloft book with all the dark happenings in it

A long time ago I read a brilliant Dragonlance short story by Roger E Moore called "Dead on Target" where the hero becomes a rev'nant. is that what Bareris now is?

I liked the little sub plot where Aoth finds it hard to trust Bareris again after he casted a spell on him

I also find Mirror and Bareris partnership great fun to read
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000