Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Book Club
 Undead: Chapters 6 - 11 & Epilogue

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Alaundo Posted - 05 Mar 2008 : 21:30:28
Well met

This is a Book Club thread for Undead (Book 2 of The Haunted Lands), by Richard Lee Byers. Please discuss chapters 6 - 11 and the epilogue herein.
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Tremaine Posted - 18 Dec 2010 : 11:37:38
hehe excellent book whats good about starting so late is there's no need to wait for the 3rd book to come out i can start straight away ;-)

I'm not a fan of thay and red wizards so for me to enjoy this Tale you did an exellent job

Scene with Bane and Tam was great was a pleasant surprise as I like reading about Gods and very powerful charcters in novels and any scene with Tam in it was great not had so much fun reading about a lich since Gene DeWeese with his ravenloft books on Azalin and his plan to become a demi lich to escape from the mists you novel felt like a ravenloft book with all the dark happenings in it

A long time ago I read a brilliant Dragonlance short story by Roger E Moore called "Dead on Target" where the hero becomes a rev'nant. is that what Bareris now is?

I liked the little sub plot where Aoth finds it hard to trust Bareris again after he casted a spell on him

I also find Mirror and Bareris partnership great fun to read
Dennis Posted - 29 Jul 2010 : 08:28:17

An excellent book! Bravo, Richard! You've outdone yourself again!

I really hope you'll revisit Thay after your Brotherhood of the G. trilogy. Is that too soon?
ekidhardt Posted - 08 Jul 2009 : 10:45:04
Hey!

First, how awesome is it we get to talk to the author directly--course, this post is a good year+ old. Looks like I missed the boat.

Wanted to say that I greatly enjoyed the novels and that the characters were fantastic. Didn't see the vampire/bard love affair coming!

Does an undead bard sing still? Old crypt tunes and rough soil condition ballads?

Szass Tam is great--I like his polite yet, ruthless qualities. It's sort of my personality in online RPG's--I'm all about warfare and killing, but endlessly dignified as I do it.

I guess since I'm way behind the times, I'll have to pick up the 3rd book tomorrow.

The first half of this book had me completely glued by the way, I stayed up late enough that I was very undead-like at work the following day; much like I will be tomorrow for "oh I only have 75 pages left and it's 2am, I'll stop after 5..." mentality.

Anywho--great books so far and I look forward to reading the next one.
Chrono74 Posted - 30 Dec 2008 : 23:07:09
Hi, brand new here..Happy New Year.

This is my first non Salvatore FR novel in about 10 years. In fact, the last books I read were the Time of Troubles books..Waterdeep etc etc. I happened to be in Books-a-Million a few weeks ago and bought this new series by Mr Byers. It was really a random purchase and WOW. Loving it so far..though killing Mystra and this Spellplague reminds me of the nonsense that Dragonlance did some years back when they got rid of the gods. Love Aoth and Baeris. I suppose I may be the only one that enjoyed reading the Baeris/Tammith subplot. and I had myself invested in that storyline..and killing off Tammith was really annoying. Spending soo much time rebuilding her and making her a very interesting character, only to kill her off...man. I was envisioning Baeris/Tammith novels down the road.
Outside killing her off, I will read the next book with great excitement, and thanks for bringing me back into the Realms Mr Byers. Do you recommend any other important books I should be reading in the Realms to bring me up to date?
Richard Lee Byers Posted - 02 Oct 2008 : 02:16:30
Glad you liked it, dirtywick.
I promise, there is something left to happen in Book 3.
dirtywick Posted - 01 Oct 2008 : 23:03:13
My favorite character was Dmitra. Anyway, really looking forward to the next book. Seemed like everything was pretty nicely wrapped up in the last one, so I really have no idea what to expect and the first two books speak well for the promise of the third.
Richard Lee Byers Posted - 09 Sep 2008 : 13:51:46
Glad you liked it, Crust.
Crust Posted - 09 Sep 2008 : 13:49:30
Just finished Undead the other day. I haven't read an FR book since The Orc King last November. Though I've somewhat stepped away from FR, there are authors that I always come back to. Greenwood, RAS, Cunningham... Byers is now a permanent part of that list.

Undead was awesome. At no time did I make this face or this face or this face while reading. Rock solid.

Undead contains those moments that I just gobble up in a good FR novel: Szass Tam and all of his awesome spellcasting. And THANK YOU for not boring us with magic missiles and lightning bolts. The spellcasting was innovative and interesting. Tam's summoning of Bane was fascinating. His use of undead minions was also interesting.

Xingax was still as interesting as ever. Tammith and her struggle was solid, and I liked how you worked a blood fiend into the mix.

Aoth is still great, and his play with the other characters was compelling and interesting. I also liked the idea that Bareris and others have been poisoned by events in Thay, as if they were once good-aligned but are now wholly evil. I was constantly wondering if any of the characters were truly good-aligned. My guess is Aoth was the only one of good alignment, but I could be wrong.

There's also a brutality to the novel that the narrator avoids addressing that I really found compelling. Take it for what it is: Thay.

The depiction of the zulkirs was also air tight. Nevron was particularly fascinating with his fiends, and Samas Kul was perfectly repulsive.

Lastly, and perhaps most-importantly, I was literally stunned and shocked with open-mouthed dismay when I learned that Mystra had died. That was handled wonderfully, and I was literally sitting in Starbucks, mouth agape, shaking my head, muttering, "Whoa..." Good stuff.

All in all, Undead did not contradict anything I've read before, it did not read like a rulebook, and it fit into the great puzzle of FR perfectly.

I must also say that Undead is a gamer's book, introducing monsters from the later Monster Manuals and Libris Mortis. I was so entertained identifying monsters like the drowned and dream vestige. I'm a nerd like that. It also acts as a fantastic piece of source materials for any DMs who wish to game in Thay, and that's a big draw for a DM such as myself.

I'm drooling for Unholy. Thanks for another great book, Mr. Byers.
inexorable Posted - 23 Jul 2008 : 23:42:27
quote:
Originally posted by Richard Lee Byers

inexorable: First off, glad you're enjoying the books.
With regard to your "points of contention," I generally try pretty hard not to argue with criticism from readers since this is almost always a losing game for writers. No matter what I say, I probably won't convince you that something that struck you as a flaw was really brilliantly done after all. You responded to the material like you responded to the material.
I will say, as I've said before, that the game rules are simplifications and abstractions. They turn what would be the far more complex and diversified reality of a fantasy world (you know, if it was real) into something something we can simulate with dice. Therefore, I don't think it's always necessary to adhere to the rules slavishly when writing fiction. In fact, the results can occasionally look pretty stupid if you do. For example, real human bodies don't operate on the basis of hit points, and if you write a fight scene as if your characters' bodies do, it can seem extremely peculiar.
As far as the fight on the ship is concerned, the ship is trying to stay out of combat, but in a fluid, constantly changing situation with other ships, sea monsters, and what have you maneuvering every which way. So maybe it's not always that far away from some of the more intense action. And maybe, as the flying characters zip around the sky looking for where they ought to engage the enemy next, they aren't always that far from the ship.
Beyond that, all I can tell you is that this particular dream vestige is powerful enough to cream the myrmixicus because having it be uber-powerful serves the purposes of the plot. And Bareris and the others fight on the ship because I was trying to create a certain dramatic effect (apparently it didn't work on you, but oh, well) and because this event moves Bareris in the direction I wanted him to go.

Fair enough sir. Thanks for the responses.
I'm looking forward to your third installment.

Richard Lee Byers Posted - 19 Jul 2008 : 23:25:00
inexorable: First off, glad you're enjoying the books.
With regard to your "points of contention," I generally try pretty hard not to argue with criticism from readers since this is almost always a losing game for writers. No matter what I say, I probably won't convince you that something that struck you as a flaw was really brilliantly done after all. You responded to the material like you responded to the material.
I will say, as I've said before, that the game rules are simplifications and abstractions. They turn what would be the far more complex and diversified reality of a fantasy world (you know, if it was real) into something something we can simulate with dice. Therefore, I don't think it's always necessary to adhere to the rules slavishly when writing fiction. In fact, the results can occasionally look pretty stupid if you do. For example, real human bodies don't operate on the basis of hit points, and if you write a fight scene as if your characters' bodies do, it can seem extremely peculiar.
As far as the fight on the ship is concerned, the ship is trying to stay out of combat, but in a fluid, constantly changing situation with other ships, sea monsters, and what have you maneuvering every which way. So maybe it's not always that far away from some of the more intense action. And maybe, as the flying characters zip around the sky looking for where they ought to engage the enemy next, they aren't always that far from the ship.
Beyond that, all I can tell you is that this particular dream vestige is powerful enough to cream the myrmixicus because having it be uber-powerful serves the purposes of the plot. And Bareris and the others fight on the ship because I was trying to create a certain dramatic effect (apparently it didn't work on you, but oh, well) and because this event moves Bareris in the direction I wanted him to go.
inexorable Posted - 19 Jul 2008 : 21:18:34
Hey, just wanted to say that I liked your two books a lot. I thought they were well done and I always enjoy reading about dark characters.

Malark and Szass Tam are my favorite characters in your trilogy so far.

Bareris is probably my least favorite.

Couple points of contention I had with the end of Undead, nothing that ruined the story for me and I know this kind of falls into the category of game rules but...

You did a great job describing the atmosphere and the act of Nevron summoning a great demon in the Myrmyxicus, but just to have it dissolved by the Dream Vestige was kind of disappointing and really, if you go by the rules, not likely at all.

I didn't like that Bareris, Mirror, and Winddancer arrived in the nick of time to almost save Tammith. I mean, the boat she was on was far away from any kind of real fighting and with all the creatures to fight those three just happened to be around? Seemed forced to me and they didn't stop her from being destroyed... so why have them show up at all? Was it to offer, yet again, Bareris' whining insight into losing her and motivate him to go after the Dream Vestige?

I'm looking forward to the final book. I hope Tammith stays gone and the black hand gets royally worked by Szass Tam. I despise bane. I've always thought he was a pathetic deity that failed in just about everything he did so it would be nice to see him fail again in regards to the deal he made with Tam. He should have stayed dead in my opinion.

Anyway, overall, great job on both books.

Richard Lee Byers Posted - 07 Jul 2008 : 02:38:10
Thanks, Nefarious. Glad you liked them.
Nefarious Posted - 06 Jul 2008 : 17:18:48
Richard Lee Byers, easily one of my favorite authors. This series so far has been fantastic.

My favorite characters have been Malark and Bareris (might as well throw Mirror in there too), both due to their inner turmoil (nicely developed throughout the books).
Richard Lee Byers Posted - 02 Jul 2008 : 23:08:32
Glad you enjoyed them, Alisttair.
Alisttair Posted - 02 Jul 2008 : 21:36:27
I just finished reading Undead. With Canada Day yesterday, I had three days off work, and took advantage to read Unclean and Undead. Now I only wish we were February 09 so I could pick up and read Unholy because my eyes were glued to these books. Good work as always Mr.Byers
KnightErrantJR Posted - 14 Jun 2008 : 06:02:16
quote:

Knight: The timing of the anthology has always struck me as a little odd, too, but then, what do I know? I'm merely a cog in a vast machine.
Anyway, thanks for your kind words about the book.

You keep putting out books like this, and I'll keep saying kind words about them . . . works out pretty well for me . . .
Richard Lee Byers Posted - 14 Jun 2008 : 05:53:49
Knight: The timing of the anthology has always struck me as a little odd, too, but then, what do I know? I'm merely a cog in a vast machine.
Anyway, thanks for your kind words about the book.
KnightErrantJR Posted - 13 Jun 2008 : 23:51:06
Slightly off topic, but I noticed that the anthology for this series is still listed as early 2010, which strikes me as really, really odd for a series that will have been done for a year at that point in time. I had thought earlier that this was a mistake, but if it was, they keep printing that date over and over again in various places.

Between Mirror and Malark, the secondary characters that were nice supporting characters in the first book really shot forward as major points of interest for me. I love Malark as a character, in part because I really like the Monks of the Long Death and its interesting to see a perspective character from that tradition.

I really like that Szass doesn't come across as a mustache twirling villain, or one that rages at his underlings and disintegrates them on a whim. He has a kind of detachment that is really refreshing in a villain, and its very different to see a villain that pretty much takes setbacks in stride, just pausing a moment to say, "oh well, that didn't work, time for plan B."

I really liked the personality traits that came out in all of the Zulkirs (and even if they all "go away" in the "current" Realms, its good to have the frame of reference for those of us that may not jump forward).

One of the things that I like about the protagonists in this series (mainly Aoth and Bareris) is that they aren't shining heroes, but they aren't angsty anti heroes either. They are exceptional, but not quite, I don't know, I hate to not term them heroic, but they are both too practical for that sort of designation. I like that we get a chance to see what "common people" from Thay think and feel, and not from the perspective of the nasty schemers in the nation.

I wasn't thrilled with Szass summoning Bane either, but at the same time, while the convention of Szass doing this didn't quite sit right, I did like how Bane himself was portrayed.

I will say this . . . if we got to dwell a little more on the edge of the Spellplauge, rather than just having a few books touch on them and shoot forward, I would have been a bit more interested in this particular setting aspect. RLB has done an excellent job of making this particular moment in Realms history interesting (even if the origin of the event still really, really rankles me).
Richard Lee Byers Posted - 10 Jun 2008 : 14:23:44
Talanfir: Glad to hear you're enjoying the books.
I'm going to pass on answering your question, though. Sorry. But I'm allergic to providing any sort of spoilers, even though in the Internet age, trying to keep the surprises in a novel surprising until the reader actually reads the book is often an exercise in futility. Particularly when the writer is working in a shared world, and the events of the novel are reflected in other products.
Talanfir Swiftfeet Posted - 10 Jun 2008 : 09:00:06
So far I have loved the series.
I know this might be a bit of a spoiler for the third book, but what years does "Unholy" span? Does it start straight from the end of the previous book, or does it skip another ten years?
Richard Lee Byers Posted - 23 Apr 2008 : 13:11:40
Ecap: Thanks for the kind words. Glad you enjoyed it.
Ecap Posted - 23 Apr 2008 : 07:26:08
Ooops, I think I posted this in the wrong thread earlier. So I'm C+Ping my thoughts on this book here.

Wow, I happened to find this website by chance when I was googling book reviews for this very book, "undead". I had no idea there was such a following for forgotten realms books - that's great, I'm a huge fan!
I have always enjoyed reading recreationally, and I delved into the Forgotten Realms world in my very early adolescence and still read them to this day. I took a break for a while and indulged my myself with some King horror among other things, and I eventually ran out of material. Nostalgically, I picked up some of my old Forgotten REalms novels and re-read a couple.
Over the past couple years a lot of 'new' forgotten realms books have come out. I would notice these with their distinct, abstract artwork, the new forgotten realms heading insignia, etc. I was always hesitant to pick them up, worrying that it might tarnish my fanciful, aged notions of what the forgotten realms 'should be'.
In any case, on a lark one evening after studying @ barnes and noble, I picked up 'unclean' and 'undead' on a whim. Man... I am glad I did!!
These books really offered some refreshing characters. Particularly, the nobility of Bareris and Aoth being strained under the "corrosive culture" of Thay politic was so well-done. I loved the realism of the characters. How Thay was there homeland, despite its chronic troubles, and they thought it was beautiful and would fight for it.
And the bad guys are great! I loved Xingax in the first novel and was dissapointed to see less (if there was any?) narration from his perspective in the second book. Described as resembling an 'aborted baby fetus' his perspectives on life were very entertaining. And of course Szass Tam - I recall being exposed to him in an earlyer 'thayan' novel (and through forgotten realmsian anecdotes) and it was great to see him back in action! Ive always been a fan of him. I wanted to root for him so bad, but he was so devious, haha.
If I had to FORCE myself to complain about something in this book, it would be the two-dimensional zulkir personalities. I always feel like the zulkirs are slighted - these people are masters of their field of magic. Nevron was demented and interesting (especially his interactions with the demons), but a lot of the other characters seemed so petty. I would love to see evil zulkirs with debth and rationale!
Malark is a also one of my favorite characters. His immortality story was fascinating - and its always fun to see how he reacts to situations.
My only dissapointment is that apparently the third installment isn't out yet. I went back to barnes and noble to purchase it apparently its due in 2009? I want to know what happens before then
=(
Anyways I noticed that the author actually posts here!! If you read this GREAT job man, please keep pumping out FR literature and I promise I will keep buying! In fact, I'll pay extra for a signed copy!!

Cheers,
Ecap
Ecap Posted - 23 Apr 2008 : 06:50:45
quote:

Xoriat: Glad you enjoyed the book.
Xingax is an atropal scion.
Undead isn't set during the Time of Troubles. It's set in 1485, the year of the Spellplague, when, in fact, Mystra does croak once again.

Victor_ograygor Posted - 21 Apr 2008 : 05:30:21
quote:

For those who wanted to know: Unholy (Book 3 of The Haunted Land) is a February, 2009 release.

Thanks, now I have something to look forward to
The Red Walker Posted - 20 Apr 2008 : 23:25:51
quote:

For those who wanted to know: Unholy (Book 3 of The Haunted Land) is a February, 2009 release.

Very cool! Now I know what to ask for my next birthday.(feb 9)
Ugh, its still 10 months away! Tam may be a deity by then!
The Red Walker Posted - 20 Apr 2008 : 23:25:17
quote:

Very cool! Now I know what to ask for my next birthday.(feb 9)
Ugh, its still 10 months away! Tam may be a deity by then!
Richard Lee Byers Posted - 18 Apr 2008 : 18:05:20
Richard Lee Byers Posted - 11 Apr 2008 : 05:40:12
Orn, Sleyvas, glad you're enjoying the story.
sleyvas Posted - 07 Apr 2008 : 22:10:00
Well, I'm just barely past the part where Bane's avatar shows up in the Zulkir's Council. So far I really like it a lot. I know Tam doesn't know the full extent of what happened in the heavens, but I think he's gotta be tickled when he finds out that Velsharoon and Azuth got trapped in the astral. Of course, what is the astral where they're trapped as opposed to the new astral, etc..... has got to come up and be answered, hopefully it'll happen in the new campaign set.
My first thought was that Tam shouldn't be able to summon Bane, but then I assume its just an aspect of him (a Hortha of Bane using Narfellian summoning rituals?). I also found the agreement interesting, and maybe something is revealed later in the book for how Tam plans to get out of it. My first thoughts are that Tam intends to destroy Bane by destroying his followers (thus he won't have to hold up his end of the bargain).
Orn Posted - 07 Apr 2008 : 21:28:56
I very much agree that Richard Lee Byers had an amazing talent in describing "dark" characters, plots and settings.

I've really enjoyed this series so far, and I'm very much looking forward to the conclusion (and beyond).

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000