Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Al-Qadim novels?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Theophilus
Learned Scribe

Australia
143 Posts

Posted - 17 Jan 2008 :  03:02:58  Show Profile  Visit Theophilus's Homepage Send Theophilus a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
My curiosity motivates me to ask:

Considering that the Al-Qadim setting was considered part of the Realms, were there any Al-Qadim novels published, and if not, does anyone know why?

(I have thought that they would have provided some very interesting material for at least an Anthology)

Edited by - Theophilus on 17 Jan 2008 05:40:56

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 17 Jan 2008 :  08:47:48  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't know of any novels that TSR had published. Why that is I have no further knowledge of. However, IIRC in Dragon 208 was a short story set in Al-Qadim: 'Time in a Bottle'.

"Das Gras weht im Wind, wenn der Wind weht."

Edited by - Ergdusch on 17 Jan 2008 08:50:04
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 17 Jan 2008 :  08:49:28  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No, there were never any Al-Quadim novels published. There was more than enough material to work from, but in many ways I am glad the setting was left alone by the book department. I think the openness and unresolved plot hooks in the more or less uniformly great products of the setting, is a large part of its appeal for me personally.
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 17 Jan 2008 :  11:59:22  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Speaking of which, if there were some, would they be considered REALMS novels and be part of the Realms Library? Same question goes for Kara-Tur novels...should those be considered part of the library/bookshelf??? I haven't taken the time to put them on my checklist of Realms products to get because I never saw a list of them without looking but the game products are part of Realms library (I believe that is the case here)

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

BARDOBARBAROS
Senior Scribe

Greece
581 Posts

Posted - 17 Jan 2008 :  12:44:30  Show Profile  Visit BARDOBARBAROS's Homepage Send BARDOBARBAROS a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes .. there is a novel which is called the Secret of the Djinn ... i have it!

BARDOBARBAROS DOES NOT KILL.
HE DECAPITATES!!!

"The city changes, but the fools within it remain always the same" (Edwin Odesseiron- Baldur's gate 2)
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 17 Jan 2008 :  12:59:07  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As far as I know the continents Kara-Tur, Zakhara and Maztica are all part of the Forgotten Realms. Even though Kara-Tur was only later placed on Toril it now should be considered part of it none the less. Therefore as such I would most definitely consider them all a part of the FR and order them as such in my or any library/bookshelf for that matter.

However, as Kara-Tur products (later) and Maztica products were officially labeled as Forgotten realms material (with the FR logo on most any from cover that I can racall) the Al-Qadim products were not labeled as such. Why that is i don't know but I can imagine that while Zakhara is part of Fearun the designers or marketing department considered it to be better in some way to keep the Al-Qadim setting seperate rather than to be implement yet another setting into the FR campaign world.

"Das Gras weht im Wind, wenn der Wind weht."
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000