Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Annotated Elminster
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

SirUrza
Master of Realmslore

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 01 Dec 2007 :  05:05:00  Show Profile Send SirUrza a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I got my copy on Thursday, I'm shocked. It's an amazingly beautiful book. I'd have to say this easily tops the leather bound Chronicles edition that just came out for Dragonlance.

"Evil prevails when good men fail to act."
The original and unapologetic Arilyn, Aribeth, Seoni Fanboy.

Edited by - SirUrza on 01 Dec 2007 09:55:58

Chosen of Moradin
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1120 Posts

Posted - 01 Dec 2007 :  11:09:23  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Moradin's Homepage Send Chosen of Moradin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It´s good to hear this, SirUrza. Could you be more specific about this tome?

Dwarf, DM, husband, and proud of this! :P

twitter: @yuripeixoto
Facebook: yuri.peixoto
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 01 Dec 2007 :  14:30:44  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SirUrza

I got my copy on Thursday, I'm shocked. It's an amazingly beautiful book. I'd have to say this easily tops the leather bound Chronicles edition that just came out for Dragonlance.

Nice to hear, is it leather as well?

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 02 Dec 2007 :  00:56:56  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd like to know where you got it...I haven't seen it yet.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

SirUrza
Master of Realmslore

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 02 Dec 2007 :  05:40:19  Show Profile Send SirUrza a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Got it at waldenbooks.

Not it's not leather, it's just like the amazon.com picture. The cover is completely embossed with the rune and designs you see. All the pages are ivory, giving them an old feel. At the end of each novel they added Ed's bits, instead of messing with the margins like they did for Chronicles. Ed's bits are broken into 2 chapters, one is about writing the novel, other other is about the lore in the novel. Lots of Ed original hand drawn art work too.

Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 02 Dec 2007 :  12:45:36  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Got it at waldenbooks.

Not it's not leather, it's just like the amazon.com picture. The cover is completely embossed with the rune and designs you see. All the pages are ivory, giving them an old feel. At the end of each novel they added Ed's bits, instead of messing with the margins like they did for Chronicles. Ed's bits are broken into 2 chapters, one is about writing the novel, other other is about the lore in the novel. Lots of Ed original hand drawn art work too.

Sounds like something to add to the Xmas list!

Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 02 Dec 2007 :  22:35:01  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Indeed, I'll be buying this as a Christmas gift for myself.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 02 Dec 2007 :  23:09:31  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

Indeed, I'll be buying this as a Christmas gift for myself.

I'll buy you a copy for Xmas if you buy me one

Go to Top of Page

AlorinDawn
Learned Scribe

USA
313 Posts

Posted - 08 Dec 2007 :  18:40:16  Show Profile  Visit AlorinDawn's Homepage Send AlorinDawn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
All I can say is WOW. The production value of this book is very nice. The cover, Ed's artwork he has done over the years are great additions. I am delving into this book this evening!
Go to Top of Page

BARDOBARBAROS
Senior Scribe

Greece
581 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2007 :  00:52:03  Show Profile  Visit BARDOBARBAROS's Homepage Send BARDOBARBAROS a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I bought it also....It's a great book indeed .. an excellent edition...but i think the fact that it does not have a jacket-cover it's not good!! I would like it to have a jacket-cover...

BARDOBARBAROS DOES NOT KILL.
HE DECAPITATES!!!

"The city changes, but the fools within it remain always the same" (Edwin Odesseiron- Baldur's gate 2)
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2007 :  04:22:19  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just bought the book today. But I am also a little upset that there was no book jacket...oh well.

Go to Top of Page

SirUrza
Master of Realmslore

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 16 Dec 2007 :  21:41:55  Show Profile Send SirUrza a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The book jacket takes away from the prettiness of the cover, besides, no jacket gives it that old tome feel you'd expect to find when you pull a book off El's bookstore.

Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 16 Dec 2007 :  23:52:32  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, but in my case (and apparently, in the case of some other people around here) there's a SKU sticker on the back which is stuck on so hard you can't peel it off without ripping the cover. If there was a book jacket, that wouldn't have been a problem (and besides, it's not like it couldn't be taken off if you don't want it).

Go to Top of Page

SirUrza
Master of Realmslore

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 17 Dec 2007 :  12:29:43  Show Profile Send SirUrza a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ah.. didn't have that problem.

Go to Top of Page

khorne
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1073 Posts

Posted - 22 Dec 2007 :  08:55:03  Show Profile  Visit khorne's Homepage Send khorne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Finally got this book. It's just beautiful.

If I were a ranger, I would pick NDA for my favorite enemy
Go to Top of Page

Mazrim_Taim
Learned Scribe

341 Posts

Posted - 22 Dec 2007 :  17:02:34  Show Profile  Visit Mazrim_Taim's Homepage Send Mazrim_Taim a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm getting this soon. As someone who has missed out on all of Ed's Elminster books, this comes in handy. And the notes and the original art will be nice as well!

And if the PCs DO win their ways through all the liches to Larloch, “he” will almost certainly be just another lich (loaded with explosive spells) set up as a decoy, with dozens of hidden liches waiting to pounce on any surviving PCs who ‘celebrate’ after they take Larloch down. As the REAL Larloch watches (magical scrying) from afar. Myself, as DM, I’d be wondering: “Such a glorious game, so many opportunities laid out before your PCs to devote your time to, and THIS fixation is the best you can come up with? Are you SURE you’re adventurers?” -Ed Greenwood
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 22 Dec 2007 :  17:31:21  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It awaits for Christmas.
Go to Top of Page

I Am Not A Bear
Acolyte

Canada
14 Posts

Posted - 03 Jan 2008 :  21:40:01  Show Profile  Visit I Am Not A Bear's Homepage Send I Am Not A Bear a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I bought this recently as well. My first FR novel asides from some I borrowed from friends a while back.
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 03 Jan 2008 :  22:40:27  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ok I have the books that are in this book. I loved Making of a Mage and Elminster in Myth Drannor but am not a big fan of Temptation. So....with said knowledge, and seeing the price on this book (which I saw at the store and is beautiful looking), should I be purchasing this??????

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

SirUrza
Master of Realmslore

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 03 Jan 2008 :  23:31:02  Show Profile Send SirUrza a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes. Show Wizards you want Collected Editions from authors that aren't RA Salvatore.

Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 04 Jan 2008 :  00:12:04  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alisttair

Ok I have the books that are in this book. I loved Making of a Mage and Elminster in Myth Drannor but am not a big fan of Temptation. So....with said knowledge, and seeing the price on this book (which I saw at the store and is beautiful looking), should I be purchasing this??????

We can't make that decision for you. But if you loved 2 out of 3 books I see no reason why it wouldn't be worth the money.

Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 05 Jan 2008 :  19:16:53  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've gotten through the first two books, and I'm starting the third. Ed's 'musings' are an excellent insight into the srories and the Realms in general. Well worth the price and a nice edition to my collection.

quote:

Yes. Show Wizards you want Collected Editions from authors that aren't RA Salvatore.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Mazrim_Taim
Learned Scribe

341 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2008 :  03:31:01  Show Profile  Visit Mazrim_Taim's Homepage Send Mazrim_Taim a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I actually just got it and let me say, it's a fine piece of work. It's an absolutely beautiful book and I'm excited to have all these stories I've never read plus Ed's notes to boot. Definitely worth the money if anyone hasn't gotten it yet.

And if the PCs DO win their ways through all the liches to Larloch, “he” will almost certainly be just another lich (loaded with explosive spells) set up as a decoy, with dozens of hidden liches waiting to pounce on any surviving PCs who ‘celebrate’ after they take Larloch down. As the REAL Larloch watches (magical scrying) from afar. Myself, as DM, I’d be wondering: “Such a glorious game, so many opportunities laid out before your PCs to devote your time to, and THIS fixation is the best you can come up with? Are you SURE you’re adventurers?” -Ed Greenwood
Go to Top of Page

SirUrza
Master of Realmslore

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2008 :  08:37:24  Show Profile Send SirUrza a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

quote:

Well it's true. I'd love to see Song & Sword get this treatment.

Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2008 :  16:22:20  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

quote:

Well it's true. I'd love to see Song & Sword get this treatment.

Evermeet would be fantastic as well. I can just imagine the comments and notes for it!

Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2008 :  16:46:20  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
We can't make that decision for you. But if you loved 2 out of 3 books I see no reason why it wouldn't be worth the money.

Thanks for the advice. I went and bought it last week. Who am I to deny adding a "Collector's Edition" to my "Collection".

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2008 :  16:59:00  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You're welcome.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000