Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Resource books to use when reading novels
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Strider De Haven
Acolyte

16 Posts

Posted - 10 Jan 2008 :  02:01:23  Show Profile  Visit Strider De Haven's Homepage Send Strider De Haven a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hail fellow Realmers!
This is my first post here at Candlekeep but have traversed these halls for a time. I was introduced to the Realms by reading RAS series on the much loved (and it seems despised) dark elf hero. I am now expanding my reading and have started the Annotated Elminster collection of books. I know the Realms are very large and would like your expert knowledge to point me to 1st Ed, 2nd Ed, or 3rd edition resource books that will help me "get to know" the region this collection of books (the Annotated Elminster specifically) takes place.

I love being able to look up maps of the areas that I am reading about. It helps me "visualize" where I am. I have Karen Fonstad's excellent Forgotten Realms Atlas that helped me through Drizzt's adventures and will use this when I read the Avatar and Moonshae series.

If I could get a list of your recommendations on which resource book would accompany which book or book series I would be very grateful. Thank you all for your time and attention.

Edited by - Strider De Haven on 10 Jan 2008 02:07:07

Daniel of the North
Acolyte

Norway
30 Posts

Posted - 10 Jan 2008 :  09:33:15  Show Profile  Visit Daniel of the North's Homepage Send Daniel of the North a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The fall of myth drannor sourcebook whould be a good place to start.

Welcome to Candlekeep!

THE ART OF ESCAPING REALITY
Go to Top of Page

Matthus
Senior Scribe

Germany
393 Posts

Posted - 10 Jan 2008 :  13:22:08  Show Profile Send Matthus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
One of the most often misunderstanding is, that Drizzt isn’t loved here in the halls. I have – and I’m thinking most fellow scribes also have - no problem with the Dark elf himself – it’s the way the figure is used to advertise new products and the “Realms feeling”. The world is so much more than only one lonely dark elf, but is the easy way making use of him – or so it seems to me.

But your question:

I would recommend reading Faiths and Avatars with the Avartar series – it gives some understanding of the Deities.

Than there is Volo’s guide to the Dalelands which you can get for free here

There is a 2E supplement for Moonshae – if you can get your hands on it ...

Happy reading

Edited by - Matthus on 10 Jan 2008 13:23:02
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 10 Jan 2008 :  14:51:23  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd recommend starting with the 3E Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting. That will give you a broad overview of pretty much everything. For specific areas, most have been covered in a regional sourcebook. Some areas, like Waterdeep, have been covered in all three editions (my favorite coverage of the city was 2E's City of Splendors boxed set, and Volo's Guide to Waterdeep), while other areas have only been covered in one edition (like the Dalelands area, or the Sea of Fallen Stars).

There's a good amount of free downloads available on the page Matthus linked to.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 10 Jan 2008 :  18:16:16  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Matthus

One of the most often misunderstanding is, that Drizzt isn’t loved here in the halls. I have – and I’m thinking most fellow scribes also have - no problem with the Dark elf himself – it’s the way the figure is used to advertise new products and the “Realms feeling”. The world is so much more than only one lonely dark elf...

Indeed, many Realms fans have nothing against the character, they just get annoyed when some Drizzt fans act like Drizzt is the be-all end-all of the Forgotten Realms setting.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Strider De Haven
Acolyte

16 Posts

Posted - 10 Jan 2008 :  18:56:20  Show Profile  Visit Strider De Haven's Homepage Send Strider De Haven a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you all for your responses... it is much appreciated. I suppose I should be a bit more specific in my question with Matthus coming closest to what I'm seeking.

I am looking to "match-up" FR sourcebooks, boxsets, etc. with specific novels or series of novels. Matthus suggests Faiths and Avatars with the Avatar novel series and the sourcebook Moonshae to go along with the Moonshae book trilogy.

The reason for this is as I read the book Elminster, it is sometimes difficult to get a grasp of where the story is taking place. That is why I love Fonstad's Atlas when I read all the Drizzt books. I just have really little knowledge of where this story is taking place.

When I start on all the other series, such as the Sembia series, which resource books, box sets, etc. will give me a solid foundation to look upon as I read them?

As a side note: I will not have difficulty matching up novels to RPG product books as I am a bit of a collector and already own all the Forgotten Realms novels and RPG sourcebooks, box sets, campaign guides, etc. be they 1st, 2nd, or 3 (3.5) edition. I guess I always knew I would venture forth more into Faerun. The Forgotten Realms are not totally new to me but only recently have I begun to appreciate the fullness of this "world" that I want to delve into more fully. I truly enjoy fully realized worlds such as Middle-Earth, Dune, Star Wars, etc. and now want to embark through the Realms.

Edited by - Strider De Haven on 10 Jan 2008 19:01:22
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 11 Jan 2008 :  01:41:04  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The first and third Elminster books are set in political landscapes long submerged in the modern Realms and part of their literary effect comes from not knowing exact geography: these are among the man's kaleidoscopic memories of vanished lands remembered now by few. But Ed mentions in the annotated volume the article he wrote for Dragon #228 giving more background on Athalantar, around where Secomber is now. Myth Drannor was first featured in his second long-running home campaign, and detailed in print in Ruins of Myth Drannor, Cormanthyr (a free download), and Lost Empires of Faerűn. Further lore on the Dragon Coast setting of Temptation is scarce.

Information on Sembia is scattered (it was originally not going to be detailed in print), but its major towns and cities have two-page write-ups in Forgotten Realms Adventures.

Safe journeying in Faerűn.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 11 Jan 2008 :  02:11:41  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You'll also find a little lore on the Dragon Coast in both Sea of Fallen Stars and Pirates of the Fallen Stars. Forgotten Realms Adventures is also somewhat useful.

Sembia isn't a heavily detailed region in the older Realmslore... mostly because TSR left it as a area for DM's to detail. Aside from Forgotten Realms Adventures, see the FR boxed sets for 1e and 2e. And the 3e FRCS. As well... "Land of Merchants" [POLYHEDRON #94] and Cult of the Dragon pgs. 33–34. The "Rand's Travelogue:- Caravans and Trading Companies in Sembia" article. And "Realmslore:- The Flourishing Career of Melvos Hammerstars". See Ed's replies here at Candlekeep also.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

SirUrza
Master of Realmslore

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 11 Jan 2008 :  03:56:32  Show Profile Send SirUrza a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Seven Sisters isn't a bad book to have either when dealing with most of Ed's work.

"Evil prevails when good men fail to act."
The original and unapologetic Arilyn, Aribeth, Seoni Fanboy.
Go to Top of Page

Strider De Haven
Acolyte

16 Posts

Posted - 11 Jan 2008 :  04:53:29  Show Profile  Visit Strider De Haven's Homepage Send Strider De Haven a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you all for your assistance as I now have a place to start. If any other wise loremaster has more suggestions please don't hesitate to share your knowledge.
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 11 Jan 2008 :  15:30:56  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Faraer

The first and third Elminster books are set in political landscapes long submerged in the modern Realms and part of their literary effect comes from not knowing exact geography: these are among the man's kaleidoscopic memories of vanished lands remembered now by few.

I agree with that. And needless to say, you don't need a map to enjoy those novels.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary Jones
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
148 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2008 :  05:55:42  Show Profile  Visit Rosemary Jones's Homepage Send Rosemary Jones a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

I agree with that. And needless to say, you don't need a map to enjoy those novels.

As a reader, I like to look at the resource books like the bonus features on the DVD. You can go into them if you want to know more. Most of the novels that I've read make sense internally.

But as a writer, I LOVE the maps. And all the details in the Campaign books. I don't use even a third of what I read, but it really helps kick start the thinking.

Rosemary Jones
www.rosemaryjones.com
Go to Top of Page

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2008 :  21:01:39  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Forgotten Realms Atlas (the paper one) is a great resource for a few of the first FR novels. It also covers the Moonshae trilogy, and some the Drizzt novels, time of troubles (avatar trilogy), and a couple more I believe.

It has maps and timeline of events.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000