Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Plea to all scribes...Review books online!!
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2007 :  17:05:17  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I would like to make a general plea to all the eloquent scribes here at the 'Keep. Please review your favorite Realms books online. It does help!! It would be wonderfull to see some of the same impassioned reviews of these great books where more eyes can see them.
I went to amazon.com to check on availability of new books and on a whim decided to read the reviews of Swords of Dragonfire......it was a travesty!!! 2 reviews....only 2. And they did not seem very fair...a 2 star and a 3 star rating....that was it....

Rating of Ed's latest Gem was reduced to 2.5 stars by the power of 2 reviewers. I submitted my own humble effort, but admit readily that I am not near the wordsmith as many of me fellow scribes. Great reviews(honest ones most importantly) can and do help shape our Realms!!

Thanks for reading my rant and please do consider it!!

edit: My review was rejected, amazon one allows you to review one part of a series

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963

Edited by - The Red Walker on 15 Sep 2007 21:45:43

SirUrza
Master of Realmslore

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2007 :  18:33:24  Show Profile Send SirUrza a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well it's gone up quite a bit now. :)

"Evil prevails when good men fail to act."
The original and unapologetic Arilyn, Aribeth, Seoni Fanboy.
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2007 :  21:46:03  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SirUrza

Well it's gone up quite a bit now. :)

Nice work my friend!

Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 16 Sep 2007 :  05:50:35  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Kudos to you, Red, for sending out the call!

RW isn't kidding about this, ladies and gents--reviews really do make a great deal of difference.

And not just to the readers of Amazon (who can get a sense of books to buy) but to the publishers (because the more books that get sold and the more people talk about an author, the more they want to publish that author) and to the authors themselves (some of us who very much appreciate feedback and external opinion).

Write about the books you like, and say what could make them better. Don't let the only reviews that get up be two-sentence dismissals paired with a 1-star vote (like RW's example of Ed's great novel).

The greatest promotion for a book is word of mouth, and seeing personal opinions that aren't just those of critics, who often ignore really wonderful books that aren't heavily marketed, makes a whole lot of difference.

I'm not just speaking for myself, here--you want to see more Realms books by your favorite authors, go out and post reviews of them. Review Ed, Bob, Elaine, Paul, Rich . . . anyone and everyone.

We really appreciate it.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

Kairin
Acolyte

40 Posts

Posted - 18 Sep 2007 :  17:03:52  Show Profile  Visit Kairin's Homepage Send Kairin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I agree, I would like to see more reviews too. Honest reviews, not just fanboy reviews, so I get a better idea of what to buy. Just because some books aren't heavily marketed don't mean that they aren't good.
Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 18 Sep 2007 :  21:57:46  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My keyboard drowned over the weekend (literally), so my typing is severely curtailed by time limits on library computers, but I'll try. Gods know I have sufficient books to review!

I have a mouth, but I am in a library and must not scream.

Feed the poor and stroke your ego, too: http://www.freerice.com/index.php.

Go to Top of Page

EdGentry
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
175 Posts

Posted - 06 Dec 2007 :  18:57:11  Show Profile  Visit EdGentry's Homepage Send EdGentry a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not to beat a dead horse but everyone here is very correct! Reviews can really help an author and a book.

To that end, I will now (with only a touch of shame) beg anyone and everyone who reads and enjoys my first novel Neversfall to review it on Amazon. Give an honest review, of course!

Thanks to anyone who can help a guy out on this.

-Ed

P.S. - If you read it, be sure to check out the book club running on it right now here at Candlekeep.

http://www.edgentry.com
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 06 Dec 2007 :  19:44:13  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't get around to reading FR novels as much as I used to but I do have a book review journal here:

http://blog.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.ListAll&friendID=98747893

However, as people can see, I haven't read a FR novel since August and so I don't really write Amazon reviews. Maybe someday I'll catch up with the half dozen FR novels I have in my stacks.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 13 Dec 2007 :  00:06:40  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

I don't get around to reading FR novels as much as I used to but I do have a book review journal here:

http://blog.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.ListAll&friendID=98747893

However, as people can see, I haven't read a FR novel since August and so I don't really write Amazon reviews. Maybe someday I'll catch up with the half dozen FR novels I have in my stacks.

Sounds like you need to ask Manshoon how to clone yourseld, repeatedly!

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 13 Dec 2007 :  02:49:40  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Red Walker

Sounds like you need to ask Manshoon how to clone yourseld, repeatedly!

That could be a part of it but it's more other factors that I'd rather not get into. :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Zanan
Senior Scribe

Germany
942 Posts

Posted - 14 Dec 2007 :  15:25:45  Show Profile  Visit Zanan's Homepage Send Zanan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, we do that for ages now over at the German D&D Gate. Maybe you need to motivate people much like the Gate-Kobolds do, i.e. give them free copies of the novels (P&P to be paid by the reviewer).

Cave quid dicis, quando et cui!

Gæð a wyrd swa hio scel!

In memory of Alura Durshavin.

Visit my "Homepage" to find A Guide to the Drow NPCs of Faerûn, Drow and non-Drow PrC and much more.
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 14 Dec 2007 :  15:36:20  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have to admit, I'm not just inclined to review books online and post them on, say, amazon.com.

Sorry. I know it would help, but it's just not something I do. I do try to spread the word about books I enjoy though.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 14 Dec 2007 :  20:32:33  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

I have to admit, I'm not just inclined to review books online and post them on, say, amazon.com.

Sorry. I know it would help, but it's just not something I do. I do try to spread the word about books I enjoy though.

It seems a shame to keep all of your elegant thoughts and well written thoughts all to ourselves!!

Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 14 Dec 2007 :  23:47:40  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

It seems a shame to keep all of your elegant thoughts and well written thoughts all to ourselves!!

That's nice of you to say.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Zanan
Senior Scribe

Germany
942 Posts

Posted - 15 Dec 2007 :  17:45:29  Show Profile  Visit Zanan's Homepage Send Zanan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Maybe we should take Rino by the hand and take her and her alter ego to the next Loviatar temple for some expert treatment aimed at changing their minds?

Cave quid dicis, quando et cui!

Gæð a wyrd swa hio scel!

In memory of Alura Durshavin.

Visit my "Homepage" to find A Guide to the Drow NPCs of Faerûn, Drow and non-Drow PrC and much more.
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 16 Dec 2007 :  04:19:58  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

That's nice of you to say.

Every word is true Milady! I am glad that my meaning shone through despite me being tired enough as I typed it to use Thoughts twice in that comment! (What My mind told my fingers to type was ....your elegant words and well written thoughts...) Well, it's the thought that counts!

Edited by - The Red Walker on 16 Dec 2007 04:21:09
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary Jones
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
148 Posts

Posted - 02 Jan 2008 :  02:19:10  Show Profile  Visit Rosemary Jones's Homepage Send Rosemary Jones a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks to everyone who spreads the word about the FR books. I know all the authors appreciate it.

I've been trying to send information about my book, Crypt of the Moaning Diamond, and the Dungeons series to bookstores that I know. I have a postcard that I've been mailing out. If you've got a suggestion for me, just e-mail me.

Also, with a crazy work schedule, I'm not able to go out and do signings or other "traditional" author promos. But I'm happy to send out a signed bookplate to any reader or bookstore that wants one. Again, just e-mail me.

Rosemary Jones
www.rosemaryjones.com
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 02 Jan 2008 :  03:02:56  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rosemary Jones

Thanks to everyone who spreads the word about the FR books. I know all the authors appreciate it.

I've been trying to send information about my book, Crypt of the Moaning Diamond, and the Dungeons series to bookstores that I know. I have a postcard that I've been mailing out. If you've got a suggestion for me, just e-mail me.

Also, with a crazy work schedule, I'm not able to go out and do signings or other "traditional" author promos. But I'm happy to send out a signed bookplate to any reader or bookstore that wants one. Again, just e-mail me.

Rosemary, if you can pick up a copy of Writer's Digest Yearbook 2008, check out the article on press kits, starting on page 66. Good basic info on how to put together info for bookstores.
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary Jones
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
148 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2008 :  19:37:49  Show Profile  Visit Rosemary Jones's Homepage Send Rosemary Jones a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ElaineCunningham

[
Rosemary, if you can pick up a copy of Writer's Digest Yearbook 2008, check out the article on press kits, starting on page 66. Good basic info on how to put together info for bookstores.

That's a great suggestion. Thanks.

Neat thing about the Web is how fast people can get back to you. CRYPT OF THE MOANING DIAMOND stills seems like a "baby" to me as it just start shipping at the end of the November. But I'm already getting notes from people who finished the book ... or found it in their local bookstore and turned it face out on the shelf or talked it up to the bookstore owner (bless family and friends for guerilla marketing!).

Rosemary Jones
www.rosemaryjones.com
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2008 :  20:27:53  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

[

Neat thing about the Web is how fast people can get back to you. CRYPT OF THE MOANING DIAMOND stills seems like a "baby" to me as it just start shipping at the end of the November. But I'm already getting notes from people who finished the book ... or found it in their local bookstore and turned it face out on the shelf or talked it up to the bookstore owner (bless family and friends for guerilla marketing!).

I hate to admit it but the last several times at my bookstore I have taken your book along with Stardeep, Neversfall and Erik's books and turned them face out one shelf up covering the spines of most ofthe eberron books
I know its a little naughty, but they have taken a small shelf from FR books to fit in a few eberron books and cut back on the number of FR books. When I asked a manager how the eb books sold, he told me not well so that made me feel a bit better.

Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2008 :  20:52:47  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I hate to admit it but the last several times at my bookstore I have taken your book along with Stardeep, Neversfall and Erik's books and turned them face out one shelf up covering the spines of most ofthe eberron books
I know its a little naughty, but they have taken a small shelf from FR books to fit in a few eberron books and cut back on the number of FR books. When I asked a manager how the eb books sold, he told me not well so that made me feel a bit better.

Oh I wouldn't worry yourself about it, Red Walker. All is forgiven

Keep up the good work

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Renzokuken
Acolyte

USA
38 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2008 :  20:55:50  Show Profile  Visit Renzokuken's Homepage Send Renzokuken a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

[

Haha, "guerilla marketing" is a great term and I am sure it is something most of us here are guilty of. One thing that would drive me insane as a budding, new author is not knowing just how well my novel was selling in relation to other WotC books. I am pretty sure they do not divulge you guys of any sales figures, correct?

Also, Red Walker, not to be too blunt but placing a FR book over an Eberron book is quite counter-productive since they both come from the same publisher. It saddens me that the bookstore manager told you that the Eberron novels were not selling too well considering they are some of the best novels WotC are putting out these days. The young authors under the Eberron line are just as talented as those under the FR line. Perhaps the manager meant neither lines were selling too well?

But to get back on topic, it is indeed unseful to read online reviews of WotC novels, especially amazon. I really do need to review more considering the amount I read each year.

Currently reading: Dark Elf Trilogy (FR)
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary Jones
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
148 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2008 :  07:27:46  Show Profile  Visit Rosemary Jones's Homepage Send Rosemary Jones a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Bless anyone and everyone who tells a bookstore employee "this is a great book" or a "great author" or a "great series." Having spent some time on that side of the trade, I can tell you that it does help spread the word. As do posting reviews or discussing books in places like this forum.

I should add that even as I'm turning Jaleigh's Dungeon title face out or Eric's, I don't cover someone else's book. Because there is a reader out there who wants to find that title too and a writer's mother who wants to see that cover as well.

But to get back to posting reviews, I love seeing the readers' reactions. It's so nice to know somebody cared enough to leave a little feedback.

Rosemary Jones
www.rosemaryjones.com

Edited by - Rosemary Jones on 24 Jan 2008 07:30:07
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2008 :  20:38:55  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Bless anyone and everyone who tells a bookstore employee "this is a great book" or a "great author" or a "great series." Having spent some time on that side of the trade, I can tell you that it does help spread the word. As do posting reviews or discussing books in places like this forum.

I should add that even as I'm turning Jaleigh's Dungeon title face out or Eric's, I don't cover someone else's book. Because there is a reader out there who wants to find that title too and a writer's mother who wants to see that cover as well.

But to get back to posting reviews, I love seeing the readers' reactions. It's so nice to know somebody cared enough to leave a little feedback.

I don't want to make it seem as if I hid all other books, I only covered a few of the spines, never blocking all of a particular book

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000