Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Skills and Feats of the Realms
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 14

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 12 May 2004 :  16:47:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just making sure I got permission and all. Sage, go ahead-I'm always interested in yours and Bookwyrm's comments and ideas.
Go to Top of Page

Artalis
Senior Scribe

USA
444 Posts

Posted - 12 May 2004 :  18:07:56  Show Profile Send Artalis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Arivia

Sage, can I grab this? If I can, you're likely going to see a *class*, not a PrC, based around incantations instead of normal spellcasting. It's been an idea I've been tinkering with for awhile, and this just *might* make it work. Artalis and Bookwyrm, mind if I steal your contributions to finish off the Grovewarden of Eldath?

I would be thrilled to see you use something I had a hand in creating. Just let me know how it works out.

Artalis

Email

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2004 :  06:55:01  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Arivia

Sage, go ahead-I'm always interested in yours and Bookwyrm's comments and ideas.

I will certainly do that, just give me some time to make the entries generalised enough. I've made them campaign-specific you see, and that will make them difficult to use in the Realms unless they are altered.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2004 :  13:03:50  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here's those other features Arivia -

Mystic Insight: By virtue of years of intense meditative training, the [Insert Class Name] is taught how to handle magic items with a relatively wide margin of safety. Furthermore, having to deal with magic books, he can eventually get to the simplest basics of arcane memorization.
  • At 1st level, the [Insert Class Name] gains a strong confidence with magic items, which allows him to take 10 when performing Use Magic Device checks
  • At 4th level, the [Insert Class Name] develops a supernatural danger sense which warns him if something is going wrong with his attempts to activate a magic item; when the [Insert Class Name] suffers a mishap activating a magic device blindly, he's entitled to a Will Save (DC = 15 + spell's caster level). A successful roll denies the mishap's effects. (That also applies to mishaps due to casting a spell from a scroll whose spell's caster level is higher than the [Insert Class Name] level)
  • At 7th level the [Insert Class Name] is so confident handling magic items that he adds his caster level to Use Magic Device checks
  • At 10th level the [Insert Class Name] gains confidence even with complex magic texts. He can memorize from spellbooks or scrolls 1 spell/day as wizards do. (Never beyond 4th level spells)

Edited by - The Sage on 14 May 2004 13:13:31
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2004 :  13:09:14  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Naos: When he finds himself on holy ground, the [Insert Class Name] can summon his god's power in order to protest himself and keep the forbidden books and objects in his custody far from secular hands.
  • At 3rd level the [Insert Class Name] can ward items casting Fire Trap. (It can be done a number of times equal to the [Insert Class Name] Wis mod. + Int mod./day)
  • At 6th level the [Insert Class Name] can ward areas or objects casting Glyph of Warding. (It can be done a number of times equal to the [Insert Class Name] Wis mod./day)
  • At 9th level the [Insert Class Name] can scribe a Symbol in the air or on some surface. (It can be done 1/day)

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2004 :  13:12:15  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't know whether this will help you at all Arivia, but here's the idea I have regarding the [Insert Class Name] Spell list -

[Insert Class Name] Spell list.
(Spells progression as for the Assassin).

[Insert Class Name] choose their spells from the following list:
1st level - Alarm, Comprehend Languages, Detect Secret Doors, Hold Portal, True Strike
2nd level - Arcane Lock, Detect Thoughts, Locate Object, Obscure Object
3rd level - Claraudience/Clairvoyance, Dispel Magic, Explosive Runes, Nondetection
4th level - Divination, Freedom of Movement, Improved Invisibility, Stoneskin

Edited by - The Sage on 14 May 2004 13:14:56
Go to Top of Page

Sachiel
Acolyte

Australia
17 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2004 :  03:22:24  Show Profile  Visit Sachiel's Homepage Send Sachiel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have several 'ancestor feats' that I have been working on, based on material presented in Oriental Adventures. Would anyone here be interested in seeing them? They may prove useful for those players wishing to use characters from the east, like Shou Lung, or the Kingdom of Wa.

"Maybe all those people who think me a fool are onto something."
-- Danilo Thann, "Elfshadow"
Go to Top of Page

Lady Kazandra
Senior Scribe

Australia
921 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2004 :  07:15:26  Show Profile  Visit Lady Kazandra's Homepage Send Lady Kazandra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sachiel, were you aware of the recent 'Campaign Classics' issue of Dragon? It contained several ancestor feats for a 3e Kara-Tur environment.

"Once upon a time the plural of 'wizard' was 'war'." -- The Last Continent, by Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 13 Jun 2004 :  07:48:31  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Grand List of Skill Synergies

I thought this might be useful to people. If I've left anything out, made other mistakes, or if you have some ideas, let me know and I'll make the changes.

Entries in red are not official.

Five ranks in...
- Gives +2 to...

Appraise
- Barter

Autohypnosis
- Knowledge (psionics)

Bluff
- Barter
- Disguise when acting in character
- Diplomacy
- Intimidate
- Perform (acting)
- Slight of Hand

Barter
- Profession (merchant)

Craft (any one)
- Appraise when dealing with a result of that craft

Concentration
- Autohypnosis

Decipher Script
- Use Magic Device with scrolls

Escape Artist
- Use Rope when tying someone up

Handle Animal
- Ride

Jump
- Tumble

Knowledge (arcana)
- Spellcraft

Knowledge (architecture and engineering)
- Search to find hidden compartments, secret doors, traps

Knowledge (art)
- Appraise checks dealing with art objects.

Knowledge (dungeoneering)
- Survival while in an underground "wild" environment

Knowledge (geography)
- Survival to avoid natural hazards, keep from getting lost

Knowledge (local)
- Gather Information in that local area

Knowledge (nature)
- Survival in aboveground natural environments

Knowledge (nobility and royalty)
- Diplomacy

Knowledge (planes)
- Survival on other planes

Knowledge (psionics)
- Psicraft

Perform (acrobatics)
- Tumbling checks when performing in public

Perform (acting)
- Disguise when acting in character

Perform (dancing)
- Balance

Perform (oration)
- Diplomacy

Profession (herbalist)
- Heal when giving long-term care or treating disease or poison

Psicraft
- Use Psionic Device when using power stones

Search
- Survival when tracking

Sense Motive
- Diplomacy

Spellcraft
- Use Magic Device when deciphering scrolls

Survival
- Knowledge (nature)

Tumble
- Balance
- Jump
- Perform (juggling)

Use Magic Device
- Spellcraft when using scrolls

Use Psionic Device
- Psicraft when addressing power stones

Use Rope
- Balance checks with rope
- Climb checks with rope
- Escape Artist checks with rope

Get +2 to...
- By having five ranks in...

Appraise
- Craft (any one) when appraising a result of that craft
- Knowledge (art) when appraising art objects

Autohypnosis
- Concentration

Balance
- Perform (dancing)
- Tumble
- Use Rope when balancing on rope

Barter
- Appraise
- Bluff

Climb
- Use Rope when climbing rope

Diplomacy
- Bluff
- Knowledge (nobility and royalty)
- Perform (oration)
- Sense Motive

Disguise
- Bluff when acting in character
- Perform (acting) when acting in character

Escape Artist
- Use Rope when escaping from rope

Gather Information
- Knowledge (local) in local area

Heal
- Profession (herbalist) when in long-term care or treating disease or poisons

Intimidate
- Bluff

Jump
- Tumble

Knowledge (nature)
- Survival

Knowledge (psionics)
- Autohypnosis

Perform (acting)
- Bluff

Perform (juggling)
- Tumble

Profession (merchant)
- Barter

Profession (tutor)
- any skill being taught

Psicraft
- Knowledge (psionics)
- Use Psionic Device when adressing power stones

Ride
- Handle Animal

Search
- Knowledge (architecture and engineering) to find hidden compartments, secret doors, traps

Slight of Hand
- Bluff

Spellcraft
- Knowledge (arcana)
- Use Magic Device if deciphering scrolls

Survival
- Knowledge (dungeoneering) in an underground "wild" environment
- Knowledge (geography) to avoid natural hazards, keep from getting lost
- Knowledge (nature) in an aboveground natural environment
- Knowledge (planes) on other planes
- Search to track

Tumble
- Perform (acrobatics) when performing in public

Use Magic Device
- Decipher Script with scrolls
- Spellcraft with scrolls

Use Psionic Device
- Psicraft when using power stones

Use Rope
- Escape Artist to tie someone up

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.

Edited by - Bookwyrm on 25 Aug 2004 01:06:44
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2004 :  09:55:52  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Fast Learner [General]

You learn skills faster than most people.

Benefit: Your character gains +1 skill point per level, starting at the level this feat is taken. Skill points are not gained retroactively. If this feat is taken at first level, the bonus skill point is not multiplied by four; it is added after the normal calculation.

Special: This feat may be taken mulitiple times. Its effect stacks.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1796 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2004 :  10:17:38  Show Profile Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bookwyrm

Fast Learner [General]

You learn skills faster than most people.

Benefit: Your character gains +1 skill point per level, starting at the level this feat is taken. Skill points are not gained retroactively. If this feat is taken at first level, the bonus skill point is not multiplied by four; it is added after the normal calculation.

Special: This feat may be taken mulitiple times. Its effect stacks.

This is too powerful!!

I'd remove the stacking clause and add a prerequisite such as Alertness or Investigator (you have to be either very alert to your environment or very curious in order to be a fast learner...)
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2004 :  10:25:22  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Barter (Wis)

This skill is to be used when purchasing items in a setting where there are no fixed prices. To do so, make an opposed Barter check. If one participant wins the check by five points or more, alter the base price of the item or items in question by 5%. If the parties get results within five points of the other's, the price is not modified.

The use of this skill does not stack with the benefits of the Merchantile Background regional feat.

(Note: DMs are free to adjust the way the price is affected. For instance, 5% for a five point difference, 10% for fifteen, etc.)

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2004 :  10:57:41  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Purple Dragon Knight

This is too powerful!!

I'd remove the stacking clause and add a prerequisite such as Alertness or Investigator (you have to be either very alert to your environment or very curious in order to be a fast learner...)

Okay, I'll think about that. I may just remove the stacking clause, though.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2004 :  12:45:12  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think that's the best option.

I rather like the feat actually, it's not that overpowered, especially if the DM is attentive.

It's actually not that much different from the 'Accelerated Learning' feat from the Midnight setting. As I recall, that feat had alternate prerequisites such as the aforementioned 'Alertness'. It also only allowed a +1 skill point at every other level after it was first taken as a feat.

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2004 :  15:26:59  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've added the following entries to the Grand List of Skill Synergies.

Five ranks in . . .
- Gives +2 to . . .

Appraise
- Barter

Bluff
- Barter
- Perform (acting)

Barter
- Profession (merchant)

Knowledge (art)
- Appraise checks dealing with art objects.

Perform (acrobatics)
- Tumbling checks when performing in public

Tumble
- Perform (juggling)

Get +2 on . . .
- By having five ranks in . . .

Appraise when dealing with art objects
- Knowledge (art)

Barter
- Appraise
- Bluff

Perform (acting)
- Bluff

Perform (juggling)
- Tumble

Profession (merchant)
- Barter

Tumble when performing in public
- Perform (acrobatics)

Go to Top of Page

Wood Elf Ranger
Senior Scribe

USA
627 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2004 :  16:09:53  Show Profile  Visit Wood Elf Ranger's Homepage Send Wood Elf Ranger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Aren't there skill synergies for

Hide and Move Silently?

What about Search - Spot?

Maybe Search - Listen?

Or Listen - Perform (sing or play any musical instrument)?

I think this is an excellent idea though very nice to have all these synergies in one spot

~Lee N.

"Breaktime yes?!.. Yes?.. Maybe?.. Noo, baaack to work.." -Grovel the Goblin from NWN: HotU
Go to Top of Page

Wood Elf Ranger
Senior Scribe

USA
627 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2004 :  16:21:01  Show Profile  Visit Wood Elf Ranger's Homepage Send Wood Elf Ranger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just thought of a few more

Concentration - Perform (any)

Decipher Script - Forgery

Jump - Climb

Listen - Move Silently

Disable Device - Open Lock

Gather Information - Sense Motive

~Lee N.

"Breaktime yes?!.. Yes?.. Maybe?.. Noo, baaack to work.." -Grovel the Goblin from NWN: HotU
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2004 :  18:16:55  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, remember, there are two kinds of skill interactions. First, there's the kind represented by the skill feats such as Alertness and Stealthy. These are skills that work well together. Then there are the synergies, where the knowledge of one skill directly affects another.

Let me put it this way. Hide and Move Silently work well together when you don't want to be detected. However, Hide is the art of not being seen, and Move Silently the art of not being heard. One doesn't really enhance the other in the execution, just the final result. That's why the relationship between the two skills are given by a feat, not a synergy.

I'll think about some of the ones you listed, though. Thanks for offering.

Go to Top of Page

Wood Elf Ranger
Senior Scribe

USA
627 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2004 :  20:01:37  Show Profile  Visit Wood Elf Ranger's Homepage Send Wood Elf Ranger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I wasn't too sure about the Hide and Move Silently one myself but I thought I had seen it somewhere else. Anyways I do agree with you about that. Its hard sometimes to distinguish between skills that work well together and skills that really build upon each other that would give synergy bonuses.

~Lee N.

Edited by - Wood Elf Ranger on 19 Aug 2004 20:07:36
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2004 :  08:08:24  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Since this thread is about skills and feats...

I am making an NPC, an archer-type from the Dales. I'm using the E-tools program. It, like my PHB and DMG, are 3.0 (So this could be something clarified in 3.5).

Anyway, the bowmaking Craft skill... Does that mean just bows, or is making arrows included in that?

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Sanavin
Acolyte

Finland
26 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2004 :  10:40:41  Show Profile  Visit Sanavin's Homepage Send Sanavin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think that hasn't been specified in the books... except for this passing notion under Craft skill's description: "..., such as a Craft (Bowmaking) check to make straight arrow shafts." (3.0 PHB pg. 66) So, while there is no DC given for making any kind of projectiles, one might infer from that line that making arrows does fall under Craft (Bowmaking).

(3.5 PHB doesn't offer any more insight into the matter.)

"Never test the depth of the water with both feet."
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2004 :  14:22:34  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert
Anyway, the bowmaking Craft skill... Does that mean just bows, or is making arrows included in that?

I've always taken it to mean both the crafting of bows and arrows.

I do have a 'fletching' skill that I like to bring into my campaigns from time to time, but only when I'm feeling finicky...

Go to Top of Page

Lysander
Learned Scribe

USA
183 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2004 :  15:32:05  Show Profile  Visit Lysander's Homepage Send Lysander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

I've always taken it to mean both the crafting of bows and arrows.

I do have a 'fletching' skill that I like to bring into my campaigns from time to time, but only when I'm feeling finicky...

If I remember the conversion process, the "Bowyer and Fletcher" skill becomes the Craft (Bowmaking) skill in 3.xE - so I would say if the Original had it, then the 3.xE should have it, as well.

Lysander
Defender of the Second Edition (trying that title on for size ;) )
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2004 :  15:39:41  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you, fellow sages and scribes.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2004 :  07:57:21  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

It, like my PHB and DMG, are 3.0 (So this could be something clarified in 3.5).

You know, there is a perfectly good SRD available. I've never bought the 3.5e versions of the core books, myself. I might one day, but at this rate, by the time I can afford to stock up, they'll have come out with 5.9e.

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2004 :  08:53:55  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Catlike

You move with the skill and grace of a cat.

Benefit: Your character gains a +2 bonus on all Balance and Move Silently checks.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2004 :  11:18:06  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A feat fit for any cat-lover who has at one time or another, tried to emulate the amazing agility of a pet feline.

Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1796 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2004 :  11:50:58  Show Profile Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

A feat fit for any cat-lover who has at one time or another, tried to emulate the amazing agility of a pet feline.

Zing!

"...and Bookwyrm is baffled by one of Sage's signature Zings! Bookwyrm falls out of the ring! the referree starts his 20-second count as Sage moves over to climb the upper-right post..."
Go to Top of Page

Lysander
Learned Scribe

USA
183 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2004 :  12:56:13  Show Profile  Visit Lysander's Homepage Send Lysander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bookwyrm

quote:

It, like my PHB and DMG, are 3.0 (So this could be something clarified in 3.5).

You know, there is a perfectly good SRD available. I've never bought the 3.5e versions of the core books, myself. I might one day, but at this rate, by the time I can afford to stock up, they'll have come out with 5.9e.

Is this the demi-tome entitled "PLAY MORE FREE D&DŽ V.3.5 ACCESSORY UPDATE", or is there another volume? When I see entries such as:
quote:
Rangers have a d8 for their Hit Die, more skill points, and the
Animal Empathy became a class feature. Their animal companions,
favored enemies, and other class features underwent substantial
revision.

I start wondering where the details are

Lysander

Defender of the Second Edition
Moderator, Project Gemengan, Worlds of D&D
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2004 :  23:36:20  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Purple Dragon Knight

"...and Bookwyrm is baffled by one of Sage's signature Zings! Bookwyrm falls out of the ring! the referree starts his 20-second count as Sage moves over to climb the upper-right post..."

Huh?

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 14 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000