Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Skills and Feats of the Realms
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 14

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2004 :  23:46:07  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lysander

Is this the demi-tome entitled "PLAY MORE FREE D&DŽ V.3.5 ACCESSORY UPDATE", or is there another volume?

The official version is here. (It's the original, though this one's hosted at System Reference Documents; it was easier than looking through WotC's chaos for their link.)

The one I use is this one. It's a cross-linked HTML collection, which lets you look around far more easily than with WotC's RTFs.

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

Lysander
Learned Scribe

USA
183 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2004 :  04:52:52  Show Profile  Visit Lysander's Homepage Send Lysander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bookwyrm

quote:
Originally posted by Lysander

Is this the demi-tome entitled "PLAY MORE FREE D&DŽ V.3.5 ACCESSORY UPDATE", or is there another volume?

The official version is here. (It's the original, though this one's hosted at System Reference Documents; it was easier than looking through WotC's chaos for their link.)

The one I use is this one. It's a cross-linked HTML collection, which lets you look around far more easily than with WotC's RTFs.

Thank you :) Figure if I'm being dragged, kicking and screaming, into 4e, er, 3.xE , I might as well know more of what I'm working with.

I'm not giving up S&P without a fight though
(LOL... Player type: "Lysander" Favored system: 2E:S&P ... I can see it now hehehe)

Lysander

Defender of the Second Edition
Moderator, Project Gemengan, Worlds of D&D
Go to Top of Page

Sourcemaster2
Senior Scribe

USA
361 Posts

Posted - 24 Aug 2004 :  05:33:14  Show Profile  Visit Sourcemaster2's Homepage Send Sourcemaster2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've been looking for a feat that allows minor wizardly spellcasting. The Halruaan Magical Training feat just doesn't have the right feel I'm looking for, so I was wondering if there's some other out there that might fit. If not, my idea was the ability to learn-but not immediate knowledge of-cantrips and 1st level spells. Either three cantrips or one 1st level spell could be cast per day, and an appropriate intelligence would of course be required. Any suggestions, either for a preexisting feat or a new one?

But what have all the passing years/Done, but breed new angers, fears?/Show me now an equal worth/To innocence I earned at birth.

Edited by - Sourcemaster2 on 24 Aug 2004 05:34:41
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2004 :  00:56:51  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here's my suggestion. First, stick with Magical Training; it gives you the ability to cast three cantrips per day, and if you pick the wizardly path there's no reason you can't add more cantrips to your spellbook. On the other hand, if you don't want that, then a feat is NOT what you want. Just stick with multiclassing.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2004 :  01:07:46  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I added Psionic skills to the Grand List of Skill Synergies.

Go to Top of Page

Karesch
Learned Scribe

Canada
199 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2004 :  04:01:42  Show Profile  Visit Karesch's Homepage Send Karesch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ok, this is a long one. I developed it the other day, I hope you can all understand it.

Rage of the Magi [feat]

Prerequisites: Must be Wizard or Sorcerer of at least 10th level. Must be living, Not usable if undead, construct, etc. Must have CON score of 16 or better. Must already have Metamagic Feats:L Empower Spell, Enlarge Spell, Extend Spell, Heighten Spell, Maximize Spell, and must have Spell Mastery of the spell to be used with this effect.

Other note: using this feat is a full round action.

Effects: When used, a caster takes great risk. During battle, a caster may find him/herself reaching a point of "Battle Rage" wherein they feel the odds of the battle are falling against their favor, and in a last ditch attempt at winning the battle or turning it in their favor, may call upon this feat. It effects the spell cast by adding all five metamagic feats to it simultaneously, as per each feats explaination in the PHB with one exception. Maximize spell is added to the final result of all the modifications by the other feats. Thus, any random numbers in the spell are always at their max, not just the rolls from the base spell, but all rolls, including the modified ones from the previous metamagic feats. Thus creating what is probably the most potent version of that spell imaginable.
It comes with a brutal cost however. Upon completing this action, the caster takes 15 pts of dmg, and must make a Fort Save (DC20) or pass out for 2 rounds (treat as unconcious/prone). Also, the dmg taken, can only heal naturally through rest. No amount of herbal/magical/other healing will recover the hit points. By using this ability the caster has effectively poured part of their life into the casting, and it must be recovered through time. Undead, nor any other non-living creature/item can use this feat for this reason, as it requires a bit of life to power it. It is a power bourne of desperation, fear and rage. It is concievable that a powerful caster might attempt to use this ability more than once in a day, however, for every use of this feat in a day, the Fort save DC increases by +5, and the dmg taken increases by +10, both cumulatively with each use. Each use of this ability also consumes (as if cast) both the spell unleashed with this ability and the highest spell slot still prepared at the time of the feats use. (The caster must have a spell prepared at least 1 level higher than the spell modified with this ability, although if there is one several levels higher, it consumes the highest prepared spell available).

This feat is meant to represent a magic users ability to, in times of desperation, unleash an incredibly powerful, (although not always completely controlled, DM's discretion) burst of magical energy. It could be modified such that, the subtype of the spell (fire/sonic/cold/etc) could be changed to purely magical energy like that of a magic missle, that is up to the player and or DM to decide, or it could be open that the player can change the subtype at will during it's casting, thus a fireball could be treated as an "ice"ball or somesuch, which might be rolled to represent the not entirely controlled nature of the spell. Thus if a player used a fireball, they might roll a D6 alotting a subtype to each number.
1) fire
2) cold
3) sonic
4) acid
5) magic (as magic missle)
6) roll twice and divide dmg into two sub-types.

Again, this is something I leave to others discretion in gameplay. This feat is meant to carry grave risk to the caster, (dropping out cold in the midst of battle can prove fatal, aswell as losing such HP) and is meant as a last ditch type use, not something to be tossed around heedlessly. One should consider the risks before using it. Even once, 15HP off a wizard/sorcerer that cannot be healed any way but by rest, can be alot. If the character pushes themselves to carry on being active for another 24 hours, before resting, they will be down those 15HP until such a time as they rest and the dmg can heal naturally.

Well, tell me what you think. This is my first attempt at creating a feat, it is quite powerful I know, I intended it to be that way, but are the drawbacks enough? or should they be increased?

K

Knowledge is power... power corrupts... knowledge corrupts? hmm...

Death is only frightening to those who haven't died yet...
Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2004 :  04:57:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Karesch

Ok, this is a long one. I developed it the other day, I hope you can all understand it.

Rage of the Magi [feat]

Prerequisites: Must be Wizard or Sorcerer of at least 10th level. Must be living, Not usable if undead, construct, etc. Must have CON score of 16 or better. Must already have Metamagic Feats:L Empower Spell, Enlarge Spell, Extend Spell, Heighten Spell, Maximize Spell, and must have Spell Mastery of the spell to be used with this effect.

Other note: using this feat is a full round action.

Effects: When used, a caster takes great risk. During battle, a caster may find him/herself reaching a point of "Battle Rage" wherein they feel the odds of the battle are falling against their favor, and in a last ditch attempt at winning the battle or turning it in their favor, may call upon this feat. It effects the spell cast by adding all five metamagic feats to it simultaneously, as per each feats explaination in the PHB with one exception. Maximize spell is added to the final result of all the modifications by the other feats. Thus, any random numbers in the spell are always at their max, not just the rolls from the base spell, but all rolls, including the modified ones from the previous metamagic feats. Thus creating what is probably the most potent version of that spell imaginable.
It comes with a brutal cost however. Upon completing this action, the caster takes 15 pts of dmg, and must make a Fort Save (DC20) or pass out for 2 rounds (treat as unconcious/prone). Also, the dmg taken, can only heal naturally through rest. No amount of herbal/magical/other healing will recover the hit points. By using this ability the caster has effectively poured part of their life into the casting, and it must be recovered through time. Undead, nor any other non-living creature/item can use this feat for this reason, as it requires a bit of life to power it. It is a power bourne of desperation, fear and rage. It is concievable that a powerful caster might attempt to use this ability more than once in a day, however, for every use of this feat in a day, the Fort save DC increases by +5, and the dmg taken increases by +10, both cumulatively with each use. Each use of this ability also consumes (as if cast) both the spell unleashed with this ability and the highest spell slot still prepared at the time of the feats use. (The caster must have a spell prepared at least 1 level higher than the spell modified with this ability, although if there is one several levels higher, it consumes the highest prepared spell available).

This feat is meant to represent a magic users ability to, in times of desperation, unleash an incredibly powerful, (although not always completely controlled, DM's discretion) burst of magical energy. It could be modified such that, the subtype of the spell (fire/sonic/cold/etc) could be changed to purely magical energy like that of a magic missle, that is up to the player and or DM to decide, or it could be open that the player can change the subtype at will during it's casting, thus a fireball could be treated as an "ice"ball or somesuch, which might be rolled to represent the not entirely controlled nature of the spell. Thus if a player used a fireball, they might roll a D6 alotting a subtype to each number.
1) fire
2) cold
3) sonic
4) acid
5) magic (as magic missle)
6) roll twice and divide dmg into two sub-types.

Again, this is something I leave to others discretion in gameplay. This feat is meant to carry grave risk to the caster, (dropping out cold in the midst of battle can prove fatal, aswell as losing such HP) and is meant as a last ditch type use, not something to be tossed around heedlessly. One should consider the risks before using it. Even once, 15HP off a wizard/sorcerer that cannot be healed any way but by rest, can be alot. If the character pushes themselves to carry on being active for another 24 hours, before resting, they will be down those 15HP until such a time as they rest and the dmg can heal naturally.

Well, tell me what you think. This is my first attempt at creating a feat, it is quite powerful I know, I intended it to be that way, but are the drawbacks enough? or should they be increased?

K

Good idea-I'm just going to template it properly(hope you don't mind), and fix a few redundancies.
Some questions: 1) If Spell Mastery is a requirement, only Wizards and other prepared arcane spellcasters can cast it-is this what you want?
2) Should it not be expanded to include other variant arcane spellcasting classes(ie, the warmage or artificer)?
3) How heightened is the spell?
4) Should the save DC not be based off the spell's new level or such-this would be quite powerful if you didn't have to worry about the save DC.
5) Again, should the damage not be based off the spell's new level or such-same reasons.
6) It might make sense that the fatigue continues after you awaken-ie, you are exhausted after awakening.

Rage of the Magi[Metamagic]
You may cast a powerful last ditch spell, which is greatly physically draining.
Prerequisites: Sorcerer or Wizard level 10, Con 16, Empower Spell, Enlarge Spell, Extend Spell, Heighten Spell, Maximize Spell, and Spell Mastery(see text)
Benefit: You gain the following ability:
Rage of the Magi(Sp): You cast a single spell which you possess the Spell Mastery feat for and which you have prepared. This spell is automatically empowered, enlarged, extended, heightened, and maximized(Apply each metamagic feat in turn; do not apply feats that do not have an effect upon the spell normally, such as extending a spell with an instantaneous duration). You then take 15 points of damage, and must make a Fortitude save(DC 20). This damage cannot be healed through any other method other then rest. If you fail the Fortitude save, you go unconcious and prone for two rounds. You lose not only the prepared spell, but an additional spell of the highest-level you can cast(choose randomly) This spell-like ability takes a full round action to use.
Special: For each additional time you use the ability each day, the Fortitude DC is raised by +5, and the damage is raised by +10.
Go to Top of Page

Karesch
Learned Scribe

Canada
199 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2004 :  21:27:09  Show Profile  Visit Karesch's Homepage Send Karesch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you Arivia, I know I made it a bit long in my description, as I was trying to detail it as best I could so it would be understandable, I didn't want to leave anything out, or anything unclear. As for the spell mastery, I would say, that only applies to wizards, as sorcerer's just "know" all their spells, thus it would cancel out the need for spell mastery. As for including other variant arcane casters, I wanted to limit it a bit, I could see a warmage perhaps, as long as his caster level was 10, I don't know much about the artificer to say yay or nay on them. I suppose that's something that could be left to an individuals discretion. How heightened is the spell... why, as heightened as possible, I would imagine. Save DC's, I'm assuming you mean, for an opponents save against the spell, in which case, yes, it would be based of the spells new level. The dmg being based off the spells new level, yes, that in effect is the point, the spells dmg will be increased to reflect it's new level, as far as how many die are used to calculate dmg and such, however, all die are treated as maximized, even ones added on after the spell has been heightened and such (this is something the PHB says doesn't happen, that maximize only works on the base number of dice for the spell, not additional dice added due to other metamagic feats. I changed this to suit my desires, and to reflect the power of such an angry discharge of magic, thus, all dice are maximized). As for fatigue continuing on after rest, I considered adding that you would be treated as fatigued for 8 hours after awakening from your rest, even though the dmg is healed, you are still tired from the expenditure. 'tis a good idea I think.

K

Knowledge is power... power corrupts... knowledge corrupts? hmm...

Death is only frightening to those who haven't died yet...

Edited by - Karesch on 25 Aug 2004 21:29:13
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 27 Sep 2004 :  06:10:14  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Alaundo, would you prefer that generic gameplay items be moved to Worlds?

Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 27 Sep 2004 :  09:24:35  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Alaundo, would you prefer that generic gameplay items be moved to Worlds?

Well met

Hmmmm, 'tis all very interesting in its own right, Bookwyrm. As to whether it belongs within this particular scroll - i'd probably say not. However, I wouldn't say no to such discussions here at Candlekeep in another scroll.

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1796 Posts

Posted - 29 Sep 2004 :  18:20:03  Show Profile Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Premature Wyrm [General]
Prerequisite: dragon, true
Benefit: This dragon was born before its due date. Whether someone cracked the egg shell too early or whether environmental conditions were not there, this dragon is slightly more frail than his relative dragons of the same age. For all purposes except sheer size, the dragon acts as a dragon one, two, or three categories younger than his true age. It is either frail-looking, very slender, or very feminine-looking dragon (descriptive appearance is the character's choice). For example, Lady Anna, a silver dragon, is a Young Adult dragon with this feat. Her statistics could correspond to the ones associated either to Juvenile, Young, or Young Adult silver dragons. In this case, her combat statistics are set to a Young Dragon, but her size is still Large as a Young Adult and she can therefore carry a rider or resist bull-rush attempts more effectively, for example (note that she has the same reach, attack damage, attack bonus, ability scores, saves, spells, abilities, etc. as a Young Dragon, despite of her larger size). If Lady Anna reaches the age of Great Wyrm, she will still use the statistics of an Ancient silver dragon, and will never gain the abilities of a Wyrm or Great Wyrm, no matter the amount of additional aging. While this feat is a disadvantage from a dragon perspective, it allows for characters with the dragon cohort or leadership feat to obtain a dragon mount at lower levels because most good dragons are not larger than Medium-size, which prevents most characters from having a dragon mount (gnomes and halflings are lucky in this regard, and can have mounts that do not require them to expend this feat to allow a rider!)
Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1796 Posts

Posted - 05 Oct 2004 :  19:37:18  Show Profile Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Gnomish Gunslinger [Regional]
Your people have invented the firearm, a weapon that makes you very deadly despite your small size.
Prerequisite: Gnome (The Great Dale, Lantan, Thesk, The Western Heartlands).
Benefits: All firearms are considered martial weapons for you. In addition, the wielder is considered as having Weapon Focus whenever shooting a gun. This virtual feat counts for purposes of qualifying for Weapon Specialization, or any other feat requiring Weapon Focus as a prerequisite.
Special: You may select this feat only at a 1st level character. You may have only one Regional feat. A fighter may select Gnomish Gunner as one of his fighter bonus feats.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 11 Oct 2004 :  08:22:16  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Now this, I like. Great stuff PDK .

Unfortuately, I don't have any gnome PCs in my current campaign so that I would be able to see how well this feat functions... .

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Kaladorm
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1176 Posts

Posted - 30 Oct 2004 :  17:42:37  Show Profile  Visit Kaladorm's Homepage Send Kaladorm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Had a bit of time to kill and I just stumbled across this forum. Unfortunately I don't have the file to hand (and I won't for another few months), but I've created a load of feats for Specialist Wizards.
We all tend to chat about ideas and rules etc in our current campaign (we play something more like 3.25 at the moment) and decided that the specialist wizards don't really embody the spirit of being that class. A Necromancer for example could have his 1 spell per level of necromancy and the rest of his spells from enchantment say. Also we didn't feel that specialising provided enough of a benefit (and certainly with the 3.5 rules made some specialists far more powerfl tha others, transmuter vs illusionist anyone?)Hardly someone you'd call a necromancer but yet still technically their class.
So after seeing the Initiate feats for clerics (yet another thing to make clerics more powerful ) I decided to create similar feats for wizards, granting new spells and a minor benefit. They must be lvl 3, the appropriate specialist wizard, and have spell focus in their chosen school.

(here is an example from memory
Initiate of Necromancy [Initiate]

Benefit: The Necromancer may rebuke undead once per day as an evil cleric, using his int modifier in place of cha. Additionally the necromancer may spontaneously cast summon undead spells of the appropriate level similar to how a cleric spontaneously casts heal spells)

In addition the Necromancer may add the following spells to their spell list

1st: Grasping hands : Skeletal/Mummified/Zombie hands reach up from the ground to grasp at the feet of all nearby
[Same rules as Entangle spell]

2nd: Deaths Embrace: Target is treated as undead, but suffers no alignment/ability change. E.g. a sword of +1dmg vs undead would do +1dmg against the target creature, but a paladins smite evil ability would not necessarily do extra damage (unless the creature was evil to sart with)

another 5th level spell I can't remember]

Initiate of Evocation [Initiate]

Benefit: gains the benefit of energy substitution feat

1st: Alluins Probing Spheres: 1d4 dmg per level (max 5d4), as magic missile but each individual sphere's damage type may be chosen at will (acid, electric, cold, fire, magic, piercing, bludgeoning, slashing, sonic, holy, negative, any others I forgot)

3rd: Malice: Choose an element-damage type. That creature takes an additional d6 points of damage whenever that type of damage is inflicted, whoever by or howsoever it was inflicted.

5th greater Malice: as Malice but an additional d8

7th: Superior Malice: As greater malice but affecting 30' radius

and so on for the others. It's all complete now I just have to try and get hold of my file from home. I'll leave you in suspense, hope you like what you've seen so far :)
Go to Top of Page

Sourcemaster2
Senior Scribe

USA
361 Posts

Posted - 30 Oct 2004 :  21:11:32  Show Profile  Visit Sourcemaster2's Homepage Send Sourcemaster2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Kaladorm, those ideas look interesting. I too have found that specialization is a powergamer tool more than anything else and even tried eliminating them entirely and replacing the option with certain abilities associated with either a type of magic, element, or other variable. It worked up to a point, but risked overpowering the mage class in general. Still, a feat such as you poted, a PrC, or perhaps variations of the wizard class can add flavor to the various titles, making specializing more than a technical detail.

But what have all the passing years/Done, but breed new angers, fears?/Show me now an equal worth/To innocence I earned at birth.
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 30 Oct 2004 :  23:23:15  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm currently playing a varient illusionist from Unearthed Arcana, called the shadow shaper. At first level, Hide is a class skill. Then, in place of the four bonus feats (and gaining them in this order at the appropriate levels), you have the following abilities:

5th level: Add Int modifier to Hide check.
10th level: +1 DC for Illusion spells.
15th level: Hide in plain sight.
20th level: Any concealment becomes total concealment.

Considering that she's a gestalt character with rogue levels (+5d6 sneak attack), greater invisibility, the Extend Spell feat, and a handy shortbow, you don't tick her off.

Go to Top of Page

Kaladorm
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1176 Posts

Posted - 19 Dec 2004 :  16:14:50  Show Profile  Visit Kaladorm's Homepage Send Kaladorm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here are the finalised Initiate Wizard feats I promised. Any comments/suggestions greatly appreciated.

Initiate of Evocation [Initiate]

Prerequisite: 3rd level Invoker, Spell focus (Evocation)

Benefit: Gains the feat Energy Substitution

In addition you may add the following spells to your wizard spell list:

1st: Alluins Probing Spheres - Deals damage 1d4/level to target (Max 5d4), type of damage can be chosen for each d4 rolled (slashing, bludgeoning, piercing, acid, sonic, fire, cold, electricity, for example, a 3rd level caster could do 2d4 sonic and 1d4 acid damage)

3rd: Malosini - Choose one element (acid, sonic, cold, fire, electricity), target creature takes an additional 1d4 / two caster levels when it is struck with that element (whoever strikes it)

5th: Greater Malosini - As Malison but 1d6

7th: Superior Malosini - As Greater Malison but affecting enemies in a 30t Radius

Initiate of Conjuration [Initiate]

Prerequisite: 3rd level Conjuror, Spell focus (Conjuration)

Benefit: Once / day may summon one non-magic item instantly, valuing less than or equal to 150gp (appears in the conjurors hand, if it is too large to hold then it appears in front of the conjuror or in the nearest available space that can contain it). Waukeen has limited this summoning to anything that will not damage the economy (i.e. gold, gems, trade goods etc.).

2nd: Orb of Light Control - Summons an orb which must be held in the casters hand. As a move equivalent action the caster can choose for the orb to be emitting light as a light spell or darkness as a darkness spell. The orb stays in existence for 1min/level

4th: Call of the Hero - Willing recipients are summoned to your location as with a Teleport Spell (subjects must be carrying a personal item of the casters, e.g. a ring, a lock of hair, the wizards mark on a stone/parchment etc.)

Initiate of Necromancy [Initiate]

Prerequisite: 3rd level Necromancer, Spell focus (necromancy)

Benefit: Once/day can rebuke or command undead as an evil cleric using int modifier in place of cha modifier. May spontaneously cast Summon Undead spells by sacrificing a spell of the apropriate level (Summon Undead detailed in Magic of Faerun).

1st: Grasping Hands - for 1 round /level 40ft radius skeletal hands, mummified arms etc. grasp at the feet of anyone in the area. Reflex save each round or else the victim loses his movement for that round (the victim can still make normal actions, he is just treated as having a movement speed of 0)

2nd: Deaths Curse - Target creature is treated as undead for the purposes of turning, spell damage and any rolls with the word undead in their descriptor. Alignment and abilities or resistances do not change, (for example a sword with +1dmg vs undead would strike with +1dmg, a Paladins Smite Evil ability however would not work).
Will save negates

4th: Spirit Choke - Target takes 1d8dmg / three levels and is stunned for 1d3 rounds / two levels caster. Fort save to avoid being stunned.

5th: Bone Armour - Caster gains a +4 natural AC bonus

Initiate of Enchantment [Initiate]
Prerequisite: 3rd level Enchanter, Spell focus (Enchantment)

Benefit: Charm and Compulsion spells cast at +1 caster level (list includes:Charm Person, Hypnotism, Hideous Laughter, Suggestion, Charm monster, Confusion, Lesser Geas, Dominate Person, Geas, Mass Suggestion, Symbol of Persuasion, Antipathy, Mass Charm Monster, Demand, Irresistable Dance, Sympathy, Dominate Monster)

2nd: Spirit of the Wolf - Base speed increases to that of a wolf (50ft), lasts 1round/level.

3rd: Polvors Returning Projectiles - Gives an item the Returning property

4th: Heroic Body – Increases Str, Con, and Dex by 1d4+1

4th: Heroic Mind - Increases Int, Wis, and Cha by 1d4+1

Initiate of Illusions [Initiate]
Prerequisite: 3rd level Illusionist, Spell focus (Illusion)

Benefit: Can cast Dispel Illusion once/day. Dispel Illusion functions exactly like Dispel Magic but it only affects Illusions.

1st: Feign Death - Caster appears to die.

3rd: Twin - Creates a duplicate that sounds, looks and acts like the caster. The caster can give the illusion instructions which the illusion will obey. The illusion can appear to cast spells the caster can, but the spells have no effect. Should the Illusion take any damage or be succesfully dispelled then it dissipates. The illusion can attack creatures with the same weapon and attack bonus as the caster at the time of summoning, but deals only half damage.

5th: Shadow Twin - As Twin, except the Twin is created from the Plane of Shadow and as such is classed as an Outsider. The Shadow Twin also inflicts full damage. The next spell cast by the illusionist of 3rd level or lower, the Shadow Twin copies exactly and then dissipates. Effect is the same as if using the metamagic feat Twin Spell. The Shadow Twin has AC that of the caster and the casters hitpoints at time of casting. If it is taken below 0hp or dispelled before it casts the spell it dissipates. Any spell cast where the effects do not stack from being cast twice (for example if the caster casts mage armour) then the duration is doubled.

Initiate of Transmutation [Initiate]
Prerequisite: 3rd level Transmuter, Spell focus (Transmutation)

Benefit: Once per day the the caster may change an items material type, to another material type for 1 hour. All properties of the item remain the same (such as damage on a weapon, or AC of armour, weight), apart from those affected by material (e.g. a druid could wear a chain shirt that has been turned to wood, or for purposes of damage reduction, a steel sword turned to silver). This skill may be applied to 20 of an ammunition type (bolts, arrows, bullets, shurikens etc.). Materials allowed are: Steel, Iron, Wood, Stone, Leather, Adamantium, Glass, Silver, Bone.

1st: Reduce Monster - As Reduce Person. Fort save negates

1st: Enlarge Monster - As Enlarge Person. Fort save negates

4th: Warped Magic - The caster may change a single magic property on an item to one of similar strength for 1 hour (for example a Corrosive Long Sword could become a Venemous Long Sword). This may be cast multiple times on the same item.

Initiate of Divination [Initiate]
Prerequisite: 3rd level Diviner, Spell focus (Divination)

Benefit: If an object, person, or area has been protected against Divination, the caster can make a spellcraft check (DC15 + spell level) to break through the enchantment when attempting to use a Divination spell there.

1st: Lelaniels Lost Knowledge - Allows the user to make a Bardic Knowledge check as a bard of the same level

2nd: Token of Tracking - Summons 1 token /level which lasts for 5min /level before disintegrating. Token can be given to someone or placed somewhere and the caster will be able to sense its location (direction and distance from caster) as a free action.

Initiate of Abjuration [Initiate]
Prerequisite: 3rd level Abjurer, Spell focus (Abjuration)

Benefit: May cast Shield once/day as a spell like ability

2nd: Minor Explosive Runes - Deals 6d4 damage when read

3rd: Minds Eye - Target gets a supernatural bonus to AC equal to the casters Int modifier for 1 hour /level

Edited by - Kaladorm on 19 Dec 2004 16:20:11
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 19 Dec 2004 :  21:08:55  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd forgotten about these. Good work.

You might want to take a look at the new Feats thread over at Worlds of D&D. I've got two feats each for Diviners and Conjurers.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 20 Dec 2004 :  01:47:18  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Interesting feats you've presented here, Kaladorm. Your approach reminds me a little of my own approach with bringing psionics into (major) use within a campaign.

I hope to see more.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Kaladorm
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1176 Posts

Posted - 20 Dec 2004 :  13:09:41  Show Profile  Visit Kaladorm's Homepage Send Kaladorm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well I'm sure you're all familiar with the clerical "Initiate of..." feats so I used the same format. Like clerics need powering up anyway hehe.
Anyway I liked the idea of some of the initiate feats since it added a little more flavour to being a cleric of a certain god, and I thought the same would work for wizards (with a school in place of a god).
These are by no means set in stone, feel free to use the ideas in your own campaigns or change them as you wish, we'll be using it in our campaign (although no one plays a wizard). We play something like v3.2 hehe.
Any suggestions on over/underpowered spells, or additions to the spell lists would be recieved with thanks.
Go to Top of Page

warlockco
Master of Realmslore

USA
1695 Posts

Posted - 01 Jan 2005 :  13:03:26  Show Profile  Visit warlockco's Homepage Send warlockco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A poster over on the WotC FR Boards had asked for an Initiate of Kossuth feat, this is what I presented to them.

Initiate of Kossuth [Initiate]
You have been initiated into the greatest secrets of Kossuth's church.
Prerequisites: Ability to cast 2nd level Divine Spells, Patron Deity Kossuth.
Benefit: When you use a Summon Monster or Summon Nature's Ally spell to summon a Fire Elemental, the Fire Elemental gains a +4 enhancement bonus to its Strength and Constitution scores, as though you possessed the Augment Summoning feat.
In addition, you may add the following spells to your Cleric or Druid spell list.
Level
1st Burning Hands: 1d4/level fire damage (max 5d4).
3rd Fireball: 1d6 damage per level, 20-ft. radius.
7th Delayed Blast Fireball: 1d6/level fire damage; you can postpone blast for 5 rounds.
9th Erupt: Draw molten lava up through the ground.

News of the Weird

D20 System Reference Document
D20 Modern System Reference Document

Edited by - warlockco on 04 Jan 2005 23:38:56
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 01 Jan 2005 :  17:02:35  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like it. Very good work, Warlockco

Go to Top of Page

warlockco
Master of Realmslore

USA
1695 Posts

Posted - 02 Jan 2005 :  01:21:53  Show Profile  Visit warlockco's Homepage Send warlockco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks, did notice one thing about Serpent Kingdoms when I went back to that feat to add the short spell description.
They didn't do that for any of the spells in Serpent Kingdoms, can't blame them though, why waste 2 or so pages for only 5-10 spells.

News of the Weird

Go to Top of Page

Kaladorm
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1176 Posts

Posted - 04 Jan 2005 :  16:46:44  Show Profile  Visit Kaladorm's Homepage Send Kaladorm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A cleric with fireball *sobs*
So....much....power
Go to Top of Page

hammer of Moradin
Senior Scribe

USA
758 Posts

Posted - 04 Jan 2005 :  19:32:26  Show Profile  Visit hammer of Moradin's Homepage Send hammer of Moradin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Good to see you haven't been idle while I have Kal. Interesting feats. Now, do you see some way for a Sorcerer to gain these benefits by changing the Prereqs to something akin to what type of spells they know (Initiate of Necromancy knowing x number of spells from the school of Necromancy of this level, as an example)? Or Bards even? An Initiate of Enchantment Bard seems quite appropriate.

"Hurling himself upon his enemies, he terrified them with slaughter!"

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium

Candlekeep proverb: If a thing is said often enough, fools aplenty will believe it to be true.
Go to Top of Page

warlockco
Master of Realmslore

USA
1695 Posts

Posted - 04 Jan 2005 :  22:45:01  Show Profile  Visit warlockco's Homepage Send warlockco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kaladorm

A cleric with fireball *sobs*
So....much....power

So is that cries of happiness or sorrow?

News of the Weird

Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4686 Posts

Posted - 04 Jan 2005 :  23:06:49  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by warlockco

Prerequisites: Cleric or Druid level 3rd, Patron Deity Kossuth.

Well might be fair if Divine caster level was two, that at least gives the Ranger and Paladin access to the feat.
Go to Top of Page

warlockco
Master of Realmslore

USA
1695 Posts

Posted - 04 Jan 2005 :  23:36:12  Show Profile  Visit warlockco's Homepage Send warlockco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kentinal

quote:
Originally posted by warlockco

Prerequisites: Cleric or Druid level 3rd, Patron Deity Kossuth.

Well might be fair if Divine caster level was two, that at least gives the Ranger and Paladin access to the feat.

Ohhh, like that ideal. Ponders Rangers and Paladins throwing Fireballs around

News of the Weird

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 05 Jan 2005 :  20:53:58  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Paladins couldn't take it anyway.

I think it's fine as it is.

Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4686 Posts

Posted - 05 Jan 2005 :  21:27:51  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Paladins couldn't take it anyway.

I think it's fine as it is.

With proposed revision indeed Paladins could take the feat, leaving as is of course they can not.

It appears it is certainly permisible for Kossuth to have Paladins. At least according to one game designer.
http://pub17.ezboard.com/fseankreynoldsboardsfrm2.showMessage?topicID=511.topic

" He certainly can have paladins. They're probably a little nutty, but yeah."
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 14 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000