Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Skills and Feats of the Realms
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 14

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 27 Feb 2004 :  06:36:44  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I doubt it would take much twisting, milady.

I hadn’t realized that anyone else would be reading the files I sent. I suppose it would make sense that, at the very least, his lady love would see them lying around. I just hadn’t thought about it. I doubt it makes any real difference, but it might change the tone of a few things I’ll send from now on.

As for the book, I read it for the character himself. I’d found him in several short stories, then noticed two Ravenloft books in my brother’s bookcase. (He was my only source for Realmslore until I started buying my own. Now I’m the expert in the family. Just took me a few years, that’s all. ) Out of curiosity, I picked them up, and found that here was where the story started. I was so disappointed to find out that the short stories took place before that book.

But I cling to the rumors that my favorite vampire might actually be around still . . . .

PS - I now own that book; my brother gave it to me, since he didn’t care for it. So I suppose I should have counted that as another source of Ravenlore.

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 27 Feb 2004 :  13:30:38  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Don't concern yourself too much with the tone of your various ethereal mail files that you send me Bookwyrm. I make it a policy not to show anything anyone sends to me...

The main reason I'd shown the Lady your working on Jack Archer was to provide an idea for her to see how in-depth I like both PCs and NPCs to be in my games. Most of the characters I am using in my current games at the moment are PCs - or if I DM - NPCs that I've carried over from other games, and the Lady has already gone over those. I wanted her to see a character created by someone else, and considering the extraordinary amount of effort you put into forming Jack Archer, your work just happened to fill the bill.

Unless you specify otherwise in the future, it will never happen again...

Bookwyrm said -
quote:
Out of curiosity, I picked them up, and found that here was where the story started. I was so disappointed to find out that the short stories took place before that book.

But I cling to the rumors that my favorite vampire might actually be around still . . .
As was I...

There were some very strong rumors about three and a half years ago, that Jander Sunstar would one day escape the Dread Domains (although it is mostly considered impossible) and return to 'sunny' Faerun. I believe it was originally set to be one of those cross-setting novel series, much like the Dragonlance and Forgotten Realms series of novels have had in the past.

It's a shame really that nothing more became of this...

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 27 Feb 2004 :  19:34:59  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh, don't worry about it -- go ahead and show her whatever I send you on Jack. I was just surprised that anyone else saw it; I just don't like showing my "messy" stuff to people at large unless it's to gain input, and I'd be interested in what her reactions were. Perhaps some ethereal mail from one or either of you?

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2004 :  06:45:09  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Great then...

I'll let her know about your interest in her opinions. I'm sure she'll be visiting soon anyway...I know she's hovering around here somewhere...

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 13 Mar 2004 :  05:37:56  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here's a feat I've been tinkering with since yesterday. It's based slightly off the 'Light Sleeper' feat from Monte Cook's Arcana Unearthed -

Sleep in the Saddle

Prerequisite: Light sleeper

Benefits: You can sleep almost anywhere, ignoring vigorous motion, uncomfortable conditions and bad temperatures. You can fall asleep in the saddle of a walking horse (and thus travel over land while you would typically rest), or below decks of a tossing ship. You can even sleep in heavy armour and not wake up fatigued.

It still requires a little more alteration, but I haven't got time now. Anyway, other scribes here may have some interesting suggestions...

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 01 May 2004 :  10:24:25  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Education feat is all well and good, but I wanted a different version to give that "absent-minded professor" feel.

Scholarly [Regional]

You are highly trained in areas of learning, but find the world outside your libraries overly chaotic.

Prerequisite: Elf (Evermeet, Silverymoon, or Snow Eagle Aerie), gnome (Lantan), half-elf (Silverymoon), or human (Chessenta, Lantan, Thay, Silverymoon, or Waterdeep).

Benefit: All Knowledge skills are class skills for your current and all future classes. You gain a +3 bonus on all Knowledge checks, but must take a -2 penalty on all Wisdom-based checks and on all Concentration checks.

Edited by - Bookwyrm on 02 May 2004 10:59:24
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 01 May 2004 :  12:37:48  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Another fine addition to this scroll Bookwyrm . I have a couple of new feats and one skill that I have to add myself, but I'm short of time at the moment, so it'll have to wait 'til the morrow.

It reminds me alot of the stories I read as a child about how Albert Einstein used to constantly forget about where he put his apartment keys upon arriving home. It has been said that he'd likely stand outside the door for several minutes trying to remember where he put the keys, in the end resolving to knock on the door and hope that his wife was home...

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 02 May 2004 :  04:39:48  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Boy, that sounds familiar. Remember, Einstein likely had ADD, like I do. The doctors cite things like how he didn't talk until age four as evidence of that, but in my case, his informal descriptions of scientific theories strike me as the way I'd descibe things. And really, imagining yourself on a motorcycle going the speed of light and looking to the side to see what a photon looked like is classic ADD daydreaming.

Though often I'd be wishing to trade it in for the use of a clear mind.

Go to Top of Page

Israfel666
Acolyte

Italy
37 Posts

Posted - 02 May 2004 :  10:56:21  Show Profile  Visit Israfel666's Homepage Send Israfel666 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like "Sleep in the Saddle"; I suggest adding to the prerequisites 4 ranks in Ride (as many as possible while keeping the feat available to level 1 char), and allowing the regional feat Saddleback in alternative to Light Sleeper.

Scholarly is great! What about opening it to Thayan humans? Some of those Red Wizards, those less interested in political intrigue, might be somewhat absent-minded too...

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 02 May 2004 :  11:00:47  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Good point. I doubt many of them would survive such, especially any Thayan character in a campaign, but I can imagine it happening.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2004 :  02:50:59  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the suggestion Israfel666 . As it happens, I've been thinking about revising that feat anyway, since I want it to be a little more useful than the one presented in DM a while back, that's just come to my attention.

Go to Top of Page

Salabasha
Learned Scribe

Portugal
216 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2004 :  03:27:41  Show Profile  Visit Salabasha's Homepage Send Salabasha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Comatose Healing

Prerequisite - Endurance, Diehard, Con 20

Benefit - A character who posses this feat can willingly go into a coma like trance for 24 hours. Once this time is over, the characters HP is fully recovered.
A character in the trance can not be awaken by verbal means. If attacked during the time while in the trance, the character is considered helpless. The character can regain consciousness at any time, but doesn't gain any healing regardless of the time spent in the coma. (Unless it is for the full 24 hours). This trance heals both lethal and sub-dual damage. An already helpless character is unable to acquire the trance.

Normal - A character may attempt this feat without actually having the feat chosen (but must have the prerequisites). However, halfway through the 24 hours, the character must roll a D6. If the character rolls a 5-6, then they continue on as if they have the feat and it is working normally. If the character rolls a 1-4, then the character is unable to regain consciousness and is permanently in the coma.

Life is like a box of chocolates. Once you eat the poisoned one you die.

Edited by - Salabasha on 08 May 2004 15:25:31
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2004 :  03:38:50  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Interesting, although I believe there is already a d20 Modern feat which essentially allows the same thing you are suggesting here. I'll have to look that up when I get home.

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2004 :  07:02:11  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Salabasha, that feat sounds a bit overpowered for characters with high hit point totals. Perhaps you ought to change it so the character heals damage as if it were nonleathal damage.

Edited by - Alaundo on 08 May 2004 12:26:45
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2004 :  14:45:28  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was mistaken. The feat I was thinking about pertains only to advanced class PCs, so there's no need to fret Salabasha. Although I would heed the words of the Bookwyrm. It does seem a little overpowered.

With regards to non-lethal damage though, what version of the game do you intend this feat to be used in...standard 3.0, or the revised format? The rules for non-lethal damage underwent a slight change in the revised rules, if I remember correctly.

Edited by - The Sage on 08 May 2004 15:40:29
Go to Top of Page

Salabasha
Learned Scribe

Portugal
216 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2004 :  15:24:07  Show Profile  Visit Salabasha's Homepage Send Salabasha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

Although I would heed the words of the Bookwyrm.

Hmmmm are those Bookwyrms words or that of Alaundo's?

In any case, to lessen the overpower, I will add another pre'req.

Also, what were you saying of the changes in the non-lethal?

Go to Top of Page

Salabasha
Learned Scribe

Portugal
216 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2004 :  15:34:16  Show Profile  Visit Salabasha's Homepage Send Salabasha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
How about something a little bit more simpler then...

Construct Empathy

Benefit - You gain +4 on checks that include attempting to fix a construct and attempting to figure out what the construct does (What its purpose is).

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2004 :  15:54:16  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It has potential, although I think it would work better as a psionic feat. This particular benefit could come in particularly useful when a wandering psion comes face to face with a metacreationist's astral construct .

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2004 :  07:08:09  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

With regards to non-lethal damage though, what version of the game do you intend this feat to be used in...standard 3.0, or the revised format? The rules for non-lethal damage underwent a slight change in the revised rules, if I remember correctly.

I don't see any difference, save in name.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2004 :  07:33:56  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Obviously then, I wasn't remembering correctly . I must have been thinking about something else. It wasn't subdual damage though, I know that...

Go to Top of Page

Artalis
Senior Scribe

USA
444 Posts

Posted - 11 May 2004 :  19:51:39  Show Profile Send Artalis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My first attempt... Be gentle.

Natural Empath [General]

Prerequisite: This feat must be taken at first level.

You are attuned to the auras and feelings of others readily sensing their emotions on a basic and fundamental level. Your awareness grants you many advantages but also has its drawbacks.

You gain a +3 bonus to Sense Motive and Heal and a +2 to Bluff, Diplomacy and Perform checks. Further you may have access to the Magical Healer feat without having to purchase the requisite ranks in Heal and Knowledge (Anatomy) as your understanding of the hurts of others is intuitive.

Unfortunately as a “sensitive” you find combat unnerving and any situation where violence is taking place puts you in an uneasy state. You receive a –1 to all skill checks in combat situations where you can sense someone being hurt near you. The dm determines whether or not you sense it.

You find melee combat particularly distressing and are hard pressed to actually hit someone with a weapon up close and personal. You receive a permanent –1 to all melee attacks Ranged combat is more tolerable and only the –1 to skill checks is applicable there.

Artalis

Email

Edited by - Artalis on 11 May 2004 23:21:49
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 12 May 2004 :  00:15:45  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
*^$%& pacifists . . . .

My only complaint with this is that the Heal skill gets a permanent -1 penalty. After all, when are you going to make such a check when someone isn't hurting?

Go to Top of Page

Artalis
Senior Scribe

USA
444 Posts

Posted - 12 May 2004 :  00:51:56  Show Profile Send Artalis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bookwyrm

*^$%& pacifists . . . .

My only complaint with this is that the Heal skill gets a permanent -1 penalty. After all, when are you going to make such a check when someone isn't hurting?

The penalty only applies during COMBAT. The pain and anxiety and anger that the empath senses causes a great deal of confusion and difficulty concentrating. Once things settle down the pain that the empath senses in their "patient" actually aids them in the heal check. Hence the +3. Clearer? Sorry for the confusion.

Artalis

Email

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 12 May 2004 :  07:02:44  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Skilled Healer

You have studied the arts of medicine.

Prerequisite: 2 ranks each in Heal and Profession (herbalist).

Benefit: Your character gains a +3 bonus on Heal and Profession (herbalist) checks.

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 12 May 2004 :  07:09:06  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As discussed with Artalis in private scrolls, this replaces the first feat I made, Magical Healer.

Arcane Healer

You have learned to use your arcane powers to heal others.

Prerequisite: Ability to cast second-level arcane spells, and either Natural Empath or Skilled Healer.

Benefit: Your character can select cure spells as if they were normal arcane spells of one level higher. That is, cure minor wounds becomes a first level spell for sorcerers and wizards, cure light wounds becomes second level, and so on.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 12 May 2004 :  10:14:23  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Since this scroll seems to be gaining some much needed interest (again) -

Dominating Charms

Your mastery of both Compulsions and Charms have made you quite irresistable.

Prerequisites: Able to cast 4th level spells, 10+ ranks in Spellcraft, and 10+ ranks in Knowledge(Arcana)

Benefit: Grants permanent Save +2 to spells with the Charm and/or Compulsion descriptor, a +1 to Spell DC's with Charm and/or Compulsion as a descriptor, and a +1 effective caster level when dealing with a spell with the Charm and/or Compulsion descriptor.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 12 May 2004 :  10:20:16  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here's something I've been tinkering with. It's a class feature, although I haven't come up with a class for it yet, I just have several special abilities that I intend to build a class from -

Stylus Saviorum: Through his dedicated study and transcription of magic tomes with the amanuenses monks, the [Insert Class Name] develops amazing magic reading/scribing skills, comparable to spellcasting abilities once he reaches high levels.
  • At 2nd level the [Insert Class Name] is accustomed to copy magic texts, acquiring the Scribe Scroll feat. (Yet he can only transcribe 0 through 4th level spells).
  • At 5th level the [Insert Class Name] can read magic writing as well as the mundane; he can read magic at will, and as if he cast the homonymous cantrip.
  • At 8th level the [Insert Class Name] knowledge of magic lore allows him to recognize magic items' most basic properties. This supernatural ability works as for the Identify spell and can be used once a day.

Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 12 May 2004 :  12:43:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Here's something I've been tinkering with. It's a class feature, although I haven't come up with a class for it yet, I just have several special abilities that I intend to build a class from -

Stylus Saviorum: Through his dedicated study and transcription of magic tomes with the amanuenses monks, the [Insert Class Name] develops amazing magic reading/scribing skills, comparable to spellcasting abilities once he reaches high levels.
  • At 2nd level the [Insert Class Name] is accustomed to copy magic texts, acquiring the Scribe Scroll feat. (Yet he can only transcribe 0 through 4th level spells).
  • At 5th level the [Insert Class Name] can read magic writing as well as the mundane; he can read magic at will, and as if he cast the homonymous cantrip.
  • At 8th level the [Insert Class Name] knowledge of magic lore allows him to recognize magic items' most basic properties. This supernatural ability works as for the Identify spell and can be used once a day.

Sage, can I grab this? If I can, you're likely going to see a *class*, not a PrC, based around incantations instead of normal spellcasting. It's been an idea I've been tinkering with for awhile, and this just *might* make it work. Artalis and Bookwyrm, mind if I steal your contributions to finish off the Grovewarden of Eldath?
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 12 May 2004 :  13:53:31  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You can use it, of course Arivia . It's part of the reason why I posted this here. As I said, I haven't developed a class yet which incorporates this feature, so if you come up with something I'd like to see it.

If you're interested or are looking for more features, I can post the other class abilities that I have which I also spoke of earlier.

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 12 May 2004 :  15:27:45  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Arivia, they're here to be used.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 14 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000