Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Book Club
 Realms of War: "The Last Paladin of Ilmater"
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 10 Jan 2008 :  16:47:07  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Well met

This is a Book Club thread for the short story entitled "The Last Paladin of Ilmater", by Susan J. Morris, from the Realms of War anthology.

Please discuss herein.

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2008 :  03:00:17  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Now that was an ending I did not see until just before it happened!

Nice twist.

Also enjoyed the two female leads, they had a nice chemistry. Kinda like a girls night out. With blades.....and magic....and undead.

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

Ranak
Learned Scribe

USA
190 Posts

Posted - 28 Jan 2008 :  03:23:06  Show Profile  Visit Ranak's Homepage Send Ranak a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This story really creeped me out and had a real sadness to it. I am not sure the ending really jives all that well with the behavior of undead as described in the rules... but this is one case in which I am glad the author took artistic license.
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 28 Jan 2008 :  03:33:50  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I liked the lead characters, but it felt a little abrupt to me when the focus shifted away from them at the end. Plus, it was a bit confusing to me. I had thought that the Rotting War was caused by the necromancers used by various factions, not by any of the rulers making pacts with Talona. Otherwise the general unease with which wizards are viewed in Chondath doesn't make a lot of sense.
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2008 :  05:51:00  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, this one didn't make much sense to me at all. Didn't understand the time frame, what was going on, how it seemed to contradict what we already knew, etc. I didn't know the paladin was the General of Arrabar until the very end, so that completely lost me.

Overall, poorly plotted, badly researched, badly written, with uninteresting characters. Not much to like, at least for me.

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page

Braveheart
Learned Scribe

Austria
159 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2008 :  08:10:22  Show Profile  Visit Braveheart's Homepage Send Braveheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I thought I had to blame my lack of attention for not understanding the story.
I did like the ending, but couldn't really figure out why no one else noticed that the nurse was a bit more than just "crazy"...

Jarlaxle: "Do keep ever present in your thoughts, my friend, that an illusion can kill you if you believe in it."
Entreri: "And the real thing can kill you whether you believe in it or not."
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 30 Jan 2008 :  18:33:43  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Like some other readers I was really confused by this story, overall. I guess I should state bluntly that I didn't *get* it. Also, why was the General of Arrabar referred to as "The Last Paladin of Ilmater?" That just makes no sense to me. It's not true literally, and I'm not sure how it's true in a metaphorical sense either.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 30 Jan 2008 :  19:36:10  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, I was scratching my head over that one too. I've yet to come up with a plausible, or even implausible, reason.

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page

BruceCordell
Forgotten Realms Designer & Author

22 Posts

Posted - 31 Jan 2008 :  04:45:11  Show Profile  Visit BruceCordell's Homepage Send BruceCordell a Private Message  Reply with Quote
One of the things I really enjoyed about Susan's story was its many compelling images.

The waterbreathing spell that caused "[...] five red gashes to open on each side of Maze's neck likes cuts from a tiger's claws. The woman fell into the into the water, the red gashes fluttered open and closed [...]";

The ungainly grace of the undead who moved with unholy vigor;

The litter left behind when nothing alive remained to care, creating a "[...] carpet of coins, papers, buttons and refuse. [...] a dark ribbon tied around a lock of muddy hair, a half-eaten trail ration crawling with moon-white maggots, a silver heart-shaped locket with broken hinges and shattered glass, a much folded sketch of a woman looking back over her shoulder ..."

Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 31 Jan 2008 :  14:48:48  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
True, one thing I can definitely give to the author was that she was quite skilled with descriptive language.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
Go to Top of Page

RodOdom
Senior Scribe

USA
509 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2008 :  22:49:41  Show Profile  Visit RodOdom's Homepage Send RodOdom a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think this story was an OK first effort from the writer. But I felt there was too much "fancy language" and not enough plot, characterization, etc.
Go to Top of Page

avaz
Acolyte

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 08 Feb 2008 :  19:16:02  Show Profile  Visit avaz's Homepage Send avaz a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Really liked the characters of the two women as well as the descriptiveness as noted above. However, I had a really difficult time understanding what happened in the story.
Go to Top of Page

Karzak
Learned Scribe

196 Posts

Posted - 09 Feb 2008 :  14:48:53  Show Profile  Visit Karzak's Homepage Send Karzak a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BruceCordell

One of the things I really enjoyed about Susan's story was its many compelling images.

The waterbreathing spell that caused "[...] five red gashes to open on each side of Maze's neck likes cuts from a tiger's claws. The woman fell into the into the water, the red gashes fluttered open and closed [...]";

The ungainly grace of the undead who moved with unholy vigor;

The litter left behind when nothing alive remained to care, creating a "[...] carpet of coins, papers, buttons and refuse. [...] a dark ribbon tied around a lock of muddy hair, a half-eaten trail ration crawling with moon-white maggots, a silver heart-shaped locket with broken hinges and shattered glass, a much folded sketch of a woman looking back over her shoulder ..."

Really? The language here reads to me like the author is trying way too hard to be fancy-shmancy. The turns of phrase are hardly all that creative, and "like cuts from a tiger's claw" is a simile that's both trite and cumbersome. "The ungainly grace of the undead who moved with unholy vigor" is downright hideous. Ungainly, undead, unholy? It's almost clever, but it's not really. Not to mention that "ungainly grace" is a silly oxymoron.

Edited by - Karzak on 10 Feb 2008 01:22:28
Go to Top of Page

Ozzalum
Learned Scribe

USA
277 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2008 :  13:29:23  Show Profile  Visit Ozzalum's Homepage Send Ozzalum a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Really? The language here reads to me like the author is trying way too hard to be fancy-shmancy. The turns of phrase are hardly all that creative, and "like cuts from a tiger's claw" is a simile that's both trite and cumbersome. "The ungainly grace of the undead who moved with unholy vigor" is downright hideous. Ungainly, undead, unholy? It's almost clever, but it's not really. Not to mention that "ungainly grace" is a silly oxymoron.

I'm still trying to figure out how to interpret your responses. Does the fact that you didn't criticize the third passage mean that you liked it?

Personally, I found the third passage pretty compelling. The first two didn't do much for me but they didn't elicit quite the same negative response. If you use the words "downright hideous" and "almost creative" (whatever that means) for a sentence with three words beginning with un-, what's left to describe modern art?

"Ungainly grace" to describe a shambling undead is fine. I think the idea is that the undead shuffles about, has stiff joints, but doesn't ever fall down. It would be like using "stumbling grace" to describe a drunken fighter.

I appreciate an author really trying, even if she tries too much on occasion.
Go to Top of Page

Karzak
Learned Scribe

196 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2008 :  18:24:55  Show Profile  Visit Karzak's Homepage Send Karzak a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The third passage is better than the rest.

quote:
Originally posted by Ozzalum

If you use the words "downright hideous" and "almost creative" (whatever that means) for a sentence with three words beginning with un-, what's left to describe modern art?

Almost clever. Whether this is art is up for debate, but "modern" it certainly isn't. It's perfectly conventional writing.

Oh, and "unholy vigor" (or unholy anything) is easily some of the most hackneyed description attached to undead creatures ever. If an author wants to come off as linguistically clever, she should steer clear of cliches that go clunk! like this. Trying too hard, falling so flat. Of course, that's assuming she's trying. I've no idea whether she has particularly well-crafted prose in mind as opposed to content. Then again, the fact that the short story has a nonsensical title anyway... well, it doesn't speak well for its content.

quote:
"Ungainly grace" to describe a shambling undead is fine. I think the idea is that the undead shuffles about, has stiff joints, but doesn't ever fall down.

So... all it takes for you to describe someone as graceful is for them not to trip over their own feet and fall over repeatedly? Okay. I'd say I have a rather different definition of "grace" here.
Go to Top of Page

Ozzalum
Learned Scribe

USA
277 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2008 :  19:56:33  Show Profile  Visit Ozzalum's Homepage Send Ozzalum a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
The third passage is better than the rest.

Now you show you have also mastered damning with faint praise.

Sorry I misread/misquoted you. It wasn't intentional. Somehow I read the "creative" from a couple of lines above and transferred it down. Almost clever makes a lot more sense.

I understand that you are very serious about your opinions and will always have a pointed rejoinder, so let me come at this from a different angle. The writing is only hackneyed and trite if the reader has sufficient experience to realize that the phrases are over used. That might not be the case for the general DnD audience. For instance, I didn't make that connection with "unholy vigor." I have no doubt that is my fault for not reading more fantasy books.

I'm sure it's occurred to you that you might be a little "above" the target audience in terms of... well, just in every way. That might make it difficult enjoy any of these books, except in criticizing them. Just a thought.

Unfortunately I haven't read this story yet, but I hope to soon and return with more commentary that's directly relevant. Sorry for going off on a tangent.
Go to Top of Page

Karzak
Learned Scribe

196 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2008 :  21:57:46  Show Profile  Visit Karzak's Homepage Send Karzak a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I understand that you are very serious about your opinions and will always have a pointed rejoinder, so let me come at this from a different angle. The writing is only hackneyed and trite if the reader has sufficient experience to realize that the phrases are over used. That might not be the case for the general DnD audience. For instance, I didn't make that connection with "unholy vigor." I have no doubt that is my fault for not reading more fantasy books.

On the contrary: "unholy ____" is exactly the kind of phrase I expect to crop up in a D&D spin-off novel/fanfiction. Well, that and the narrative of a lazy/bored DM.
Go to Top of Page

Ranak
Learned Scribe

USA
190 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2008 :  23:09:41  Show Profile  Visit Ranak's Homepage Send Ranak a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Karzak could not be more wrong in this case. Unholy is an incredibly efficient word, that encapsulates a number of ideas that are difficult to express otherwise, and taking the time to do so could be counterproductive to the pacing of the story, particularly when you only have 30 pages to tell your story.

quote:
Originally posted by Karzak

quote:

On the contrary: "unholy ____" is exactly the kind of phrase I expect to crop up in a D&D spin-off novel/fanfiction. Well, that and the narrative of a lazy/bored DM.

Go to Top of Page

Karzak
Learned Scribe

196 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2008 :  23:27:50  Show Profile  Visit Karzak's Homepage Send Karzak a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ranak

Karzak could not be more wrong in this case.

What, that it is trite? That it is the kind of thing that would pop up in D&D spin-off novels, fanfiction, and lazy DM's narratives? I'm pretty sure I'm quite right on that count. It's even quite redundant. Yeah, yeah, undead, animated by wooooo spooky dark necromantic magics wooooo. Of course it is unholy; does anyone expect your average undead, barring the "good" liches and all the rest, to be "holy"? Sanctified maybe? Consecrated perhaps? You could just as well say that "the water was wet" is an efficient description. Sure it is. But does it have a point? You'd think that with limited space, a writer would be more inclined to cut out redundancies, not less.
Go to Top of Page

Ranak
Learned Scribe

USA
190 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2008 :  00:01:04  Show Profile  Visit Ranak's Homepage Send Ranak a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Trite by definition implies that the phrase has become ineffective,and it has not. You might be trying to say that it is overused, which is related, but wholly different and not mutually exclusive. It is a common mistake, don't feel bad about it.

In the context of this discussion, the story "The Last Paladin of Ilmater," unholy is used effectively and appropriately.I would hardly relegate it to the status of hackneyed or stale.

Plus, in the Forgotten Realms, undead may be considered Holy to certain evil sects.

quote:

quote:

Karzak could not be more wrong in this case.

What, that it is trite? That it is the kind of thing that would pop up in D&D spin-off novels, fanfiction, and lazy DM's narratives? I'm pretty sure I'm quite right on that count. It's even quite redundant. Yeah, yeah, undead, animated by wooooo spooky dark necromantic magics wooooo. Of course it is unholy; does anyone expect your average undead, barring the "good" liches and all the rest, to be "holy"? Sanctified maybe? Consecrated perhaps? You could just as well say that "the water was wet" is an efficient description. Sure it is. But does it have a point? You'd think that with limited space, a writer would be more inclined to cut out redundancies, not less.

Go to Top of Page

Karzak
Learned Scribe

196 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2008 :  00:18:11  Show Profile  Visit Karzak's Homepage Send Karzak a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh, really?

Oxford English Dictionary:

trite, a.

1. Worn out by constant use or repetition; devoid of freshness or novelty; hackneyed, commonplace, stale.

2. Well worn; worn out by rubbing; frayed; of a road or path, well-trod, beaten, frequented.

Merriam-Webster:
Main Entry:
trite Listen to the pronunciation of trite
Pronunciation:
#712;tr#299;t
Function:
adjective
Inflected Form(s):
trit·er; trit·est
Etymology:
Latin tritus, from past participle of terere to rub, wear away — more at throw
Date:

: hackneyed or boring from much use : not fresh or original
— trite·ly adverb
— trite·ness noun
synonyms trite, hackneyed, stereotyped, threadbare mean lacking the freshness that evokes attention or interest. trite applies to a once effective phrase or idea spoiled from long familiarity <“you win some, you lose some” is a trite expression>. hackneyed stresses being worn out by overuse so as to become dull and meaningless <all of the metaphors and images in the poem are hackneyed>. stereotyped implies falling invariably into the same pattern or form <views of minorities that are stereotyped and out-of-date>. threadbare applies to what has been used until its possibilities of interest have been totally exhausted <a mystery novel with a threadbare plot>.

quote:
Trite by definition implies that the phrase has become ineffective,and it has not. You might be trying to say that it is overused, which is related, but wholly different and not mutually exclusive. It is a common mistake, don't feel bad about it.

It's a common mistake to assume your arbitrary definition of a word is honest-to-goodness fact, or that a word has one single absolute meaning. Don't feel bad about it.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2008 :  00:25:37  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
We're really beginning to stray from the topic, and it's becoming a bit more heated than is necessary. We need to end both of those trends.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Ranak
Learned Scribe

USA
190 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2008 :  00:31:34  Show Profile  Visit Ranak's Homepage Send Ranak a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Many thanks for proving my point by pulling the definition I used to form my previous argument, Karzak - effectiveness of the idea is the key here. Unholy is not trite in its use in this case, because it is still effective.

Some may believe that it worn out to due to overuse, but if it still effective and appropriate it is not trite in the context of this story. The example given in the definition, “you win some, you lose some” is not even comparable to what is being discussed here.

People frequently misuse this word, I wouldn't worry about it.

quote:

Oh, really?

Oxford English Dictionary:

trite, a.

1. Worn out by constant use or repetition; devoid of freshness or novelty; hackneyed, commonplace, stale.

2. Well worn; worn out by rubbing; frayed; of a road or path, well-trod, beaten, frequented.

Merriam-Webster:
Main Entry:
trite Listen to the pronunciation of trite
Pronunciation:
#712;tr#299;t
Function:
adjective
Inflected Form(s):
trit·er; trit·est
Etymology:
Latin tritus, from past participle of terere to rub, wear away — more at throw
Date:

: hackneyed or boring from much use : not fresh or original
— trite·ly adverb
— trite·ness noun
synonyms trite, hackneyed, stereotyped, threadbare mean lacking the freshness that evokes attention or interest. trite applies to a once effective phrase or idea spoiled from long familiarity <“you win some, you lose some” is a trite expression>. hackneyed stresses being worn out by overuse so as to become dull and meaningless <all of the metaphors and images in the poem are hackneyed>. stereotyped implies falling invariably into the same pattern or form <views of minorities that are stereotyped and out-of-date>. threadbare applies to what has been used until its possibilities of interest have been totally exhausted <a mystery novel with a threadbare plot>.

quote:

It's a common mistake to assume your arbitrary definition of a word is honest-to-goodness fact, or that a word has one single absolute meaning. Don't feel bad about it.

Go to Top of Page

Karzak
Learned Scribe

196 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2008 :  00:42:48  Show Profile  Visit Karzak's Homepage Send Karzak a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Your selective reading is impressive.

devoid of freshness or novelty; hackneyed, commonplace, stale.

not fresh or original

stereotyped implies falling invariably into the same pattern or form

threadbare applies to what has been used until its possibilities of interest have been totally exhausted

But many people possess no reading comprehension. Don't worry about it!
Go to Top of Page

Ranak
Learned Scribe

USA
190 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2008 :  00:49:30  Show Profile  Visit Ranak's Homepage Send Ranak a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I do possess reading comprehension, which is why I understand the actual meaning of the word, rather than pointing out small bits coherent with my argument.

But let's end this back and forth, and focus on the positive aspects of the story!

What was your favorite part Karzak?

I really enjoyed the twist at the end, bittersweet, and very creative in her interpretation of rules regarding undead.

quote:

Your selective reading is impressive.

devoid of freshness or novelty; hackneyed, commonplace, stale.

not fresh or original

stereotyped implies falling invariably into the same pattern or form

threadbare applies to what has been used until its possibilities of interest have been totally exhausted

But many people possess no reading comprehension. Don't worry about it!

Edited by - Ranak on 12 Feb 2008 00:51:34
Go to Top of Page

Karzak
Learned Scribe

196 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2008 :  01:01:07  Show Profile  Visit Karzak's Homepage Send Karzak a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

But let's end this back and forth, and focus on the positive aspects of the story!

Hey, someone's already said what I think; why waste words--

quote:
Originally posted by Hoondatha

Overall, poorly plotted, badly researched, badly written, with uninteresting characters. Not much to like, at least for me.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2008 :  04:16:57  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If people don't stop arguing, I'm going to start removing posts. End it. Now.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2008 :  21:47:30  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
One can argue about the effectiveness (or lack thereof) of the author's prose until one is blue in the face, but at the end of the day, the story just didn't do much for me. What good is lovely prose if the story itself doesn't hit me in the gut? As I said before, I didn't understand the significance of the title ("The Last Paladin of Ilmater" sounds compelling, but doesn't really mean anything in the context of the story, or if it did, I didn't get it), and I was pretty indifferent to the protagonists in the story, as well. In fact, I found the assassin character annoying at times--you'd think someone who was skilled at working with some subtlety (even if she wasn't, as she constantly insisted, a "thief") wouldn't blunder around like a drunkard as she did in the beginning.

The apparent contradiction with already established lore (as KEJR pointed out) doesn't exactly help matters, in my view at least. That being said, I did like the third example of prose that Cordell mentioned (and that wasn't the only example from the book that I liked). And while this is probably the story in the anthology that I liked the least, that doesn't mean all the other stories in the book were brilliant and/or memorable. As I mentioned in another thread, a lot of the stories were servicable and mildly interesting, but didn't "hit me in the gut" and make me think "Wow, that was the craziest twist I've seen in a long time" or "Now there's something people should think about more."

Edited by - Rinonalyrna Fathomlin on 12 Feb 2008 21:48:42
Go to Top of Page

Ozzalum
Learned Scribe

USA
277 Posts

Posted - 13 Feb 2008 :  18:13:07  Show Profile  Visit Ozzalum's Homepage Send Ozzalum a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
As I mentioned in another thread, a lot of the stories were servicable and mildly interesting, but didn't "hit me in the gut" and make me think "Wow, that was the craziest twist I've seen in a long time" or "Now there's something people should think about more."

Is this a difference in expectations between a full length book and a short story? It seems for full novels it is sufficient for the author to merely write an entertaining story and it to be well received for the most part. But short stories seem to have a different criteria for success.

I got the book yesterday and I find I am especially looking forward to reading this particular story based on the reaction to it thus far.
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 13 Feb 2008 :  22:52:22  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Is this a difference in expectations between a full length book and a short story?

Not necessarily, because I'd prefer that a novel I read turns out to be striking rather than merely interesting. Or worse--not interesting.

Go to Top of Page

Ozzalum
Learned Scribe

USA
277 Posts

Posted - 21 Feb 2008 :  16:55:19  Show Profile  Visit Ozzalum's Homepage Send Ozzalum a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Not necessarily, because I'd prefer that a novel I read turns out to be striking rather than merely interesting. Or worse--not interesting.

Fair enough.

I finally got my hands on this book and some time to start reading it. I liked this story a lot. The two female leads had some decent interactions but it was the descriptive writing Bruce highlighted that really made this one stand out.

The manner in which the paladin of Illmater fell was well conceived and the twist that doomed the devoted laywoman worked pretty well too. This wasn't one of those typical, so and so was really behind it all, Scooby Doo-type twists.

I also liked some of the little things, like the Druid's absolute horror when confronted with undead. She didn't really overcome this fear either, which I thought was a nice realistic touch.

Anyway, a good first outing for Susan Morris.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000