Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Book Club
 Realms of War: "Weasel's Run"
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 10 Jan 2008 :  16:46:31  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Well met

This is a Book Club thread for the short story entitled "Weasel's Run", by Lisa Smedman, from the Realms of War anthology.

Please discuss herein.

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2008 :  00:26:11  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Now this was a quirky story, and its one of those strange coincidences that happens that I've just looked up a bit about the hin Ghostwars, and here I open up Realms of War and the same timeframe is referenced.

Just to get this out of my system quickly . . . this does take place before there should be a Tymora. Given that its a flashback story told by a character in the present day, its easily seen as something that the modern storyteller probably told from his perspective, but I figured someone might bring it up, so that was my take.

I have to say that hearing the story of a spriggan was interesting, and not something I was expecting. I liked the details of life in Luiren, and I like that the Ghostwars get a bit more "coverage" in Realms fiction.

Some of the "modernisms" did strike me as odd, especially since Lisa usually isn't an author prone to that sort of thing. "This hin's army" for some reason kept bothering me and bringing me out of the story, but only a little.

Its is kind of funny that this story, which is kind of fun and whimsical, actually was kind of, well, gory. I laughed out loud at the Beast blowing up due to the eaten magic item, even though it occurred to me that it would have been a rather . . . messy . . . scene.

The voice of the dryad at the end was a little disjointed from my point of view.

It was a fun story, and one of the things I like about this is that it kind of introduced the idea that the hin in Luiren have "Kaldair stories," to explain various fantastic events in history.

Edited by - KnightErrantJR on 12 Jan 2008 00:27:33
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2008 :  02:00:53  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As a sufferer of intense allergies when I am unable to quaff my "healing potions". The inclusion of Weasels allergies was brilliant. While an errant sneeze has never revealed me to a pack of Malar worshipers on the hunt, they are damn irritating and it really grounded his character in(excuse this word it is the only one that quite fits) reality!

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2008 :  03:12:22  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, I could relate to the allergies as well. I had to get allergy shots all the way through high school, and still have sinus issues from time to time.
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2008 :  18:36:14  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by KnightErrantJR
Just to get this out of my system quickly . . . this does take place before there should be a Tymora.

Heh, I didn't even notice that.

I very much enjoyed this story, and I like the bits with the dryad, even though I agree that the part near the end was rather disjointed. What I especially liked is that the dryad in this story kind of disproved the current, 4E notion that pre-4E dryads were "too harmless", or "not fey enough" or "just women in the forest with skimpy clothes on" (as one writer put it in W&M, I think). Uh, no, if you tick a dryad off, they'll make you pay for it.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)

Edited by - Rinonalyrna Fathomlin on 29 Jan 2008 18:37:04
Go to Top of Page

RodOdom
Senior Scribe

USA
509 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2008 :  23:07:31  Show Profile  Visit RodOdom's Homepage Send RodOdom a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is my favorite story so far. It was a lot of fun to read !
Go to Top of Page

RodOdom
Senior Scribe

USA
509 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2008 :  23:10:43  Show Profile  Visit RodOdom's Homepage Send RodOdom a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

The voice of the dryad at the end was a little disjointed from my point of view.

I enjoyed this bit. To me it added to the many layers Smedman weaved into this short story.
Go to Top of Page

Kyrene
Senior Scribe

South Africa
729 Posts

Posted - 24 Jul 2008 :  06:41:51  Show Profile  Visit Kyrene's Homepage Send Kyrene a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I got the distinct impression that Weasel was indeed the modernday storyteller. How old do spriggans get anyway?

However that may be, it was a lovely little tale, packed with realmslore, ecology, customs and more. And a main protagonist with hayfever was a stroke of genius.

Lost for words? Find them in the Glossary of Phrases, Sayings & Words of the Realms
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000