Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Aboleth Realmslore
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

tauster
Senior Scribe

Germany
399 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2008 :  14:51:23  Show Profile  Visit tauster's Homepage Send tauster a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I did a research on Aboleth lore in FR products and would like to post the results here. The scroll is about 13 pages (A4, Verdana 8) long and is comprised of paragraphs containing the relevant quotations from various 2e and 3e sources.

Can I post it here or are there legal problems (posting portions of text from WotC books)?

I'd be happy if candlekeep's sages would join in the research and point me to other relevant sources!

Here's an Example: Aboleth lore from FR11 Dwarves Deep

p.48
“The Deeps” is a vast underground region underlying the lands east of the Shining Sea and south of the Sea of Fallen Stars. It has always been heavily populated and dangerous, with many races vying for supremacy in the Lands that Never See the Sun.
Drow kingdoms have risen and fallen several times, and duergar have made steady advances, the latter at the expense of illithids and svirfneblin, whose numbers have dwindled. Cloakers and aboleth lurk on the fringes of the Deeps, scheming to control key rivers, lakes, and mines. Intelligent fungi are plentiful, and this ready source of food has made the Deeps sought by many.
The term “The Deeps” refers to the Deep Lands, which are areas not ruled by the dwarves, and the Deep Realm, the rich land of Gold Dwarves under the Great Rift and the Shaar east and north of it.

The Deep Lands
These dangerous regions are not fully detailed here. DMs interested in expanding these notes to create their own Deep Lands are directed to the AD&D® Dungeoneer ’s Survival Guide for useful background material. A creature native to the Deeps, the Deepspawn, appears in this chapter. Notable Deep Lands features include:

The Deepfall: The Deepfall is a waterfall that takes the River Raurogh to great depths, to levels haunted by cloakers, aboleth, and worse.

p.50
Thuulurn
Population: 5,600
Titular Ruler: First Hammer of Moradin Thungalos Truetemper (LG dwarven male P10)
This is a small, fortified monastic enclave of priests dedicated to Moradin.

Keeping aloof from most Gold Dwarves, they work continuously to influence events in the Deeps and surface lands, to better the lot of all dwarves.

They have been known to hire or make deals with adventurers of all races to carry out their aims. A common payment for healing badly-beaten adventurers, or raising one or more slain party members, is to undertake a mission. Typical missions include a strike against the duergar, freeing dwarves from drow slavery in the Depths Below, slaying an aboleth at a certain underground lake, or finding and slaying the latest cloaker overlord with
designs on the Deep Realm.

p.51
Deepspawn are native to the Deeps, and have successfully resisted the attempts of dwarves, drow, duergar, cloakers, illithids, and aboleth to exterminate them.

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2008 :  15:40:56  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Tauster!

As far as I am familiar the american copy rights you can post quotations as long as you give the reference (Source and page #) as you did in your example. Therefore I see no problems. However, you might want to check the Code of Conduct of this page as it has info to posting from books, IIRC.

That said, I would like to advice you to send the complete document either as .doc or as .pdf to Alaundo our head moderator, who than may post the article with the next site's update of Candlekeep as available download for everyone. That would be a much easier format than posting every 13 pages here in this forum.

Ergdusch

"Das Gras weht im Wind, wenn der Wind weht."
Go to Top of Page

tauster
Senior Scribe

Germany
399 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2008 :  17:03:50  Show Profile  Visit tauster's Homepage Send tauster a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for pointing me to the Code of conduct!

I shortened the document and deleted most lore that is not really, actually, in earnest, aaaabsolutely essential. It is still a lot of text, but after all, there IS a lot of realmslore out there!

Here are the listed sources without any text. If the moderators allow, I'll gladly post the version with the shortened quotes.

Annotations in [Brackets] are my comments.

2nd Edition

FR11 Dwarves deep, p.48
The Deeps

p.50: Thuulurn [Dwarven city]

p.51: Deepspawn

FRM1 The jungles of Chult
p.9: Monsters

H2 The Mines of Bloodstone
p.20: History of the Duergar Realm

Demihuman Deities
p.63: Deep Duerra (Duergar Goddess)
p.85: Laduguer
p.157: Shevarash
p.174: Callarduran Smoothhands

Drizzt Do’Urden’s Guide to the Underdark
p.12-14: Aboleth [Huge amount of Aboleth lore]
p.21: Duergar, Shield Dwarves
p.22: Illithid
p.25: Ixzan
p.50: Ched Nasad
p.87: Sshamath
p.117: Sloopdilmonpolop (Notable Mages and Sages: Visil’Taphenos Meadswimmer (LN savant aboleth M12/P10 of Dumathoin))
p.120: Environs of Sloopdilmonpolop

Elminster’s Ecologies Appendix II
p.27

Elminster’s Ecologies, Book "Anauroch"
p.19, 28

TSR2125 Monstrous Compendium Forgotten Realms
Deep Dragon

The Drow of the Underdark
p.15

Menzoberranzan
FRB1, Monstrous Compendium: Alhoon (Illithilich)

Book 3, Adventure
p.41

TSR1085 FR Campaign Setting
Shadowdale [Adventure under the Old Skull]
p. 80-82, 84, 85
Monstrous Compendium Entries: Skum

3rd Edition

FR Campaign Setting
p.213: The Underdark - REGIONAL HISTORY

City of Splendours: Waterdeep
p.52: Hilithiimm Turnstone
p.57: Savants of the Dark Tide
p.74: The Kraken Society
p.108: Skullport
p.127-128: Undermountain - UM L4: THE FARMS LEVEL
p.128: UM L6: THE SEADEEPS

Serpent Kingdoms
p.45: The sarrukh - Racial History & Relations with Other Races
p.98: The Isstossef

City of the Spider Queen
p.50: Lake of Shadows
p.53: On the Lake

Races of Faerun
p.127: Water Genasi

Underdark
p.6: Planetouched
p.14: Grimlocks
p.17: Slyths
p.48: Magic & Spells
p.118: Exploring the Underdark - The Middledark
p.119: Kuo-Toas
p.121: Aboleths, Avolakias
p.123-126: The Glimmersea
p.145: Dupapn, Waters of Deep Hunger (Lower Darklands)
p.185: Vault of Conjured Madness
p.190: Shape of Water

Underdark Web Enhancement
p.4: Lords of Lowerdark Waters, The Haloclines
Go to Top of Page

dirtywick
Seeker

69 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2008 :  20:21:35  Show Profile  Visit dirtywick's Homepage Send dirtywick a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Lords of Madness has a pretty big chunk of the book dedicated to the aboleth. I haven't read half of what's up there though, so much of it might be redundant.

Subtlety of Thay Ch 1 and Ch 2 NWN2 Module
Go to Top of Page

tauster
Senior Scribe

Germany
399 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2008 :  22:27:10  Show Profile  Visit tauster's Homepage Send tauster a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yep, I know. :) LoM has probably the most extensive lore on aboleth ever, but searching through non-FR sources comes second. I first want to find as much realms-specific lore as possible.
Go to Top of Page

TomCosta
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
954 Posts

Posted - 19 Jan 2008 :  18:28:58  Show Profile Send TomCosta a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In Bruce Cordell's most recent novel, there is some reference to aboleths and it appears as though they will play a bigger role in the 4E realms (which Cordell is helping to work on) because they are mentioned in either the last two pages of the Grand History or the prologue to Salvatore's The Orc King.
Go to Top of Page

tauster
Senior Scribe

Germany
399 Posts

Posted - 19 Jan 2008 :  22:14:25  Show Profile  Visit tauster's Homepage Send tauster a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Aboleth are not mentioned even once in the Grand History, and I don't have (yet) The Orc King. Still, thanks for the hint!
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2008 :  00:51:28  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The "rise of the aboleths" is mentioned from Drizzt's perspective in The Orc King.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2008 :  08:49:45  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dirtywick

Lords of Madness has a pretty big chunk of the book dedicated to the aboleth. I haven't read half of what's up there though, so much of it might be redundant.

Well I did read about half of the aboleth chapter in Lords of Madness this week, and I have posted my gleanings on page 5 of Ed's 2008 scroll, replying to Tauster (who seems to have the bases pretty much covered, if I know my aboleths).

Unfortunately, it's late, I'm very tired, and I am totally blanking out on the circumstances surrounding Elaine's use of an aboleth in that novel about Whatshername the Drow who goes to sea with a Berserker and meets all sorts of interesting creatures and then kills them. Drow ... Ruathym pirates ... sea devils ... fifty or sixty thousand Tuigan ... that one.

I have a mouth, but I am in a library and must not scream.

Feed the poor and stroke your ego, too: http://www.freerice.com/index.php.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2008 :  11:14:41  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jamallo Kreen

quote:
Originally posted by dirtywick

Well I did read about half of the aboleth chapter in Lords of Madness this week, and I have posted my gleanings on page 5 of Ed's 2008 scroll, replying to Tauster (who seems to have the bases pretty much covered, if I know my aboleths).

Unfortunately, it's late, I'm very tired, and I am totally blanking out on the circumstances surrounding Elaine's use of an aboleth in that novel about Whatshername the Drow who goes to sea with a Berserker and meets all sorts of interesting creatures and then kills them. Drow ... Ruathym pirates ... sea devils ... fifty or sixty thousand Tuigan ... that one.

The aboleth was being used to extract info from the mind of captives. It would eat someone, then the mind flayer (Vestriss, I want to say her name was) would psychically attack the aboleth to see if she could get the memories of the dead person (since aboleths can absorb memories and such from the minds of their meals).

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

tauster
Senior Scribe

Germany
399 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2008 :  11:58:28  Show Profile  Visit tauster's Homepage Send tauster a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert
The aboleth was being used to extract info from the mind of captives. It would eat someone, then the mind flayer (Vestriss, I want to say her name was) would psychically attack the aboleth to see if she could get the memories of the dead person (since aboleths can absorb memories and such from the minds of their meals).

That's quite interesting. I always imagined aboleth as vastly more psionically powerful than illithid. The attack-tactic would imply that this individual illithid is at least as powerful as that individual aboleth...
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2008 :  12:35:18  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tauster

quote:

That's quite interesting. I always imagined aboleth as vastly more psionically powerful than illithid. The attack-tactic would imply that this individual illithid is at least as powerful as that individual aboleth...

As I recall, the illithid sometimes won, and the aboleth sometimes won. I think the time we see it in the book, the aboleth wins.

Psionically speaking, the more powerful individual has the advantage... But someone who is psionically "nimble" and skilled with the various attack forms can get around that brute strength, if they're careful.

Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2008 :  14:39:34  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't have Elaine's books at hand to look up the name of the one who worked with the aboleth, but "Vestriss" was the name of Teldin Moore's friend in the Cloakmaster Cycle. I don't think the two mind flayers shared a name, and I'm fairly certain that they were different creatures. (What would a spelljamming mind flayer want with some out-of-the-way rocks off a useless coast in a technological backwater, hmmm?)

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2008 :  17:32:03  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I don't have Elaine's books at hand to look up the name of the one who worked with the aboleth,

Neither do I. I've not replaced them yet.

quote:

but "Vestriss" was the name of Teldin Moore's friend in the Cloakmaster Cycle. I don't think the two mind flayers shared a name, and I'm fairly certain that they were different creatures. (What would a spelljamming mind flayer want with some out-of-the-way rocks off a useless coast in a technological backwater, hmmm?)

Oops, my bad. That's what I get for winging it!

At least the name I recalled was the name of an illithid, even if it was the wrong one!

Go to Top of Page

sparhawk42
Learned Scribe

104 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2008 :  19:05:37  Show Profile  Visit sparhawk42's Homepage Send sparhawk42 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

I don't have Elaine's books at hand to look up the name of the one who worked with the aboleth,

Neither do I. I've not replaced them yet.

quote:

but "Vestriss" was the name of Teldin Moore's friend in the Cloakmaster Cycle. I don't think the two mind flayers shared a name, and I'm fairly certain that they were different creatures. (What would a spelljamming mind flayer want with some out-of-the-way rocks off a useless coast in a technological backwater, hmmm?)

Oops, my bad. That's what I get for winging it!

At least the name I recalled was the name of an illithid, even if it was the wrong one!

I am pretty sure the name of the mind flayer from Elaine's book was Vestress. Vestriss is very close so you didn't miss by much!

You never fail until you stop trying.
Go to Top of Page

sparhawk42
Learned Scribe

104 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2008 :  00:48:48  Show Profile  Visit sparhawk42's Homepage Send sparhawk42 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Okay, now I am very confused. I checked my books to make sure my previous post was correct and in my copy of Tangled Webs the illithid is called Vestress but in my copy of Wind Walker she is called Vestriss. Does anyone know which spelling it is and why it is different in separate books?

Go to Top of Page

dirtywick
Seeker

69 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2008 :  05:16:12  Show Profile  Visit dirtywick's Homepage Send dirtywick a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I figured it was a typo when I read it.

Subtlety of Thay Ch 1 and Ch 2 NWN2 Module
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6646 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2008 :  13:43:47  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's Vestress.

The editing on "Windwalker" was absolutely horrendous and the mangling of some of the FR names therein borders on the criminal.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 28 Jan 2008 :  04:14:37  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That resolved, shall we entertain proposals on how to milk Ed for lore on the ancient aboleths of Abeir-Toril? I'm going to try a new question tonight.

Go to Top of Page

sparhawk42
Learned Scribe

104 Posts

Posted - 28 Jan 2008 :  21:39:36  Show Profile  Visit sparhawk42's Homepage Send sparhawk42 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

It's Vestress.

The editing on "Windwalker" was absolutely horrendous and the mangling of some of the FR names therein borders on the criminal.

-- George Krashos

Okay, thanks for the info and sorry I didn't mean to hijack the thread.

Go to Top of Page

AlorinDawn
Learned Scribe

USA
313 Posts

Posted - 28 Jan 2008 :  21:49:10  Show Profile  Visit AlorinDawn's Homepage Send AlorinDawn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

It's Vestress.

-- George Krashos

More quality from WotC....

The reasons to not buy anything else from these jackasses keeps piling on.
Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 28 Jan 2008 :  23:40:23  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Does anyone know of a commercially available aboleth miniature in 25 mm (normal wargame scale) or 28 mm (idiotic, oversized D&D Minis scale)?

Go to Top of Page

tauster
Senior Scribe

Germany
399 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2008 :  11:09:45  Show Profile  Visit tauster's Homepage Send tauster a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Does anyone know of a commercially available aboleth miniature in 25 mm (normal wargame scale) or 28 mm (idiotic, oversized D&D Minis scale)?

...just a crazy thought...
if you want a free, movable aboleth miniature, go out on the lawn and find a slug (nudibranch)!

...Oh, and please do us a favour and take a picture from your player's faces whan you put the "miniature aboleth" on the battlemap!
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2008 :  12:24:58  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is the closest thing I've ever seen to an official one:

http://www.frpgames.com/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=39741
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2008 :  12:27:07  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

...just a crazy thought...
if you want a free, movable aboleth miniature, go out on the lawn and find a slug (nudibranch)!

...Oh, and please do us a favour and take a picture from your player's faces whan you put the "miniature aboleth" on the battlemap!

Yeah, but then an enterprising mage comes up with the wall of salt spell, and there goes the encounter!

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2008 :  12:28:19  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by KnightErrantJR

This is the closest thing I've ever seen to an official one:

http://www.frpgames.com/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=39741

It doesn't really look like an aboleth... But mother of Lurue, it's creepy looking!

Go to Top of Page

ShadezofDis
Senior Scribe

402 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2008 :  15:12:11  Show Profile  Visit ShadezofDis's Homepage Send ShadezofDis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Yeah, but then an enterprising mage comes up with the wall of salt spell, and there goes the encounter!

Psh, that's what Enslave is for.

Enslave the fighters to take care of said mage. (stupid will saves)

:D
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 30 Jan 2008 :  12:27:08  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I don't have Elaine's books at hand to look up the name of the one who worked with the aboleth, but "Vestriss" was the name of Teldin Moore's friend in the Cloakmaster Cycle. I don't think the two mind flayers shared a name, and I'm fairly certain that they were different creatures. (What would a spelljamming mind flayer want with some out-of-the-way rocks off a useless coast in a technological backwater, hmmm?)

I found the books the other day, while looking for something else... Teldin Moore's illithid buddy was Estriss. Close, but not quite the same.

Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 30 Jan 2008 :  23:24:28  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
*sigh*

As my hero, Michel de Montaigne, was wont to say: "What do I know?"

Go to Top of Page

Zireael
Master of Realmslore

Poland
1190 Posts

Posted - 07 Oct 2010 :  14:52:17  Show Profile  Visit Zireael's Homepage Send Zireael a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Here are the listed sources without any text. If the moderators allow, I'll gladly post the version with the shortened quotes.
<snip>

What happened to it? Is it on Candlekeep or somewhere? I'm going to make a half-aboleth, so I'll probably need this research.

SiNafay Vrinn, the daughter of Lloth, from Ched Nasad!

http://zireael07.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

Ionik Knight
Learned Scribe

USA
222 Posts

Posted - 07 Oct 2010 :  19:16:12  Show Profile  Visit Ionik Knight's Homepage Send Ionik Knight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Here's the D&D minis version.
Loooonnggg link!
Personally I prefer the Reaper version.

Mod edit: Cast shrinky link.

Fools to right of them,
Jesters to left of them,
Clowns in front of them
Pun'd and parody'd.

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 08 Oct 2010 04:03:59
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page